Percy Harvin's Availaibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
T-Sizzle":35pfy12k said:
Zebulon Dak":35pfy12k said:
I honestly didn't think PC & JS were going to make this move. I still don't think Percy's much better than Golden but I'll be more than happy to be wrong about that and I'm absolutely looking forward to seeing them on the field at the same time. I think they're going to give defenses fits. So far, I'm glad things have worked out the way they have.

So basically you want to stand by what you said but the second the season starts you can fall in love with harvin?

I'm already in love with Harvin. I've always liked him and I'm happy he's a Seahawk. What's it matter to you anyway?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
And if you're gonna call somebody out tell the whole story or you might end up looking like an asshole.

Zebulon Dak":2ufm50nu said:
Harvin's a playmaker with an unflattering injury history. If PC & JS thought he was the guy to take us to the next level then I'd be totally stoked to bring him in at whatever price they think he's worth. But I doubt they do it and I honestly don't think that, as a WR, he's much better than Golden Tate, if at all. As a "flex" type player, sure, he adds a whole nother element. He's gonna want a lot of money, and he's probably gonna get it.

You're selling Tate short. Look at what he did when he did get the ball. He's a playmaker. He's probably not better than Percy Harvin but he's not much of a drop off talent-wise as a WR.

He also has a pretty unfavorable injury history and is going to demand a pretty large contract. I'm not saying we shouldn't do it, or that we won't, but I can see why we wouldn't if we don't. I will definitely not be mad about it either way.

Seaman

Reaction score
I bet on 16:1 odds that we got Percy Harvin this year in FA while at Vegas! and I bet $1000! Laughing my way to the bank @this thread :D Where's my bookie?! I want my $16,000!!!

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Seaman":1pjmzbsw said:
I bet on 16:1 odds that we got Percy Harvin this year in FA while at Vegas! and I bet $1000! Laughing my way to the bank @this thread :D Where's my bookie?! I want my $16,000!!!

:lol:

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Seaman":2oo78ync said:

Congrats, Man!! That's great!!

But c'mon with the 16-1 odds. We know better than that.

Largent80 got 16-1 odds on the Seahawks winning 8 or more games last year while everybody else in the world who made that bet had to pay -110 on the line and he cashed for a cool 16GRAND so you must have gotten something closer to 30-1...

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I think Zeb and others made good points. The fact is, if you go by FO's stats for WR's and that's pretty much accepted around here, Harvin has never had a single season as good as the one Tate just finished. Not even close. And that includes when Favre was throwing to him. In fact, Baldwin's first season ranks equal to Harvin's best season.

So people are right to say he isn't really an upgrade over what we already have.

Why they're also right to be happy as heck we got him is because he's an upgrade OVERALL. He allows us to do things we can't do with the other WR's. Harvin upgrades us - amazingly, considering how good Leon was - on special teams. Harvin allows us to do things with our read option the other WR's didn't give us. Harvin is a deep threat alongside Rice. All those things don't make him better than the WR's we already have, he makes the TEAM better by adding his skills to what we already have.

I think many people around here buy into the notion we don't have good WR;s. Well, we do. And now, with Harvin, we have even MORE good WR's.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Wenhawk, if you're going to dig through this thread and try and serve up some crow, I don't know how you can gloss over my post on the matter. I have no problems eating crow and the funny thing is I was on board with the Harvin deal once it got done. The cost wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, and Harvin really won me over with his press conference after the deal. He seemed genuinely excited to be a part of this thing. Figure everyone would enjoy a laugh at my general direction.

NYCoug":2uf2vj2n said:
I've thought about this for a while before deciding to throw my opinion into the fray. At the end of the day, I just don't see it. Yes, Percy Harvin is one of the best receivers in the league and one of the most electrifying players in the league, period. There's no denying that. However, am I willing to sink a 2nd round pick and mass amounts of dollar dollar bills y'all at him? NO. Here's why... (half joking, but still pretty serious)

1) His "rap sheet" goes way beyond his time in Minnesota. Dating back to his days at Florida, he's the type of entitled star athlete that I absolutely can not stand. From trying to Sprewell/Carlesimo one of his coaches, to throwing a weight at Brad Childress. The man is a loose cannon. I'm not sure whether you can trust a guy like that on a Super Bowl caliber team? His whole career screams Andre Rison. I wonder what female celebrity will slash his tires and torch his house?

2) I don't like the message it sends to the rest of the team. You bring in this whiny little bitch and pay him a ton of money while other guys who have done more for the shirt are making peanuts. Not a fan of that.

