Dallas draft board leaked

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Really cool to see where Dallas had players placed. Good post !

pehawk

Reaction score
Huh, Desmond Trufant a 3rd round grade (my personal favorite CB in draft). Michael and Simon not on the board due to injury/other concerns. Yet, they had Dion Jordan rated 3rd overall.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
EJ Manuel rated at 4th round interesting. The Seattle influence via Safties/Corners was evident they didn't like Trufant because of his height I would bet on it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Not surprising as Jerruh Jones isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the NFL when it comes to judging talent.

kearly

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3ix4rgj7 said:
Not surprising as Jerruh Jones isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the NFL when it comes to judging talent.

I think he does just fine at evaluating talent. His draft boards are very much in tune with what most other teams have, and he's had some very good draft picks over the last few years. Dallas has more regular season wins over the last 10 seasons than Seattle does. They've only posted two losing seasons in that span (2004, 2010).

The problem with Dallas is that for whatever reason they just seem perpetually unable to get over the hump. Part of that is because the NFC East has been a very competitive division during that period. Part of it is the erratic nature of Tony Romo. Part of it is luck.

If I had to critique Jones, I'd say that he trades up in the draft far too often, and that he does things just a bit too much by the book. He also puts too much stock in free agency. I look at his draft board and there might be 3 names on it that I'm not familiar with. I bet if I saw Seattle's draft board I'd maybe know half the names, and the names I don't know would be where the great picks come from.

Oh, and the extension he signed Romo to was retarded. But for the most part, I think he's done a solid job and has a more than solid track record.

pehawk

Reaction score
The extension of Romo negates anything positive you said, kearly. That's just inexcusible, period. When Jerry knows, KNOWS, he can have a Barkley, for at most a 2nd, its plain inexcusible.

Jerry hasn't adapted to todays more "draft-centic" league and GM'ing.

Take 2012 for example. Sure, Claiborne's nice, but NOT on a team which badly just needs warm and cheap bodies. It was just dumb, Jerry searching and reaching for a shiny object. All their money is invested in few players. Dude turned down Holmgren this offseason. The only coach that could grind 10-11 wins out of Romo

The Cowboys are the late 90's Seahawks. They'll never get above 8 or 9 wins.

He's Al Davis circa 1986 or 1987. The plunge into insanity is beginning to manifest. The game passed him by 2 or 3 years ago (especially after new CBA), he's living solely off prior accomplishments.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Love your usual analysis Kearly, but have to disagree with ya! I think PE nailed it with the "shiny object", and fails to adapt points....... and yeah that extension for Romo was very stupid!

ivotuk

Reaction score
Jerry Jones is a blithering idiot and he has condemned cowboys fans to never-ending hell. Always "almost" there. He hits a good pick every now and then but he absolutely blows it on his picks. He absolutely blew it when he shot his wad to select Morris Caliborne. Overrated player that can thank Patrick Peterson for his draft status.

Jerry's running backs have been a huge failure and he always tries to fix things in FA just like Ruskell. He traded a starting DB to the Lions for Jon Kitna for crying out loud! After a season where Romo got hurt and his backup sucked. Talk about closing the door after the cow got out. There was a good chance Kitna would have been cut...but no... Then he is in desperate need of a DB so he pays through the nose for them... "JJ" is reactionary and by being so he short his team trying to fill a hole from 6 months ago. He really "F'ed" up when he fired Jimmy Johnson. The other JJ did things the right way, he built a young team through great drafting, much like Pete and John do...

Undead Al lives again, through "Jerrah the Pariah!"

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pehawk":23uxaeyw said:
The extension of Romo negates anything positive you said, kearly. That's just inexcusible, period. When Jerry knows, KNOWS, he can have a Barkley, for at most a 2nd, its plain inexcusible.

Jerry hasn't adapted to todays more "draft-centic" league and GM'ing.

Take 2012 for example. Sure, Claiborne's nice, but NOT on a team which badly just needs warm and cheap bodies. It was just dumb, Jerry searching and reaching for a shiny object. All their money is invested in few players. Dude turned down Holmgren this offseason. The only coach that could grind 10-11 wins out of Romo

The Cowboys are the late 90's Seahawks. They'll never get above 8 or 9 wins.

He's Al Davis circa 1986 or 1987. The plunge into insanity is beginning to manifest. The game passed him by 2 or 3 years ago (especially after new CBA), he's living solely off prior accomplishments.
Hole in one. Still Kearly's analysis is solid despite being wrong.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":g527iav2 said:
Glory hole.

That was you saying "psst..." and beckoning me through that hole with your finger?

I always assume its theENGLISH or peaches, because, well, they’re British and I’m racist.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Looks like they only had 1 player we drafted on their board, maybe I missed 1 or 2 others.

Jordan Hill, they had him a 3rd, where we got him. Interesting.

General Manager

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3luk4h03 said:
Looks like they only had 1 player we drafted on their board, maybe I missed 1 or 2 others.

Jordan Hill, they had him a 3rd, where we got him. Interesting.

I saw that as well looks like Hill was higher on boards than some people thought.

kearly

Reaction score
Jerry Jones has been open about his draft priorities in the past. Last year he traded his 2nd round pick (#45 overall) to move up for Mo Claiborne. A couple days after the 2012 draft ended, he publicly remarked that had he still owned the #45 pick, he would have used it to draft Bobby Wagner. Turns out it's a very good thing (for us) that Jones moved up for Claiborne.

Jville

Reaction score
Its been an unusual off season. So ....... anyone that wants to poke fun at the Cowboys best get their fill now. Cause the flat cap aint gonna last forever. And that cap penalty, for past transgressions, will be paid off directly.

Teams like the Cowboys, Redskins and Raiders are rapidly digging themselves out of cap hell. Future off seasons will return to normal.

pehawk

Reaction score
Jville, no offense, but I don't think Jerry's issues are going away. Just look at what happened with Garrett and Callahan over the past few days. It actually makes me reconsider my personal assesment on Garrett as a HC.

Dallas may soon be like a less extreme version of Oakland. You need to evaluate with an exchange rate. I.e. Tom Cable going 8 wins Oakland, converts to 10.5-11 in the real world.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
As long as Jerry remains owner of the Cowboys they will remain medicore and irrelavent. He's so arrogant that he can't see past his own nose. The current Callahan/Garrett fiasco is just the latest Chinese Fire Drill situation they have going there. Jerry wants all the power and recognition except he forgets he is niether a player, coach or GM even if he tries to be latter two.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
ivotuk":m0n913ba said:
Jerry Jones is a blithering idiot and he has condemned cowboys fans to never-ending hell.........
Yep, and that warms the very deepest parts of my heart. No fanbase I despise more unless it's the Stealers.
Putting your eggs in the Romo basket after his endless failings in the clutch is a "What is he smoking?" moment. I'm nearly 57 and have been watching pro and college sports since 1964 and have NEVER seen ANYONE who finds more ways to fail when his team most needs him to not do so than Tony Romo. But I will say he's an excellent bet in fantasy football because his numbers are always good. :roll: