Who will be the pick at 56?

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Take a guess.

I'm going with Bennie Logan, DT, LSU. An all-around great tackle who flashes dominance against some tough SEC competition. Seems like a Pete and John pick; considered a reach but fits what they're looking for in terms of leadership, work ethic, and upside.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":2hzozcb2 said:
Take a guess.

I'm going with Bennie Logan, DT, LSU. An all-around great tackle who flashes dominance against some tough SEC competition. Seems like a Pete and John pick; considered a reach but fits what they're looking for in terms of leadership, work ethic, and upside.

Well he did earn the #18 jersey at LSU. Thing is, does he have the physical talent? Expand your post and give us some arguments for your choice. Is he fast? Can he lift? What's his 3-cone? When and where did he flash this dominance you speak of? Are you getting any work done today or screwing off on the boss' dime? Links man, links! Who else likes this kid as much as you do? Walterfootball? Mayock?

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":2yjhz0zn said:
Recon_Hawk":2yjhz0zn said:
Take a guess.

Well he did earn the #18 jersey at LSU. Thing is, does he have the physical talent? Expand your post and give us some arguments for your choice. Is he fast? Can he lift? What's his 3-cone? When and where did he flash this dominance you speak of? Are you getting any work done today or screwing off on the boss' dime? Links man, links! Who else likes this kid as much as you do? Walterfootball? Mayock?

I've mentioned Logan in previous posts, but I'll expand a bit. At 6' 3" 305 lbs, he's your prototypical 3-tech defensive tackle, so for those those wanting a big space eater like Hughes or Williams or Jenkins, he's not that guy. He's an athlete and more in the mold of S. Floyd, S. Richardson, and D. Jones. As a pass rusher, he is more of a slicer than a power guy, displaying great burst off the line. Against the run, he can be downright disruptive if you try and block him 1-on-1 and shows he can anchor well against double teams. I love his upside. He's got a body type that can add more weight and with his athleticism can be the all-around DT that is missing from this team. Imo, he's a very underrated player who was often dealing with double-teams so a bit harder to show off his skills. As a junior, he was awarded the #18 jersey which is given to the player who best exemplifies LSU's values.

As to flashing dominance, he competed very well against Alabama's two stud offensive linemen, Chance Warmack and Barrett Jones. You can watch that game here. Against lesser talent, you'll see him own them most the game, and overall anchoring a defense that was top in the nation.

"The more I see of this kid the more I like him," said NFL.com analyst Mike Mayock. "He plays hard. He didn't have the same kind of PR that the [Glenn] Dorseys and all of those other LSU defensive tackles have had. But he may be a better pro than he was a college player. And he was a very good college player. He's going to go in the second or third round."

"His strength is toughness, but the other thing is his football knowledge. He has a great football IQ," LSU defensive line coach Brick Haley said. "He's a student of the game, he understands it and it's important to him. He's going to have instant credibility because he'll be able to talk about blocking schemes and the things he's getting when he comes off the field. A lot of guys have to be taught that.

"Every morning when we'd get together for film sessions about 8 a.m., most of the guys were half-asleep," Jenkins said. "I'd see the look on Bennie's face and it was 'Let's go do it.' He's got a great attitude."
Link

FWIW, Pete Prisco had this to say: "The guy that people are sleeping on is defensive tackle Bennie Logan, a fast, tough, athletic player who, at times, looked like a potential Pro Bowl player during his career at LSU." Link

Derek Stephens at FieldGulls did a piece on him which is worth checking out. he compared him to Henry Melton, which I know a bunch of fans wanted to see sign this off-season.
http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/201 ... ing-report

Atradees

Reaction score
Idk. With the draft and needs so small for this team......the boys will really roll the dice. Our pick will be called a two round reach. Kyle Long as versitile lineman would fit the bill but.....we are right now. Lineman take awhile to develop. We are gonna trade for a TE.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I really hope the Seahawks go "unconventional" and pick WR-Steadman Bailey who is the best WR in this class IMO. I dare anyobody to ask for "links" as to why I have this opinion.
:49ersmall:

travlinhawk

Reaction score
I'm thinking O-line or TE. Just a gut feeling nothing to really back it up.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Wow! Nice work Recon, certainly more than I expected and you've sold me. Early on in the draft process Walterfootball had us selecting him but I can't remember if it was at 25 or 56. They mentioned his athleticism so it had me intrigued. I've seen other people list him in the 2nd but the majority have him in the 4 - 5 range.

I think Maycok hit it on the head with "He didn't have the same kind of PR that the [Glenn] Dorseys and all of those other LSU defensive tackles have had."

But the most important thing that caught my attention was his being awarded the #18.

The Cowboys are looking at him and this article compares him to Sedrick Ellis

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-st...Draft-Pick-Bennie-Logan-DT-LSU-202321521.html

Combine info

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/bennie-logan?id=2540163

Another article with an interview

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2013/04/lsu_defensive_tackle_bennie_lo.html

I would be happy if we took him at 56 :th2thumbs:

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":1qv8614c said:
But the most important thing that caught my attention was his being awarded the #18.
That's what caught my attention, too. We've seen the value that Pete and John places on hard work and attitude. His draft stock is all over the board, so I may be off on where he goes, but he fits what the front office looks for in it's players. A competitor who's best football is ahead of them.

Who do you got at 56, ivotuk?

McGruff

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":223x2do0 said:
Take a guess.

Logan feels redundant to me, and he doesn't have any outstanding distinguishing characteristics. Is he any different or better than Scruggs, Howard, McDonald or McDaniel?

I think it's John Jenkins.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I'll go with David Amerson, CB, NC State.

PC/JS have said numerous times that they grade for their own team and not for the league. This is a 6'1 200lb+ CB with ball skills, ran a 4.4 that is physical and angry. Teams have soured on him from when he was projected as a top 10 pick going into last season, I doubt the Hawks are one of them.

This is a guy that has everything the Hawks want in a DB and likely carries a tremendously high grade in their building. No doubt they think they can coach him into a probowl caliber player. Anyone else takes Amerson in the first two rounds it'll be questioned, if its the Hawks it'll feel like "they've done it again". Provides leverage in case of losing Browner, and at the worst is an ideal big nickle in the already stacked secondary.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Swope/Patton/Christine Michael/Quessenberry

Edit: Expecting Patton go to NE at #29, Swope to go to Miami at #42, Michael to go to GB at #55.

So I guess the Hawks are taking Quessenberry.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Khaseem Greene. This is a passing league and even though we have Winfield, he is 35/36 and I'd hate to try and win without him should he get hurt.

Greene at the Will could help in coverage and read the edge on the read-option where Kaperneck gets yards on the outside.

I think DT is a bigger need but based on who will be available at that spot, we can probably get similar value by moving up in the 3rd.

if Greene is gone, Sio Moore, then Brandon Williams and would consider Bennie Logan.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Hoping for Christine Michael. As for who it will actually be? Beats the shit out of me.

godawg

Reaction score
Terron Arrmstead, Kyle Long, Jesse Williams or Sharif Floyd