Let's Talk Mariners

jkitsune

Reaction score
It's nice to see Justin Smoak drawing a lot of walks. His average has crept up a bit, but his OBP is miles better (I think, TBH I haven't looked it up) than it was last year. Bodes well for him.

Michael Saunders' evolution from complete bust to exactly as good as touted has been a blessing. Thankfully we didn't give up on him. I'm hoping we offer our other top prospects the same patience.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":ghjwb7uv said:
It will be an excellent pitching matchup tomorrow.

Yep. CC Sabathia v. the King. Definitely going to record this game so the wife and I can watch all of it tomorrow.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
jkitsune":1xgpwom1 said:
It's nice to see Justin Smoak drawing a lot of walks. His average has crept up a bit, but his OBP is miles better (I think, TBH I haven't looked it up) than it was last year. Bodes well for him.

Michael Saunders' evolution from complete bust to exactly as good as touted has been a blessing. Thankfully we didn't give up on him. I'm hoping we offer our other top prospects the same patience.

I am beginning to lean towards Smoak sticking to one side of the plate an go from there. He has been atrocious as a RHB this season.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The Outfield":pm9jsnkv said:
HawkFan72":pm9jsnkv said:
Here's some fun Mariners stats I just looked at.

Justin Smoak has the 3rd highest batting average on the team. At .237.

Saunders leads the team in runs and SB. After coming off the DL.

Morse leads the team in HRs. Even after spending time on the DL. 2nd place on the list? Jason Bay.

Looking good! At least they are better than the Angels.

Where do you get 3rd?
Chavez: .288
Saunders: .286
Seager: .283
Shoppach: .264
Morales: .262
Gutierrez: .259
Bay: .253
Smoak: .237

8th.

If you're talking about players with a comparable # of at-bats, then yes. But I wouldn't discount the other guys based on just that.

And yes, Morse is tied for 8th in home runs after missing time on the DL and slumping because of the injury. Pretty impressive.

I got the ranking from Mariners.com. Guess they only ranked the regular starters. Or just like the Mariners, their web guy sucks.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Furbush just got screwed by a missed third strike in the middle of the plate and then gave up a two-run-double to the batter right after.

Subzero717

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2vp0ts9a said:
Furbush just got screwed by a missed third strike in the middle of the plate and then gave up a two-run-double to the batter right after.

He got screwed two batters in a row.

The Outfield

Reaction score
m0ng0":1jchlzwd said:
Felix tweaked his back it would seem. :-(

It sounds like he'll be back to face the Indians on Sunday. I hope it's nothing serious/reoccurring.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3qdrvpen said:
CurryStopstheRuns":3qdrvpen said:

He got screwed two batters in a row.
No surprise, they were playing the Yankees. Kinda like the Seahawks playing the Stealers.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Saw a really sad stat in my paper this morning.......18 times in his career Felix has left a game with a lead only to have the Mariners blow that lead. Wow, just WOW!!

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
The Mariners are a .500 team AT BEST. (and I have a hard time seeing it considering the hitting is still pretty dang bad!)
Sorry Mariners fans, its the truth.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Hawksfanatik":10f40wvp said:
The Mariners are a .500 team AT BEST. (and I have a hard time seeing it considering the hitting is still pretty dang bad!)

And just as you post this, they jump out to a 7-0 start.

jkitsune

Reaction score
What are you apologizing for? I think most knowledgeable fans think .500 is probably a reasonable approximation of the roster as it stands (at the optimistic end - obviously there are more pessimistic estimates).

If Smoak, Ackley, and Montero play to potential there's a few extra wins in there, if Franklin and Zunino and Hultzen and Walker and Paxton all turn out it's a stellar roster, but, y'know, lots of ifs and all that.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Nice to see Ackley draw 3 walks. I think he drew one the night before, too. That's a part of his game that's been missing.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1pz19erq said:
Why are we starting Andino over Ackley? Benching him is not going to help him figure out how to hit major league pitching.

Also Ackley is better than Andino in every way. EVERY. WAY.

Everyday players like Ackley have schedule days of rest. Andino was just filling the slot.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawksfanatik":8zwugpia said:

great story... compelling and rich

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Uncle Si":rgwn5rlu said:
Hawksfanatik":rgwn5rlu said:

great story... compelling and rich

While mysteriously lacking anything particularly appealing. Kind of like a store bought frozen lasagna.