Texas A&M is now officially an SEC team

pehawk

Reaction score
SEC are indeed pussies with this bullshit.

I'd love to see Georgia go into Reeser or something. Because no one, and I mean NO ONE, goes into Reeser Stadium and pushes the Beavers around.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":13de8c89 said:

Eh. I think I could forgive any team from the SEC for choosing to make their lives no more miserable than it needs to be.

pehawk

Reaction score
What has happened to kearly? Where's our NW flag-waving, smart, analytical homer gone?

I love you like a fake-brother, Chip Tardybeer, so know I'm being real with this; is theENGLISH sucking the blind enthusiasm out of ya?

CPHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":lamz03pc said:
SEC are indeed pussies with this bullshit.

I'd love to see Georgia go into Reeser or something. Because no one, and I mean NO ONE, goes into Reeser Stadium and pushes the Beavers around.

I'm still waiting for that epic 'cocks vs beaver game.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
Now that the SEC is likely to schedule 9 conference games in the near future; they don't need to add any quality non conference opponents. The SEC is strong enough (2 teams likely) to make the final 4 with its current conference opposition.

That was the fallout from the SEC meetings today in Destin.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Stoned Cold":1oiq1b32 said:
Now that the SEC is likely to schedule 9 conference games in the near future; they don't need to add any quality non conference opponents. The SEC is strong enough (2 teams likely) to make the final 4 with its current conference opposition.

You sure about that? They just voted 2 days ago to stick with only 8 conference games.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/05/29/sec-c ... nce-games/

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I don't think SEC schedules are nearly as tough as they'd like you to think to begin with. Its definatly very VERY good at the top of the conference, but there's a lot of scrub teams as well.

Texas A&M this year:

Home: Rice, Sam Houston, Alabama, SMU, Auburn, Vanderbilt, UTEP, Mississippi State

Road: Arkansas, Ole Miss, LSU, Missouri

8 home games, 4 road games and only 3 (really only 2 but i'm giving Arkansas the benefit of the doubt) games they even have a chance of losing. I think they could afford to add a Pac 12 type team to their schedule.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
JSeahawks":c6j0t5od said:
Stoned Cold":c6j0t5od said:

You sure about that? They just voted 2 days ago to stick with only 8 conference games.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/05/29/sec-c ... nce-games/

Yep. In fact I heard the Oregon games are still on from what I heard. The USC games were never finalized. The SEC is in a wait and see to determine whats next now with the final 4. Most of what I hear is that it will soon change to a 9 game conference schedule after the National Championship Final 4 becomes relevant.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Stoned Cold":2z9u57si said:
think you guys jumped the gun and started calling out the best football conference because you're a bunch of haters.

I absolutely agree its the best conference. But as an SEC fan, (i'm assuming that's what you are from your response) wouldn't you rather watch them play other major conferences in their non conference schedule rather then a bunch of cupcakes?

And I don't feel that way just about the SEC, I feel that way about all the conferences. In my opinion all BCS conference teams should be allowed 1 cupcake for a tune up, and all other games should be against other major conference schools. But the SEC is by far the weakest with its out of conference schedule, and you can't deny that.

I hated the Ducks out of conference schedule last year as well, it made the start of the season boring as hell, although this year its a bit tougher (they play an SEC school and an ACC school) and they've done a good job of trying to schedule big schools in the future with upcoming home and home series with Michagan St, Ohio St, and maybe Texas A&M.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
JSeahawks":odtm61jp said:
I don't think SEC schedules are nearly as tough as they'd like you to think to begin with. Its definatly very VERY good at the top of the conference, but there's a lot of scrub teams as well.

Texas A&M this year:

Home: Rice, Sam Houston, Alabama, SMU, Auburn, Vanderbilt, UTEP, Mississippi State

Road: Arkansas, Ole Miss, LSU, Missouri

8 home games, 4 road games and only 3 (really only 2 but i'm giving Arkansas the benefit of the doubt) games they even have a chance of losing. I think they could afford to add a Pac 12 type team to their schedule.

Uh dude, Playing Bama is brutal. Now go on the road and try to win in Death Valley (LSU). Just that right there is more brutal than anything Oregon will face. Now sprinkle in a quality Vandy, Miss. State, and Ole Miss. who were all Bowl teams. Arkansas and Mizzu could both be good teams this year as well. Who does Oregon play? 1 for sure tough team in at Stanford lol. Go away dude.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Of course playing Alabama and playing at LSU are brutal. I never said they weren't. But if you think you're the best conference (and I agree that they are) what is the danger in playing another top team from another conference? Nick Saban usually plays a pretty quality opponent, and I respect him for it. Florida usually plays Florida State, and I respect them for it. Most SEC teams don't do that though.

