Pete: We wanted Wilson, even in the 2nd round

themunn

Reaction score
Pete; “Hey Russell, I know we selected you in the 3rd round, but we really wanted you in the 2nd round. So, here’s a contract worthy of a 2nd round pick.” What? That didn’t happen? Pete Carroll is just full of it? Still? Shocking!

That's my favourite, someone who clearly isn't aware of both the rookie payscale and the fact that Seattle offered Russell Wilson the absolute maximum possible contract for a 3rd round pick to get him to sign as quickly as possible, a move which caused delays in other third round picks getting signed as agents used this to try and negotiate more money

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
themunn":1c6zz715 said:
That's my favourite, someone who clearly isn't aware of both the rookie payscale and the fact that Seattle offered Russell Wilson the absolute maximum possible contract for a 3rd round pick to get him to sign as quickly as possible, a move which caused delays in other third round picks getting signed as agents used this to try and negotiate more money

Yeah, I forgot he was one of the first players to sign last offseason. Thanks for the refresher.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
jkitsune":oq4q6zf1 said:
Man. I don't think, if I were that high on Wilson, that I could have risked waiting. Certainly don't know that I would have risked not trading up a few picks to get above teams like the Chiefs who were every bit as likely to take a QB. Glad it worked out, but yikes, what a gamble.

Me neither. Remind me never to play poker with Carroll and Schneider!

StaffAmerica74

Reaction score
Everyone on there acting like seattle is saying this in hindsight... its pretty well documented a few days after the draft, Pete said John wanted him in the 2nd and they had to talk him out of doing it.

uncle fester

Reaction score
kearly":uf6tr6ud said:
There were a lot of haters in there saying Pete's a liar because if he really wanted Wilson in the 1st or 2nd he would have just taken him there, ignoring the stated logic and obvious results of what Seattle actually did. Pretty stupid. There was a great comment in there that just nailed those idiots, I loved it:

Glad the armchair GMs willing to burn 1st round picks on players they could’ve got in the 3rd aren’t in charge of my team.

Umm... That one you quoted was me. I'm sorry, I have an unhealthy addiction - replying to haters on PFT comment threads. It's an addiction I'm trying to kick... :?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Carroll and Schneider were blowing smoke about Ryan Tannehill in the days before the draft. Somehow I knew they were targeting Wilson. After watching his "Ultimate Russell Wilson highlights video" on Youtube, it was jaw-dropping stuff, play after play after play, especially considering all the pressure situations he was in. All I can figure is whatever other teams watched it had already dismissed Wilson based on height; the human brain's "confirmation bias" at work. Overruling logical points like the fact that Wilson's O-line at Wisconsin was bigger and taller than most NFL lines, and he seemed to succeed anyway. One photo on .NET had Pete pretending not to be paying attention during Wilson's combine workout, listening to some other speaker. I posted a pre-draft mock with Hawks taking Wilson in the 3rd, but damned if I can find it. (learn how to search? Where did that draft forum go?) It was funny all the projections of 6th round or UDFA that showed up in the media. By draft day, the buzz was 4th or 5th round. I was worried someone would snag him in the 2nd round. I knew the 'Hawks would take Wilson in the 3rd round, and not risk losing him by waiting to the 4th. I think PC/JS later say they had a grade of "3rd" on him, but what they meant was 3rd OVERALL in the draft, not 3rd round. My guess would be RGIII and someone else, not necessarily Luck, were the first 2 on their big board. Just showed how highly they thought of him, and yeah, I'll bet each pick waiting to 75 was like living and dying, hoping not to have Wilson plucked out from under them.

kearly

Reaction score
-The Glove-":35yb8959 said:
It sounds like we're the new most hated team in the league. A lot of jealous, uneducated fans on that board.

Then again, all the stupid anti-Seahawks comments were voted way down and all the pro-Seahawks comments were voted way up.

kearly

Reaction score
uncle fester":budbx6dl said:
Umm... That one you quoted was me. I'm sorry, I have an unhealthy addiction - replying to haters on PFT comment threads. It's an addiction I'm trying to kick... :?

Good work.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I will be honest... I thought Seneca Wallace when they drafted him. Maybe a better passer but not much more. Glad I was wrong

jewhawk

Reaction score
jkitsune":s5oy3dw3 said:
Man. I don't think, if I were that high on Wilson, that I could have risked waiting. Certainly don't know that I would have risked not trading up a few picks to get above teams like the Chiefs who were every bit as likely to take a QB. Glad it worked out, but yikes, what a gamble.
Agree with this.

