Drafts of Other NFC West Teams--What's your grade?

look@dafilm

Reaction score
RichNhansom":22ao9002 said:
I disagree, bad weather favors smash mouth teams and the weather in NE that night was the epitome of bad. NE has become a finesse timing football team. If you can disrupt their timing you neutralize them. The weather was a big factor in throwing off their timing and the fumbles were not your normal fumbles. They were not due to impact so much as the ball plain slipping out of their hands.

Would the outcome have been different if the weather was not as bad as it was? Maybe, maybe not but there is no question it was a factor and like I said, it was a factor that benefited a smash mouth style of football.

Did you miss the Patiorts with Moss and their super high-powered offense going apeshit on teams and winning in beatdowns like 50-10?

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Dude, don't give them any hints. It's much more interesting to see them try their little hearts out attempting to make themselves look like they know what they are talking about.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Anquan > Moss You hope
Nnamdi + Reid > Goldson You hope
Dawson > Akers You hope
Carradine > RJF You hope
Dorsey > Soap You hope

I will say that we got better regardless of the draft class.

LMAO, and I am the one that is dreaming? Wow, that is some serious homer BS right there. Apparently anyone can just walk into your system and learn your system and gain chemistry with the team in just a few minutes?

So I guess Jenkins is just being held back as a secret weapon?

Really, do you believe your own bull?

This is why Niner fans are known for their ignorance. You guys are like drones just regurgitating what someone else says. Your a complete moron if you think these are all just automatic upgrades. Your idiot douche coach doesn't even know how to get his depth playing time.

Reid and Caradine haven't even played a snap and Dorsey is once again being played out of position if he plays NT. Let them at least prove something (ANYTHING) at the NFL level before you crown them.

Last year all we heard was what a great acquisition moss was. Are you going to be as happy to replace Boldin as Moss? You guys were so pumped to be returning your entire defense and now your glad to see em go?

Put down the pipe.

look@dafilm

Reaction score
RichNhansom":o15bxqr9 said:
Anquan > Moss You hope
Dawson > Akers You hope
Carradine > RJF You hope
Dorsey > Soap You hope

LMAO, and I am the one that is dreaming? Wow, that is some serious homer BS right there. Apparently anyone can just walk into your system and learn your system and gain chemistry with the team in just a few minutes?

This is why Niner fans are known for their ignorance. You guys are like drones just regurgitating what someone else says. Your a complete moron if you think these are all just automatic upgrades. Your idiot douche coach doesn't even know how to get his depth playing time.

Reid and Caradine haven't even played a snap and Dorsey is once again being played out of position if he plays NT. Let them at least prove something (ANYTHING) at the NFL level before you crown them.

Last year all we heard was what a great acquisition moss was. Are you going to be as happy to replace Boldin as Moss? You guys were so pumped to be returning your entire defense and now your glad to see em go?

Put down the pipe.

wow, so personal attacks combined with irrelevant haterade. If you can't see how Dorseys run defense is better than Sopoaga's an how Boldin is unquestionably an upgrade over Moss and Dawson an unquestionable upgrade over Akers, thats on you.

lol, "you hope". So I guess you better "hope" that that Harvin and Avirl and all of Seattles picks ups are all upgrades too.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The whole Akers thing is very debatable. Yeah, he had a pretty bad streak, but he also tied the NFL all-time kick record at 63 yards early in the season, and booted some good long ones at the end, too. I think 49ers fans made him into a bit too much of a scapegoat, personally; but, meh.

In any case, look@dafilm, yes; we're hoping guys like Avril and Bennett have improved our pass rush. The fact that we were able to have such a dominating defense with a very mediocre pass rush is incredible, and even more incredible when you look at the performance of our secondary. Normally, the performance of any defense's secondary is closely linked to its ability to pressure the QB, but not ours. If we can improve our pass rush by a good margin, people might talk about the '13 Seahawks down the road instead of the '85 Bears. I said "if", so take it easy.

However, one thing that is not in dispute is Percy Harvin. He is a clear upgrade and would be for any team in the league; there's no "hope" in regard to him. He's a supremely dynamic player and still very young, and now he's got a real QB to throw him the pigskin.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Dorsey is once again being played out of position if he plays NT
I don't know about the other players but if the 49ers are counting on Dorsey to be anything but a waste they're going to be sorely disappointed.

Spokane

Reaction score
Like everyone has said, All NFC West teams got better and picked for need.

