Richard Sherman

Throwdown

Reaction score
-The Glove-":163zo1y5 said:
Tical21":163zo1y5 said:
My second favorite Seahawk on the field besides Lynch. But Sherman is a punk. It was cute at first. The stupid clapping and taunting. Calling Tom Brady out, the Trent Williams thing, and of course the Skip Bayless thing, the Revis tape, etc. Just a punk. I'm over it. I'll watch and cheer as loudly as anybody, but when he opens his mouth I am no longer paying attention. It is embarrassing. That punk represents our team, fanbase, and city.

Tom Brady called out the entire team and all the fans in the Clink.

Trent Williams was an unprovoked attack after a tough game where Sherman was shaking hands and talking to a guy that earlier called him a "cheater".

Skip Bayless is Skip Bayless. Who hasn't wanted to verbally slap him upside his head.

The Revis thing was blown out of proportion, IMO, by Revis, himself. He didn't go after Sherman until the interview where Sherm said that Revis can't be considered the best RIGHT NOW, because he's injured and didn't play the whole season. When he comes back healthy, he"s definitely in the discussion. That's a compliment, not a jab or anything like that.

Thats how I see it.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
This conversation is pointless. You are literally arguing over someone's personality and your individual subjective reactions. Some people like Sherman, some don't... just like every person ever.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tical21":2qwfywgk said:
Don't even start to compare Sherm to the glove. Talking trash during the game to get in a players head is one thing. The intent is to disrupt and get a player or team off of their game. It was a huge part of my game personally as well. But there is a huge difference between trash talking and taunting. Sherman's antics are more TO than they are Payton/Jordan/Sanders. It is bush and, frankly, embarrassing.
Hyperbole anyone? We get it, you're over 60 and I'm not. Guess what? Our sensibilities are different so deal with it and understand you're in the minority. It happens you know? People age so I don't fault you that you dislike Sherman and don't understand his mindset or the total mind games he's using against his competition. To full effect I might add.:)

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Tical21":3ansexx6 said:
Don't even start to compare Sherm to the glove. Talking trash during the game to get in a players head is one thing. The intent is to disrupt and get a player or team off of their game. It was a huge part of my game personally as well. But there is a huge difference between trash talking and taunting. Sherman's antics are more TO than they are Payton/Jordan/Sanders. It is bush and, frankly, embarrassing.
I didn't start anything. Plenty of people have been comparing the two and I agree with them.

Tical21

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":3g52x8wf said:
Tical21":3g52x8wf said:
Hyperbole anyone? We get it, you're over 60 and I'm not. Guess what? Our sensibilities are different so deal with it and understand you're in the minority. It happens you know? People age so I don't fault you that you dislike Sherman and don't understand his mindset or the total mind games he's using against his competition. To full effect I might add.:)
Haha what a sad state when a post about class elicits this response.

I love the ignorance. "I'm young, therefore I'm not expected to act with or understand the concept of class, leave that for you old folks. Deal with it!" Our future is in good hands.

FWIW I'm nowhere close to old. I just choose to carry myself with class, and would prefer that those that represent our city do the same.

I completely understand his mindset. I have competed at high levels, recently I might add. I am a marginal athlete that used my brain and mind games to get me most of the success I was able to have. Yet, I maintained respect for competition and those I competed against.

The real issue is, is that this is growing. We would like to think he is going to start acting with more maturity, but how many of us believe that he will? At this pace, this is going to become a problem that effects our team. And when these kinds of things effect your team, they tend to come to a head at precisely the wrong time.

Talk your trash, get your edge. But there is a line between getting an edge, and acting immature and becoming an embarrassment.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Why do you care so much about how much smack a football player talks? Especially one who backs it up? Seems like a lot of wasted energy. Is he doing something to you personally? Did he steal your lunch money or something? Is he some criminal that's out there getting arrested like a huge portion of the league? NO
He's having some fun. :roll:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ceg7iay said:
Why do you care so much about how much smack a football player talks? Especially one who backs it up? Seems like a lot of wasted energy. Is he doing something to you personally? Did he steal your lunch money or something? Is he some criminal that's out there getting arrested like a huge portion of the league? NO
It's called being OLD in mind/spirit and not understanding that talking smack while backing it up combined with being a graduate from a school few can even dream to enter and being a real and solid citizen IRL is beyond his comprehension. Long story short he doesn't understand or accept the mindset of people under 30.

Keep on preaching I am sure any 49er fan will support his tripe along with Ruskell and Mora...since it seems he has issues with actual dirtbags on the field that are real people in for real world life.

His attitude is exactly like my foster father. It took him to reach 70 or so to start taking sense and actually figure out that it's okay to accept people having fun is ok.

The irony of this is that he thinks I am young. Ask Les I am far older then he assumes and we all know what assumption means......

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":2f34tiy1 said:
SoulfishHawk":2f34tiy1 said:
It's called being OLD in mind/spirit and not understanding that talking smack while backing it up combined with being a graduate from a school few can even dream to enter and being a real and solid citizen IRL is beyond his comprehension. Long story short he doesn't understand or accept the mindset of people under 30.

Keep on preaching I am sure any 49er fan will support his tripe along with Ruskell and Mora...since it seems he has issues with actual dirtbags on the field that are real people in for real world life.

His attitude is exactly like my foster father. It took him to reach 70 or so to start taking sense and actually figure out that it's okay to accept people having fun is ok.

The irony of this is that he thinks I am young. Ask Les I am far older then he assumes and we all know what assumption means......

The world according to Tcal. In statistics that would be categorized as an outlier. :grin:

hawker84

Reaction score
Hyperbole anyone? We get it, you're over 60 and I'm not. Guess what? Our sensibilities are different so deal with it and understand you're in the minority. It happens you know? People age so I don't fault you that you dislike Sherman and don't understand his mindset or the total mind games he's using against his competition. To full effect I might add.