3) It's much more fun to destroy the will of a man like Percy Harvin and watch him whine on the sidelines than to actually have him on your team. That act would get tired REAL QUICK.

4) I'm sure Pete Carroll would set him straight, but why mess with a good thing chemistry wise?

5) If John Schneider can find our franchise quarterback, lord and savior, in the 3rd round than why can't we just find our own Percy Harvin? The Packers drafted a reasonable facsimile in Randall Cobb and it only took them a 2nd rounder. I'm content with keeping the focus on the defense, shoring up the defensive line and LB spots that need shoring up, and especially the pass rush while also supplementing the offense with a shiny new toy somewhere along the way. I get that Harvin, in essence, would be costing us that same 2nd rounder that the Packers were able to snag Cobb with, but Cobb comes free of headaches (pun intended) and baggage. I'd much rather go that route.

Of course, as I told JonRud, if the Hawks did trade for Harvin and could sign him to a reasonable deal I'd be elated. Who am I kidding. He's a rare talent. However, if it were up to me (and aren't you all glad it's not), I'd stay away from Percy.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":9vc7pvxp said:
T-Sizzle":9vc7pvxp said:
Zebulon Dak":9vc7pvxp said:
I honestly didn't think PC & JS were going to make this move. I still don't think Percy's much better than Golden but I'll be more than happy to be wrong about that and I'm absolutely looking forward to seeing them on the field at the same time. I think they're going to give defenses fits. So far, I'm glad things have worked out the way they have.

So basically you want to stand by what you said but the second the season starts you can fall in love with harvin?

I'm already in love with Harvin. I've always liked him and I'm happy he's a Seahawk. What's it matter to you anyway?

Hard to tell you like him from the first 5 pages of this thread. What does it matter to me? Its the internet, with faceless people I will never meet.....doesn't matter to me, I am just pointing out the differences in commentary pre and post Harvin. Clearly it matters to you, reminds me of Flynn vs Wilson..... funny how the Flynn crowd went from hatting Wilson to being HUGE supporters.

Whatever bro.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Hey, we're all diehards here for the most part, so of course people are going to pick a side (human nature) and ultimately root for the team (being a diehard). All the Flynn/Wilson, Harvin debates are what makes it fun to be a fan and check out this site. There's a lot of people with a lot of different opinions but at the end of the day everyone just wants to see the Hawks win.

I was a Wilson dude all the way, but I have absolutely no problem with Flynn supporters loving Russ too now. They'd be fools and awful fans if they didn't.

pehawk

Reaction score
What's wrong with throwing weights at Childress? He looks like Dr Phil with AIDS, it's VERY deserving.

Harvin/Avril/Bennett is Ruskell's 2006 offseason. JS and Pete are now all-in, it'll make or break the SB window, IMO. They' they've made their living off their ballsy moves, so, no reason to doubt this one.

IMO, Harvin's been a slight diva due to his circumstances. Same for the odd injury list. Harvin just wants to win, and if he does, that'll cure everything for him. Harvin was probably that one kid, we were all teammates with in pop warner, who cried after every loss.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
NYCoug":10ubsm9c said:
Hey, we're all diehards here for the most part, so of course people are going to pick a side (human nature) and ultimately root for the team (being a diehard). All the Flynn/Wilson, Harvin debates are what makes it fun to be a fan and check out this site. There's a lot of people with a lot of different opinions but at the end of the day everyone just wants to see the Hawks win.

I was a Wilson dude all the way, but I have absolutely no problem with Flynn supporters loving Russ too now. They'd be fools and awful fans if they didn't.

I have no problem with any of them.....just wish "I was wrong" was in the vocab of people.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Any off field concerns about Harvin are still completely valid, though I suspect they will take a couple of years to come to fruition. Pete and John are selling sunshine and lollipops for Harvin right now, but the deal they made with him has a back door after 3 years. The potential for him to be a problem is not lost on them. And Harvin is not immune to on field dogging it when he feels petulant. This is still a high risk move. Though the Houshmanzadeh cut would suggest they would get rid of Harvin and still pay him if they thought he was being a bitch.

I was stunned by the move. the only receivers they had explored trading picks for in the past were Vincent Jackson and Brandon Marshall, both big targets who are more post up players than speed players, and would have cost maybe even more than Harvin. Vincent Jackson's DUI's and Brandon Marshall's constant issues suggest that there is very little off field debris they won't sort through, but the simple truth is San Diego wanted too much and was just using us to set a market, and Seattle met with Marshall but never made an offer for him that we know of(ignore the price Chicago paid, it was a weekend fire sale because Miami thought he had an impending legal issue that never materialized).