Hawks A+A+
Cards C+/B-
Rams B+/A-
Niners F/F-
Grades are based on a bell curve

Boldin is washed up. There is a reason why the ravens took a 6th for him, teams laughed at the 5th round offer.
He would have been a good pick up around 5 years ago, but now he is more :1:

Disp

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ih6hx47 said:
The whole Akers thing is very debatable. Yeah, he had a pretty bad streak, but he also tied the NFL all-time kick record at 63 yards early in the season, and booted some good long ones at the end, too. I think 49ers fans made him into a bit too much of a scapegoat, personally; but, meh.

It's actually not debatable whatsoever. He had the 2nd lowest FG % in the league behind only Mason Crosby, and was 2/7 from 40+ yards in the final 2 months of the season when the team needed him. He missed 3 field goals in the Rams games that cost the team victories in both, and missed another sub 40-yard field goal against the Falcons that could've cost them the game. I don't know what good long kicks you saw him make at the end, but I think everyone else missed them.

Akers was awesome in 2011 and a complete liability in 2012. He had an injury, so maybe he'll bounce back this following year, but pretending he was anything other than terrible this last year just because he made a 63 yard kick is pretty dishonest.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Spokane":184q2r0b said:

Hawks A+A+
Cards C+/B-
Rams B+/A-
Niners F/F-

Boldin is washed up. There is a reason why the ravens took a 6th for him, teams laughed at the 5th round offer.

So obviously don't know why they took a 6th for him though it was publicly explained.

hawker84

Reaction score
Spokane":qvg8o49y said:

Hawks A+A+
Cards C+/B-
Rams B+/A-
Niners F/F-

Hmmm.. Boldin's washed up? Ya not seeing that.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Disp":3or7bqp9 said:
Akers was awesome in 2011 and a complete liability in 2012. He had an injury, so maybe he'll bounce back this following year, but pretending he was anything other than terrible this last year just because he made a 63 yard kick is pretty dishonest.

He was tied for 28th in the league with - guess who - Seahawks kicker Steven Hauschka for field goal rating. Akers had a 69.0% hit percentage, Hauschka had 88.9% of his field goal attempts made. You know how they wound up with the same field goal rating? Most likely, poor special teams unit performance. They don't only penalize the kicker for things like blocked field goals, tipped balls, poor handling of the snap by the placeholder, etc.

Akers was #6 in the league for kickoff ranking by PFF, and he was injured. Akers returning to health, and your coaching staff working on special teams a bit for field goal attempts should result in Akers having a significantly better year in 2013, but most 49ers fans want him hanged because they see the dramatic misses. (Without a word about the offense not being able to do its job and get a TD or into better field goal range in the first place.)

I'm not saying he didn't have a rough year. I am saying that most 49ers fans are putting more blame on him than is warranted. Why not blame your beloved Coach Harbaugh for not replacing him due to his injury? Yeah, that's about what I thought.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawker84":22thuyht said:
Spokane":22thuyht said:

Hawks A+A+
Cards C+/B-
Rams B+/A-
Niners F/F-

Hmmm.. Boldin's washed up? Ya not seeing that.

Me either. If the 'hawks had gotten Boldin for a 6 I don't think I'd be seeing too many people here calling him washed up.

I like how he gave the Hawks an A+ and the Niners an F-.

Makes it easier to just discount anything he says later.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3mw202bi said:
Disp":3mw202bi said:

He was tied for 28th in the league with - guess who - Seahawks kicker Steven Hauschka for field goal rating. Akers had a 69.0% hit percentage, Hauschka had 88.9% of his field goal attempts made. You know how they wound up with the same field goal rating? Most likely, poor special teams unit performance. They don't only penalize the kicker for things like blocked field goals, tipped balls, poor handling of the snap by the placeholder, etc.

Akers was #6 in the league for kickoff ranking by PFF, and he was injured. Akers returning to health, and your coaching staff working on special teams a bit for field goal attempts should result in Akers having a significantly better year in 2013, but most 49ers fans want him hanged because they see the dramatic misses. (Without a word about the offense not being able to do its job and get a TD or into better field goal range in the first place.)

I'm not saying he didn't have a rough year. I am saying that most 49ers fans are putting more blame on him than is warranted. Why not blame your beloved Coach Harbaugh for not replacing him due to his injury? Yeah, that's about what I thought.

Missing two game winning FG in overtime (different games) vs the Rams will do that.

