Sir Alex annoynces he is retiring

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
McG":1l7g11uw said:
Peaches, give it a few years. Right now Man U are the best team in the Premier League. Liverpool are at the earliest 2-3 years away from being a legit top 3rd/4th contender and that's if the young players develop and they find a legit replacement for Stevie G. Chelsea is a revolving door at manager and has aging stars (which they will replace) and some great young mids, they will always be competitive. Arsenal is a joke, will always be 2nd best or 3rd/4th best for that matter. Their board will never allow them to keep enough top talent to be champions. Spurs are going to lose Bale after this year (unless they make the CL, even then he's probably out), which is basically saying they will lose about 10-15pts per season aka a team fighting for 5th or 6th. City is City, they have the money and will probably be at top of the League next year along with Man U and Chelsea with all others fighting for fourth. Even if Moyes completely screws up, Man U at worst is a team fighting for 2nd-4th.

Some decent points in there but Liverpool being at least 2-3 years from being a contender for 3rd or 4th? No. It's a big if, but if our youth improves and we can cut the dead weight (Downing, Allen, Assaidi) or at least repurpose them and get a couple of mid-tier transfer targets we will challenge for a top 4 spot starting this coming August. A lot of if's but I don't think its entirely pants on head crazy.

McG

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":2svijbtg said:
McG":2svijbtg said:
Peaches, give it a few years. Right now Man U are the best team in the Premier League. Liverpool are at the earliest 2-3 years away from being a legit top 3rd/4th contender and that's if the young players develop and they find a legit replacement for Stevie G. Chelsea is a revolving door at manager and has aging stars (which they will replace) and some great young mids, they will always be competitive. Arsenal is a joke, will always be 2nd best or 3rd/4th best for that matter. Their board will never allow them to keep enough top talent to be champions. Spurs are going to lose Bale after this year (unless they make the CL, even then he's probably out), which is basically saying they will lose about 10-15pts per season aka a team fighting for 5th or 6th. City is City, they have the money and will probably be at top of the League next year along with Man U and Chelsea with all others fighting for fourth. Even if Moyes completely screws up, Man U at worst is a team fighting for 2nd-4th.

Some decent points in there but Liverpool being at least 2-3 years from being a contender for 3rd or 4th? No. It's a big if, but if our youth improves and we can cut the dead weight (Downing, Allen, Assaidi) or at least repurpose them and get a couple of mid-tier transfer targets we will challenge for a top 4 spot starting this coming August. A lot of if's but I don't think its entirely pants on head crazy.

I agree, but what I'm working with is what we know now and what recent history has told us about all the teams, including Liverpool. I like Liverpool, their history is second to none (including Man U) regarding trophies. Their manager Rodgers is a guy that I really like after the "Being Liverpool" series. As it stands right now, their transfer budget is weak (they didn't even have enough at the deadline to pull 8mil on Dempsey) and if they sell a "big money" player like Suarez they wont get full value due to his B.S. past. What they do have is some great young talent, Countinho and Sturridge topping the list, then you have Allen, Carroll, Borini, Sterling, Henderson, Shelvey and maybe even Wisdom and Coates can develop as good defenders. The vets of the squad are pretty solid, but their captain is hanging on by a thread, (just had shoulder surgery) is 32 and will be 33 in 20 days. Without any transfers they have a pretty good squad and who knows what will happen in the summer, but I don't see them right now battle for anything other than the Europa League. After a few years of development this team, with the right transfers could be fighting for the Champions League.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MANUNITED23":3deyc2ar said:
Uncle Si":3deyc2ar said:
MANUNITED23":3deyc2ar said:
Fair enough.

you have to feel some sense of relief, no?

About what? If you're referring to Moyes appointment then yes.

I assumed Ferguson was no more than a couple years out from retiring. I imagine United fans did as well. So I guess the sense of relief is that its over and a good replacement was found easily.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
McG":2k7v03ub said:
InSuarezWeTrust":2k7v03ub said:
McG":2k7v03ub said:

I agree, but what I'm working with is what we know now and what recent history has told us about all the teams, including Liverpool. I like Liverpool, their history is second to none (including Man U) regarding trophies. Their manager Rodgers is a guy that I really like after the "Being Liverpool" series. As it stands right now, their transfer budget is weak (they didn't even have enough at the deadline to pull 8mil on Dempsey) and if they sell a "big money" player like Suarez they wont get full value due to his B.S. past. What they do have is some great young talent, Countinho and Sturridge topping the list, then you have Allen, Carroll, Borini, Sterling, Henderson, Shelvey and maybe even Wisdom and Coates can develop as good defenders. The vets of the squad are pretty solid, but their captain is hanging on by a thread, (just had shoulder surgery) is 32 and will be 33 in 20 days. Without any transfers they have a pretty good squad and who knows what will happen in the summer, but I don't see them right now battle for anything other than the Europa League. After a few years of development this team, with the right transfers could be fighting for the Champions League.

I think Liverpool are a lot closer to top 4 than 2-3 years. Honestly the way the team has responded from a disastrous start has been a relief (if anything) and they have been a top 3 team in terms of form on points since the start of December. They just need consistency throughout a season. I feel their core and foundation are stronger than Arsenal and Spurs.

I think your right about United (needing 2-3 years) but I imagine a bit more of drop from them initially. I dont see them challenging for a title next year. I think Ferguson is the first of a handful of fairly dramatic changes we will see. Those changes might all lead to a stronger club in the long term but i think the adjustment period will be too much to overcome in terms of a title challenge next year. As peaches alluded to, they need to be careful the adjustment period doesnt become and idling one that lasts say, 20 years.

Still, the departure of a name like Ferguson throws so much more drama into next season. Im looking forward to it.

HolyEffinMoses

Reaction score
I saw the news that Scholes is hanging it up after the season as well. I wonder how much Sir Alex's retirement played into that? Either way he had a hell of a career and I'm glad he's retiring at Man U instead of pulling a Beckham and just embarrassing himself into playing long past his ability to perform at a top level.

OP
OP
Subzero717

Subzero717

Reaction score
And the fact that Ronney being unhappy and demanding transfer confirmed as well.

Not that I'm all that but I'm suprised a few of the Futy fanatics didnt pick up the fact that I'm the one that started this thread.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2ajjsg9k said:
And the fact that Ronney being unhappy and demanding transfer confirmed as well.

Not that I'm all that but I'm suprised a few of the Futy fanatics didnt pick up the fact that I'm the one that started this thread.

Cali youre an inspiration.

Scholes retirement (for the 2nd time) i think was happening either way. The Rooney exit only helps United in my mind. i think hes run his course as an impact player in the PL and United will do well to replace him. RvP owns that high striker spot and Rooney just wasnt capable of staying fit and operating the #10 spot.

OP
OP
Subzero717

Subzero717

Reaction score
Uncle Si":wrzx1sqp said:
CALIHAWK1":wrzx1sqp said:

Cali youre an inspiration.

Scholes retirement (for the 2nd time) i think was happening either way. The Rooney exit only helps United in my mind. i think hes run his course as an impact player in the PL and United will do well to replace him. RvP owns that high striker spot and Rooney just wasnt capable of staying fit and operating the #10 spot.

Si I give MLS a hard time but I am a casual closet Man-U fan. I actually even caught the 09 winning of the Premiership at Old Trafford in 09. The DRAW against Arsenal. That was the best Man-U team for me anyway. That team is virtually complety dissolved.

Scholes gone. Giggs likely too. I think Rooneys time at Trafford have passed as well.