John Idzik, Gus Bradley Factor

MagHawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1rae9hfj said:
Smelly McUgly":1rae9hfj said:
On another note, the dude who writes the Game of Thrones books calling for John Idzik to be fired because of the Revis trade should stick to writing about fairies and magic pixie dust and stuff he actually knows about. Doofus.

Dude stop. How dare you talk about GRR Martin like that. He's the reason that the best show on TV was created in the first place.

Besides, GRRM should understand the decision to get rid of a fan favorite - he has no problem with it himself!

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
MagHawk":2xbodak3 said:
Besides, GRRM should understand the decision to get rid of a fan favorite - he has no problem with it himself!

Glad someone else picked up on the awesome irony of this situation.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Non-Factor. If they were picking around 50 - 55, then it would matter, but they pick much earlier than Seattle to effect our board.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Those teams have a lot of holes to fill and not nearly enough picks to fill them. We have a lot of picks and not a lot of room on the roster for rooks. Where some might see threats in New York and Jacksonville, I see willing trade partners.

New York now has two first round picks and we have an ass load of mid to late rounders. Idzik just watched John Schneider fill out a roster to Super Bowl caliber in record time by finding diamonds in the mid to late rounds. I can actually see us trading back into the first for NY's 13th overall pick by sending our 4th, the two 5ths and some other miscellanious asset to NY in exchange. Either that or a trade of similar assets to Jacksonville for their early to mid round picks in future drafts. Hell, if I were John Schneider, I'd even go so far as to share my scouting info of those rounds to facillitate a trade! Not like I'm picking there anyway, so screw it.

Maybe something happens and maybe it doesn't, but needless to say... I'll be watching tonight just in case.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
With how high the Jets and the Jaguars are picking, I don't see this affecting us as much as it could. Not this year. Maybe Jacksonville tries to leapfrog Seattle by trading from the early 3rd into the late second to take someone we might want, but I can also see Seattle going somewhat offensive heavy this draft which would negate some of the impact of other teams lifting the defensive players that fit our system.

However, I can also see some of our upside players in the 4th and 5th rounds being taken before Seattle picks, too, but since, at that level, the picks are often like tickets in a lottery, I think Seattle will have options.

aawolf

Reaction score
chris98251":1n2z2ffd said:
Smelly McUgly":1n2z2ffd said:
On another note, the dude who writes the Game of Thrones books calling for John Idzik to be fired because of the Revis trade should stick to writing about fairies and magic pixie dust and stuff he actually knows about. Doofus.

GRRM does write GOT and some other books that are of that era, but his unheralded work is a lot of history writing. He is speaking as a fan, seen the quote.

How many said our front office was crazy for letting Housh and Josh Wilson go for low rounders or just release? I think it turned out pretty well.

You know nothing, George RR Martin!!!

godawg

Reaction score
What I'd like to see is to trade up for NY's 13 and take Sheldon Richardson, instead of letting the 9ers do this. Maybe our connection with Idzik could help. Although it would cost a ton of draft capital, I'd be ok trading Golden Tate as well.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
godawg":lr6ll2yh said:
What I'd like to see is to trade up for NY's 13 and take Sheldon Richardson, instead of letting the 9ers do this. Maybe our connection with Idzik could help. Although it would cost a ton of draft capital, I'd be ok trading Golden Tate as well.

That trade up would probably be around two future first round picks. No thanks

sainthawk29

Reaction score
Idzik's trade of Revis was the smartest move I have ever seen. (the trade for Harvin is pretty good too, tho)

Revis, is elite. However, a corners value is over inflated. Playing 10% of your salary cap for a player that is not a QB or T, (and in some instances WR) is crazy.

Revis is coming off a major injury and has been a malcontent his entire career.

The Jets need to re-build their entire team. Best case scenerio, that takes 3-4 years of solid moves and good drafts. Given that infomation, their is no reason to keep a question mark that wants 12+ million a year who doesn't play a make-or-break position.

To get the 13th pick for a player that might not play over half the games this year, plus a mid round pick next year is genius. And keep in mind they probably would have lost him to free agency next year anyways.

New York fans might hate the move, but they are idiots, and don't understand the JS/ Ted Thompson way of team building.

As to the question of draft boards, I don't think that their knowledge will make much of a difference given where they pick in the draft. Also, the Jets play a 3-4 Defense, so their pool of defensive players will be different then ours.

The Jags have similiar needs, however, I don't believe Bradley would have been involved in the scouting while the season was going on (as he was busy actually coordinating the defence). So, will have limited knowlegde of the board.

CANHawk

Reaction score
sainthawk29":f66e5hho said:
New York fans might hate the move, but they are idiots, and don't understand the JS/ Ted Thompson way of team building.

They'll learn... if they're lucky.

Idzik will either turn those two first rounders into two immediate starters, or flip one (or both) for a pile of mid rounders that will make up the backbone of the team for years to come. Trading Revis was a great move and I applaud the balls it took for him to pull the trigger. If the Jets don't do anything too knee-jerk in the short term to undo it all, that could be looked back on as a defining moment in their rebuild.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
It surprised me that Idzik hadn't already dumped Tebow off the team, but then I found this, and it helped put it in perspective:

http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_23020 ... -york-jets

So, they're clearly shopping him, but that's a tough pill to swallow.

Also, the fact the former GM didn't know about Tebow's advance salary puts his firing into perspective. That, and the whole signing Sanchez to megabucks thing.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2j7z0kry said:
It surprised me that Idzik hadn't already dumped Tebow off the team, but then I found this, and it helped put it in perspective:

http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_23020 ... -york-jets

So, they're clearly shopping him, but that's a tough pill to swallow.

Also, the fact the former GM didn't know about Tebow's advance salary puts his firing into perspective. That, and the whole signing Sanchez to megabucks thing.

Well, the Pete Carroll school of thought would be to treat that advanced salary as sunk money; it's never coming back and holding on to a shitty football player isn't going to make it come back (unless you're hoping to recoup that money in jersey sales to Tebow zelots). If he was here and he was causing problems with Pete's locker room, he'd be gone regardless of what he cost, and if there's no takers he'd get dumped (a'la Housh). Holding on to busted prospects like that based solely on what they cost to bring them in the door is the reason why bad teams stay bad.

Too bad New York doesn't have an awesome owner like Paul Allen who understands such concepts...