Geno Smith--Bust or Star?

OkieHawk

Reaction score
taz291819":3mmcwvhz said:
In Eli's defense, that was more of Archie Manning's doing with San Diego.

Never come to Eli's defense. You are correct about it being Archie though.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I don't think he'll be a bust, but mostly because he's going to a dysfunctional organization that couldn't make RW a superstar.

I don't consider second round QBs busts if they don't have a great career.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":htqldlrf said:
I think Geno flops big time.

The logic center of my mind tells me that Smith is a good prospect. Good arm, good mobility, good mechanics, solid footwork, quick release, checks reads, accurate, improved year to year, statistically prolific his senior year (a strong NFL indicator).

The abstract aspect of my mind screams "bust." Low self confidence, lukewarm leadership, lacks that "winner" intangible. The Jets are not a soft landing spot, either. At least not right now. In some ways, you could almost argue that the Jets just drafted another Mark Sanchez.

I feel he's very difficult to predict. He's part RG3, part JaMarcus Russell. When he's on, he'll rip you to shreds, and it doesn't feel like a fluke when he's doing it. Yet at the same time my instincts say "bet your money elsewhere."

I think that's why Smith fell. He creates an intangible uneasiness when you evaluate him, a "we've seen this story before" type feeling. GMs lose their jobs, fairly or not, by busting on QBs in the first round, so you have to make sure that you are completely certain about the pick. Or very desperate.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Geno strikes me as emotionally fragile, and has an entourage. Both are traits that scare me. If he had gone to a stable system like New England, I would not project bust. But the Jets! He is screwed.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Right now I think he's a bust because none of these quarterbacks should have been drafted before the 3rd round. On top of that He went the Jets a team with no weapons and a coach that misunderstands offense couple that with what is being shown attitude wise and that his offense in college was pure spread it's really a recipe for disaster.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
^ Agreed. He might surprise; there are players that do every single year. There are plenty of flags to wonder about in regards to Geno Smith, though. Mark Sanchez, part deux?

nanomoz

Reaction score
If he'd gone to a team that could give him more time to develop--perhaps Denver, Philly (assuming Barkley didn't go there), Arizona--I'd feel better about his chances.

I worry about him in NY. As Kearly said, not the best landing spot. Smith seems like the kind of guy that could use time to grow into a leadership role, rather than having it dropped on him from day one. I'm reminded of David Carr a little bit. Tons of talent, not the best situation.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Evidently he's trying to hire a new agent to repair his reputation. I think this guy will be VY 2.0 and will have a meltdown soon.

OP
OP
aawolf

aawolf

Reaction score
I hope we can revisit this thread in mid-season to see if he's actually good. I think the chip on his shoulder will help him and falling as he did may have been the best thing for him. We'll see. His numbers won't be great, in my prediction, given the team he plays for didn't draft or sign enough playmakers on offense and o-line depth to help him too much. But, I'm on record saying he's going to be a franchise QB. Everyone else is on the record saying bust.

Beeker49

Reaction score
His ceiling is Vince Young at best. I personally think he'll flame out just as hard as JaLardass did.

razor150

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":2asgmb12 said:
First off, let me say I respect your opinion OP but I have to disagree with it.

To begin with, this sounds pretty familiar to the talk about Ryan Mallett.

Mallett, a good QB on the field (and white, btw), was rumored and accused by fans and the media of heavy drug use, a self-centered attitude, and questionable leadership.

Some proposed there was truth to these reports, but fans of his on the field talents quickly defended his reputation, suggesting it was media speculation and without proof. Turns out teams had the same causes of concern (or facts on the matter) as multiple teams passed on Mallett and he dropped into the 3rd round.

And now with Geno, it's the same fanboy, close-minded attitude in that the media is "speculating" to create news (no matter how much proof is given), and, oh yeah, thats play the "it's because he's black" argument, too (which makes no sense for this particular draft. In those same articles "speculating" that Smith fell because of his poor leadership skills, they "speculate" that EJ Manuel was selected so high, because of his leadership skills! See? How can that be if the media is unfairly portraying black QBs?)

I think the truth lies in how much we want to believe in the college prospects we've loved watching the past few years. We make excuses for our favorite players to protect them and our opinions instead of admitting that maybe the media (and teams) knows something we don't. Maybe we got it wrong.

This is a great example, Mallett when he came out was considered the most pro-ready QB in the draft and was a 1st round talent. He dropped because of rumored character issues. Nobody claimed racism when it was his him getting criticized and then dropping in the draft. What we really see here, with Cam Newton 2 years ago and Geno Smith this year, is that you can't criticize a black QB's character without being called a racist or someone screaming double standard. Newton has proven many of the criticisms he received correct, so in retrospect was it racism? No. It isn't racism now with Geno either.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2e98u3sv said:
If I were a GM and drafted a QB in the 1st round and he sat out, demanding to be traded, I'd be sorely tempted to make that petulant child sit for the full four years on the bench as a lesson.

I do not and never will agree with what Eli and Elway did.

spot on!!