They did try to replace him with Billy Cundiff. He was worse. Kickers don't grow on trees.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Disp":37mzxh35 said:
RolandDeschain":37mzxh35 said:

It's actually not debatable whatsoever. He had the 2nd lowest FG % in the league behind only Mason Crosby, and was 2/7 from 40+ yards in the final 2 months of the season when the team needed him. He missed 3 field goals in the Rams games that cost the team victories in both, and missed another sub 40-yard field goal against the Falcons that could've cost them the game. I don't know what good long kicks you saw him make at the end, but I think everyone else missed them.

This.

Akers hit a 63 yard field goal in a game that wasn't close.

He MISSED 2 FG is separate games in overtime vs the Rams. Those 2 games alone are 2 wins and a 13-3 record.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3h51xret said:
Anquan > Moss You hope
Dawson > Akers You hope
Carradine > RJF You hope
Dorsey > Soap You hope

Put down the pipe.

Actually not. The problem Dorsey had in KC was that he was called upon to 2-gap over a center. Thats the way D-Linemen play in a classic 3-4.

He won't be called upon to do that in SF. SF runs a 3-4, but their D-Linemen play 1-gap and penetrate...similar to what he did at LSU. Also, while he wasn't the player people thought he would be coming out of school, he was NOT a bad player. He was very good against the run.

The Niners aren't expecting the player from LSU. They want the run stuffer who played in KC.

Don't believe me on Dorsey?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ty-chiefs/

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin and Disp, have you gone back and analyzed close-up footage of those attempts to make sure the holder was holding it steadily, at the preferred angle, etc. like PFF guys do to figure out how much fault goes towards the kicker on missed kicks?

I know you haven't, and neither have I; I'm just saying, kicking field goals depends on a lot more than just the kicker. Not trying to put Akers up on a pedestal, but I think you might be throwing him under the bus just a bit much.

*shrug*

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2dyosniq said:
Marvin and Disp, have you gone back and analyzed close-up footage of those attempts to make sure the holder was holding it steadily, at the preferred angle, etc. like PFF guys do to figure out how much fault goes towards the kicker on missed kicks?

I know you haven't, and neither have I; I'm just saying, kicking field goals depends on a lot more than just the kicker. Not trying to put Akers up on a pedestal, but I think you might be throwing him under the bus just a bit much.

*shrug*

Not really.

Jennings and Lee (longsnapper and holder) have been here forever. Both have been to the pro bowl. In fact Jennings is now the longest tenured 49er on the roster. Lee is a very good holder. This is the same pair that was there for Akers the year before.

While it isn't impossible that they had several bad exchanges...its highly unlikely.

Akers had surgery for a double sports hernia in the offseason. He had that 63 yarder in the first game, but he struggled all year and cost them a few games on missed kicks.

The Niners kept with him all year...even when he struggled. They signed Cundiff (so had 2 kickers on the roster) and stuck with Akers hoping he would be the guy he was in 2011. It just didn't happen. He even missed one in the Super Bowl and it was called back on a penalty.

Maybe he comes back from the injury and everything is fine, but I'd take my chances on Phil Dawson (AFC Pro Bowler) over seeing if Akers can get healthy...again.

Disp

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1en13bka said:

I guess I don't follow. A player who is rated 31/32 by ESPN and 28/32 by PFF is being scapegoated? You sure that doesn't mean they're legitimately playing terribly? I'm pretty sure even the Jaguars would be looking to upgrade someone rated 28'th in the league at their position. Not only that, but his misses typically came in close score games and late in the game. No one is debating Akers' kickoff ability; it's his field goal kicking.

I don't have a sub to PFF any more, so can't look at the stats and ratings they have. There's no way I'm going to spend the time diagnose how the ball is held on every field goal. I trust the Niners 13 year veteran who's been to the pro bowl a couple times as a long snapper and 10 year pro bowl holder/punter are getting the job done, and if you're going to throw variables like that into it then you have to do it for the rest of the league.

look@dafilm

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":1n35azhw said:
Dorsey is once again being played out of position if he plays NT
I don't know about the other players but if the 49ers are counting on Dorsey to be anything but a waste they're going to be sorely disappointed.

doubtful, as a poster already pointed out Dorsey may not have been a shining star in KC but he is a solid player. Very cheap pickup by Baalke that I expect to pay its dividends. The signing I truly don't get is Dahl. Maybe he was insurance in case they didn't get their guy in the draft but still, not seeing that one working out very well. he signed super cheap though