Jon Gruden's #1 QB in the 2013 NFL Draft is...

Rat

Reaction score
Ryan Nassib

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -qb-class/

Gruden has come away impressed with Nassib’s ability to learn quickly. He noted that Nassib had “a lot of freedom” at Syracuse to switch plays and read the field.

“He’s functioned in a couple of different offenses,” Gruden said. “What they did this year at Syracuse, changing their offense two weeks before the regular season, says a lot about this kid’s ability to adapt.”

Gruden said that Nassib’s size, arm strength and athleticism are assets. He called Nassib “a nuisance runner” and believes Nassib could run the read-option on the NFL level.

Gruden also liked what he saw from Nassib in late-game situations with the Orangemen.

Granted, Gruden's track record at identifying young quality QBs is awful (the closest thing he has to a success story is Shaun King), but he's considered credible nonetheless, so it's still interesting. Any chance Nassib could be this year's Christian Ponder, as in a guy widely considered a 2nd rounder who somehow sneaks into the top 15 picks?

kearly

Reaction score
I guessed Barkley. Gruden likes smart QBs. My 2nd guess was Nassib.

Did Gruden name a favorite in 2011?

nbk35zw

Reaction score
Gruden loved... and I mean uncomfortably loved (man-crushed) Wilson. Gruden knows QBs. His problem is he never trusted a rookie. I suspect that would change if he were to come back.

nbk35zw

Reaction score
Why not Nassib. He is Mark Sanchez, who, somehow, has been to two AFC championship games in four years.

Seattle has been to two championship games in nearly 40 years of existence.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Nassib is light years ahead on sanchez. Im telling you and have told you before, Nassib is a starter in this league.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Rat":19i4hui0 said:
Ryan Nassib

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -qb-class/

Gruden has come away impressed with Nassib’s ability to learn quickly. He noted that Nassib had “a lot of freedom” at Syracuse to switch plays and read the field.

“He’s functioned in a couple of different offenses,” Gruden said. “What they did this year at Syracuse, changing their offense two weeks before the regular season, says a lot about this kid’s ability to adapt.”

Gruden said that Nassib’s size, arm strength and athleticism are assets. He called Nassib “a nuisance runner” and believes Nassib could run the read-option on the NFL level.

Gruden also liked what he saw from Nassib in late-game situations with the Orangemen.

Granted, Gruden's track record at identifying young quality QBs is awful (the closest thing he has to a success story is Shaun King), but he's considered credible nonetheless, so it's still interesting. Any chance Nassib could be this year's Christian Ponder, as in a guy widely considered a 2nd rounder who somehow sneaks into the top 15 picks?

Russell Wilson?? He was all over that....how can you not consider that a success?

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2dunu8ol said:
Russell Wilson?? He was all over that....how can you not consider that a success?
I was referring to when Gruden was actually making decisions for teams.

Yeah, he gushed all over Wilson. He also gushed all over Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Weeden, and every QB he has had on his show, not to mention everyone on his MNF broadcasts. When you gush over everyone, you'll look good when you're right, and people will forget when you're wrong. If I watched MNF with my eyes closed, I'd think Tim Tebow was one of the commentators.

kearly

Reaction score
I hate how Mark Sanchez has become a go-to comparison for any QB prospect that a person dislikes. Sanchez is embarrassingly awful at times, but he wasn't that guy at USC. The landing spot matters as much if not more than anything else for a QB's success. Had Kaepernick landed with Rex Ryan and that dysfunctional organization he'd be ****ed, most likely. Heck, look at Alex Smith pre-Harbaugh. Certain organizations are QB graveyards.

Sanchez had his confidence shattered in NY. He's damaged goods now, but he wasn't always like this.

