NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sac

Reaction score
The Kings didn't start losing money until the Maloofs started making outrageous demands and deliberately forcing moves to make them a losing organization.

First came the rumors of moving them to Vegas, then selling them outright, then firing good coaches and trading away a lottery pick, all in an attempt to push the fan base away.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Throwdown":ivif3qor said:
Blitzer88":ivif3qor said:
Well looks like the Kings have announced another whale to their group. The Jacobs family who owns Quallcom. And of course the Sac-Town City Council is gonna vote on the arena plan and that is expected to pass. Listening to interviews lately it seems that the Sacramento group seems to have a upper hand on us now or at least thats what my cautious pessimist mind believes. Seems like the the potential trouble that Sac was in last week by not getting their arena plan announced then seems to have turned into great momentum for them.

DON'T FALL FOR IT, BLITZER!!! Put that Sonics gear back on!

KJ's always going to talk his mess, and I want to fight him. So Sac, hit up the connect and make it happen! Homies been running his mouth too much for my liking, freakin' cheeseball.

Hansen gave corporate sponsorship numbers to the NBA and those obviously aren't too shabby, along with the RSN deal that would be up to 5x bigger than it would be in Sacramento.

We're playing the money card, and always have been throughout this whole deal. As many of us in Washington know, the NBA gives absolutely ZERO you know whats about loyalty and all that jazz, because if they did there wouldn't be a team in OKC right now.

Man....I wish this made me feel better, but I just have the sinking feeling, fueled by recent articles and comments, that our hearts are gonna be ripped out again by the NBA.

pinksheets

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see if the BOG really go so far as to seriously consider making a decision that makes no sense economically in anyway to promote sentimentality and fairness.

I still really doubt that Sac group even matches the Hansen bid. A team is simply not worth nearly as much in that market.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I heard on tge radio its much ado. Nothing being voted on is binding the way ir is here. Basically what I took from it, no matter what it's still up to the board/owners vote. We shall see.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
dunceface":35qfyka5 said:
Money talks. That is all.

That is true, but many believe now that with the combined whales that KJ has gotten that their offer will be right around or close too the Seattle offer. I may just be reading the wrong press clippings, but I have come to the realization that this probably isn't going to happen.......some how some way Stern and Co. will find a way to hurt us Sonic fans again.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Good lord, Hansen has a PSA and a solid, vetted arena deal that is binding upon meeting certain conditions. Sacramento doesn't have a PSA and are passing an entirely non-binding approval of a term sheet is essentially a Rube Goldberg funding machine that is steeped in bizarrely rosy parking revenue projections that nobody can explain, creating a non-profit to try to circumvent the city's awful debt problems, and a bunch of talk about parking and surcharges as the primary funding source that'll all but likely fall short and lead into more money coming out of the city's general fund via the transient occupancy task. KJ has been avoiding questions about the specifics of the deal like a good politician, but the NBA is going to want to see how sound this arena deal is. It doesn't look strong, but even if it is, the NBA BOG will still be unlikely to make the unprecedented move of denying a financially sound PSA from a stronger ownership group in a market that wins on all economic indicators. Not to mention, unless the Maloofs have had a change of heart, all the NBA can do is vote NO on Hansen, they cannot force a sale to the Sac group, which includes Ron Burkle, a man that the Maloofs reportedly hate enough to have pledged to never do business with him. I think expansion is very unlikely, but I think Sac's best hope is that they get a similar promise that Charlotte got when Shinn took the Hornets out of town, a promise they made because they didn't want to try to tell an owner what they could or couldn't do with their team, even though he had demolished all goodwill in that city.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Mitch in the Morning was saying that the Hansen group has seen corporate support higher than they expected and the TV contract numbers much higher than expected. It looks like a TV deal in Seattle is going to be roughly 5x what it'd be in Sacramento.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I am not worried in the least. The NBA needs a team up here for the broadcast rights and keeping them happy. They lost the Sonics and the Grizzlies and I suspect Golden State will see a bump in attendance without a Sacramento team.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Happypuppy":25pi5hr7 said:
I am not worried in the least. The NBA needs a team up here for the broadcast rights and keeping them happy. They lost the Sonics and the Grizzlies and I suspect Golden State will see a bump in attendance without a Sacramento team.

Maybe from casual nba fans, but expecting a kings fan to become a warriors fan is like a Sonics fan suddenly becoming a blazers fan. Its gonna suck for kings fans if they move, we Sonics fans know the pain, and the cross town rival isn't going to be a suitable substitute.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Ron Burkle addressing Sacramento public forum:

[youtube]AEZjzsnPhnw[/youtube]

Throwdown

Reaction score
Anyone remember that Right Of First Refusal stuff? consider that avenue blocked, Hansen just agreed to purchase it.

ALL HAIL HANSEN!

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Throwdown":2c979h71 said:
Anyone remember that Right Of First Refusal stuff? consider that avenue blocked, Hansen just agreed to purchase it.

ALL HAIL HANSEN!

Yup, he just spent another 15 mil to obtain that 7% ownership in bankruptcy court.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Blitzer88":10hks308 said:
Throwdown":10hks308 said:

ALL HAIL HANSEN!

Yup, he just spent another 15 mil to obtain that 7% ownership in bankruptcy court.

lol @ KJ, boy he's a clown

He's saying now (that its late) those 20 local guys who pledged $1 million each are gonna bid for that 7% as if the deal didn't just get closed.

Sac, get your boy, he's drunk out here.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Are you serious? HELL YEAH! I know the Hanson group was planning on eventually aquiring %100 of the team anyway, but this rocks some serious balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.