Why a roof, Minnesota?

OkieHawk

Reaction score
The Radish":1md33xzv said:
Its not to keep the weather out,,,its to keep those people in.

:roll:

What do you mean, "those people"? Are you letting your racism show in your old age Les? :twisted:

The Radish

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1zl2bi27 said:
The Radish":1zl2bi27 said:
Its not to keep the weather out,,,its to keep those people in.

:roll:

What do you mean, "those people"? Are you letting your racism show in your old age Les? :twisted:

My wife is from Minnesota as good a reason as any to suspect them of abborant behavior.

:les:

OkieHawk

Reaction score
The Radish":b9megk7v said:
My wife is from Minnesota as good a reason as any to suspect them of abborant behavior.

:les:

I can agree with you there. Hearing about the latest from my in-laws up there usually has me grateful we are 14 hours away.

ivotuk

Reaction score
That thing is ugly. Looks like an old wall tent with bent poles. "Clear is the new retractable" Huh? Glass makes it harder to heat, higher maintenance and what if a panel falls on the audience, or field?

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Sinc that team is t used to playing in the elements at home now, I wouldn't call it a home field advantage having to start.

Pretty sick ass looking stadium actually!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
But I like that they're trading in their HFA for money like Dallas and San Francisco. Now if we could get Denver and Kansas City to play in domes we're solid.:)

Both have serious outdoor fanbases/stadiums just like us.

:)

JesterHawk

Reaction score
That picture is unrealistic. There should be a LOT more Packer's jerseys present.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The Vikings wanted an open-air stadium. The roof was a requirement from the city & state to get public funding. They want to be able to use the stadium year-round for all kinds of events.

Team owners initially preferred an open-air stadium to return to the franchise's cold-weather roots at suburban Metropolitan Stadium, where the Vikings played - and sometimes froze - from 1961 to 1981.
But the only way to get public help in paying for the project was to enclose it, ensuring the ability to host other sports and events. The Vikings have submitted a bid to host a future Super Bowl, and local leaders have envisioned hosting NCAA basketball tournament games, big-name concerts and the like.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Thanks for that, Jay.

Still doesn't exclude them from being negligent in a football sense. A retractable roof should've been pushed by Ziggy.

What's really odd is the Twins play exclusively outdoors now. I SO want the Twins to make a World Series for that reason alone. I want to see MLB deal with October baseball in the Tiwn City's area.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
pehawk":22bgyjf5 said:
What's really odd is the Twins play exclusively outdoors now. I SO want the Twins to make a World Series for that reason alone. I want to see MLB deal with October baseball in the Tiwn City's area.

Why? October Minneapolis weather is in the 50s without snow; hardly similar to the "frozen tundra" of a Green Bay playoff game.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":9pfqqh5u said:
pehawk":9pfqqh5u said:

Why? October Minneapolis weather is in the 50s without snow; hardly similar to the "frozen tundra" of a Green Bay playoff game.

Most likely. But there's always a chance it could get an irregular cold spell.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Wouldn't they just postpone the game to another day if there was a drastic blizzard that put a quarter of an inch of snow on the ground, though? I haven't really watched baseball in many years, but I assume they still cancel/delay at the slightest sign of any weather hiccups?

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
IIRC a few years ago, with Minny in the playoffs, or just barely missing them, there was severe weather for pretty much all of October. It would've been unrealistic to play for a week or two, at least. That's the type of chaos baseball deserves, IMO, for consistently pushing the WS deeper into October. The anarchist/sociopath in me wants to see how Bud would handle that.

It's going to happen one of these years, in Minny, Colorado, NY, Philly, somewhere.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
thebanjodude":2uxawdz4 said:
It looks to me like one of those non-denominational mega churches

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought that. Seriously, looks like a big ol' revival tent, with something like this going on inside:

[youtube]hnbVqwV8aw4[/youtube]

But hey, if that helps 'em win football games...

Msfann

Reaction score
I think it looks pretty ugly, I don't mind all the glass but the shape looks like crap, there's a reason that nobody makes ships that look like that anymore.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hopefully they can afford better lightining than in the Metrodome. It's always so damn dark in that place. Not as bad as the old Silverdome, but still bad.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I think they'd be nuts to have an open air stadium. What they'd gain in HFA they'd lose in players opting to go elsewhere (only partly joking).

From the looks of things, I think that whole stadium plan is a conglomeration of well executed bad ideas. As others have mentioned, all that glass and clear plastic is impossible to insulate well. Those freaky futuristic triangular shaped side panels are going to be dated about a year after they're built. And if the artwork I've seen is any indication, the clear part of the roof is facing roughly northeast.