20th Ranked Offensive Line

HawkWow

Reaction score
Stats can be twisted and manipulated in so many ways, that as many times as not, they are virtually worthless (for anything more than discussion).

Case in point: Football outsiders calling our line "elite" in terms of run blocking. I think that is a tad bit generous. I could be wrong, but based on the eye test, ML was constantly met at the line and seldom (as I recall) got to the 2nd level without serious contact prior. Both of our featured backs had respectable, if not excellent, YPC but I give more credit to those backs than the line itself. An "elite" line should provide the ability to almost plug and play. IMO, lesser backs would have struggled behind 2013's Seahawk line.

Like the Dawgs, it is my greatest area of concern. But even so, I will lose no sleep over the Hawks. We should be fine. It's the Huskies that keep me awake at night.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I think we can all agree that if our best players plays and the line stays consistent game to game, we easily have a top 12 O-line in the NFL.

What I don't get is how the Colts ranked ahead of us... Luck took plenty of sacks, and the amount of pressure he faced produced half his interceptions. No way in hell their rushing offense was better than ours.

So yeah PFF doesn't know what the hell they are talking about at times. Also, considering the Seahawks play 6 times versus some of the best defenses in the NFL. It shows well how much their offense line performed despite that they were a little lacking in cohesiveness and RG was weak, jekyl and hide.

TJH

Reaction score
GLOCKHAWK":ndclczeh said:
If you factor the numbers, ranking the SEAHAWKS at 20th is waaay too low!! Even factoring the intangibles like: zone blocking schemes, each players qb abilities to scramble v.s. pocket passing, and stud running backs...still makes the HAWKS far much better than teams like the Niners (ranked at #2). Just using sack totals by themselves (Sea-33/S.F-30) makes me believe that Tom Cable knows what he is doing.

Crazy talk.

We may be about the same in pass protection, but the 49ers line absolutely destroys ours in the run game. Gore has holes a mile wide.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Carpenter healthy all year long? I'm giddy just thinking about it. He's not just a 'road grader' as he has nimble footwork and is super quick for a big fella. What an undefendable load he'll be.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":27swpzfk said:
Carpenter healthy all year long? I'm giddy just thinking about it. He's not just a 'road grader' as he has nimble footwork and is super quick for a big fella. What an undefendable load he'll be.

Agreed, Carpenter is one of the more intriguing stories on the team this year. While he has had conditioning and injury issues since arriving when he has been able to play healthy he has shown some serious flash. This off season he has remained in Seattle and worked with the strength and conditioning coach's. Schneider said he believes Carp might be the strongest man on the team right now and if he is better conditioned he will have a better chance of remaining injury free.

What we haven't seen from Carpenter is real cohesion with the rest of the line and what he could do if healthy, cohesive and a full knowledge of the play book and execution. I am very excited to see how not only he performs but how he effects to performance of the entire line and running game.

Okung said he believes McQuiston is extremely under rated and Moffitt (like Carp) remained all off season as well and looks to be in excellent shape. If both Moffitt and Carp can remain healthy and productive, McQuiston who already has chemistry on the line will be one of the best back ups in the league. If all goes well on the line this year, I believe we could end the season with a top 5 O-line.

Carpenter might be one of those that has the ability to tilt the field. I am extremely excited for his contribution this coming season.