John Idzik, Gus Bradley Factor

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
Both were taken in January from the Seahawks. How much do these guys know about our draft board? A guy on sports radio who has worked war rooms said that draft boards don't usually change much. Saying that injuries and character concerns are the only reason players move down the board. I'm curious if anyone may be paranoid that Izdik and Bradley may take our picks?

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Their teams have A LOT of needs, our team doesn't. Non issue. I don't think anyone here could predict what our guys are going to do. We already got a prime receiver, from that point it's a guess. Hopefully BPA.

chris98251

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3u8li65s said:
On another note, the dude who writes the Game of Thrones books calling for John Idzik to be fired because of the Revis trade should stick to writing about fairies and magic pixie dust and stuff he actually knows about. Doofus.

GRRM does write GOT and some other books that are of that era, but his unheralded work is a lot of history writing. He is speaking as a fan, seen the quote.

How many said our front office was crazy for letting Housh and Josh Wilson go for low rounders or just release? I think it turned out pretty well.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
chris98251":348t4pb3 said:
Smelly McUgly":348t4pb3 said:
On another note, the dude who writes the Game of Thrones books calling for John Idzik to be fired because of the Revis trade should stick to writing about fairies and magic pixie dust and stuff he actually knows about. Doofus.

GRRM does write GOT and some other books that are of that era, but his unheralded work is a lot of history writing. He is speaking as a fan, seen the quote.

How many said our front office was crazy for letting Housh and Josh Wilson go for low rounders or just release? I think it turned out pretty well.

Who said that, ever? They were both rubbish.

chris98251

Reaction score
Oh shit this board was all upset we were going to eat Housh's contract and that we traded our best CB for peanuts. The Trufant bashing was already in full swing and Jennings was no solution either. Then Jennings was sent to Cincinnati if memory serves.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
chris98251":392dmkmn said:
Oh shit this board was all upset we were going to eat Housh's contract and that we traded our best CB for peanuts. The Trufant bashing was already in full swing and Jennings was no solution either. Then Jennings was sent to Cincinnati if memory serves.

People were mad about Housh?

Anyway, as someone who has respect for Idzik's work, I am calling GoT guy out for his terrible rant, just as I would any fan that wrote all that. I just saw what he wrote because it was highlighted over on Shutdown Corner. I'm sure I could compile a few bad posts from Gang Green Nation and mock those too were I so inclined. :D

chris98251

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":38ffhsnc said:
chris98251":38ffhsnc said:

People were mad about Housh?

Anyway, as someone who has respect for Idzik's work, I am calling GoT guy out for his terrible rant, just as I would any fan that wrote all that. I just saw what he wrote because it was highlighted over on Shutdown Corner. I'm sure I could compile a few bad posts from Gang Green Nation and mock those too were I so inclined. :D

I was glad to see him go personnaly, I thought he was cancer. BUT there were some upset about him going, some upset about eating his contract, some upset they bought his damn jersey.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1b9q313g said:

Dude stop. How dare you talk about GRR Martin like that. He's the reason that the best show on TV was created in the first place.

kearly

Reaction score
You'd think a writer as brilliant as GRRM would see that the Revis trade was a fantastic move by the Jets. He's probably too busy with more important things to follow football that close, so I understand.

On topic: yes, it will probably play a factor. Though to be sure, Seattle's board isn't set in stone by mid-January. Bruce Irvin rose in a big way during the final month last year.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I'd be lying if I said this particular issue hasn't crossed my mind. Add to that Kiffen promising Dallas fans that his D is going to look like Seattle's.

2010-2012 we had a unique player profile at several positions, like LEO and corner. Now we are seeing reports that corners under 6 feet are off some teams boards and we know two other teams want our type of player (I still don't know how much say Idzik has on personnel)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if Gus was kept in the loop on draft scouting back in January, but I can't profess to know Seattle's process. Idzik might be a bigger concern, I suppose, but I'm sure the board was far from settled before he left.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":jo6fcqdm said:
Wilson does seem like he would have been a nice slot corner for us, but he was miscast as a #2 CB here.

I am pretty sure we got KJ Wright or something with the pick we got back, though, so it's all good in retrospect.
Nope, it was Sherman

drdiags

Reaction score
I think Idzik's input to the Jets board is huge but how much was he in the loop with the Seahawks scouts prior to them starting to put the big board together? I think he is hamstrung with the previous regime's scouting technique and rating system. I guess he could try to have the scouts convert over to his system or he can just follow the current process. Maybe he won't involve the coaches as much as they do here, or maybe he will want to involve them more. Just seems that he has a lot on his plate getting the Jets FO organized and finding a common language so he can make decisions. I will not say no impact/awareness of what Seattle is doing but Rex Ryan runs a different type of defense and offense. He has to at least try to give the HC players he can use. We will see.

For Bradley, he knows the style of defense and offense he wants to run but it is Caldwell who has to organize his scouting staff and the brand new coaching staff. Bradley left right after the season was over so it depends on whether John Schneider and Pete are updating the coaches during the season on players the team could be targeting. Then, even if Bradley has a good idea of what they are doing as far as targets, Caldwell isn't going to let that totally guide him on making the selections would be my guess. This is his first run as a GM, so I think Bradley will not have a lot of sway. I could be wrong.

So I guess the real question is how soon is the Big Board available for consumption by the team's FO prior to the coaches putting in input and the scouts along with the other FO types hashing through the rating systems? Idzik would have to know a lot more than Bradley is my guess and even not knowing the board has an idea of whom the Seahawks were starting to home in on.

two dog

Reaction score
The Idzik and Bradley factor will be big, but not the way meant. Going to be fun to see
how the draft thought process works for both their teams.

After seeing, and participating, in one of the fastest and best team rebuilds ever, it will be
interesting to see how much of the Seattle template they apply to their new teams.

Listening to some of Gus's interviews, there is little doubt who his influences are.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Based on what I heard recently from several GM sources is teams' boards were really only established about two to three weeks ago and they be tweaked up until tonight... so the last thing I'd be concerned about is Idzik and Bradley truly "knowing" Seattle's board.

chris98251

Reaction score
Does knowing Seattles board even really matter, they need to pick for their teams, and last I checked they pick before us anyway, taking a player so we don't get him versus picking players that can help their own teams would be suicide.

OP
OP
S

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":oshhmmlc said:
Based on what I heard recently from several GM sources is teams' boards were really only established about two to three weeks ago and they be tweaked up until tonight... so the last thing I'd be concerned about is Idzik and Bradley truly "knowing" Seattle's board.

Yeah I did some research and found out that preliminary draft boards are put together in February. Fine tuned a bit after the combine in late February. I think Idzik would be aware of some of the top targets. Bradley I have no idea, but I suspect he was focused on the team rather than the draft.

Like Scottie said above, it will be interesting to see if they (Idzik/Bradley) go after our style of players...and that goes league wide too. Taller corners, fast/athletic linebackers, athletic zone blocking type lineman, linebacker size strong safety, leo type linebackers/ends, big wide outs.

Since we don't have a 1st rounder, I'm more interested in what type of players teams are taking early. Especially the Jets and Jags.

Keep Calm, Chive On. Its nice to see teams copy us. That means we are doing something right lol.