Washington Crapturfs.

Washington Pigstys.

Washington Injured Reserves.

Washington PUPlisters.

Washington Injury Settlements.

Spokane

Reaction score
New/old name idea (said before): washington senators

You know how you can sponsor a kids team and get it named however you want?

I think it would boost a change at the NFL level if a parent spent the cash and called it..."The Blackskins"

What would happen then? You think Obama might even get involved in that one? Yeah he would.

And it would be a perfectly fine name due to the redskins, but things would change.

Subzero717

Reaction score
There was an article that came out today that stated 89% of middle aged white folk in the mid west dont see what the hoopla is all about. I'll see if I can't find it.

dunceface

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":oyg62nj4 said:
There was an article that came out today that stated 89% of middle aged white folk in the mid west dont see what the hoopla is all about. I'll see if I can't find it.

Hahaha BREAKING NEWS: Ignorant people are ignorant.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I dislike the name but I wouldn't say it offends me. Their logo (and crude cartoonish depictions of it) bothers me more. Being 1/4th native I would sooner cheer for the Taliban then Washington.

Their FO/owner are quite stupid however. An NFL team that opens themselves up to the kind of lawsuits that will ensue from a derogatory name is completely stupid. They'd have gained a lot of support changing names in an effort to not be offensive instead of attracting bad publicity acting like jerks. They're setting themselves up for a reduced fan base when they ought to be gaining every bandwagoneer they can, and soon the NFL will will be on the hot seat as well.

Doesn't matter to me how many Americans support them clinging to their name. The NFL is after a larger market then those that care enough to respond to a pro football poll and want nothing to change for sentimental reasons. If their breast cancer hype from last year makes an inroad to women fans, well, they'll be a lot more sensitive to this issue then the average male fan. Not to mention the media will sway popular opinion one of these days, resistance is futile.

rideaducati

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3fane2rd said:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/US-poll-finds-widespread-support-for-Redskins-name-050213

Here it is. Take notice of where the supporters are all from. Another thing I didn't know was Native Americans sued and on described it as using the "N" word. Listen very carefully if Native Americans are offended, THEN IT IS RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one else has an opinion in the matter.

Most Native Americans are NOT offended by the "Redskins" name. It seems to be liberal middle aged white men that are somehow offended by more and more things these days that are trying to tell others what they should think. If the Native American's were offended by the name, we would hear about it because it would be a HUGE story in the news. It's not a huge story.

http://voices.yahoo.com/is-redskins-nam ... 10337.html

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
rideaducati":s616czvs said:
CALIHAWK1":s616czvs said:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/US-poll-finds-widespread-support-for-Redskins-name-050213

Here it is. Take notice of where the supporters are all from. Another thing I didn't know was Native Americans sued and on described it as using the "N" word. Listen very carefully if Native Americans are offended, THEN IT IS RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one else has an opinion in the matter.

Most Native Americans are NOT offended by the "Redskins" name. It seems to be liberal middle aged white men that are somehow offended by more and more things these days that are trying to tell others what they should think. If the Native American's were offended by the name, we would hear about it because it would be a HUGE story in the news. It's not a huge story.

Well. that just seals the deal then. Who can argue with that logic.

Besides, there is a politics forum for you to rant against liberals. Please do not pollute the rest of the forum with your nonsense.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
rideaducati":21b5yr8p said:
CALIHAWK1":21b5yr8p said:

This was not a referendum on the NFL club. This was a referendum on every high school, college, and NFL team that uses an native inspired mascot.

Natives don't have that big of a problem with schools using the name. They aren't going to be indignant at a bunch of adolescents using the name. A bunch of millionaires capitalizing off the term, however, and that charity ends.

Mistrust of the federal govt. for breaking every single treaty ever signed with tribes, corporations and robber barons taking arable land and resources leaving tribes to starve, and generations of free press that did nothing except applaud their plight, they want to be left alone, not have a new batch of lying corporate paid idiots ignore and/or misrepresent their voice again and laugh in their face over it.

