Richard Sherman

Laloosh

Reaction score
RussellMania":24pgpk8i said:
I hope Sherman turns the volume up and talks twice as much trash this year. I'm LOVING all the negative attention to the Seahawks this year. The same kind of attention that Patriots have gotten for years. It means you must be doing something right because everyone wants to knock down whoever is on top.

Alternatively, it could just mean that someone is being a dumb ass...

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":15mh8ay2 said:
RussellMania":15mh8ay2 said:
I hope Sherman turns the volume up and talks twice as much trash this year. I'm LOVING all the negative attention to the Seahawks this year. The same kind of attention that Patriots have gotten for years. It means you must be doing something right because everyone wants to knock down whoever is on top.

Unlikely given Sherman went to Stanford and it shows. He knows exactly what he's doing and it can be verifiably backed up just to make it more fun. Relax and enjoy being on the side of greatness because it comes rarely.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Judging from everyone's responses etc. I'll go ahead and pass on even reading the article. Not even worth the effort.

MrCarey

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":34or1zx5 said:
Judging from everyone's responses etc. I'll go ahead and pass on even reading the article. Not even worth the effort.

Yeah, not even worth it. Just some Bears fan who doesn't like how Richard Sherman puts his money where his mouth is.

Fisherhawk

Reaction score
The guy writes his story like he would take Bears secondary over one with Sherman on it.Stupid.And yes,I'm stupid too,because I clicked on the link.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":3roxp7ap said:
razor150":3roxp7ap said:
He isn't entirely wrong though either. If you just looked at stats Sherman wasn't the best corner in football last year. I don't think I am the only one who thinks his antics off the field when it comes trying to get the respect he thinks he deserves is tiring. He doesn't need to be calling out other players publicly or getting into verbal spats with the media. It is just silly and doesn't help him in the slightest. He is a smart man, much smarter then me, all he needs to do is let his play speak for him.

Please don't talk this as criticism of his trash talk on the field, which I couldn't care less about. It is when he takes it off the field is when I tire of it.
What methodology are you using? Given the actual statistics say he's the number 1 CB in the NFL in 2012. What I say is ignorance is tiring and players without attitude boring. We tried that with Ruskell how'd that work out for you?

Yes, some of these posts reflect either lack of research, or are completely buying in to any negative takes by mainstream media. And that's especially surprising given the volume of reliable links and info available on this board alone. The fact that he was voted first team all pro should be a starting point that immediately puts him in the discussion of 'best.' SMH

hawker84

Reaction score
while i disagree with the article and the stats are misleading, i don't have a problem with the rest of it... I agree with him, talk all the smack you want on the field, but let your play do the talking off the field...

where his off field antics are exciting and fun for others, they are annoying and tiresome for the rest of us... doesn't make us any less a fan, just makes us fans with different views on how players should conduct themselves on and off the field..

If you play a professional sport , you should conduct yourself as a professional.. because you're not only representing your own brand, you're representing your fans, organization (Boss) and City/State.. not to mention endorsements, charitable organizations, community programs, etc.... this is not a game anymore, it's a business...

themunn

Reaction score
hawker84":256ogba6 said:
while i disagree with the article and the stats are misleading, i don't have a problem with the rest of it... I agree with him, talk all the smack you want on the field, but let your play do the talking off the field...

where his off field antics are exciting and fun for others, they are annoying and tiresome for the rest of us... doesn't make us any less a fan, just makes us fans with different views on how players should conduct themselves on and off the field..

If you play a professional sport , you should conduct yourself as a professional.. because you're not only representing your own brand, you're representing your fans, organization (Boss) and City/State.. not to mention endorsements, charitable organizations, community programs, etc.... this is not a game anymore, it's a business...

Utter nonsense. If a golfer or something acted as so then maybe I'd see your point, but can you imagine Ali without the trash talking? The nature of the profession he's in means trash-talk is not "unprofessional".

If he was going out and picking (actual) fights with people then maybe I'd agree. Simply saying "I'm the best, check the stats" and calling out people like Skip Bayless who actually insult people and not their play is not unprofessional coming from an NFL player.

hawker84

Reaction score
you're entitled to your opinion bud, i'm entitled to mine..

how is being a professional golfer like being a professional football player? of the two types of athelets you mentioned, i'd have less of a problem with a golfer doing this than i would an NFL player because a professional golfers represent only themselves and their endorsement deals.. not a franchise or city or fanbase for that matter.. your argument makes no sense to me..

Laloosh

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":2c36ixkp said:
E.C. Laloosh":2c36ixkp said:
RussellMania":2c36ixkp said:

Unlikely given Sherman went to Stanford and it shows. He knows exactly what he's doing and it can be verifiably backed up just to make it more fun. Relax and enjoy being on the side of greatness because it comes rarely.

I'm pretty relaxed. I'm also capable of coming to my own conclusions. Sherm's one of my favorites but he's stuck his foot in his mouth a few times. Luckily he's a very good football player. The downside is that I can't point my six year old son to certain interviews and say "hey, be like that guy".

Sherm doesn't have to be "my" ideal role model but I don't have to subscribe to the idea that he can say anything w/out looking like a dumb ass, do I?