I was afraid Harvin would be too expensive, and that could very well prove to be true if the legion of boom loses players due to a lack of cap down the road. PeHawk called this an all or nothing move, he isn't wrong.

There are only two things that made this move acceptable to me, and one of them is being ignored by Wen as he tries to make people accountable for their words. First, we were bidding against San Francisco. I don't normally put too much stock in keeping players away from other teams, but in this case San Fran is so much more than a division rival, we are talking about two of the top 5 teams in the NFL. Harvin could be the difference between home playoff games and road games for us and them. The other thing? Harvin will make other phases of our offense better. Golden Tate very well might have his best year, and in fact he should. Contract year/defensive attention on Harvin should push him to new standards for yards and catches. Golden will see more single coverage this year than he ever has before.

I watched the San Fran/Minnesota game a few days back just to see what effect Harvin had on Vic Fangio's defense. The Vikes have shitty receivers, but they and Ponder had good days vs the Niners secondary, and did Rudolph. San Fran was more concerned with stopping Harvin than Peterson. No joke. Harvin still got his, and wrecked the Niners D in the process.

Still a gamble, though. A big one.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":3v4y8tko said:
NYCoug":3v4y8tko said:

I have no problem with any of them.....just wish "I was wrong" was in the vocab of people.

Yep that's all I wanted to see. I understand this is a great place to voice our opinions and talk hawks, but how is it not entertaining to go back and look at what some people said pre Harvin trade.

NYCOug, I originally went back tot he thread to see what I had said pre Harvin wasnt even sure where I stood myself, then when I read some people's comments I had to post. But I dodn't think I made it to yours before I posted.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3n4zsvsn said:
T-Sizzle":3n4zsvsn said:
NYCoug":3n4zsvsn said:

Yep that's all I wanted to see. I understand this is a great place to voice our opinions and talk hawks, but how is it not entertaining to go back and look at what some people said pre Harvin trade.

NYCOug, I originally went back tot he thread to see what I had said pre Harvin wasnt even sure where I stood myself, then when I read some people's comments I had to post. But I dodn't think I made it to yours before I posted.

Oh, no doubt it's entertaining. And yeah, it'd be nice to hear people say "I was wrong" (like I was about the Hawks getting Harvin), but generally most people in life have a hard time saying that phrase haha

And great post Scott (e), you said it better than I ever could.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1ajs1tb7 said:
Hard to tell you like him from the first 5 pages of this thread. What does it matter to me? Its the internet, with faceless people I will never meet.....doesn't matter to me, I am just pointing out the differences in commentary pre and post Harvin. Clearly it matters to you, reminds me of Flynn vs Wilson..... funny how the Flynn crowd went from hatting Wilson to being HUGE supporters.

Whatever bro.

READ my posts. I didn't think PC & JS were going to make the move and I gave the reasons why I didn't think they would do that. I NEVER said anything about not liking Harvin. Just because I like Golden Tate that somehow means I don't like Harvin?

It's people like you that made the Flynn/Wilson/TJ debate unbearable. Acting like you have to pick an allegiance and then stick with it or that it even matters a little bit what we think is going to happen. Who cares?? I'm a Seahawks fan and as I said from the start with every move they make, I'm behind it if they think it helps make the team better. So somebody who supported Flynn is supposed to not like Wilson now? FOH. That's not how it works. That's stupid. We're fans of the team and we support the players on the team. I have no problem admitting I was wrong about this deal. I already have. I didn't think it would happen and I had valid reasons why I didn't think it would happen. But it did and I'm glad it did. Why is that so hard to understand? I was also wrong about the Falcons game. I thought we were going to win it. You gonna call me out on that too? You want me to eat some crow for that?

And again, @ you and especially Wen. You take one sentence I said about not thinking Percy is that much better than or of the same skill level as Golden Tate and that somehow means I'm against getting Harvin? No. I don't think RW is that much better than Aaron Rogers, if at all, does that mean I don't like RW? FOH. If you can't acknowledge everything I said then don't acknowledge any of it, not if you're gonna call me out and try serve up crow.

Y'all can take your bullshit somewhere else. I'm gonna support the team they put on the field regardless.

Largent80

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1uk9vlpl said:
Seaman":1uk9vlpl said:

Congrats, Man!! That's great!!

But c'mon with the 16-1 odds. We know better than that.

Largent80 got 16-1 odds on the Seahawks winning 8 or more games last year while everybody else in the world who made that bet had to pay -110 on the line and he cashed for a cool 16GRAND so you must have gotten something closer to 30-1...

Just used the rest to put down $8000 on my new car !!!!

Just picked it up Saturday........ :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.