Can everyone please just boycott the mariners?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • I was already pissed off at them for trying to block the sonics from coming here, but now with their pitiful start including A LOSING RECORD TO THE ASTROS!! I am ready to boycott them until some real changes our made. First off they need to can Wedge's ass. Stupid move after stupid move with benching Ryan being the latest. They need new coaches too. Why the hell are our players good at batting until they come to the mariners? And then suddenly they blow after they come here? And Jack Z's trades have mostly all been abysmal. Can his ass as well.

So even though I planned on going to a couple M's game this summer when I got home, I now realized it is full on detrimental to help fund this sinking ship. I pledge to not go to another game until real changes are made
    Last edited by therealjohncarlson on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• Aren't they already? I heard those crowds are mighty mighty small.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Done
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• I had free tickets to a Tiger game. There were 8000-10000? In attendance. Half were Detroit fans and the other half used it as a social event. Not payingvattention to the game at all. Its pathetic. Unfortunately for Mariner fans there is so mych revenue from television I don't think they care if anyone shows up at the game.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:I had free tickets to a Tiger game. There were 8000-10000? In attendance. Half were Detroit fans and the other half used it as a social event. Not payingvattention to the game at all. Its pathetic. Unfortunately for Mariner fans there is so mych revenue from television I don't think they care if anyone shows up at the game.

That's increasingly happened since they introduced that "Pen" area where people just stand, socialize, and drink the entire game. It's kind of sad, really.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• No. I'm not going to boycott a team I love just because they aren't good. I'm a fan, gotta take the bad with the good.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• Their attempts at blocking the Sonics really pissed me off. I already am boycotting them. I normally go to 1-2 games each season to support the local team, but not now. Thank the baby Jesus that the Seahawks officially supported the arena deal.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Trrrroy wrote:No. I'm not going to boycott a team I love just because they aren't good. I'm a fan, gotta take the bad with the good.

We don't owe the team anything. We are the reason players get paid millions to play a sport. If we're going to let this happen we might as well demand a half decent product. Sports are a business like anything else.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• I'm going to the game tomorrow, and will probably go to a few King's Court games, but I will join your effort and buy myself 1 less beer (I'll make my girlfriend buy it).
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:
    Trrrroy wrote:No. I'm not going to boycott a team I love just because they aren't good. I'm a fan, gotta take the bad with the good.

We don't owe the team anything. We are the reason players get paid millions to play a sport. If we're going to let this happen we might as well demand a half decent product. Sports are a business like anything else.

I think your fandom feels different than mine, then. It's not an option for me. I live in the Bay Area, so I only get to see them when they come to Oakland, but I'll still watch and root and hope. They're terrible, they've been terrible for a while, and I'm not going to rehash all of the same things I've said in a gazillion other posts.

But trust me, if being a Mariners fan were a choice for me, I'd choose something else. I live in Giants territory. I would love to be able to passionately root for the Giants. But I can't.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• Screw the Ms. I tried many many times to stick with em, but Ive given in to the fact they may forever suck. Even when they had good players they never could make it to the big one, came close but yet so far. And now theyve sucked for the last 10ish years or so. Im gonna get crap for this but the second I decided I could chose my own team instead of somthing I grew up and was sort of forced into, I did.
    jhawk91
    NET Veteran

• Trrrroy wrote:No. I'm not going to boycott a team I love just because they aren't good. I'm a fan, gotta take the bad with the good.