Basis4day

Reaction score
It's hard to let your play on the field do the talking in the off-season. Maybe people should stop requesting interviews if they are sick of what he has to say.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Basis4day":3u37ws48 said:
It's hard to let your play on the field do the talking in the off-season. Maybe people should stop requesting interviews if they are sick of what he has to say.

Seriously? Everybody is so "with me or against me" around here...

CANHawk

Reaction score
RussellMania":2k2faskz said:

3qcnce

I kinda like being the bad guy. :twisted:

amill87

Reaction score
Honestly I don't know how anyone can think Sherman is a dumb ass. He has gone from a not talked about 5th round pick to being a house hold name and is all over the NFL. I'm pretty sure he has done exactly what he set out to do.

The worst thing he has done is the Skip Bayless thing. Even than that is something that 98% of the sports population have wanted to see since Bayless got on air. Adderall? NFL couldn't prove he actually did it so how can that be held against him? The totally taken out of context adderall interview? Tom Brady pic? A pic that a fan posted to Sherman's twitter and was "my team put their money where their mouth is" at Tom Brady's jab at the 12th man.

The guy hasn't done anything actually wrong. All he has done is come into the league and become the best corner the Hawks have ever had. He might even be approaching the best corner the league has seen since Deion. If he needs to run his mouth to reach that level of play, than so what? Until he actually hurts his team or goes and shoots someone at a club, who cares?

*edit to add*

As far as being a role model, I would be proud to tell my son to do what Sherman has done. He grew up in Compton, went to Stanford, got drafted into the NFL, become an All-pro in his first full season and is going to have one of the biggest contracts in the league. Seems like he is doing something right.

seaNOmercy

Reaction score
The best part is when the guy says that Sherman "isn't even the best cornerback in the NFC". As if there's some imaginary cornerback in the AFC that he couldn't compare to, so he's going to start and end all comparisons in the NFC. Nice little smoke and mirror tactic. Is he aware of the fact that both of the 1st team all-pro CBs last year hailed from the NFC and Champ Bailey was the only AFC representative on the 2nd team since Revis was out all year. Also, since when was forced fumbles a statistic that should be referred to when gauging the dominance of a cornerback? Doesn't the receiver first have to make the reception in order for the fumble to occur? Really stupid, especially considering he didn't include passes defended in his analysis. I also love the way he doesn't even attempt to disguise his obvious Chicago bias and only includes stats that would appear favorable to his favorite players.

themunn

Reaction score
hawker84":3s85c2l5 said:

how is being a professional golfer like being a professional football player? of the two types of athelets you mentioned, i'd have less of a problem with a golfer doing this than i would an NFL player because a professional golfers represent only themselves and their endorsement deals.. not a franchise or city or fanbase for that matter.. your argument makes no sense to me..

Because of the type of sport it is.
Hockey players fight each other in games (even though it's not actually a part of the sport) - they represent fans, cities, franchises etc but nobody bats an eyelid because it's that type of sport.

Can you imagine Rory McIlroy and Jason Day engaging in a bit of young fisticuffs on the 17th hole at the Open?
Of course not, because it's totally against the grain of the sport. An NFL cornerback talking a bit of trash is hardly even that. What exactly is the worst thing he has said? "I am the best cornerback. Check the facts".

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I'm pretty relaxed. I'm also capable of coming to my own conclusions. Sherm's one of my favorites but he's stuck his foot in his mouth a few times. Luckily he's a very good football player. The downside is that I can't point my six year old son to certain interviews and say "hey, be like that guy".

Sherm doesn't have to be "my" ideal role model but I don't have to subscribe to the idea that he can say anything w/out looking like a dumb ass, do I?
You have a right to your view just as I do. Personally I don't like choirboy athletes and in my opinion he's done nothing I wouldn't let my own children do but I can understand your opinion and accept it.

hawker84

Reaction score
themunn":3nid2j80 said:
hawker84":3nid2j80 said:

Because of the type of sport it is.
Hockey players fight each other in games (even though it's not actually a part of the sport) - they represent fans, cities, franchises etc but nobody bats an eyelid because it's that type of sport.

Can you imagine Rory McIlroy and Jason Day engaging in a bit of young fisticuffs on the 17th hole at the Open?
Of course not, because it's totally against the grain of the sport. An NFL cornerback talking a bit of trash is hardly even that. What exactly is the worst thing he has said? "I am the best cornerback. Check the facts".

respectfully agree to disagree then.

Laloosh

Reaction score
amill87":ockocqjh said:
Honestly I don't know how anyone can think Sherman is a dumb ass. He has gone from a not talked about 5th round pick to being a house hold name and is all over the NFL. I'm pretty sure he has done exactly what he set out to do.

As far as being a role model, I would be proud to tell my son to do what Sherman has done. He grew up in Compton, went to Stanford, got drafted into the NFL, become an All-pro in his first full season and is going to have one of the biggest contracts in the league. Seems like he is doing something right.

I can see the logic in this and agree with some of it. Successful, not a bad guy, great player... still acts like a dumb ass from time to time. I stand by my statement.

Pretty sure that I mentioned that he was one of my favorites. Just not someone I'd want my son to emulate were he ever in front of the camera.

KCHawkGirl":ockocqjh said:
You have a right to your view just as I do. Personally I don't like choirboy athletes and in my opinion he's done nothing I wouldn't let my own children do but I can understand your opinion and accept it.

Fair 'nuff :th2thumbs:

Edit: combined posts