The London Jaguars

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
ALLLLLLLLLLLL you say? Have to watched you say? Riddle me this Batman, how many coaches are on the Competition Committee? The players hate the rule changes but they propose them hahaha. This is hilarious.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
cockeyhawk":25k7g8ob said:
LOL you just said don't blame the coaches. The coaches are the nfl rules committee and they do vote. They do decide which rules go up for vote. Roger decides what gos up for the voting(to the coaches) and legal reasons dictate that. So the ball starts rolling with roger. The Ex players with there pussy, I made millions of dollars and got a concussion law suit is a lot of the problem. So in case you didn't know don't say blame the nfl rules committee and not the coaches, when then committee is full of coaches(and a few gms).

People say this, and it irritates me to no end.

Most of the players that are part of that suit did not make millions, as they played long before the NFL adopted free agency AND overtook baseball as America's most popular game.

Furthermore, many players WERE mistreated by negligent coaches and team doctors that sent them back into games after they had concussions, whether mild or severe. The sort of name-calling that you engaged in within your post is part of the mentality that got these players hurt in the first place, as it is part of the culture of sports that, while I enjoy aspects of it, leads to guys doing moronic things like this to save face (or their jobs, depending on how old-school the coach is).

Finally, it really, really, really irritates me when people act like making millions of dollars exempts you from being able to speak out if you feel that you have been mistreated.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
It irritates me to no end that 1000 jobs in America, and god knows how many globaly have people being abused. Everyday you wake up these people get bang in the poop shoot. I wasn't debating men getting compensated or even leaving a game when they have a concusion. If you take on a job with a inherit risk then so be it. millions of people everyday have to do it. Adverage joes from all around the world have to risk there body and life all the time. These people cant afford the legal fees to get OVER represented. IM really glad that majority of americans are willing to support rich people getting represented and treated better then the average person. When I read this dumb blind following shit it makes me sick to my stomach how you cant think for your self. Again stone cold I said coaches/managers on the competiton committee go ahead and count them. If you can count to 10 you would realize how stupid you are.

uncle fester

Reaction score
So... back on topic...

Would you go watch 8 Jags games if you were based abroad, simply because you happened to be there?

Or would you opt to hand over what works out at $156 to watch every Seahawks game from your couch?

I've watched NFL at Wembley. It's a fun night. The fans treat it as a special occasion. But they're also glued to their smartphones keeping an eye on their own team's game.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1sp7hcsj said:
I support Goodell in almost every thing he does. But I think this is a horrible idea. I hate it.

A few years back if you had asked me about the likelihood of an NFL franchise in London, I'd have said, sometime in my lifetime, maybe in the next 25 years. Ask me now, and I'd say we'll see football -- American football -- being played on Sundays at Wembley Stadium within the next 10 years (possibly 5 to 7), and, yes, the Jacksonville Jaguars are the team numerous well-connected NFL people have tabbed as the most likely to land there.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason ... e-best-fit
Not going to happen no matter how much Goodell wishes for it.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Bakergirl":2uis6dp3 said:
Goodell forgot this is the "National Football League" not the "International Football League." What a dope. :mrgreen:

Americans seem to forget this when football, baseball and basketball champions are referred to as "world champions"

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1oc7kq0k said:
Bakergirl":1oc7kq0k said:
Goodell forgot this is the "National Football League" not the "International Football League." What a dope. :mrgreen:

Americans seem to forget this when football, baseball and basketball champions are referred to as "world champions"

We just assume we would kick the shit out of the Glascow team, I guess.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I think the idea continues to get floated out there because Goodell wants to see someone make a push for it. I think most potential owners know that it'd be a completely futile effort (especially when L.A does not have a football team and getting one stabilized there would be FAR more lucrative), so it's something that we'll remember as, "Hey remember when Goodell kept trying to push this idea and no one wanted to do it?"

ronnieboycefanclub

Reaction score
I have been to all the Regular Season Wembley games and have bought tickets to the two forthcoming games. If there were to be three games a season I would probally go to all those as well. I do live not that far from Wembley myself, however fans do travel from all other the UK and Europe. If there were to be eight games I would consider a season ticket if the price was reasonable.

If there was to be a team in London, another venue could be the Olympic Stadium at Stratford.

DogfaceK

Reaction score
There's no way one team would work; travel would be beyond ridiculous. Send a bunch of teams over there and have them play each other exclusively. Create a "USA Conference" and a "European Conference", then have them play in the World Bowl.

cdallan

Reaction score
uncle fester":2ig63jmi said:
So... back on topic...

Would you go watch 8 Jags games if you were based abroad, simply because you happened to be there?

Or would you opt to hand over what works out at $156 to watch every Seahawks game from your couch?

I've watched NFL at Wembley. It's a fun night. The fans treat it as a special occasion. But they're also glued to their smartphones keeping an eye on their own team's game.

This is my thinking. I would never switch from watching the Seahawks. For this reason, I think you would have to give a London team 10 years before you would have a legitimate fan base. Still, there is more chance of this happening in 10 years in London than 10 years in J'ville.

People suggesting Germany as a base are ignoring the fact that US troop commitments there are presumably going to diminish. And to say players won't live in London overlooks the fact that it makes about as much sense as living in Seattle, particularly if a tax incentive was put in place. Leaving aside language, IMO the key to the NFL unlocking the world market is having a successful franchise in Asia. That would be huge.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
DogfaceK":19if7s61 said:
There's no way one team would work; travel would be beyond ridiculous. Send a bunch of teams over there and have them play each other exclusively. Create a "USA Conference" and a "European Conference", then have them play in the World Bowl.

