Sounders Season Thread - Sigi is STAYING

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I was looking into the 4-3-3 formation with Neagle inserted. However, they could still use 4-4-2 as well. I've seen teams use an upper-midfield and lower-midfield combination for central midfielders. So Sounders could use this with Alonso in lower mid, Neagle upper mid, plus Rosales and Zak on the wings. Here, you have Johnson and Martins on top. Subs could be Joseph, Martinez, Rose, Caskey, Carrasco, and Evans.

In simpler terms, what I was trying to say is a 4-3-1-2 formation rather than 4-4-2. Here's the link to a visual of that formation -
http://football-formation.com/formations/4-3-1-2. I don't believe any team is using this formation per se but many teams use a variation of 4-4-2 that sort of resembles this.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Lamar Neagle is a lot like Brad Evans in the fact that you want him on the pitch cause he is a gamer. He's a guy that gives it his all everytime he's out there and can make a difference. Neagle can play up front our out wide and is decently good at both.

I still think that Rosales and Zakuani are still the first choices for wingers, but right behind him is Martinez, Neagle and Evans.

Up top its gotta be EJ, Oba, Neagle, Estrada.

Spounge84

Reaction score
Yeah that red was pretty damn harsh, especially since Carassco got called for the exact same thing earlier in the game and didn't even get a yellow for it.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
The red was excessive where a yellow would have sufficed. However, let's not let that take away from a complete dismantling of the Western conferences best team. The Sounders could have and should have placed a seven spot on FC Dallas who were outclassed the entire evening.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Lets just go ahead and play the high line offside trap against a team that features Lamar Neagle, Eddie Johnson and Obafemi Martins...Yeah, that should work. Horrible game plan and the execution of it was even worse. Those tactics against this club will end up with goals upon goals upon goals...and thats exactly what happened.

I know everyone will be talking about the red, and about EJ, Neagle and Oba getting goals but I want to point out one player who was exceptional. Servando Carrasco. He was spraying balls all over the pitch last night. He looked a little bit like a poor mans Paul Scholes (I cringe everytime Carrasco goes in for a slide tackle). His play over the past 4 games has been outstanding.

That being said...I hope Ozzie isn't out too long with his groin strain.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It's always good to see your strikers score. All the goals came from the top guys - Johnson (2), Neagle, and Martins. I believe Martins has a gaol in every game he's played. Dallas is a good team but the drop-off in the middle was quite noticeable once Ozzie got hurt and left. I'm talking about the drop-off in pace and speed. The Sounders were much slower. Thus Dallas was able to put them into more set pieces and controlled the ball better. When they ran, Sounders dominated the game. They could have easily had 5-6 goals this came. Evans had a beautiful opportunity that he didn't finish. Johnson had one earlier in the match. With that sais, the Sounders are hot right now. It seems the team has found ways to play together and win. Their chemistry seems to be real good.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawkfan68":iq71al5d said:
I was looking into the 4-3-3 formation with Neagle inserted. However, they could still use 4-4-2 as well. I've seen teams use an upper-midfield and lower-midfield combination for central midfielders. So Sounders could use this with Alonso in lower mid, Neagle upper mid, plus Rosales and Zak on the wings. Here, you have Johnson and Martins on top. Subs could be Joseph, Martinez, Rose, Caskey, Carrasco, and Evans.

In simpler terms, what I was trying to say is a 4-3-1-2 formation rather than 4-4-2. Here's the link to a visual of that formation -
http://football-formation.com/formations/4-3-1-2. I don't believe any team is using this formation per se but many teams use a variation of 4-4-2 that sort of resembles this.

the 4-3-1-2 is implemented quite a bit. not as much as the 4-2-3-1. they are all really just versions of a 4-3-3. the bigger difference and choice comes of what type of wingers you have and what your cms can do.

The 4-3-1-2 though is a very defensive formation... more of a 4-5-1 (which is a defensive form of the 4-3-3). in looking at this formation you are planting 7 players in the first 3 zones (of 7, according to the Dutch and Spanish) of your formation. While you may wiggle your way out (if your Barcelona) holding 7 players that deep in the MLS is a dangerous and negative position to start in. it also leaves 3 zones between your wing players and their attacking teammates (the 2 outside mids would support or attack over the 2 forwards, but in this formation would have nearly 30 yards of gap between them).

the most attacking version is the 4-1-2-3, or Chelsea (mourinhos) 4-flat 3-3. the 4-2-3-1 is a mainstay in the Pl right now, with one of the two holding a very defensive CM, while the other roams and pings with the CAM.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Uncle Si":be7lzcs8 said:
hawkfan68":be7lzcs8 said:

the 4-3-1-2 is implemented quite a bit. not as much as the 4-2-3-1. they are all really just versions of a 4-3-3. the bigger difference and choice comes of what type of wingers you have and what your cms can do.

The 4-3-1-2 though is a very defensive formation... more of a 4-5-1 (which is a defensive form of the 4-3-3). in looking at this formation you are planting 7 players in the first 3 zones (of 7, according to the Dutch and Spanish) of your formation. While you may wiggle your way out (if your Barcelona) holding 7 players that deep in the MLS is a dangerous and negative position to start in. it also leaves 3 zones between your wing players and their attacking teammates (the 2 outside mids would support or attack over the 2 forwards, but in this formation would have nearly 30 yards of gap between them).

the most attacking version is the 4-1-2-3, or Chelsea (mourinhos) 4-flat 3-3. the 4-2-3-1 is a mainstay in the Pl right now, with one of the two holding a very defensive CM, while the other roams and pings with the CAM.

Thanks Uncle Si for the explanantion and clarification of the various formations. This helps.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
There was a tidbit in Saturday's sports edition of Seattle Times' Sounder report that the Sounders are inquiring about Jose Javier Barkero. Barkero is a midfielder (34 years old) and former teammate of Obafemi Martins. If they bring Barkero on, who would be released? Would it mean the end of Mauro Rosales?

knownone

Reaction score
hawkfan68":7g67wsao said:
There was a tidbit in Saturday's sports edition of Seattle Times' Sounder report that the Sounders are inquiring about Jose Javier Barkero. Barkero is a midfielder (34 years old) and former teammate of Obafemi Martins. If they bring Barkero on, who would be released? Would it mean the end of Mauro Rosales?
Depends almost entirely on his salary demands.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Well the Sounders just lost again...this time to an USL team - Tampa Rowdies. Things are going the wrong way. Hopefully they can get back on track soon.

rightbench

Reaction score
2 shots neither on goal against the Galaxy (waste of my time and money to go see them) and then they can't beat a 3rd tier team of scrubs and Martins can't put a PK in... what the hell

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
17th different line up on the 17th game (all comps) tonight...

consistency may be our biggest problem this season.