The "what I expect to happen" mock draft, final version

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hoping you're spot on with the Sinkfield prediction. He's got the kind of speed that could really be the final piece to the WR corps, a piece that's needed IMO.

SDHawk

Reaction score
I like how you put Cooper Taylor's position as CB, first.

Brandon Browner better watch his back!

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
For those saying RB wouldn't happen in the 2nd:

-We only have two RBs right now, three if you count Robinson. Most teams carry 4 or 5. Seattle is adding a RB, and in this mock I actually have us adding two since the team will want depth for Robinson.

-Seattle is very picky with running backs. They want big backs with speed, athleticism and power with good tape. Seattle was very fortunate to get a back with those criteria in the 4th round last year. I had us taking Michael in the 4th last week because I thought he was under the radar. I was very wrong. He's looking like a near-lock in round 2 now. And for good reason. He has monster upside. If Seattle passes on Michael, there aren't a ton of mid round options that fit our criteria, and the ones that do wouldn't have a fraction of Michael's upside.

-If we draft a TE in round 2, he's replacing the 3rd TE. If we draft an OT he'd be the 3rd OT in 2013. If we draft a LB in round 2, he'd barely see the field as Seattle is going very, very nickle heavy in 2013. RB is no more/less of a need than TE, OT, or LB is. DT is the only spot where I think there's much of a case of it being a true need- but what if the Seahawks view McDaniel as an Alan Branch type? If they do, DT isn't much of a need at all.

-Is Turbin really the future bell-cow back for us? I think Turbin is great, but when I watch him closely I get Maurice Morris vibes. Lynch probably isn't going to fall off the cliff tomorrow but it needs to be said, he has a lot of miles on those tires and his decline, when it does occur, will probably be swift and unexpected. Shaun fell off his career cliff immediately after his MVP season, and it wasn't just because of Hutch leaving. I think RB could be a sneaky need in this draft.

-I would argue that Seattle doesn't have any clear needs this year that stand out above the others- they can just draft the best player at a variety of positions that makes the most long term sense. Christine Michael has top 10 overall pick type athleticism. You can't say that about any other prospect at #56, period. The closest being maybe Menelik Watson, and Watson is extremely risky. Seattle drafts based on atleticism first, and they aren't pigeonholed into drafting certain areas early. I think they will probably just draft the best athlete at #56 (even Denard Robinson wouldn't shock me).

Christine Michael is the best athlete that's likely to be available, and it's not even that close, so he's the pick I went with. I also think Menelik Watson, Brandon Williams, John Jenkins and even Stefan Charles could draw serious consideration as well as they are uncommon athletes.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Kearly, do you think Christine Michael gets past GB at #55?

GB has shown very strong interest in two of the players on the Hawks draft board - Michaels and Quessenberry.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
SDHawk":19if0fzl said:
Kearly, do you think Christine Michael gets past GB at #55?

GB has shown very strong interest in two of the players on the Hawks draft board - Michaels and Quessenberry.

Good point. Green Bay needs a running back pretty badly and they have favored power backs in the past.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I expect the Hawks to take a RB at some point. Michael, Jonathan Franklin or Latavius Murray would be great pickups. IMO, Murray may end up being one of the steals of the draft and perhaps the only one of the 3 that will be available to the Hawks 3rd round and beyond. Michael ran a 4.54. Franklin 4.49. Murray 4.38. Murray is a BIG, FAST, STRONG back. 6-3 / 223. He excels catching the ball out of the backfield as well. I wouldn't be opposed to the Hawks drafting Marcus Lattimore if he's there at 56. I think the Hawks might be a team that could afford to give him more time to rehab and even stash him on IR for a year. I know there are still needs... but, depends on what value is left when it's time to select.

I'm interested to see where LB Jayson DiManche ends up. I can't remember who originally posted about that player (Scottemojo?) Another intriguing LB prospect is Ty Powell.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2r0e93bv said:
Missing_Clink":2r0e93bv said:
hidn":2r0e93bv said:
I like Christine Michael, but I really don't want to see the Seahawks take a RB in the second.