Want to know what they really think? Go drive to a reservation alone, hit the quiet bars where Caucasians rarely go and refer to the patrons as redskins and redmen. Remember, card carrying natives can only be subjected for federal penalties for whatever happens, federal sentences are surprisingly light without the heavier state penalties tacked on.

pinksheets

Reaction score
I'm not sure it matters to me whether or not people of Native American descent are offended by the name. It's still a racial slur, so it offends me. It's 2013, that's all I'm sayin', let's act like it.

SE174

Reaction score
rideaducati":2mn1eu2y said:
CALIHAWK1":2mn1eu2y said:

Yeah, an article written by a self-stated, lifelong Redskins fan. Completely objective. :sarcasm_off:

Just because someone puts up with something, doesn't mean it isn't wrong. Racism, sexism, elitism and other forms of ignorance have been propagated in this country since it's inception.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I think the Groz summed it up perfectly (Cowboy fandom aside).

You couldn't have a team named "The Black Skins" or "The Yellow Skins" with a matching logo. You don't even need to explain why it wouldn't be tolerated and you wouldn't need to wait for someone to get offended by it.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Let's not draw the line there, you don't go far enough. The Clevland Indians should be renamed because it offends Native Americans, the Notre Dame fighting Irish slanders those of Irish decent as being born of violence so they should give up their name also. Further, let us not remain ignorant neandrethals and only account for American history, but all teams with the Aztec name should give that up as I am sure it was not a name adopted by the natives of that land. Even than I am sure some in the satanist following are offended by the Sun Devils of Arizona State so of course they should give up that name as well, for we wouldn't want to be hypocritical would we? Yes, there is some gest here, but don't succumb to annachronistic tendencies when disparaging entire fanbases for following a team with a name which most certainly was offensive to some group at a given time.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1b0cinzo said:
rideaducati":1b0cinzo said:
CALIHAWK1":1b0cinzo said:

Besides, there is a politics forum for you to rant against liberals. Please do not pollute the rest of the forum with your nonsense.

So do you disagree with his post, or are you getting more personal? Since there is a clear understanding of how the forum works displayed in your post, I would assume you meant to disagree with the post and just accidentally muddled it up with the poster-attacking language.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Take the story of the FSU Seminoles. The relationship between the Seminole tribe and FSU is not storybook perfect, but FSU lets the tribe provide the mascot and PROFITS the tribe through merchandising royalties, provides full scholarship to native Seminole students, etc etc. In this case, the Seminole tribe has voted in favor of the school keeping the Seminole name. Because the deal is MUTUALLY beneficial.

Show me a multi-millionaire led professional team that capitalizes off a Native mascot that is giving back to the Native community.

It's not so much the what as the how. FSU and the Seminole tribe actually have a relationship. Snyder just wants to protect his money. Whenever the cost of the lawsuits is greater then the cost of changing the team name, it will happen. Because that is the bottom line. Not tradition, respect, or anything else but Snyder's profit margin.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
JesterHawk":4yctk519 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":4yctk519 said:

So do you disagree with his post, or are you getting more personal? Since there is a clear understanding of how the forum works displayed in your post, I would assume you meant to disagree with the post and just accidentally muddled it up with the poster-attacking language.

Or, maybe you are hypersensitive and it causes you to read too much into some things?

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Personally, I don't know why the notoriously money hungry Snyder hasn't already changed the name & logo. Just think of all the money to be made by forcing an entire fanbase to buy all new merchandise.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Lady Talon":3falfm14 said:
Take the story of the FSU Seminoles. The relationship between the Seminole tribe and FSU is not storybook perfect, but FSU lets the tribe provide the mascot and PROFITS the tribe through merchandising royalties, provides full scholarship to native Seminole students, etc etc. In this case, the Seminole tribe has voted in favor of the school keeping the Seminole name. Because the deal is MUTUALLY beneficial.

Show me a multi-millionaire led professional team that capitalizes off a Native mascot that is giving back to the Native community.

It's not so much the what as the how. FSU and the Seminole tribe actually have a relationship. Snyder just wants to protect his money. Whenever the cost of the lawsuits is greater then the cost of changing the team name, it will happen. Because that is the bottom line. Not tradition, respect, or anything else but Snyder's profit margin.
The Chippewas and Central Michigan also have some kind of understanding I believe.