I don't know who I'd compare Nassib to. He's a good, well rounded QB. Like Tyler Wilson, his mobility is better than his 40 time would indicate. I think I'd compare him to Matt Flynn with more mobility and arm strength. I think Flynn has it in him to be a solid starting quarterback, though Oakland will certainly present a challenge for him. Nassib has Matt Flynn body language in the pocket and is a bit of a risk taker. Another comparison might be Matt Cassel.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Rat":r1gdl3un said:
T-Sizzle":r1gdl3un said:

Yeah, he gushed all over Wilson. He also gushed all over Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Weeden, and every QB he has had on his show, not to mention everyone on his MNF broadcasts. When you gush over everyone, you'll look good when you're right, and people will forget when you're wrong. If I watched MNF with my eyes closed, I'd think Tim Tebow was one of the commentators.

To my knowledge he isn't making decisions for teams currently either. He is gushing over a QB this year, just as he did last...aren't those more similar than when we was a head coach?

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":16455eqm said:
Rat":16455eqm said:
T-Sizzle":16455eqm said:

To my knowledge he isn't making decisions for teams currently either. He is gushing over a QB this year, just as he did last...aren't those more similar than when we was a head coach?

It's easy to say you like everyone. It's a different thing when your ass is actually on the line. His record when it matters is terrible. I have a lot more respect for the Kiper/McShay/Mayock's out there who aren't scared to be honest.

kigenzun

Reaction score
I can definitely foresee the Buffalo Bills taking a Round 1 flyer on Ryan Nassib at pick number 8. After all, he's Marrone's guy, and they can't let the Jets get him at pick#9 cuz he's too talented to let get away... LOL. :p
But...
personally??

I believe he will BUST.
HARD.

'Cuz Buffalo sucks... er, I mean Toronto. Er, Whatever. These guys are rotten top to bottom.
For instance,

imagine if you can the actual realtime difference between us playing at a neutral site in Vancouver BC... instead of at Century Link Field... that's just a small whiff of how bad they are as a franchise. It won't be Nassib's fault... but he will bust cuz Buffalo stinks so bad the city council wont even let them play all their home games in their own city. And Toronto doesn't care about their QB... as long as Gangnam Style.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Rat":3as24w1p said:

Gruden's a positive guy, and he'll gush over the guys he loves. However, he did not gush over Luck and Griffin the same way he did Wilson at the draft. He had very positive things to say about both of them and probably still thought they were better prospects, but he did not go STAGE FIVE CLINGER all over them the same way he did when Wilson's name was called. I also just watched the last few minutes of RG3's QB camp, and Gruden didn't even have any last words for him. On Wilson's camp video, Gruden spends the last moments basically giving a testimonial for the guy. Gruden also criticized Tannehill's decision making when he got drafted and was very vague on his positive attributes, so I really don't know what you're referring to there.

Give the guy some credit. He was on the money with Wilson. To be fair though, he did seem pretty high on Weeden, and that hasn't really worked out yet. Still, his praise for him was nowhere near the man-crush level love he was heaping on Wilson after Seattle picked him.

aawolf

Reaction score
I feel sorry for Geno falling so far lately. Lets not forget the key stat: 42 touchdowns and 6 INTs last year...them are stats of a first round QB. I don't see the risk alot of people do in Geno. He's a baller and should be taken in the first round to QB-desperate teams if there is justice in the world. My top 10 QB rankings:

Could start Year 1 and have an impact:
Geno Smith
Matt Barkley
Landry Jones

Should not start Year 1, but should be good QBs and take over after being in a system:
Ryan Nassib
Tyler Wilson
EJ Manuel
Mike Glennon
Matt Scott
Ryan Griffin
Zac Dysert

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
FWIW, I know someone with media ties in Tampa.. and Chris Simms was never, ever, ever a Gruden choice. That was all Rich McKay. Gruden didn't even look at film of Simms because he wrote him off early in the draft process.

The man knows quarterbacks.

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1byiyrs8 said:
He knows already established QBs. Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, and Jeff Garcia all had career years under him. I'm not seeing the proof that he knows anything about young QB talent.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Rat":19y1a0rj said:
Hasselbeck":19y1a0rj said:
He knows already established QBs. Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, and Jeff Garcia all had career years under him. I'm not seeing the proof that he knows anything about young QB talent.

To be fair.. he never really had the opportunity to draft a young QB. Simms, the one young QB he had, was forced on him.

Latest posts