And if ppl wanna get upset about where you're at in the stadium while you are doing what you enjoy, well clearly they're better than you or I. Mariners look like they're in classic form though, I'll say amen to that.
    |~=[==~||~==]=~|
    ||Tfs LnD ] [ HAWKS||
    RIP BFS. He was kind of a douche, but he was our kind of a douche.
    ClumsyLurk
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:hmmm...............I wonder why the sonics left :D

Suprisingly I still love the Sonics, the Mariners just never really did it for me. I dont remember the 01 season much since I was kinda young and when I got into baseball alot, they where just bad and never seemed to improve at all.
    jhawk91
    NET Veteran

• I'm not a huge Mariners fan, or really a fan, in fact, I find the entire organization, top to bottom, laughable, petty and pathetic. The organization reaps what they sow. I understand for some of you, you don't have a choice in the matter, its like me and the Seahawks. I have to wonder how much longer this will go on until it turns off even the most diehard of diehard fans and those fans will only show up to games because they love baseball so much.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Ignorance at its finest, salute.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Not cool.......... :x
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Well, just think you all could be Blue Jays fans... :cry:
    GCrow
    NET Veteran

I'm with Trrrroy on this one. It's hard to get excited for the M's, but as a fan you still have to pull for them. If the Seahawks went bad for awhile i'd still pull for them.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• getnasty wrote:
    If the Seahawks went bad for awhile i'd still pull for them.

been there done that already :D We were not always super bowl contenders :D
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Can everyone please just boycott the mariners?

Ya, 'cause this worked so damn well with the Sonics. Wait......

:34853_doh:
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• therealjohncarlson wrote:I was already pissed off at them for trying to block the sonics from coming here, but now with their pitiful start including A LOSING RECORD TO THE ASTROS!! I am ready to boycott them until some real changes our made. First off they need to can Wedge's ass. Stupid move after stupid move with benching Ryan being the latest. They need new coaches too. Why the hell are our players good at batting until they come to the mariners? And then suddenly they blow after they come here? And Jack Z's trades have mostly all been abysmal. Can his ass as well.

So even though I planned on going to a couple M's game this summer when I got home, I now realized it is full on detrimental to help fund this sinking ship. I pledge to not go to another game until real changes are made

not going to boycott them but agree with each of your issues. Although I feel the Jack Z thing is a little overblown, his trades do seem to be swaying back to the other team.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Jazzhawk wrote:
    Can everyone please just boycott the mariners?

Ya, 'cause this worked so damn well with the Sonics. Wait......

:34853_doh:

If we boycott Safeco, then they'll be moved and we won't even get to enjoy when the real MLB teams come to town (Yankees, Giants, Astros... :stirthepot:
    usc17hawk
    NET Rookie

• therealjohncarlson wrote:I was already pissed off at them for trying to block the sonics from coming here, but now with their pitiful start including A LOSING RECORD TO THE ASTROS!! I am ready to boycott them until some real changes our made. First off they need to can Wedge's ass. Stupid move after stupid move with benching Ryan being the latest. They need new coaches too. Why the hell are our players good at batting until they come to the mariners? And then suddenly they blow after they come here? And Jack Z's trades have mostly all been abysmal. Can his ass as well.

I'd never will tell anyone to boycott any local team, though I do have a personal 5 year boycott ongoing. I will not give the M's another dime thru ticket or merchandise sales until Lincoln and Armstrong are gone, and by the look at the high number of empty seats at Safeco, looks like I'm not the only one. I used to go to 15-20 games a year, now 0.

If the M's have a hard time finding their wallet to acquire top tier talent, I have a hard time finding mine to support their crap product!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• m0ng0 wrote:a better seat for me I say :D

therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:a better seat for me I say :D

Have at it. I want it back after dumb and dumber (Chuck and Howard) are gone though.

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• They didn't give me a god damn beard hat.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• pinksheets wrote:They didn't give me a god damn beard hat.

Now THAT would have pissed me off right there :P
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• I stuck with the Mariners through the lows and lows of the past 9 years, but I stopped supporting them after they threw a hissyfit over the new NBA/NHL arena.

I can handle losing. I can't handle the slap in the face the Mariners gave all joint Mariners/Sonics fans.
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

• pinksheets wrote:They didn't give me a god damn beard hat.

Bastards!!!!!!!!! :x

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Snohomie wrote:I stuck with the Mariners through the lows and lows of the past 9 years, but I stopped supporting them after they threw a hissyfit over the new NBA/NHL arena.

