Can everyone please just boycott the mariners?

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Ya, 'cause this worked so damn well with the Sonics. Wait......

:34853_doh:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3u8xbhik said:
I was already pissed off at them for trying to block the sonics from coming here, but now with their pitiful start including A LOSING RECORD TO THE ASTROS!! I am ready to boycott them until some real changes our made. First off they need to can Wedge's ass. Stupid move after stupid move with benching Ryan being the latest. They need new coaches too. Why the hell are our players good at batting until they come to the mariners? And then suddenly they blow after they come here? And Jack Z's trades have mostly all been abysmal. Can his ass as well.

So even though I planned on going to a couple M's game this summer when I got home, I now realized it is full on detrimental to help fund this sinking ship. I pledge to not go to another game until real changes are made

not going to boycott them but agree with each of your issues. Although I feel the Jack Z thing is a little overblown, his trades do seem to be swaying back to the other team.

usc17hawk

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1yio8nvx said:
Ya, 'cause this worked so damn well with the Sonics. Wait......

:34853_doh:

If we boycott Safeco, then they'll be moved and we won't even get to enjoy when the real MLB teams come to town (Yankees, Giants, Astros... :stirthepot:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":or4mijym said:
I was already pissed off at them for trying to block the sonics from coming here, but now with their pitiful start including A LOSING RECORD TO THE ASTROS!! I am ready to boycott them until some real changes our made. First off they need to can Wedge's ass. Stupid move after stupid move with benching Ryan being the latest. They need new coaches too. Why the hell are our players good at batting until they come to the mariners? And then suddenly they blow after they come here? And Jack Z's trades have mostly all been abysmal. Can his ass as well.

So even though I planned on going to a couple M's game this summer when I got home, I now realized it is full on detrimental to help fund this sinking ship. I pledge to not go to another game until real changes are made
I'd never will tell anyone to boycott any local team, though I do have a personal 5 year boycott ongoing. I will not give the M's another dime thru ticket or merchandise sales until Lincoln and Armstrong are gone, and by the look at the high number of empty seats at Safeco, looks like I'm not the only one. I used to go to 15-20 games a year, now 0.

If the M's have a hard time finding their wallet to acquire top tier talent, I have a hard time finding mine to support their crap product!

OP
OP
therealjohncarlson

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
m0ng0":1w2ed50o said:
a better seat for me I say :D

football-empty-stadium-seats-rain.jpg

Snohomie

Reaction score
I stuck with the Mariners through the lows and lows of the past 9 years, but I stopped supporting them after they threw a hissyfit over the new NBA/NHL arena.

I can handle losing. I can't handle the slap in the face the Mariners gave all joint Mariners/Sonics fans.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Snohomie":3m5dyhs6 said:
I stuck with the Mariners through the lows and lows of the past 9 years, but I stopped supporting them after they threw a hissyfit over the new NBA/NHL arena.

I can handle losing. I can't handle the slap in the face the Mariners gave all joint Mariners/Sonics fans.
The above cemented the idea was of my personal boycott was the right thing to do. The Mariners don't want 2 more professional teams to compete with them for the Seattle sportsdollar. They know they have a crap product and dont have confidence in their own abilities and or willingness to spend the necessary dollars to put a championship caliber team on the field.

A successful business owner once said to me "If you do things the right way, you'll never have to worry about what your business competition does!" The M's brass could never grasp that concept.

IF you listen to the things the M's brass says you always hear the phrase "our goal is to put a competitive team on the field"............ that's it??? Mediocre teams are competitive! Notice how you never hear "our goal is to play in the World Series" or "our goal is to win championships"??? Nope, just being "competitive" is good enough for these a$$clowns! :x

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Nope, I'm still going to the games because that's what fans do.

I'm not one of those fair-weather, bandwagon part time fan though... :roll:

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
So I dont follow the Mariners enough to know this, but what is the problem? Where is the problem?

Is it the ownership? Arent they owned by some old Japanese dude thats never even been to Safeco?

Wedge?

Year after year, whats the issue?

