NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Blitzer88":19f6y3qc said:
News is circulating by Jerry brewer that if/when the BOG rejects relocation that nullifies the need to vote on the purchase. The news today has not been good for us.
Not really, he's repeating what has been rumored coming from Sacramento. Everything I've read is that Hansen is fully pushing for official ownership vote. A maximum of three votes to take place: 65%, 7% and then if no on the 65% then the 20% backup offer.

Also KJ just held an impromptu PC and was asked if 100% of the Sac bid was in escrow and he said "make an assumption on your own" which means no.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Apparently KJ said the NBA wanted 50% in escrow which is what they did...they still haven't been able to come up with the "ballpark" 34 offer. This is a complete joke and the NBA looks foolish right now

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Throwdown":nkfddp5z said:
Color me confused, do those bozos have it in or not?
Sounds like it's taken them months to only put 50% of whatever their actual bid is (which I don't believe is $341 mil because Stern said it was "in the ballpark")

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":d8d76e9a said:
Throwdown":d8d76e9a said:
TheRealDTM":d8d76e9a said:
Well, we may be done with basketball for a while. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... ba-future/

Lmaooooo Aaron Bruski is the go to guy here? The Sac medias been on a bashing rampage since HBN made their move.
Bruski should take off his purple colored glasses. He's such a hack who has plenty vested in Sac. He's completely biased and he works for the same company that employs Mike Floria...after connected the dots I've come to the conclusion Bruski does't have legit sources and he hears what he wants to hear. He's a joke.
Anonymous league sources? What's that, the towel boy?

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1acmdv0q said:
SeaTown81":1acmdv0q said:
So I didn't listen to Mitch on the radio today. Just read those tweets. From reading over on Sonics Rising, it sounds like Mitch was mainly defending HBN against the attacks of certain media calling them out for going around the league. Saying that they have only been doing what they were told to do. Apparently he went on to say that if there is an unanimous relocation denial, to not believe it, because he knows for certain that there are owners in favor. Then went on to say that he expects it to still lose. So I guess his tweets weren't any reason to up our optimism any.
Yep what I got from it there is some major behind the scenes stuff going on that he either couldn't share or that wasn't even shared with him.

There's no way business guys as successful as Hansen, Ballmer and the Nordstroms are going to be making any of the moves they are without some sort of inside knowledge that they are doing good. I fully believe that HBN are getting coached up by either a select group of owners or someone in the league office. They aren't just willy-nilly throwing crap against the wall hoping it sticks. They are making calculated moves and there's a reason for what they are doing.

My hopes are still up because HBN are just that good. Maybe this has nothing to do with the Kings, maybe they are forcing the expansion route. Or this could be gaining more for an antitrust lawsuit. But these guys aren't going in there headfirst and blind.

It's for any one of those three - HBN are ready to move in any direction. It will be the NBA who decides which.

vedthree

Reaction score
IMO, the juiciest little nugget of info that's leaked this week is that the NBA has started early talks about the TV deal, and plans to start up informal talks with the networks this Summer, after the Finals. I'm hopeful that's an indication that the NBA/Stern is trying to solve this the only logical way: Expansion. Convincing the Owners they'll still be getting a significant jump in TV revenues even after a 31st seat is added to the table is the main roadblock, and hopefully the early ballpark #'s floated for the deal will show them that they will.

I've always wanted this to end with an Expansion team for us, even if that means waiting an extra season before they start play. IMO, it's just "cleaner" that way. Don't get me wrong, I'll gladly take the Kings if that's the way the NBA wants to play it ... but I do feel bad for their fans. Unfortunately, that's why the NBA is able to get away with this shit - it turns into fan vs. fan, when both groups are ultimately powerless.

tdlabrie

Reaction score
There's something I just don't understand. Y'all are talking about how strong, or not, an anti-trust case would be. Seems to me I've read that "Hansen is not interested in pursuing a legal course of action."

So is this true? Is this smoke? Is this poker playing? Because if sale and relocation are both denied and he doesn't want to go to court, aren't we sunk?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I've heard that Balmer can't wait to go NUCLEAR if they are rejected,
Of course they'd rather get the team, without lawsuits but IMHO FWIW, the only way we are getting the Sonics back and the NHL here is to start an anti-trust lawsuit after the NBA continues their jackass circus!

