Thunder Lose a Heartbreaker

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I just love OKC and their fans enduring the small market blues. The tight fisted owner, doesn't want to keep the team together because he's making money, but not enough to you know, reinvest it in the team. Eventually Durant will get tired of fighting with Westbrook over shots, management's often incomprehensible fiddling, or lack there of, of the roster, and the totally mediocre coach. He'll leave for a better situation in time.

I love fans who haven't actually been through it, who have been gifted a winning team from the word go, bemoaning the agony of losing. Its all melodramatic bs because that's what they think being a sports fan is.

Btw, the team, the owner and the fans need to never complain about lack of money, or a financial disadvantage against big markets, or anything like that, this is the fans there wanted, this is how the game is played. They made your bed, sleep in it.

chris98251

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2y8r7l34 said:
Ok, well we weren't gifted a winning team, we got a very bad team and were lucky enough to have a great GM who has drafter pretty well. First couple of years in OKC weren't great. I agree about the mediocre coach and possibly about the tight fisted owner, although he's already handed out 2 max deals, the Harden deal would have pushed them WAY over the luxury tax limit, plus Harden wanted starter minutes, and with Sefalosha, he wasn't going to get that. If Lamb pans out and the lottery pick from toronto comes good, then it will have been a good deal. Time will tell.

BULLSHIT, you gutted the Sonics, got Durant in the first draft after purposely losing to get the books looking bad. You then had a number of high picks out of the gate. Yes the GM that was brought in from the Spurs is very good, but by no means were you handed a crap club, the savvy moves of the GM getting picks for Sonics players before tanking built your franchise in OKC. That savvy GM was a Sonics GM before a Thunder GM on paper. The closest thing I can compare it to is how the Bulls were built with Jordan and Pippen or the Spurs giving away the farm for the chance to get Robinson and then lucking into Duncan.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Was it really that long ago that people forgot how shit REALLY went down? I'd type it up, but I'm on my phone and I don't feel like it.

Throwdown

Reaction score
lol DOn't make me feel dirty, you guys did get a shitty, talented, but shitty young team.

Throwdown

Reaction score
And the fact that we had the #2 pick to get Durant, had nothing to do with Bennett, the team was trash with a trash coach who we thought could take over for Nate McMillan, Howard Schultz practically knew nothing about basketball and I hate that man.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I hate the Thunder more than I hate the Yankees. Good effing riddance.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
For the record, we were two years removed from a 50 win team that pushed the NBA champion Spurs to six games in the second round of the playoffs when Bennett took over the team. The cupboard wasn't that bare. It was a mediocre team that had one really bad year, Bennett buys the team, they get the number 2 slot in the lottery, get durant, clean house, play a couple growing pain years, bam, winners. Wasn't hard.

Throwdown

Reaction score
seahawk2k":zi8du4if said:
For the record, we were two years removed from a 50 win team that pushed the NBA champion Spurs to six games in the second round of the playoffs when Bennett took over the team. The cupboard wasn't that bare. It was a mediocre team that had one really bad year, Bennett buys the team, they get the number 2 slot in the lottery, get durant, clean house, play a couple growing pain years, bam, winners. Wasn't hard.

It was really a text book rebuild lol

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Yes, completely, Presti did a great job with that. Haven't agreed, but I have enjoyed his moves to keep them on top, because they haven't been great.

vedthree

Reaction score
This article is so beautiful, it makes me want to cry:
When Did The Thunder Get So Depressing?

The Money Quotes:
Even bigger picture? This team left Seattle and set off a chain reaction in two cities that still isn't resolved. We overlooked it because they turned into the most exciting, addictive roster in the NBA. Since then, the owner who moved them has refused to pay the luxury tax because he doesn't want to risk profits, even as his team's value has almost certainly appreciated by hundreds of millions of dollars. And so a team that seemed too good to be true 12 months ago has been stripped to its bare essentials.
Biggest picture? Last year, the Thunder were the team you could point to if you wanted to make someone fall in love with the NBA.

This year, the Thunder turned into a team that embodies everything that should make someone cynical about loving the NBA.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
vedthree":r8qj4u4h said:
This article is so beautiful, it makes me want to cry:
When Did The Thunder Get So Depressing?

The Money Quotes:
Even bigger picture? This team left Seattle and set off a chain reaction in two cities that still isn't resolved. We overlooked it because they turned into the most exciting, addictive roster in the NBA. Since then, the owner who moved them has refused to pay the luxury tax because he doesn't want to risk profits, even as his team's value has almost certainly appreciated by hundreds of millions of dollars. And so a team that seemed too good to be true 12 months ago has been stripped to its bare essentials.
Biggest picture? Last year, the Thunder were the team you could point to if you wanted to make someone fall in love with the NBA.

This year, the Thunder turned into a team that embodies everything that should make someone cynical about loving the NBA.

That is truly an amazing thing. I was worried they had a strong owner, coach and gm. It seems they have none of them. Buoyed by Durant and Westbrook this team has SAC/NO/MIL in it's future.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Don't forget that the Thunder also own Toronto's lottery pick this year. As well as 2 more future first round picks I believe from the Harden trade.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Let's hope they stick to "Their" legacy and draft a couple guys like Mohammed Sene and Johan Petro.

vedthree

Reaction score
Man, it was exciting to be a Sonics fan in the 90's. We had that core of Kemp & Peyton, future HOF'ers. Every piece surrounding them was perfect. Played their own unique style of ball. They had some growing pains in the playoffs, but then put together that great run into the Finals.Tough draw - having to face the the best player in the game and all. That loss hurt ... but at least we knew we'd be back. Everything was clicking with that team, and their window HAD to be open for at least a few more seasons.

Of course, things just crumbled away. Team gambled on some big stiffs and got stuck with some horrible contracts. Ownership started caring more about the bottom line. Nickel & Dimed the role players at contract time and tried to replace them with cheaper versions. A lot of those guys were talented, but just couldn't recapture that same chemistry the original group had. Eventually the core imploded and the window slammed shut before we even realized it.

But yeah ... that's such a crazy, improbable scenario. I mean, there's no way that could happen to another team, right? :roll:

McG

Reaction score
The Thunder and their "fans" are a joke. Five years from now when this team falls apart and they are fighting for an 8th seed or a lottery pick, their arena will be half full and none of the "fans" will care.

LOL@The Blunder

chris98251

Reaction score
Lets see how attendence goes when Durant and Westbrook are playing for the Sonics , Boston, or the Lakers.