Mathieu should refuse deal to sign with cards

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
the kid is a chowder head and is lucky he was even drafted after getting kicked off his college team. I wouldn't give him any guaranteed money either.

pinksheets

Reaction score
To all you knuckleheads who are saying "I wouldn't give him any guaranteed money either," then you shouldn't/wouldn't draft him. If you think a guy is only worth a totally non-guaranteed contract, don't draft him in a position where a contract with guaranteed money is the norm. You wait or you pay, simple as that. You can't have your cake and eat it, too (assuming Honeybadger didn't eat it when he got the munchies).

bigtrain21

Reaction score
pinksheets":2upo2n7m said:
To all you knuckleheads who are saying "I wouldn't give him any guaranteed money either," then you shouldn't/wouldn't draft him. If you think a guy is only worth a totally non-guaranteed contract, don't draft him in a position where a contract with guaranteed money is the norm. You wait or you pay, simple as that. You can't have your cake and eat it, too (assuming Honeybadger didn't eat it when he got the munchies).

This is exactly right. Part of when you are making an assessment of whether to pick a player in a given is the guaranteed money you are going to give him. If they didn't want to pay it, then they shouldn't have drafted him in that spot.

Is it confirmed they want to do this or is it just a rumor. If they did this I find it a terrible way to start off with the kid.

pehawk

Reaction score
I love the "he can get guaranteed paycheck for every game" nonsense. It's entirely ignorant to the NFL CBA and business model. The game comes with inherent risks. Guaranteed money is the ONLY reward for taking those risks. If Mathieu gets paralyzed in the first preseason game, that's it, he gets nothing.

And NONE of you saying that the Cardinals are right, would take a fiscal deal less than your peers. Even if you’re a garbage man, you're not going to say "hmm, okay, I'll take less than what you pay everyone else". And chances are you cant get paralyzed doing your job...Mathieu can.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I believe that the Cards have every right to do with Mathieu as the Jags did wiith Justin Blackmon.

The club has a right to protect themselves.

pehawk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1zpbjgct said:
I believe that the Cards have every right to do with Mathieu as the Jags did wiith Justin Blackmon.

They're not offering anything close to what the Jags offered Blackmon. Just saying.

pinksheets

Reaction score
They can protect themselves by not drafting a guy they are so concerned with.

kearly

Reaction score
pinksheets":345w0p0g said:

Man, if there were recs at .net every post you make would be green. Nailed it.

HolyEffinMoses

Reaction score
bigtrain21":1iiblj9q said:
This is exactly right. Part of when you are making an assessment of whether to pick a player in a given is the guaranteed money you are going to give him. If they didn't want to pay it, then they shouldn't have drafted him in that spot.

Is it confirmed they want to do this or is it just a rumor. If they did this I find it a terrible way to start off with the kid.

SI's Peter King reported it, but Mathieu's agent is saying they haven't had contract discussions yet and they would refuse the deal if it had no guaranteed money.

Its all just hyped up drama right now. They're more than likely going to find a contract that protects the team and still gets Mathieu something guaranteed.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
pehawk":2h8rfki0 said:
onanygivensunday":2h8rfki0 said:

They're not offering anything close to what the Jags offered Blackmon. Just saying.
That goes without saying.

Blackmon was drafted #5 overall and Mathieu was drafted in the 3rd round.

All I'm saying is JAC put a clause in Blackmon's contract that protects them from paying all the guaranteed money to Blackmon in the event he doesn't stay clean, which he hasn't. Whether or not JAC exercises that out by cutting him is a topic for anther discussion.

ARI can do the same with Mathieu. That's all I'm saying.

pehawk

Reaction score
No, what I meant is Blackmon's deal, structurally, is way different than what the Cards are offering.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Not sure that there's endless ways to structure a contract under the CBA that can satisfy and "protect" both sides, but I'm quite positive they'll work it out. Of course the agent is going to be gunning for as much "up front" money as he can possibly get for his client (and himself). The agent sure doesn't want to wait to get paid... the concerns of him coming away with nothing when the Badger inevitably eff's-up are just as valid as the teams.

kidhawk

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":2v6293a2 said:
Not sure that there's endless ways to structure a contract under the CBA that can satisfy and "protect" both sides, but I'm quite positive they'll work it out. Of course the agent is going to be gunning for as much "up front" money as he can possibly get for his client (and himself). The agent sure doesn't want to wait to get paid... the concerns of him coming away with nothing when the Badger inevitably eff's-up are just as valid as the teams.