CANHawk

Reaction score
I've just been reading some of the latest news stories on the subject and the hypocracy is really pissing me off. HBN group is totally being painted as this evil heartless mob of billionaires hellbent on stealing away a beloved franchise from some loveable little town that didn't do anything wrong. But isn't this the exact same god damn thing that bastards like Clay Bennett and Michael Heisley did to Seattle and Vancouver, only to have the league and media go "shrug, it's only Seattle/Vancouver". Sports Illustrated already had a Kevin Johnson victory piece in the last issue.

Where was all this support and love for the home team when the PNW was having it's B-Ball teams ripped away in an equally heartless manner in the middle of the night? Shit, at least HBN are being up front with their intentions. I still remember that shit head Michael Heisley telling us how the Grizz were safe in Vancouver and how dedicated he was to keeping them where they were. Shit, that bastard even stood at center court and sang the Canadian National anthem for crap sake, only to move the team a few months later in the middle of the night. Oh Stern was all opposed to that relocation too, but he did dick all to stop it. So why all the opposition now? Why all this sudden love an affection for the mid size market teams as the backbone of the NBA? Bullshit...

I don't care if the Seattle guys play dirty. The PNW has been screwed over twice now by the NBA while trying to "play nice". Screw that. Cheat, bully, lie, slash tires, break knee caps, kidnap and ransome... I don't care anymore. Just get it done, by any means necessary. There's a power shift happening now and the PNW is an economic force capable of supporting world class sports franchises. I'm glad we have some bad asses advocating for the people of Seattle (and people who get Seattle TV stations and like to visit Seattle for the purpose of attending sporting events).

/rant.

Pstark3

Reaction score
Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 42m
Two Sacramento Attorneys have just filed suit alleging fraud and illegal use of public funds in #Sacramento Arena project

Pstark3

Reaction score
@BMayNews10: I asked George, if BoG votes down 65%, wouldn't they also vote down 20%. "I can sell to whoever I want to."

Tensions getting pretty high

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I want this to get muddy, it's beyond just getting the Sonics back, it's personal. Anyway that smears Stern and makes him looks like more of a disgrace to professional sports the better for me. This episode along with the Sonics original relocation in addition to the ref gambling scandal a few years ago(Yeah, only one guy involved I'm sure - end sarcasm) should rightfully be an albatross around Stern's neck.

HansGruber

Reaction score
tdlabrie":34kwvwzv said:
There's something I just don't understand. Y'all are talking about how strong, or not, an anti-trust case would be. Seems to me I've read that "Hansen is not interested in pursuing a legal course of action."

So is this true? Is this smoke? Is this poker playing? Because if sale and relocation are both denied and he doesn't want to go to court, aren't we sunk?

Nope. But the NBA would sure love for you (and the Hansen and Maloof groups) to believe that.

The Seattle group isn't going to back down. They believe the sale will be approved and there is a rumor that they have heard from enough owners to support this theory. Hansen's group is hoping the owners will approve the sale or offer expansion so they don't have to go to court.

Don't listen to the media. They're the least knowledgeable of anyone when it comes to what's happening and what will happen in the future. In fact, much of what you're hearing is just propaganda coming straight from the NBA offices. Or it's just pure conjecture.

I've heard ridiculous reports that the Maloofs can't sue and could be forced to sell. Both points are blatantly false and such a statement shows a complete ignorance of the law. The NBA could move for dismissal of an antitrust suit based on any number of reasons, but whether that case is dismissed or not is up to the judge hearing the motion - and nobody knows how that would turn out because it's up to the judge, not the NBA. It's just as likely (if not more likely) that a judge would allow the case to continue. And even if the suit was dismissed, it could be appealed all the way up to the Supreme Court, just like what happened in the American Needle case.

I've also heard in the media that the owners are annoyed with Ballmer. How would anyone know that? And why would any owner be annoyed with Ballmer? The NBA might be annoyed with Ballmer and that would make sense, but the other owners?

The owners don't care about NBA politics. They are businessmen and their own business interests come first. Anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it. Ultimately, the owners will vote for whatever they feel will be best for their own interests. And it's hard to argue against the immediate boost in value that all NBA teams will experience if they approve a sale of the Kings for $625 million. If the Kings are worth that, what does that do for the top 16 markets? You're talking about hundreds of millions here.

So don't get too up or down based on what you're hearing here, in the media, or anywhere else. If you really want to feel better, just take peace knowing that the Seattle group is going to put up one hell of a fight and has no plans to back down. And that the Hansen group believes they have enough owner support to win a vote on the sale (based on what they have heard directly from the other owners).

Status
Not open for further replies.