Philly also supposedly really liked Wilson and took a similar risk. They took Vinny Curry at the end of the 2nd round and targeted Wilson with their 3rd round pick. Wilson didn't make it to their 3rd round pick, the guy they drafted instead of him (Foles) was unspectacular, Curry had 9 tackles and no sacks as a rookie, and Andy Reid lost his job. I'm glad it worked out, but I consider it incredibly lucky that it worked out the way it did. There were plenty of teams ahead of us that could have taken him too. Buffalo, Jacksonville, and Kansas City all picked in the 6 spots before #75 and all had questionable at best QB situations. Now all of those teams have new coaches and two have new GMs. The Redskins could have taken him at #71 too, as they obviously wanted a mid-rounder to back up RG3 and were another team that supposedly liked Wilson going into the draft.

It's crazy to think that Pete and John would probably be entering this season on the hot seat instead of as Super Bowl favorites if one of those teams had taken Wilson before our pick.

Hawks46

Reaction score
In hindsight, we all know Wilson was worth a 1st. That jades us a little bit. I personally thought he'd be good in a couple of years, and a capable backup for Flynn his rookie year. I theorized that it would take him a year or two to digest the NFL's speed, and adjust to the larger players. Thing was, I KNEW Wisconsin's OL that year would've been the 4th biggest in the NFL. All of the media hype kinda sunk in, so even though the signs were there, I also dismissed him for height issues and the general consensus that NFL QB's take a couple of years or so to season. Funny thing is, I also think that intangibles are more important to a QB than physical tangibles, and I ignored that with Wilson as well.

The pure genius of this move was made before the draft. We went and got Flynn for bargain basement starter money, with the FO thinking he'd probably beat out TJack and either be a bridge starter until we got our draft pick we wanted, or possibly taking over the team and taking that next step; he had that potential. So we had the luxury of being able to wait, since we had Flynn and Jackson ready to duke it out and the team would've been better for it anyways. After the Flynn signing, we weren't technically a QB needy team. So all the people thinking we were playing a game of chicken with other teams are right, but we already had a backup plan on the roster. Or vice versa, maybe Wilson was the backup plan. Either way, it was covered, in more than one way

Hawks46

Reaction score
Funny, here's a backhanded comment that said pretty much what I did. You can tell the guy's a hater, but he respects the move:

"Remember, the Searats didn’t necessarily need a QB because they thought their free agent signing of Matt Flynn was going to be the franchise QB. They didn’t need to spend a first round draft choice on a QB. I hate to say it but Cheatey Petey did a great job in evaluating Wilson and others in that draft. The so-called experts need to re-evaluate their scouting of QBs and this desire for a “prototypical” QB size. They need to go for leaders with skill, not meatheads with “prototypical” QB size like Vince Young, Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, Jawalrus, Matt Leinart, etc"

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
I believe them. They had a 2nd round (if not higher) grade on him but they were 100% sure they had the pulse of the league and knew he would be there at a better value in the 3rd. That's great Draft management all the around. They didn't panic and draft the player they wanted and sacrifice a higher pick and another player (All rookie-team MLB) Wagner. They played it perfectly and we had one of the best drafts in the last decade.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
In hindsight I would now be okay with taking Russell in the 2nd. Although I would hate to not have Bobby on our team as well.

grizbob

Reaction score
Blitzer88":vm4hiz1u said:
In hindsight I would now be okay with taking Russell in the 2nd. Although I would hate to not have Bobby on our team as well.

Well hell, if we're talking hindsight I would be fine with the 1st. And it the league had a do over he possibly would go 1st over all to the Colts :D

McGruff

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1spv9pvv said:
rainger":1spv9pvv said:
McGruff":1spv9pvv said:
Any QB could succeed in our system.
:pukeface: :pukeface:

Yup, that's what we got from Tavares Jackson. Nothing but success. :p:shock:

Hey Jackson was better in 2011 than Andrew Luck was in 2012 . . . And Luck is considered a "stud".

WarHawks

Reaction score
grizbob":aks1ur9x said:
Blitzer88":aks1ur9x said:

Well hell, if we're talking hindsight I would be fine with the 1st. And it the league had a do over he possibly would go 1st over all to the Colts :D

:13: I agree. I was lamenting this franchise's inability to find an elite franchise qb prior to last year (and refusing to suck for Luck), and now they have greatly earned my respect and gratitude. Well done Pete and John!