Basically like an expanded playoff bracket? The winner of the Super Bowl would play in the World Bowl? I'm not sure the NFL would want that.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":ksyn5xt7 said:
Bakergirl":ksyn5xt7 said:

We have by far the best leagues in those sports, so they pretty much are world champions

HansGruber

Reaction score
cockeyhawk":2d8kwhss said:
It irritates me to no end that 1000 jobs in America, and god knows how many globaly have people being abused. Everyday you wake up these people get bang in the poop shoot. I wasn't debating men getting compensated or even leaving a game when they have a concusion. If you take on a job with a inherit risk then so be it. millions of people everyday have to do it. Adverage joes from all around the world have to risk there body and life all the time. These people cant afford the legal fees to get OVER represented. IM really glad that majority of americans are willing to support rich people getting represented and treated better then the average person. When I read this dumb blind following shit it makes me sick to my stomach how you cant think for your self. Again stone cold I said coaches/managers on the competiton committee go ahead and count them. If you can count to 10 you would realize how stupid you are.

You might want to tone it down a bit. Cursing, name-calling and disrespect toward fellow posters is frowned upon here. This is a cool community. Chill out a bit, smoke a bowl if you have to, but learn to treat your fellow posters with a bit of respect if you want to stick around.

And as a practicing neurologist, I find your analogy lacking. Show me any other career where a "worker" faces the risk of multiple concussions per year. Outside of vehicular accidents, the most common source of TBI (traumatic brain injuries) is sports - generally football, hockey and fighting sports.

This phenomenon was recognized many years ago in our field, and many various organizations of neurologists, neurosurgeons and other doctors have attempted to educate the American public on the very serious problems posed. We have pushed for the adoption of new rules and safety equipment to help protect athletes.

Roger Goodell is the first professional sports commissioner to come to the medical community and ask us how to fix this problem. He is the first to seriously try to reduce the risk to his employees and protect their health. Whether this is the result of lawsuits or simply goodwill doesn't matter. Goodell has taken these steps in the face of severe criticism and even defiance from the players themselves, and my colleagues and I applaud him for his efforts.

Your attempt to label athletes as "pussies" because of concerns about concussions is particularly ignorant. There is no way an athlete can condition themselves to avoid the long-term health effects of repeated head injuries. And if you had even the slightest knowledge of or experience with what that looks like, you would understand the foolishness of your statement.

For instance, did you know that one of the long-term effects of multiple head injuries is uncontrollable homicidal urges and behavior? Do you have any idea how many serious murders have been committed by people suffering from brain trauma? Did you know that up to a quarter of the seriously criminally insane patients at Western State Hospital are believed to have committed their heinous crimes as the result of TBI? I think if you were exposed to even a few of these cases, it would dramatically change your view of head injuries. I wish I was allowed to describe some of the cases I've seen, the horror of those cases might quench a bit of your bloodlust and open your eyes to the real tragedy that can result.

And to post on topic:

It seems ludicrous to me as well that we would have a team in London. How would travel be handled? I can barely function for a week after flying to Europe, and vice-versa when I return. The only way it would work is if we had a full-fledged league in Europe, and that has already been attempted (and failed).

cdallan

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1u8burap said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1u8burap said:
Bakergirl":1u8burap said:

We have by far the best leagues in those sports, so they pretty much are world champions

The 2004 US Olympic Basketball team would like a quick word with you.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":37vprd0q said:
Glasgow Seahawk":37vprd0q said:
Bakergirl":37vprd0q said:

That's because no one else outside of America really plays them professionally. Soccer is pretty much the only sport that matters to the rest of the world.

Outside of Japan and America who plays baseball? Cricket is played in countries that don't play baseball.

Who plays professional American football outside of America? No one because everyone else plays rugby, Aussie rules or a form of football.

Foreign players are only starting to become more common in Basketball but it would be embarrassing if America didn't win gold at the Olympics every time as know other country has a top professional league.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":fgazms24 said:
Bakergirl":fgazms24 said:

It's a small world after all!

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I've spent a the best part of the last decade living both in and near to London . I'm pretty sports obsessed and have been to loads of different sporting events while I've been here and would be astonished if an NFL team was ever successful here. I can not see them being able to sell anywhere near 70000 tickets for 8 games, even if they made the tickets fairly cheap. Most sports fans I know would attend once or twice as a novelty but are generally happy supporting whichever soccer (sic) or rugby team they follow and would be unlikely to invest significant time or money into another sport. I'm guessing that even the most ardent NFL fans in the UK would struggle to attend more than a couple of games a season. Especially if they inherit a rubbish team.

I'd be willing to bet that a London team would be a disaster in almost every aspect.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DogfaceK":1m02lt6g said:
I agree with this but it has already been tried and failed. Goodell would be better served in getting a team back in Los Angeles and stop with this team in Europe nonsense.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JSeahawks":qcp7y6yb said:
I support Goodell in almost every thing he does. But I think this is a horrible idea. I hate it.

A few years back if you had asked me about the likelihood of an NFL franchise in London, I'd have said, sometime in my lifetime, maybe in the next 25 years. Ask me now, and I'd say we'll see football -- American football -- being played on Sundays at Wembley Stadium within the next 10 years (possibly 5 to 7), and, yes, the Jacksonville Jaguars are the team numerous well-connected NFL people have tabbed as the most likely to land there.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason ... e-best-fit
I pretty much hate Rog Goodell and his long list of dumb ideas, but this one sets a new low!