Gonzaga, new #1 in the nation?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2osj1tgj said:
Credit to Southern. That was a hell of a game. I can't believe they were a 16 seed. I think they could have taken down a 2 or 3 seed easy.
Agree. I think Zags have a bit of an easier time with Witchita St. though it ain't gonna be a cakewalk either.

GO ZAGS!!

GCrow

Reaction score
I think Gonzaga should be able to win tonight though will be in pretty tough and not the greatest matchup for them. Hopefully got the rust from the long layoff they had out of the way and will be a bit more lively right from the tip.

Wichita St. seems like a really tough, physical team who really slows it down big time (would fit in the Big 10 well). If the 2 Canucks ball out and run that pick and roll they do so well, efficiently the Zags should be good.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Well, it sure looks like Few has no idea how to coach in the NCAAs. He was gifted an Elite Eight with the losses of both Wisconsin and KSU, and he still couldn't prepare his team properly. He just can't handle the burden of expectation.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1mxr6rvq said:
Well, it sure looks like Few has no idea how to coach in the NCAAs. He was gifted an Elite Eight with the losses of both Wisconsin and KSU, and he still couldn't prepare his team properly. He just can't handle the burden of expectation.

As a Zag fan Few has costly said and held the view that he would rather have teams shot 3's than give up 2's. The problem with that thought is that the last few years we have been knocked out because of teams killing us from deep. Learn to change Few!!!!

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Collossal failure how do you let one of the worst shooting teams in the tourney go off on you like that? It didn't help that Bell was injured but man that was brutal. I feel like I have been kicked in the stomach.

The Radish

Reaction score
Blitzer88":29verknr said:
Sarlacc83":29verknr said:

As a Zag fan Few has costly said and held the view that he would rather have teams shot 3's than give up 2's. The problem with that thought is that the last few years we have been knocked out because of teams killing us from deep. Learn to change Few!!!!

I call bullshit on that this year Blitz. Mark Few said they got lazy going out to cover those 3s and got burned by it. And he was right

The real problem is they were thinking they were #1 ranked/rated Gonzaga in that first game and because of the level of teams they mostly play they almost got burned. Did they learn anything from that? Nooooooooooo. (also pretty hard for them not to be thinking that after the previous weeks emotions)

Started out again like they were thinking they were #1 ranked/rated Gonzaga they can catch up. Got behind a mile and had to use so much energy not letting them get any further ahead and then catching up they didn't have it at the end. You've all seen teams do that in all levels of play.

And stop this whining about Few. I can see the ones that are going to blame him are probably the same ones that were screaming at me what a great defense they have. Well where the hell was it?

I still say they have been way overranked in recent years and people have been ignoring the fact that their league is a cake walk not much above Jr. College level.(Not saying they are, but their league is) Playing 3-4 tough teams a season does not make you ready to face teams that face tough teams every week. I'm not saying they're bad its just a matter of real competition every game.

I've never subscribed to the storyline anytime that they have a line up that compares with many of the strong east coast/midwest/southern leagues. But many of you were screaming at me how tough they were. Please remember "tough" is a relative term.

One thing the media said yesterday and in the sports pages today is this will have a back lash on their program as far as ratings are concerned. They won't be so quick to say they are top 10 or better and rated #1 in the tourney.

Remember 2-3 years ago when they got rated in the lower half of the ladder and got bounced the first game? That's the kind of thing that might happen in the next few seasons. The ratings I mean not necessarily the play.

And Few? Be damned glad he's the coach there. Not being a fan even I can see what a great job he does and how much money he's turned down to go elsewhere.

:les:

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Well the almighty Hoosiers almost went down but unlike Wichita they didn't hit 15 threes and still should have won. I'll have to take some kind of solace from this somehow.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2csn4daf said:
Hate to say 'I told you so' (I don't), but I told you so.

You also said OSU was legit. It looks like the non-Kansas part of the Big 12 suuuuuuuuucked.

gspin2k1

Reaction score
Zag 2001 Alumni. Been waiting 12 years for anything beyond a sweet sixteen and disappointed each time, hell the two times we were a #1 and #2 seed we didn't even make it to the sweet sixteen in the first place. I honestly still left all my Seahawk banners/posters/pictures up throughout the college basketball season just because I'm so disappointed with the Zags every year. Don't get me wrong, I root for them during games, but I've just stopped expecting them to do well. I had them out of the sweet sixteen in my bracket this year and even then I had a hard time picking them to make it even that far (which they didn't). I don't know what kind of fan this makes me, fair weather? bitter? realistic?

The Radish

Reaction score
gspin2k1":1qpwbug4 said:
Zag 2001 Alumni. Been waiting 12 years for anything beyond a sweet sixteen and disappointed each time, hell the two times we were a #1 and #2 seed we didn't even make it to the sweet sixteen in the first place. I honestly still left all my Seahawk banners/posters/pictures up throughout the college basketball season just because I'm so disappointed with the Zags every year. Don't get me wrong, I root for them during games, but I've just stopped expecting them to do well. I had them out of the sweet sixteen in my bracket this year and even then I had a hard time picking them to make it even that far (which they didn't). I don't know what kind of fan this makes me, fair weather? bitter? realistic?

More realistic than most Zags fans.

:roll: