Favorite alternate college teams

kearly

Reaction score
Obviously, most of us have a college team we follow and root for. I'm a Huskies fan, JSeahawks is a Ducks fan, we've got plenty of Coug, Beavs, and USC fans too. So a question, other than your favorite team, are there any other teams out there you wish you were fans of or really like?

For me it's quickly becoming Texas A&M. It feels like every time I put on a prospect compilation from that school I end up being highly impressed. Last year they had Johnny Manziel, Christine Michael, Ryan Swope, Luke Joekel, Jake Mathews, DaMonster, and Mike Evans. The year before they had Ryan Tannehill, who was a damn good receiver before he was an intriguing QB. Not only do they have great players, but I really like the vibe down there. The superstars they had belied a team that was actually just SEC average overall talent-wise, giving them the underdog label last season.

I also really like Alabama, the only thing that holds me back is how they are basically the Miami Heat of college football. Too evil empire for my tastes. That said, Nick Saban might be the best football coach in the world, I seriously mean that. He knows how to identify and coach up talent much like Pete does, and both have that smooth talker / huckster side to them (which I like) and both brainwash their players into saying "compete" in every sentence. They are very similar coaches. It's extremely rare that I evaluate a player from Alabama these days who doesn't impress the heck out of me.

In the Pac-12, I like what Stanford is doing. We'll see if Shaw can keep it up, but the best teams always build from the trenches first and the Cardinal do it as well as anyone in college football. Not only is their offensive line arguably the most talented in college football, but their defensive front seven was probably the nastiest I'd seen in the conference since the Pete Carroll days at USC.

I also like South Carolina, Clemson, Georgia, West Virginia and Rutgers. Clemson is mostly because of Boyd. Rutgers have a lot of good players that slip under the radar. I've been a big backer of Steve Spurrier's SC project for a few years now. I love their physical brand of football. Georgia is a lot like Alabama, it's an NFL factory though if anything Georgia players have recently become over-rated. I still like watching them though because it feels like their entire starting roster will be playing on Sundays. West Virginia I'd mention if only because one of their fans, Dougitydog, makes the best highlight videos on the internet, including ones for Bruce Irvin and Tavon Austin, two players I really like.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
My 2nd favorite team has always been Florida State (actually they used to be my favorite). Originally I started liking them just because they had the coolest helmets (still do!) and their band played the coolest song (still do!). Loved them with Charlie Ward, Deion Sanders, Warrick Dunn, Peter Warrick and all those guys. They're still my 2nd favorite team to root for.

I also really like West Virginia, Clemson and Oklahoma State, just because I love the wide open, spread option college style of offense and those teams are entertaining to watch. I really like watching Texas A&M as well but they and Oregon seem to battle it out for a lot of recruits, so I cant really root for them.

In the Pac 12 I really love what Jim Mora is doing at UCLA. They're a couple years away from maybe being the dominant pac 12 team. Maybe even as early as this year. Especially their defensive recruiting is outstanding.

Lithium

Reaction score
I always say since there are so many college football teams you get to have 4 favorites.

1. WSU - Born into it.
2. Notre Dame - Fell in love with the all the history and tradition
3. Washington - I know its blasphemy to root for both washington teams but i dont care, I want this state to get a darn Championship.
4. Iowa - IDK just always liked them

cubbyhawkfan

Reaction score
My first love was Iowa due to my dad being a fan and getting me into them.Drew Tate was one of my favorite players for them and have love how Kirk Ferentz coaches.

My second team that I started following was Oregon cause my big brother and sister in law are Portland natives and love them.I started following them during the Jonathan Stewart years and really really wanted the Hawks to draft him.Love their style of play.

My other love is the Montana Griz which either your a griz or a cat fan in this state.Great atmosphere at games,always have some great talent that makes it onto nfl rosters,really like their style as well

Other teams that I root for to a point are Texas Longhorns(lived 2 years in east Texas), I like seeing lower sec teams like ole miss,miss st do well against the usual powers in that conference,now this will sound ridiculous but I root for Oregon St to a point just because I use to have a jersey(I think it was Steven Jackson's #)

Snohomie

Reaction score
Obviously I love the Ducks.

LSU is my #2 team, as I almost went to school there. Twice.

Soft spots for Florida, Michigan State, Texas, and North Carolina.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Schools i root for outside of UO are Florida St, Va Tech and Miss St( because their fans where the best when we played them).

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Well, I attended both UWs (Washington and Wisconsin). So both would qualify on that.

I would put LSU on that list too. I also like Alabama (pre Saban and Price, but even more when he came over from Baton Rouge) but it's a lot too bandwaggonish now. Although I did sit down and watch their spring game end to end just a week or so ago. So yeah I'd say those two have qualified.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Mine changes yearcto year based on players. LSU however has hung around due to the fact my cousin is a huge die hard Bama fan and LSU has hung around to compete. Plus I have plenty of purple laying around.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Alabama is my #1 football team (my Dad is from Alabama so I grew up rooting for them), Marquette is my #1 basketball team (they don't have a football team, so that made it easy). I'll generally root for WSU and Georgia (except when playing Bama). WSU is close to where I grew up and Georgia is where I did my grad school. My brother went to the Air Force Academy so I'll generally root for them but they don't factor into much. Having done my undergrad in the state of Wisconsin, I have some affinity for the Badgers too. If I were to rank them based on whom I would root for if they ever played each other, probably:

1. Bama
2. Georgia
3. Air Force
4. Wisconsin
5. Washington State

I could probably flip Wisconsin and WSU, but since I doubt WSU would ever win the game, might as well root for the winner. :)

And I'll generally root for every other SEC team to lose until Bowl season. Oh, and I guess since I live in Nebraska now I should care a little about the Huskers. But I don't.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Well my alma-mater for one (New Mexico) .. but they're so.. so .. so bad.

Also like Boise State, TCU, Alabama (always been a big Saban fan), and Oregon (even though I probably shouldn't due to being a USC die-hard)

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Neither of my parents went to school here in Washington so I didn't become a Husky until my tweens. I had a soft spot for Michigan and Florida State and I find myself rooting for them (my dad went to Michigan and so did my brother).

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":33lv1alo said:
My 2nd favorite team has always been Florida State (actually they used to be my favorite). Originally I started liking them just because they had the coolest helmets (still do!).............
Yes they do.

My fandom for D1 is Cougs first, Huskies second, Boise St. third, Oregon schools fourth, rest of the Pac-12 fifth, anyone west of the Mississippi sixth and anyone that is not the SEC or the U of Miami or Notre Dame after that.

Tical21

Reaction score
Favorite team is the Dawgs. My second favorite is whoever is playing the Ducks.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Tical21":kn6cfeq9 said:
Favorite team is the Dawgs. My second favorite is whoever is playing the Ducks.

So I guess you don't have much to cheer for then.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Virginia Tech.
Lambright gave Beamer his entire book of defense.

...And fans that go nuts on command are a huge bonus.

[youtube]S01N5PyPYfg[/youtube]

[youtube]blzftASduNc[/youtube]

Hawker

Reaction score
...still waiting on Mike Leach's WSU turnaround. As a die hard and former student of WSU, I hate to go on record saying this but my #2 favorite college football team to watch is the goddamn Huskies. After that I'd say Texas Tech and Boise State would round up my top-4. Much like hawksfansinceday1's post above, I suppose.

jhawk91

Reaction score
Besides the Ducks as my favorite, I'd have to go Wazzu #2 since I lived in Washington most my life and I've liked Bama for a while now to. My favorite Hawk went there and I really gained interest after reading a bio on Namath with his storys of Bear Bryant. Miami is in there to mostly after watching the 30 for 30 piece on them. I loved the cockiness and attitude they had. And they've produced a bunch of great players like Rey Lewis and Michael Irvin.