Drafts of Other NFC West Teams--What's your grade?

Marvin49

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":tqosdcb7 said:
You guys know that there's no chance in hell of either of you convincing the other to agree with you in any way, right?

Of course! I never thought I'd be able to convince anyone of anything in enemy territory.

It doesn't make the debate any less fun tho.

Disp

Reaction score
RichNhansom":11jjz4ek said:
When you say this I assume you mean what I said about ignoring other needs? Because there is no way you guys sign a good WR and Goldston. You didn't have the cap room to do so PERIOD. There is no debate about that. It's not as simple as they didn't want to. That's just dumb.

You should do more research to understand the way current contracts are structured. Front offices can do just about anything they want to manipulate the cap. Look at Percy Harvin; he counts for less than $5mil. against the Seahawks cap this year, despite getting paid nearly $15mil this season. If Goldson was a core player and worth the money he was asking, they would have signed him. And they still would've signed Boldin. The FO could get $10mil. in cap space tomorrow if they needed to by just extending Justin Smith and Boldin.

Goldson is a pretty good player, but Tarell Brown and Carlos Rogers were both better than him the past 2 seasons.

Rambitious

Reaction score
aawolf":14nnl4em said:
As scary as it is, IMO, the teams that did the best in this draft all came from the NFC West.

Arizona Cardinals

7. Jonathan Cooper, guard, North Carolina.
45. Kevin Minter, inside linebacker, LSU.
69. Tyrann Mathieu, free safety, LSU.
103. Alex Okafor, outside linebacker, Texas.
116. Earl Watford, guard/center, James Madison.
140. Stepfan Taylor, running back, Stanford.
174. Ryan Swope, receiver, Texas A&M.
187. Andre Ellington, running back, Clemson.
219. D.C. Jefferson, tight end, Rutgers.

My Draft Grade: B+--The Cards made several picks that may add instant help and were some favorites of .net including Cooper (who may help accross the O-line), Ryan Swope (probably a second rounder if concussions don't end his carreer early), Alex Okafor (can be added to the mix of an already impressive pass rush), and, of course, Honey Badger (possibly the steal of the draft, as long as he returns to form and is not arrested and expelled before the season). They upgraded the QB position, IMO, with the addition of Carson Palmer. They would have gotten an "A" from me if they drafted more o-line help and a higher-quality RB, both of which they sorely need to help their anemic offense.

San Francisco 49ers

18. Eric Reid, free safety, LSU.
40. Tank Carradine, outside linebacker, Florida State.
55. Vance McDonald, tight end, Rice.
88. Corey Lemonier, outside linebacker, Auburn.
128. Quinton Patton, receiver, Louisiana Tech.
131. Marcus Lattimore, running back, South Carolina.
157. Quinton Dial, defensive end, Alabama.
180. Nick Moody, linebacker, Florida State.
237. B.J. Daniels, quarterback, South Florida.
246. Carter Bykowski, tackle, Iowa State.
252. Marcus Cooper, cornerback, Rutgers.

My Draft Grade: A---Sorry, but the 9'ers are stacked already and all of these picks were quality for when they were taken. I took exception to the trade-up in the first round to get Reid in the first, but looking at how many picks they had and who they were able to take later on, it didn't strike me as that bad of a move when the draft was over. I suspect that all first 5 picks will see the field this year and play good minutes, and the pick of Lattimore is another candidate for steal of the draft once he comes back from injury. The rest are all talented enough to earn a roster spot.

St. Louis Rams

8. Tavon Austin, receiver, West Virginia.
30. Alec Ogletree, linebacker, Georgia.
71. T.J. McDonald, safety, USC.
92. Stedman Bailey, receiver, West Virginia.
113. Barrett Jones, center/guard, Alabama.
149. Brandon McGee, cornerback, Miami.
160. Zac Stacy, running back, Vanderbilt.

Draft Grade: A- - Geeze...how the heck did they get Austin, Ogletree, and Baily where they did in this draft? STEALS, IMO. All of these three are impact players and have pro-bowl potential and immediately upgrade the offense. They did the best they could with where they picked in this draft, but they desprately need a sure-fire running back with the departure of Stephen Jackson.. I don't think Daryl Richardson and Isaiah Pead are up to the task of filling those shoes.

Again--NFC West= scary good after this draft. I still think the Seahawks should win it this year, but a few years down the road it will be a lo harder if those teams keep drafting like this.

Regarding the Rams running back situation; what do you think of Ganaway?

Latest posts