I can handle losing. I can't handle the slap in the face the Mariners gave all joint Mariners/Sonics fans.

The above cemented the idea was of my personal boycott was the right thing to do. The Mariners don't want 2 more professional teams to compete with them for the Seattle sportsdollar. They know they have a crap product and dont have confidence in their own abilities and or willingness to spend the necessary dollars to put a championship caliber team on the field.

A successful business owner once said to me "If you do things the right way, you'll never have to worry about what your business competition does!" The M's brass could never grasp that concept.

IF you listen to the things the M's brass says you always hear the phrase "our goal is to put a competitive team on the field"............ that's it??? Mediocre teams are competitive! Notice how you never hear "our goal is to play in the World Series" or "our goal is to win championships"??? Nope, just being "competitive" is good enough for these a$$clowns! :x

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Nope, I'm still going to the games because that's what fans do.

I'm not one of those fair-weather, bandwagon part time fan though... :roll:
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• So I dont follow the Mariners enough to know this, but what is the problem? Where is the problem?

Is it the ownership? Arent they owned by some old Japanese dude thats never even been to Safeco?

Wedge?

Year after year, whats the issue?
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:So I dont follow the Mariners enough to know this, but what is the problem? Where is the problem?

Is it the ownership? Arent they owned by some old Japanese dude thats never even been to Safeco?

Wedge?

Everything, just... everything
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Hawkfan77 wrote:Nope, I'm still going to the games because that's what fans do.

Do you also buy crappy products because "thats what consumers do"? Sports is a business. Don't sell yourself short by thinking you don't deserve to spend your money on something good.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Hawkfan77 wrote:Nope, I'm still going to the games because that's what fans do.

Do you also buy crappy products because "thats what consumers do"? Sports is a business. Don't sell yourself short by thinking you don't deserve to spend your money on something good.

If he changed his mind and decided to honor your request would he not still be a sheep? Your error is not making your proposition more lucrative.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.

Yes. I am not happy so much. I am too seriously! .. Kap is not a great leader period!! Hurt my heart and s**t my painfully. ..
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:So I dont follow the Mariners enough to know this, but what is the problem? Where is the problem?

Wedge?

It's a variety of things, which isn't surprising, because I imagine that if the issue were singular it would have much more easily been addressed by now. Ownership is very uninvolved in the team, which in and of itself doesn't have to be a problem, but when an organization isn't working well, having absent ownership can be a problem. That said, having OVERinvolved ownership, particularly when the owner is a buffoon, can also be a problem.

During the Bavasi years, the Mariners were devastated by a series of catastrophically stupid baseball moves. The talent that the Mariners shipped away during the Bavasi years for no returns is staggering, and is enough to make you want to vomit. This is all pretty well-documented and is the absolute foundation of the team's struggles. That Lincoln/Armstrong let Bavasi stick around long enough to devastate the team in this manner is inexcusable.

During the Zduriencik years, the Mariners have made much better baseball decisions (no, not all of them are winners), but have suffered their fair share of awful luck. Everyone thought Smoak, Montero, and Ackley would hit (and maybe Montero and Ackley still will), and if those three players were hitting to their potential right now, the Mariners look like a completely different team. Getting Guti (et al) for Putz was a stroke of brilliance, and if not for injury troubles, he'd be a star. A lot of extremely talented young players have completely tanked on the Mariners, and while you could assume that must be an indictment of coaching staff, I think it's more likely beyond the team's control. Prospects are always fluky in this way, and the Mariners have been on the receiving end of more than their share of highly-touted prospects flaming out.

Zduriencik is also hamstrung by a relatively limited budget. It's not true that management is UNWILLING to spend, and they have certainly made their fair share of lucrative offers, but unfortunately, the Mariners' reputation as a club (and the tendency of talented hitters to fade into nothingness in Seattle) makes them a difficult place to sell to free agents. You could argue whether or not buying bats like Fielder and Pujols is a good idea for the team, but I think it's fair to say that IF you had an unlimited budget, it's a fine idea - the Mariners don't, unfortunately.