Throwdown

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2pnszcmi said:
So I dont follow the Mariners enough to know this, but what is the problem? Where is the problem?

Is it the ownership? Arent they owned by some old Japanese dude thats never even been to Safeco?

Wedge?

Everything, just... everything

OP
OP
therealjohncarlson

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2w0cfl4o said:

Do you also buy crappy products because "thats what consumers do"? Sports is a business. Don't sell yourself short by thinking you don't deserve to spend your money on something good.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1ptp1oqy said:
Hawkfan77":1ptp1oqy said:

Do you also buy crappy products because "thats what consumers do"? Sports is a business. Don't sell yourself short by thinking you don't deserve to spend your money on something good.

If he changed his mind and decided to honor your request would he not still be a sheep? Your error is not making your proposition more lucrative.

jkitsune

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2a0zcvwr said:

Wedge?

It's a variety of things, which isn't surprising, because I imagine that if the issue were singular it would have much more easily been addressed by now. Ownership is very uninvolved in the team, which in and of itself doesn't have to be a problem, but when an organization isn't working well, having absent ownership can be a problem. That said, having OVERinvolved ownership, particularly when the owner is a buffoon, can also be a problem.

During the Bavasi years, the Mariners were devastated by a series of catastrophically stupid baseball moves. The talent that the Mariners shipped away during the Bavasi years for no returns is staggering, and is enough to make you want to vomit. This is all pretty well-documented and is the absolute foundation of the team's struggles. That Lincoln/Armstrong let Bavasi stick around long enough to devastate the team in this manner is inexcusable.

During the Zduriencik years, the Mariners have made much better baseball decisions (no, not all of them are winners), but have suffered their fair share of awful luck. Everyone thought Smoak, Montero, and Ackley would hit (and maybe Montero and Ackley still will), and if those three players were hitting to their potential right now, the Mariners look like a completely different team. Getting Guti (et al) for Putz was a stroke of brilliance, and if not for injury troubles, he'd be a star. A lot of extremely talented young players have completely tanked on the Mariners, and while you could assume that must be an indictment of coaching staff, I think it's more likely beyond the team's control. Prospects are always fluky in this way, and the Mariners have been on the receiving end of more than their share of highly-touted prospects flaming out.

Zduriencik is also hamstrung by a relatively limited budget. It's not true that management is UNWILLING to spend, and they have certainly made their fair share of lucrative offers, but unfortunately, the Mariners' reputation as a club (and the tendency of talented hitters to fade into nothingness in Seattle) makes them a difficult place to sell to free agents. You could argue whether or not buying bats like Fielder and Pujols is a good idea for the team, but I think it's fair to say that IF you had an unlimited budget, it's a fine idea - the Mariners don't, unfortunately.

On top of that, Zduriencik has suddenly decided that adding aging vets on 1-year deals to take up otherwise-useful at-bats from younger players is a fine idea. Jason Bay is one thing, but Raul Ibanez is another entirely. It probably doesn't substantially harm the club, but it certainly doesn't help the club.

I'm sure I could think of others, but the bottom line is - the Mariners are a mess. Their highly-talented farm system/trades produced three top-tier hitting talents that are all tanking. Those three were supposed to be the cornerstone of a new generation of Mariners that would carry the team back to relevance. That it hasn't happened is pretty devastating to the franchise. Seager seems good. Maybe Saunders and Zunino will be good. Maybe Ackley and Montero will turn it around, and Smoak will be the only loss of the three. Here's hoping.

Throwdown

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2r7gjn40 said:
Hawkfan77":2r7gjn40 said:

Who cares what he spends his money on? it ain't hurtin' no body.

There's more than just going to root for the M's, going to the stadium itself is fun, if he likes going there why call him a sheep?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Throwdown":1olqsvto said:
therealjohncarlson":1olqsvto said:

Who cares what he spends his money on? it ain't hurtin' no body.

There's more than just going to root for the M's, going to the stadium itself is fun, if he likes going there why call him a sheep?

some people just have misguided reasons why they hate the Ms. They arent good, which should be enough.