Nobody forces him to take the guy on as a client. If the risk vs reward is too much, spend your time on other clients. He took the kid on and should have known by then exactly the risk he was getting into. And if the agent is so worried about him offending again, then that's even more reason for the Cardinals to be wary in the way they structure his deal.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1iojwcqg said:
LawlessHawk":1iojwcqg said:

Nobody forces him to take the guy on as a client. If the risk vs reward is too much, spend your time on other clients. He took the kid on and should have known by then exactly the risk he was getting into. And if the agent is so worried about him offending again, then that's even more reason for the Cardinals to be wary in the way they structure his deal.

Very true. But come on man, we know they're all greedy basta'ds. I didn't bother to look at who his agent is, but I'd bet most all of them wouldn't turn down any client, let alone one with as much potential publicity tied to them as this one has.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
The Cards shouldn't have drafted him if they were going to shortchange his contract. No guaranteed money means even if he does go clean and minds his Ps and Qs and turns into a good player, if he goes down with injury, the Cards can just screw him. I actually hope the NFL and PA force the Cards to pay him a competitive contract based on where they drafted him. They (and the other 31 teams along with anyone remotely interested in the draft) knew exactly what they drafted, I don't feel sorry for them in the slightest.

BASF

Reaction score
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if any player goes down with injury, doesn't the team have to come to an injury settlement with the player?

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Only if they release him within the same football year he sustained the injury. If he's out 6 games, he'd be up the creek. Guaranteed money at least gives them a check if they need to miss an extended period of time.

Say he misses weeks 2-10 due to injury. Arizona could release him after the 2014 football year begins and not bother to pay him for the games he missed, or an injury settlement.

ivotuk

Reaction score
pehawk":382tyyt7 said:
I love the "he can get guaranteed paycheck for every game" nonsense. It's entirely ignorant to the NFL CBA and business model. The game comes with inherent risks. Guaranteed money is the ONLY reward for taking those risks. If Mathieu gets paralyzed in the first preseason game, that's it, he gets nothing.

And NONE of you saying that the Cardinals are right, would take a fiscal deal less than your peers. Even if you’re a garbage man, you're not going to say "hmm, okay, I'll take less than what you pay everyone else". And chances are you cant get paralyzed doing your job...Mathieu can.

There are a lot of jobs where people get injured or paralyzed, they have no guaranteed money, why should nfl players get it? Look at how that worked out for the raiders and jamarcus...

I don't see the players as any different than anyone else. I have been injured on the job and got little to nothing for my pain. I have friends who have been injured on construction jobs, a guy who was paralyzed playing hockey.

Why should NFL players get anymore of a guarantee than the average working man or woman who will never see the kind of fame and money that someone who has the best job in the world will see? What makes them so special?

I think AZ is doing the right thing considering what a loser this guy is. But they were foolish to pick him. Either way, Matheiu has done NOTHING to earn guaranteed money and has EARNED the reputation he has so he has no one to blame but himself, well and Jamarcus Russell.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
IIRC Mathieu tested positive for SYNTHETIC MARIJUANA substances (i.e. K2, Spice, Kush) which is not only THC but synthetic substances that mimic THC, cocaine and uppers depending on the brand. These synthetics are 6x more potent than marijuana and some have hallucinogenic properties. Many states don't have regulations covering these substances that are made in third world countries and sold in smoke shops and over the internet. CD treatment won't necessarily address these newer drugs and there is NO guarantee that his play will be the same since he's been out of football and clean.

What's we should really be concerned with is that Spencer Ware and Tharold Simon (his LSU teammates) also tested positive for the same. Have they been clean and will they get guaranteed money?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
And yes the Cardinals are doing the right thing. Incentives should be key and guarantees will come later with future contract. For Mathieu to be a HOF player some day he'll need to stay clean and work his tail off ( i.e. Cris Carter).
IMO he should be grateful he was picked in the 3rd.

Latest posts