Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Kam Chancellor seems to have been in slight decline. If they wait a year, they may be able to sign him cheaper. I think it's worth the risk to wait to sign Bam-Bam.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":glpeoirg said:
Kam Chancellor seems to have been in slight decline. If they wait a year, they may be able to sign him cheaper. I think it's worth the risk to wait to sign Bam-Bam.

I think Kam played hurt last season, more than we realized. He had surprise surgery right after the season ended.

That more than anything explains his "decline".

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":paqzahe7 said:
I've been corresponding with the founder of one of the salary cap sites and apparently there was another adjustment just prior to free agency from the $13.2M figure that's been widely reported. In fact, the Seahawks got another $1M or so adjusted upward so our total cap is $137.2M. I've been posting updates in the stickied thread up top but I thought this was important enough to post by itself.

Seahawks right now have about $6.5M in available space, even after rookies are signed they would have over $6M. Probably enough to sign another mid-level veteran and work out an extension with Chancellor if the parties are willing.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but did he happen to mention where that extra came from? I had been wondering if the Redskins/Cowboys penalty was counted in the original number, as that was supposed to be dispersed amongst other teams to insure that enough money was being spent (per CBA rules). I am guessing that this may be that money

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
I wouldn't wait around and try to get too cute with Kam. He is due to bounce back and resume playing at his 2011 pro-bowl level. Plus, with our improved pass rush all the DB's should be even that much better. More plays and stats for Bam Bam more paper in his wallet this or next off season.

I've read & heard from John, Pete, and even whoever ran into him at the ATL airport from these forums posted that Kam said they're working hard to get a deal done. I anticipate one very soon.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
kidhawk":35iljfek said:
I mentioned this in the other thread, but did he happen to mention where that extra came from? I had been wondering if the Redskins/Cowboys penalty was counted in the original number, as that was supposed to be dispersed amongst other teams to insure that enough money was being spent (per CBA rules). I am guessing that this may be that money

I haven't heard anywhere that the Redskins/Cowboys situation had anything to do with it. It is just the final true up after going through all the previous year deals and considering lost incentives, etc. I didn't get specifics.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Probably why JS mentioned now they were looking to some of our own extensions as a priority.

Dang, this really is a well oiled machine in all aspects. Everything really is aligning for an incredible run this year.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Not to fuel speculation, but just reading between the lines on some of Kam's recent tweets, they might have hit a snag:

Kameron‏@Kam_Chancellor24 Mar
NFL=Not For Long.... #Truth

luke snitzler‏@Luke537724 Mar
@Kam_Chancellor kam, can u promise to never leave the Seahawks? Ur my favorite player and I don't want to retire ur jersey
Expand

@Luke5377 not my call

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
The Yugoslavian":3l23f6ix said:
Great news. My wish list appears realistic then. I really really really want us to;

1.) Sign Fred Davis, 1 year 1.2 mil deal
2.) Re-sign Alan Branch
3.) Sign Charles Woodson to play nickel & 3rd safety
4.) Re-sign Kam "Bam-Bam" Chancellor

We have the space to do all four and still sign the rookies. Let's make it happen!

Davis is going to get more than 1.2 million, the Bills are looking at him right now.

kidhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1t2lurce said:
Not to fuel speculation, but just reading between the lines on some of Kam's recent tweets, they might have hit a snag:

NFL=Not For Long.... #Truth

luke snitzler‏@Luke537724 Mar
@Kam_Chancellor kam, can u promise to never leave the Seahawks? Ur my favorite player and I don't want to retire ur jersey
Expand

@Luke5377 not my call

The first quote is too out of context to have any idea. If I were to speculate he could easily be talking about the rules changes.

The latter, sounds more to me like him just not wanting to say something that he can't guarantee. Even if he wants to remain a seahawk for life, there are too many variables that aren't in his control.

I wouldn't Interpret either of those as some snag in any negotiations, and even if there are slow moving negotations, that's just par for the course this early in that type of situation. He's going to start high, they will start low, and given he's got a full season, not to mention most of this offseason, both sides could easily be patient with it. It's not really a priority at the moment.

Personally, I believe they will extend him before the season starts, but not necessarily before the draft.