49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha

The Outfield

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1zfl1min said:
The Outfield":1zfl1min said:
How in the world did they get him so cheap? $1.35m, none of it guaranteed.

Look at his ranking and overall performance for 2012.

I see your post now and understand.

SeattleSprtsHub

Reaction score
birdman5":1pq7p9s2 said:
NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL

BREAKING: The 49ers have reached an agreement on a 1 yr deal with former Eagles and Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha (via @AdamSchefter)

It's a move out of desperation for the Whiners, he is washed up and won't be effective at all in my opinion. Nothing to see here.

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ss8sinng said:
I'm going to laugh when Wilson burns him. He did nothing in Philly, and I doubt the 49ers are going to play him the exact same way Oakland did. Plus, Oakland had an absolute nobody at the other CB position, so even being a decent CB would have greatly reduced his targets. I may have to go post on the 49ers Web Zone with his Pro Football Focus stats.

LOL, Nnamdi Asomugah ranked 101st out of the 113 CBs to see at least 25% of snaps last year in the NFL. That is not just bad, that is horrible. For pass coverage specifically, he's 103rd. Pathetic.

I'm just going off memory but I thought I saw 14TD's against him last year. Please let him play zone coverage in SF.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
He'll be 32 when the season starts, makes sense, the whiners are loading up on the over the hill vets.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
XxxZagnutxxX":2pxe8x9a said:
RolandDeschain":2pxe8x9a said:
I'm going to laugh when Wilson burns him. He did nothing in Philly, and I doubt the 49ers are going to play him the exact same way Oakland did. Plus, Oakland had an absolute nobody at the other CB position, so even being a decent CB would have greatly reduced his targets. I may have to go post on the 49ers Web Zone with his Pro Football Focus stats.

LOL, Nnamdi Asomugah ranked 101st out of the 113 CBs to see at least 25% of snaps last year in the NFL. That is not just bad, that is horrible. For pass coverage specifically, he's 103rd. Pathetic.

I'm just going off memory but I thought I saw 14TD's against him last year. Please let him play zone coverage in SF.

PFF has him giving up 5. (3 for Sherman.) PFF analyzes all plays on their own, though. For DBs, there are plenty of times where they appear to give up a TD but it wasn't necessarily their fault; compensating for someone else's zone coverage fail, or what have you. It's not a great stat for tracking CBs, honestly.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Also, Sherman allowed 44.4% of passes thrown his way to be caught. Asomugah allowed 66.7%. That's a pretty gigantic discrepancy.

Subzero717

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3prqaee0 said:
Also, Sherman allowed 44.4% of passes thrown his way to be caught. Asomugah allowed 66.7%. That's a pretty gigantic discrepancy.
Not really. In one game that could be a half a catch. I hate football stats.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
It bothers me that the last half of his name is pronounced the same way as a smooch. Like, Mmmm-wah.

His name is Ass-mmmm-wah. Ass-kisser.

Wait a sec...

Nnnn-om-Dee...Nnnnn-om-the...And-om-the...And-I'm-The...

Ass-kisser.

And I'm The Ass-kisser. It all makes sense now.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
As much as a hate the 9ers this is a brillant signing. for 1.35 m plus another 1.35 in incentives.
The dude was Dominant as an Oakland Raider. and the Raiders as we all know are horrible. Yet I argued that he was better then Revis two years ago because he was that good.
Then scheme change and move to the east coast doomed this guy as he was one of the worst corners in the league.

now he is joining an already reall good 49ers defense , I expect this guy to bounce back big time.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Here's an easy way to solve this. If we signed Nnamdi for 1.35 mil no guarantee would you be happy? Yes you would. So that means this bad for us and a good move by SF. It happens. If you didn't want him here for 1.35 million your crazy.

seahawksflow

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":yjiild3h said:
Here's an easy way to solve this. If we signed Nnamdi for 1.35 mil no guarantee would you be happy? Yes you would. So that means this bad for us and a good move by SF. It happens. If you didn't want him here for 1.35 million your crazy.

He sounds like he has quite a chip on his shoulder considering reports say he requested to not have guaranteed money.

Winterfell

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1hyx869v said:
Huh? Culliver's ranked 29th overall, 21st in pass coverage per Pro Football Focus. I'm seriously wondering about your ability to read basic stats.

pff2012overallcbranking.png

There's the whole list. Richard Sherman, by the way, ranked 2nd overall and 1st - by a LARGE margin - in pass coverage. Nobody else even hit the 20s for pass coverage, but he was rated 26.4.

What amazes me is Antoine Winfield being ranked #1 overall. I knew he was an excellent run-stopper and tackler at CB, but didn't realize he'd be well-rounded enough overall to be #1, especially at his age.

That would be AWESOME if due to his age and the market for FAs, we were able to sign Antoine Winfield to a similar deal to what the 49ers gave to Asomugha. He sounds like he'd make a BEASTLY slot CB for us on a one year, incentives-laden deal, and improve our run defense.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":2jfguimr said:
Every CB on our roster ranks significantly higher than him. I would not like him even for veteran minimum after seeing his stats, but you probably won't believe me.

kag0331

Reaction score
I think this is a depth signing like many have stated on here.. unless he does great in training camp, Culliver did horrible in the super bowl so this will be good competition. i find it interesting about the no guaranteed money. I think any team in the NFL would take a shot at this guy for that chump change... unless your jerry jones damn idiot spent 100+ million on a sh*tty QB.

TheLargentLine

Reaction score
I think it is a good signing for the 49ers at 1.35 million...

Anyways, in a response to Roland over at the niner boards I had to laugh because one of them stated "Us 49er fans have been watching football too, believe it or not, over the last two years; we have not been encased in ice, or comatose. We are well aware of what happened to Asomugha and the Eagles over the last two seasons".

Sounds about right because there wasn't a single damn niner fan to be found three years ago.

Clearly he was talking about the Eagles Asomugha signing, but it was poorly worded and in a way true. I don't think many niner fans were paying attention up until recently.

Also I think you hurt their feelings, Roland..

Reaction score
He could cost them ZERO if he doesn't make the cut... amazing signing with absolutely no risk.