I'm not 60 either i'm not even close to 50 and i don't understand this logic at all.. I played organized sports my entire youth up through college, not too long ago, and i talked smack from time to time.. i get it , it's part of sports, but i stand by my statement, there's a classy way to do it , and there's a not so classy way not to do it.. There's a time for it, and there's a time to keep your mouth shut... To think that being a certain age prevents you from understanding the difference or someone can't comprehend Shermans mindset is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard... And personally i don't understand why you and others assume just because we don't approve of some of his off field situations doesn't mean we don't like the guy.. We just feel he could tone it down a bit... He's still a seahawk, and we're still fans... So please just stop with this nonsense..

BlueTalons

Reaction score
Tical21":1sexkb51 said:
Gary did do some of his talk off the court. IMHO, Gary did not have as big a stage that is there today with dozens of sports shows, the Internet, and social media. The other thing about "trash talking"...the media LOVES it! It gives them something to talk about.

(On a side note, I found this quote funny from this NBA article:)
In Seattle, Gary Payton was in perpetual danger of suffering a sprained jaw and larynx, sometimes jabbering even as he drove to the basket. Payton was so verbally inclined that he even trashed his own teammates, referring, for instance, to Sonics center Ervin Johnson as "Tragic Johnson."
I don't think Sherm would ever trash a teammate.

Subzero717

Reaction score
BlueTalons":1dj84idg said:
Tical21":1dj84idg said:
Gary did do some of his talk off the court. IMHO, Gary did not have as big a stage that is there today with dozens of sports shows, the Internet, and social media. The other thing about "trash talking"...the media LOVES it! It gives them something to talk about.

In Seattle, Gary Payton was in perpetual danger of suffering a sprained jaw and larynx, sometimes jabbering even as he drove to the basket. Payton was so verbally inclined that he even trashed his own teammates, referring, for instance, to Sonics center Ervin Johnson as "Tragic Johnson."

He trashed Kam.

McGruff

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":347gusc9 said:
BlueTalons":347gusc9 said:
Tical21":347gusc9 said:

He trashed Kam.

Overstatement.

Sherman has fun with it. That's all it is, and most players understand this and respond in kind. The only people getting offended at this are latte-sipping, pot smoking fans who think the player represent them. They don't.

Sherman has overstepped the line at times. The Bayless thing wasn't funny or entertaining. Beyond that, he's being Sherman, and his mouth does disrupt opponents more than it distracts teammates, even when it's done off the field. Don't think for one second that the next time we play Atlanta that Roddy White isn't going to be focusing as much on Sherman as he is the game plan. It happens and whe it does, it works to our advantage.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawker84":36vg5nbh said:
Hyperbole anyone? We get it, you're over 60 and I'm not. Guess what? Our sensibilities are different so deal with it and understand you're in the minority. It happens you know? People age so I don't fault you that you dislike Sherman and don't understand his mindset or the total mind games he's using against his competition. To full effect I might add.

I'm not 60 either i'm not even close to 50 and i don't understand this logic at all.. I played organized sports my entire youth up through college, not too long ago, and i talked smack from time to time.. i get it , it's part of sports, but i stand by my statement, there's a classy way to do it , and there's a not so classy way not to do it.. There's a time for it, and there's a time to keep your mouth shut... To think that being a certain age prevents you from understanding the difference or someone can't comprehend Shermans mindset is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard... And personally i don't understand why you and others assume just because we don't approve of some of his off field situations doesn't mean we don't like the guy.. We just feel he could tone it down a bit... He's still a seahawk, and we're still fans... So please just stop with this nonsense..
Wasn't really directed to you.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
McGruff":2obynddt said:
Sherman has fun with it. That's all it is, and most players understand this and respond in kind. The only people getting offended at this are latte-sipping, pot smoking fans who think the player represent them. They don't.

Latte zps28983437

Hawknballs

Reaction score
All this over what really?

So far the only egregious 'trash talk' sherman has done IMO was the skip bayless thing and who cares about skip bayless.

Most of what everyone else calls 'trash talk' from sherman isn't. (Hint: calling yourself optimus prime to calvin johson's megatron isn't trash talk)

Sherman is all over the place, thanks to his own self-marketing. He's the most prevalent narrator on the top 100 show, makes constant appearances on NFL network, and accomplished this all by putting himself out there while at the same time playing like an all-pro in the league.

He's not an idiot, he knows exactly what he's doing.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
BlueTalons":1ouggngu said:
Tical21":1ouggngu said:

Lol. That's hilarious! Tragic Johnson? Haha

Shock2k

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2pvwdfw7 said:
All this over what really?

So far the only egregious 'trash talk' sherman has done IMO was the skip bayless thing and who cares about skip bayless.

Most of what everyone else calls 'trash talk' from sherman isn't. (Hint: calling yourself optimus prime to calvin johson's megatron isn't trash talk)

Sherman is all over the place, thanks to his own self-marketing. He's the most prevalent narrator on the top 100 show, makes constant appearances on NFL network, and accomplished this all by putting himself out there while at the same time playing like an all-pro in the league.

He's not an idiot, he knows exactly what he's doing.

To add to that, he doesn't really talk bad about other players (except maybe Tom Brady, "You're just a man, we are a team!"). He's said good things about Julio Jones and Calvin Johnson. I'm with him, people start stuff with him, and he finishes it. He gets all the respect in the world from me.

By the way, on one of the NFL AM interviews he said he wants to be known more as an "All-Pro" then a "Talker" so he was going to tone it down. And since then, I haven't seen him saying anything inflammatory. Though I'm sure that will change slightly when the season begins.