Kam contract extension - 2:00 Press conference

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
@JasonLaCanfora
"@AlvinKeels: Kam Chancellor will sign a 4 year extension with the Seattle Seahawks today..." - from Kam's agent

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Marvin49":3o083fnr said:
WOW.

Thats alot of $$$$$.

Still, probably a good move for you guys. Locks him up at todays prices instead of the market when he would have been a FA.

Makes me wonder tho what Earl Thomas is ging to command.
It's a lot less than Goldson got.

Earl is going to get a big deal. The best safety in the NFL often does.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Ian Rapoport‏@RapSheet4m
Kam Chancellor's 4-year extension: I'm told it's $28M with $17M guaranteed. Big.

Guessing they'll work it out so he gets a nice bonus now and cap hits are small relative to the overall contract.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":3sucd5lq said:
WOW.

Thats alot of $$$$$.

Still, probably a good move for you guys. Locks him up at todays prices instead of the market when he would have been a FA.

Makes me wonder tho what Earl Thomas is going to command.
I heard Vernon Davis suffered another concusion when he heard the news of the extension. ;)

kidhawk

Reaction score
If it truly is a 4 year, $28 million extension making him locked up for 5 years, then you can add his current $1.323 million to make it a 5 year 29.323 million deal. I would guess that they gave him a nice little bonus for signing (between 4 and 5 million with a few more bonuses scheduled in his contract. Honestly I think it's a fair deal (market wise) for both Kam and the Seahawks.

mikeak

Reaction score
I am sure it is a fair deal. FO knows that others are coming up and we don't have much room against the cap right now. Didn't need to resign him but better now than hitting FA etc

I still believe part of the game right now is behind the scenes calculations about the cap change in 2014 after the new TV deal takes place. If you can look guys up now for five years and hit some those years knowing there is a significant increase at that time then good way of dealing with the situation.

Digsbone

Reaction score
Locked Kam Bam up for the next 5 years, for a decent amount of change taking care of our own I like it.

Go Hawks!!!

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Good for Kam. I hope he celebrates by running over a few wide receivers. Every game. For the next 4 years.

kearly

Reaction score
Before I say anything about this, I know and appreciate that Schneider is not a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants GM. Every expenditure he makes fits into a 3 year financial plan.

That said, we just turned Kam Chancellor from a Richard Sherman type asset to a Zach Miller type asset from a money perspective. Obviously, Kam was going to get paid at least that much so I'm not complaining about an overpay at all, I just think that we might have been better served saving that money for other players we need to keep and take advantage of the fact that strong safety might be the easiest position for Pete Carroll to fill through the draft.

JS said himself: we can't and won't keep everybody. You gotta pick your spots to lose players, and though I don't think guys like Sidney Rice or Golden Tate are more valuable than Chancellor, IMO they are a lot harder to replace.

If not for Goodell neutering Chancellor with the ridiculous anti-contact rules, I think Chancellor would be such a force that he'd be worth this kind of investment. The player that we saw last year was a mixed bag, though I blame Goodell for that more than Kam.

I guess we'll see how this shakes out. I like Kam and all things being equal wanted him to stay, but only if doing so is smart. Hopefully JS continues to do cap miracles and makes it all work out. I'm guessing we are in for some painful cuts next year, though.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Seaswab":w8yhpv3k said:
I hope he gave us a hometown discount and sets the tone for the rest of the guys that they should do the same to keep the team together.

because wage increases for ordinary folk raise their standard of living much more than Kam's would be raised by gaining an extra few million

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Seems like a fair market deal. It sucks to see our bargain players sign big money deals so that they are no longer a bargain, but that's life in the NFL if you want to keep your guys.

Schneider has it all planned out, so this fits in his budget. Happy Kam got an extension, but I would agree that he would have been lower on my priority list of guys to lock up long term.

Shock2k

Reaction score
kearly":15xms6cv said:
Before I say anything about this, I know and appreciate that Schneider is not a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants GM. Every expenditure he makes fits into a 3 year financial plan.

That said, we just turned Kam Chancellor from a Richard Sherman type asset to a Zach Miller type asset from a money perspective. Obviously, Kam was going to get paid at least that much so I'm not complaining about an overpay at all, I just think that we might have been better served saving that money for other players we need to keep and take advantage of the fact that strong safety might be the easiest position for Pete Carroll to fill through the draft.

JS said himself: we can't and won't keep everybody. You gotta pick your spots to lose players, and though I don't think guys like Sidney Rice or Golden Tate are more valuable than Chancellor, IMO they are a lot harder to replace.

If not for Goodell neutering Chancellor with the ridiculous anti-contact rules, I think Chancellor would be such a force that he'd be worth this kind of investment. The player that we saw last year was a mixed bag, though I blame Goodell for that more than Kam.

I guess we'll see how this shakes out. I like Kam and all things being equal wanted him to stay, but only if doing so is smart. Hopefully JS continues to do cap miracles and makes it all work out. I'm guessing we are in for some painful cuts next year, though.

This is just feeding into my terror that this team is going to get gutted to sign Sherman and Wilson. Though that's a couple years off. Maybe you can assauge those fears.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kearly":2h2mlwrh said:
Obviously, Kam was going to get paid at least that much so I'm not complaining about an overpay at all, I just think that we might have been better served saving that money for other players we need to keep and take advantage of the fact that strong safety might be the easiest position for Pete Carroll to fill through the draft.

Like who? Do you really think PC/JS sign offer Kam this extension if they thought it would at all hinder their ability to resign Thomas and Sherman? I look at this deal as a GREAT sign that a viable plan is in place to keep all three in Seattle for at least five years. They wouldn't do this deal if they weren't 100% confident that they could work it out with Thomas and Sherman next.