I would love to play LSU, Alabama and Texas A&M for our 3 non conference games. We might go 0-3 but it would be a hell of a lot more entertaining and meaningful then playing cupcakes.

What I would love to see in college football, and what I would do if I were in charge is form 4 Super Conferences with the top 2 teams from each conference forming an 8 team playoff field. For non conference scheduling take the athletic directors completely out of it. Make it a prearranged formula like the NFL does. Keep your 9 conference games and then Pac 12 #1 plays the other three #1's from each conference. #2 plays the other three #2's from each conference. That way teams get challenged in their non conference but don't get penalized because only the conference records matter when making the playoffs. You could then use the overall records and rankings to help seed those 8 teams in the playoffs.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
I'll lay off a bit. You made a good point about not comparing Oregon, I made that comparison. I just think A&M for example: has to play Bama, at LSU, and a Conference Champ Game to top it off in the SEC Title Game (maybe Georgia or Florida) and thats good enough. Much tougher than any other conference. No need to schedule an Oregon too.

I do like your thoughts on only the conference records being viable. I just don't want to see UCLA represent the Pac-12 #2 like last year. What happens if UCLA wins that Pac-12 Title Game last year? Like Wisconsin won against Nebraska in the Big 10 Title Game? Michigan and Nebraske had the best conference records. Who deserves to go? Wisconsin 4-4 over Michigan, Nebraska, even Northwestern had a better record than Wisconsin. Just sayin bro.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Stoned Cold":3e0sgneg said:
I do like your thoughts on only the conference records being viable. I just don't want to see UCLA represent the Pac-12 #2 like last year. What happens if UCLA wins that Pac-12 Title Game last year? Like Wisconsin won against Nebraska in the Big 10 Title Game? Michigan and Nebraske had the best conference records. Who deserves to go? Wisconsin 4-4 over Michigan, Nebraska, even Northwestern had a better record than Wisconsin. Just sayin bro.

Well, since they would already be playing 2 or 3 extra games with an 8 team playoff i'd probably just eliminate the conference championship games. So its the two top teams from each conference after their regular season.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
JSeahawks":12fwykia said:
Well, since they would already be playing 2 or 3 extra games with an 8 team playoff i'd probably just eliminate the conference championship games. So its the two top teams from each conference after their regular season.

If only you could control that. The SEC Title Game is a huge money making game. And I mean HUGE. The Pac-12 is probably one of the worst. For crying out loud its played on a Friday night lol. By far the worst scenario. Big 10 and Big 12 I think go head to head (time slot wise) prior to the SEC Title Game. I think they do well too. Too much revenue to walk away from.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Stoned Cold":35pn1hz0 said:
JSeahawks":35pn1hz0 said:

If only you could control that. The SEC Title Game is a huge money making game. And I mean HUGE. The Pac-12 is probably one of the worst. For crying out loud its played on a Friday night lol. By far the worst scenario. Big 10 and Big 12 I think go head to head (time slot wise) prior to the SEC Title Game. I think they do well too. Too much revenue to walk away from.

That would be offset by extra playoff games though, which would be big money makers. And the teams that didn't make the 8 team playoffs could still play in some kind of bowl system. So overall it would actually create more post season games, even though the conference title games were eliminated.

I dunno, its all just dreaming anyway. My point is that i'd just like to see more competitive non conference games rather then 60-7 blowouts. From both my own team and throughout college football.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1l2a44qa said:
I dunno, its all just dreaming anyway. My point is that i'd just like to see more competitive non conference games rather then 60-7 blowouts. From both my own team and throughout college football.

As a business man you wouldn't walk away from that Title Game unless you were forced to. The SEC Title Game generates 14.3 million. Thats over a million per team. Way too much money to be talked out of. As a business man, you know you could not only get the playoff revenue you talk about, but also the Title Game revenue too. But forget that because we know that won't ever happen. Lets move on to this other point you made which I have thoughts on.

I wish, and college football is discussing it, we could go away with all non-conference games. These non-BCS schools are only in it for the pay check by signing on to play 2 away games. Thats what the new discussion is about. All conference games, schedule 9 games. And than a playoff. You lose some out of conference rivals like Florida State vs. Florida, or South Carolina vs. Clemson, etc. but unfortunately tradition is whats holding this idea back.

Other examples: Notre Dame vs. USC or Navy or Stanford, Georgia vs. Georgia Tech., Miami vs. Florida State, etc.