On top of that, Zduriencik has suddenly decided that adding aging vets on 1-year deals to take up otherwise-useful at-bats from younger players is a fine idea. Jason Bay is one thing, but Raul Ibanez is another entirely. It probably doesn't substantially harm the club, but it certainly doesn't help the club.

I'm sure I could think of others, but the bottom line is - the Mariners are a mess. Their highly-talented farm system/trades produced three top-tier hitting talents that are all tanking. Those three were supposed to be the cornerstone of a new generation of Mariners that would carry the team back to relevance. That it hasn't happened is pretty devastating to the franchise. Seager seems good. Maybe Saunders and Zunino will be good. Maybe Ackley and Montero will turn it around, and Smoak will be the only loss of the three. Here's hoping.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Hawkfan77 wrote:Nope, I'm still going to the games because that's what fans do.

Who cares what he spends his money on? it ain't hurtin' no body.

There's more than just going to root for the M's, going to the stadium itself is fun, if he likes going there why call him a sheep?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:

Who cares what he spends his money on? it ain't hurtin' no body.

There's more than just going to root for the M's, going to the stadium itself is fun, if he likes going there why call him a sheep?

some people just have misguided reasons why they hate the Ms. They arent good, which should be enough.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• jkitsune wrote:
    It's a variety of things, which isn't surprising, because I imagine that if the issue were singular it would have much more easily been addressed by now. Ownership is very uninvolved in the team, which in and of itself doesn't have to be a problem, but when an organization isn't working well, having absent ownership can be a problem. That said, having OVERinvolved ownership, particularly when the owner is a buffoon, can also be a problem.

During the Bavasi years, the Mariners were devastated by a series of catastrophically stupid baseball moves. The talent that the Mariners shipped away during the Bavasi years for no returns is staggering, and is enough to make you want to vomit. This is all pretty well-documented and is the absolute foundation of the team's struggles. That Lincoln/Armstrong let Bavasi stick around long enough to devastate the team in this manner is inexcusable.

During the Zduriencik years, the Mariners have made much better baseball decisions (no, not all of them are winners), but have suffered their fair share of awful luck. Everyone thought Smoak, Montero, and Ackley would hit (and maybe Montero and Ackley still will), and if those three players were hitting to their potential right now, the Mariners look like a completely different team. Getting Guti (et al) for Putz was a stroke of brilliance, and if not for injury troubles, he'd be a star. A lot of extremely talented young players have completely tanked on the Mariners, and while you could assume that must be an indictment of coaching staff, I think it's more likely beyond the team's control. Prospects are always fluky in this way, and the Mariners have been on the receiving end of more than their share of highly-touted prospects flaming out.

Zduriencik is also hamstrung by a relatively limited budget. It's not true that management is UNWILLING to spend, and they have certainly made their fair share of lucrative offers, but unfortunately, the Mariners' reputation as a club (and the tendency of talented hitters to fade into nothingness in Seattle) makes them a difficult place to sell to free agents. You could argue whether or not buying bats like Fielder and Pujols is a good idea for the team, but I think it's fair to say that IF you had an unlimited budget, it's a fine idea - the Mariners don't, unfortunately.

On top of that, Zduriencik has suddenly decided that adding aging vets on 1-year deals to take up otherwise-useful at-bats from younger players is a fine idea. Jason Bay is one thing, but Raul Ibanez is another entirely. It probably doesn't substantially harm the club, but it certainly doesn't help the club.

I'm sure I could think of others, but the bottom line is - the Mariners are a mess. Their highly-talented farm system/trades produced three top-tier hitting talents that are all tanking. Those three were supposed to be the cornerstone of a new generation of Mariners that would carry the team back to relevance. That it hasn't happened is pretty devastating to the franchise. Seager seems good. Maybe Saunders and Zunino will be good. Maybe Ackley and Montero will turn it around, and Smoak will be the only loss of the three. Here's hoping.

