NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Throwdown":1izflb1g said:
TheRealDTM":1izflb1g said:
Well, we may be done with basketball for a while. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... ba-future/

Lmaooooo Aaron Bruski is the go to guy here? The Sac medias been on a bashing rampage since HBN made their move.
Bruski should take off his purple colored glasses. He's such a hack who has plenty vested in Sac. He's completely biased and he works for the same company that employs Mike Floria...after connected the dots I've come to the conclusion Bruski does't have legit sources and he hears what he wants to hear. He's a joke.

dunceface

Reaction score
There is going to be plenty of this rhetoric before we actually get a real answer from the league...prepare yourselves

Throwdown

Reaction score
Thing about it is, Microsoft is a huge corporate sponsor to the NBA, do you honestly think anyone in the NBA would bad mouth Ballmer like that? Someone get this clown back flipping burgers where he belongs.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Throwdown":1474dpea said:
Thing about it is, Microsoft is a huge corporate sponsor to the NBA, do you honestly think anyone in the NBA would bad mouth Ballmer like that? Someone get this clown back flipping burgers where he belongs.

Honestly, bruski doesn't even seemed qualified to do that...

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Ignore everything Aaron Bruski says. The dude is basically KJ and Think Big's mouth piece. He makes himself look a fool on a constant basis. He's been called out by respected national writers time and again. Dude makes internet bloggers look bad. And that's saying something.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Have you guys seen this? Guess Mitch was talking bout this today on the radio:

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 1h
To be clear: I believe the Hansen/Ballmer group increased the relo fee offer after lots of conversations they had w/ owners around the NBA.

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 1h
Just want to distinguish b/w "other owners" and the "league office". If I said otherwise on the air, I mispoke. (not sure I did)

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 47m
My overall point is that the Ballmer/Hansen group is now being portrayed as rebels who are doing everything on their own and...

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 46m
...pulling an "end around" on the league. This is spin and propaganda and untrue. Until this 20% backup plan, they have included...

mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch 46m
...league office and other owners every step of the way.

Potentially big if this is true. Would mean there's at least some owners who aren't exactly seeing eye to eye with Stern.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Maybe the league told them do this whole 20% deal thingy to shut Ranadive's group out because they were just out here playing with money and that they really don't have the means to be productive owners of a franchise?

I'm just doing some hopeful hypothesizing.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Would anyone be shocked if the BOG approves the 65% and denies the relocation? Give Hansen one year of "good faith effort" to let Sac get their arena done. And then in one year when the arena is nowhere to be found, NBA let's Hansen take the Kings to Seattle?

SeaTown81

Reaction score
I don't know if I'd be shocked. But I don't see it happening. Then again, nothing the league does is predictable.

The NBA (read Stern) seems prepared to vote down relocation, while being hesitant on even voting on the sale. I'm curious what would happen if they denied relocation, only to put off a vote on the sale, then eventually voted on it down the road and accepted HBN. What then? Would they be allowed to hold another relocation vote? Or would they be stuck in Sac for at least a year?

Throwdown

Reaction score
I think that'd be horrible to do to Hansen, personally. The NBA would make them bleed that one season there? After throwing all the loot they have to just aquire the team? The fans aren't going to show up at that point, the Sleep Train Arena, Arco Arena whatever the hell the name is on that arena is a black hole. It'd be pointless to give him the team and let him bleed one season in Sacramento.

Teams gotta come to Seattle at that point so they can have a chance recoup even just a little bit of the money they've spent. They'll never fully recover what they will have spent, it doesn't make sense to pull a "good faith effort"

SeaTown81

Reaction score
So I didn't listen to Mitch on the radio today. Just read those tweets. From reading over on Sonics Rising, it sounds like Mitch was mainly defending HBN against the attacks of certain media calling them out for going around the league. Saying that they have only been doing what they were told to do. Apparently he went on to say that if there is an unanimous relocation denial, to not believe it, because he knows for certain that there are owners in favor. Then went on to say that he expects it to still lose. So I guess his tweets weren't any reason to up our optimism any.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
SeaTown81":2ah4e70t said:
So I didn't listen to Mitch on the radio today. Just read those tweets. From reading over on Sonics Rising, it sounds like Mitch was mainly defending HBN against the attacks of certain media calling them out for going around the league. Saying that they have only been doing what they were told to do. Apparently he went on to say that if there is an unanimous relocation denial, to not believe it, because he knows for certain that there are owners in favor. Then went on to say that he expects it to still lose. So I guess his tweets weren't any reason to up our optimism any.
Yep what I got from it there is some major behind the scenes stuff going on that he either couldn't share or that wasn't even shared with him.

There's no way business guys as successful as Hansen, Ballmer and the Nordstroms are going to be making any of the moves they are without some sort of inside knowledge that they are doing good. I fully believe that HBN are getting coached up by either a select group of owners or someone in the league office. They aren't just willy-nilly throwing crap against the wall hoping it sticks. They are making calculated moves and there's a reason for what they are doing.

My hopes are still up because HBN are just that good. Maybe this has nothing to do with the Kings, maybe they are forcing the expansion route. Or this could be gaining more for an antitrust lawsuit. But these guys aren't going in there headfirst and blind.

amill87

Reaction score
For the sake of discussion,

Is there anything the NBA really has against the Maloof's that they could use in an anti-trust lawsuit? Outside of "best interest" clause, what card does the NBA really have? They can't say the Maloof's don't have the money to operate when the Hanson group would become a 20% owner.

Also the whole unanimous but not really unanimous recommendation can't look good in court. I'm no lawyer but that clearly looks like the league throwing it's weight around.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
This the way I see it playing out:

1. The vote is just should Sacramento keep its franchise in Sacramento. The Seattle group is allowed to keep buy the 20% stake in the team and agreement made that they can move the team and buy out other share holders if the Sacramento deal falls apart

2. If option 1 fails, they get an expansion team. The new TV deal is coming up and they want/need the Seattle market. The recent ratings are horrid for the current series. As pointed out MSFT is a big advertiser and I suspect they will pull out of deals with the NBA.

3. If all else fails ( which I cannot see happening) they will litigate. When the Pilots moved Seattle threatened to sue and even with special exemptions in anti trust law they did want to take a chance. MLB then gave us the Mariners. I don't really see this as happening, as it is a lose/lose proposition for the NBA.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
News is circulating by Jerry brewer that if/when the BOG rejects relocation that nullifies the need to vote on the purchase. The news today has not been good for us.

amill87

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2uiiy7fj said:
News is circulating by Jerry brewer that if/when the BOG rejects relocation that nullifies the need to vote on the purchase. The news today has not been good for us.

Not sure I'm following you here....if they deny relocation, how does that automatically mean the Maloof's have to sell to the Sac group?

Status
Not open for further replies.