We know from PC that in the USC days he often had a stable of star running backs, and unfortunately Marshawn isn't going to be able to run over everyone forever. From everything I've heard, Michael is absolutely elite in terms of athleticism for a big back. And if you saw those tweets when he visited, he would LOVE to be a seahawk. I can understand not wanting to take a RB that high, but personally I would be very happy if we got Michael.

Don't worry, the guy who said he would never cheer for a guy named Christine and other .net guys who pre draft said they didn't like him would become his biggest fan the second we drafted him. :th2thumbs:
:13:

lukerguy

Reaction score
Impressive Kip.

Did you enter the real rob report jersey give away for guessing the first rounder?

kigenzun

Reaction score
You nailed it kearly. Excellent work.
When we traded down I wasn't sure he'd get past GB, but sure enough... they went for Lacy instead.
Right on man! What a steal to get Christine Michael at 62! :D

bigtrain21

Reaction score
kearly":htk98u5r said:
For those saying RB wouldn't happen in the 2nd:

-We only have two RBs right now, three if you count Robinson. Most teams carry 4 or 5. Seattle is adding a RB, and in this mock I actually have us adding two since the team will want depth for Robinson.

-Seattle is very picky with running backs. They want big backs with speed, athleticism and power with good tape. Seattle was very fortunate to get a back with those criteria in the 4th round last year. I had us taking Michael in the 4th last week because I thought he was under the radar. I was very wrong. He's looking like a near-lock in round 2 now. And for good reason. He has monster upside. If Seattle passes on Michael, there aren't a ton of mid round options that fit our criteria, and the ones that do wouldn't have a fraction of Michael's upside.

-If we draft a TE in round 2, he's replacing the 3rd TE. If we draft an OT he'd be the 3rd OT in 2013. If we draft a LB in round 2, he'd barely see the field as Seattle is going very, very nickle heavy in 2013. RB is no more/less of a need than TE, OT, or LB is. DT is the only spot where I think there's much of a case of it being a true need- but what if the Seahawks view McDaniel as an Alan Branch type? If they do, DT isn't much of a need at all.

-Is Turbin really the future bell-cow back for us? I think Turbin is great, but when I watch him closely I get Maurice Morris vibes. Lynch probably isn't going to fall off the cliff tomorrow but it needs to be said, he has a lot of miles on those tires and his decline, when it does occur, will probably be swift and unexpected. Shaun fell off his career cliff immediately after his MVP season, and it wasn't just because of Hutch leaving. I think RB could be a sneaky need in this draft.

-I would argue that Seattle doesn't have any clear needs this year that stand out above the others- they can just draft the best player at a variety of positions that makes the most long term sense. Christine Michael has top 10 overall pick type athleticism. You can't say that about any other prospect at #56, period. The closest being maybe Menelik Watson, and Watson is extremely risky. Seattle drafts based on atleticism first, and they aren't pigeonholed into drafting certain areas early. I think they will probably just draft the best athlete at #56 (even Denard Robinson wouldn't shock me).

Christine Michael is the best athlete that's likely to be available, and it's not even that close, so he's the pick I went with. I also think Menelik Watson, Brandon Williams, John Jenkins and even Stefan Charles could draw serious consideration as well as they are uncommon athletes.

Damn! Awesome stuff man. Way to stand behind your pick.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
lukerguy":3ojwuh20 said:
Impressive Kip.

Did you enter the real rob report jersey give away for guessing the first rounder?

You mean the first pick? No I didn't. I hadn't heard about that.

bigtrain21":3ojwuh20 said:
Damn! Awesome stuff man. Way to stand behind your pick.

8) :thirishdrinkers:

Renohawk

Reaction score
I don't know Kearly, you had us taking him with the 56 pick, seems the trade really messed you up. Great insight, I learned more about him today reading your comments prior to the draft. Good job.

Latest posts