Draft to be moved to May - per Schefter.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Adam Schefter
NFL and NFLPA are on verge of pushing back draft to May and moving up start of league year to before combine, per sources.

So stupid IMO.

kearly

Reaction score
So basically, free agency would kick off right after the Superbowl. I'm not sure I like this. The month and a half gap between FA and the draft will now be 3 months.

The league year being moved up was the union's desire, but that said, one of my least favorite things about Goodell are his constant urges to fix what isn't broken in the world's best sport.

Snohomie

Reaction score
I think this is great - extra 3 weeks of draft season, 3 fewer weeks of post-draft-wtf-do-we-talk-about-til-TC season.

Plus, I will no longer have to juggle my birthday with the draft.

sutz

Reaction score
Oh boy. 3 more weeks of draft talk.

Thrills.

:|

kearly

Reaction score
I think the toughest pre-draft month is the last one. Teams have done their thing in FA, the combine is over, most pro-days are over, and teams suddenly stop talking to reporters almost completely until the final days before the draft. Granted, it's all lies at the very end anyway, but that cone of silence over that last month really sucks if you have to cover the draft every day on a blog. Now it's going to be almost three times as long. Can't say I'm looking forward to next year's draft season, as a writer or a reader.

I do anticipate that next year's combine will be perhaps the most intense ever, as it will be the first combine to take place after free agency (that I know of). That will be neat to watch. After that though, zzz....

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I can see where the NFLPA would endorse this move. Teams know their needs even before their seasons end. By opening the UFA signing period before the combine -- teams are going to be more actively pursuing UFA solutions to their needs. Driving salary prices higher. Because they will not have put eyes on draft prospects quite yet. The combine gives teams the ability to have a good grasp on what the draft class holds relative to their needs. If the class is solid, then they aren't as likely to be active in UFA.

By starting the UFA period first, they don't have that ability to mull draft alternatives as much. The UFA pool will deplete before they get prospects in a room for interviews or see them 'on the hoof' in the drills. A team that avoids the UFA prospects could be left holding the bag if the draft pool doesn't fulfill their need.

I can see a much greater importance put on the Senior Bowl, as that will be the only venue coaches and scouts have to really eyeball prospects prior to the UFA period.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
sutz":20fzgzvs said:

Thrills.

I was gonna say, Snohomie, more draft season isn't exactly a plus for everyone.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I like it. A few more weeks for idiot players to do something stupid and show who they really are. Agents have these guys so coached, but give to a stupid man, time=rope. Give him enough...

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
The bad part I see would be for the rookies. Less time in the program, less time to get situated/acclimated, and less time to learn their new playbooks.

Snohomie

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":11402u4c said:
sutz":11402u4c said:

Thrills.

I was gonna say, Snohomie, more draft season isn't exactly a plus for everyone.

Never said it was.

But, for the non-draftniks, is the dead season (May and June) really better than draft season? IMO right now is the worst time in the NFL because nothing really is going on. The less we have of that, the better.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Groan.

Three more weeks of people on Twitter banging on about which quarterback they love/hate the most.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
3 more weeks of Honey Badger talk! woot. - :sarcasm_off:

I really like English and Kearly's take on this as draft bloggers, seems kind of pointless to "fix" something that isn't broken.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I really don't like that they're moving it to Mother's Day weekend. Wife is going to win that one.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1jusxco5 said:
I really don't like that they're moving it to Mother's Day weekend. Wife is going to win that one.
It is Mother's Day, not Wife Day. Man up.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":fs3mg9fc said:
Attyla the Hawk":fs3mg9fc said:
It is Mother's Day, not Wife Day. Man up.

Aren't they all Wife Day?