Pretty well said... alot of faith put into younger players after the debacle that Bavasi caused, and those younger players arent working out. Thankfully (atleast on the very front end) Hamilton turned us down or we'd have another 25 million a year invested in a player who isnt hitting.

Baseballs a funny sport, and to put together a successful team you either need to spend 100s of millions or get lucky with young players. Weve tried the younger player approach and while each of Smoak, Ackely and Montero all looked the part in their projections, they just havent hit.

We still have a strong farm system with young talent. if the younger guys can show promise and start to become atleast average MLB level players we may rebound for 2014 with a new crop of free agent possibilities and the likes of Walker, Hultzen, Franklin and Zunino joining
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia wrote:"...I will not give the M's another dime thru ticket or merchandise sales until Lincoln and Armstrong are gone..."

Exactly.

I don't even bother watching the games or keeping up with them, it's a waste of time until real changes are made.

Chances are they lost anyway.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• Interesting, thanks jkitsune
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• After seeing the Seahawks completely revamp the organization from a laughingstock disaster to the potential for a dynasty in three short years, I have even less faith in the Mariners than I did before. I'm sorry, but fielding a crappy product and actively working against other local sports franchises, and trying to shellac it with a cheep coat of humor and a beard hat is not a professional way to run a sports franchise. Disjointed leadership in the team + concerted effort to keep the Sonics away + laughable product on the field + gimmicks and funny commercials as the only efforts to bring fans in = train wreck I am not willing to pay to see.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:After seeing the Seahawks completely revamp the organization from a laughingstock disaster to the potential for a dynasty in three short years, I have even less faith in the Mariners than I did before. I'm sorry, but fielding a crappy product and actively working against other local sports franchises, and trying to shellac it with a cheep coat of humor and a beard hat is not a professional way to run a sports franchise. Disjointed leadership in the team + concerted effort to keep the Sonics away + laughable product on the field + gimmicks and funny commercials as the only efforts to bring fans in = train wreck I am not willing to pay to see.

I'm not going to defend the Mariners too much on this, because they don't really give me much to defend them with. Baseball franchises don't rebuild as quickly as football franchises, in large part because there's so many levels of minor league system before players are even prepared to join the major league club. Good drafts in baseball don't generally pay dividends until several years down the road, and so you would expect, generally, that it may take 5-6 years to rebuild.

Obviously, it's taken longer than that, so I'm not using that as an excuse. Z has been a far better GM than Bavasi was (low bar to hurdle), and if Ackley, Smoak, and Montero were living up to their potential, we'd be looking at a much different future than we are right now. I think it's easy to forget that it's not as if the Mariners were the only people who thought these three would hit - Smoak and Montero were both top-10 prospects for many years in the eyes of scouts league-wide, and everyone thought Ackley would hit.

As for the PR, yeah. I don't really fault them for funny commercials and gimmicky promotions because all teams do that (the Giants do it less well, I can attest), but their tone-deaf bickering about the Sonics was an awful decision, and only served to alienate the franchise from the town.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:Their attempts at blocking the Sonics really pissed me off. I already am boycotting them. I normally go to 1-2 games each season to support the local team, but not now. Thank the baby Jesus that the Seahawks officially supported the arena deal.

This^ except I was more the 5-7 per year.
    birdman5
    NET Rookie

• They have played pretty good ball the last 4 games, and seem to be gaining some confidence.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Unless we want to be a 1 sport city we probably shouldn't boycott the Mariners.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• TheRealDTM wrote:Unless we want to be a 1 sport city we probably shouldn't boycott the Mariners.

winner winner chicken dinner !
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• I started boycotting them last season. I used to love going to games but I didn't go to one last year and i likely won't go to one this year. They will not get any more money from me until they put a quality product out there for a meaningful period of time.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:13 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information