Texas A&M is now officially an SEC team

taz291819

Reaction score
CPHawk":jl96922q said:
taz291819":jl96922q said:
South Carolina vs. Clemson.
Clemson, the most overrated team year in and out.

The most overrated? They did go 11-2 overall and 7-1 in the ACC last season. Not sure if that qualifies as the most overrated. Still can't stand them though.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The current version of Clemson is pretty darn good. For the last decade or so though, I agree with CP that they've been mostly overrated.

HawkGA

Reaction score
CPHawk":2sklgng8 said:
taz291819":2sklgng8 said:

I think an interesting dynamic happens when a school has an in-state, out of conference rival. They play every year for tradition, sometimes both teams are good (Florida-Florida State) and sometimes only one team is good and some times neither is good. I don't think teams should get "credit" for scheduling those games but I also don't think they should be held up in examples of wimpy scheduling either.

That said, the NCAA needs to make strength of schedule a bigger part of determining post season play. It's great when good teams play each other, particularly in non-regular games. Bama has been doing it lately, usually with ACC teams (though recently they also did Penn State and Michigan). I would love to see them mix in some PAC-12 and some Big-12.

* when I said credit, I really just mean "street cred" or "props" as the kids might say. I'm not suggesting the games not count or anything stupid like that.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Can't blame TAMU for doing this... the SEC is a blood bath, just getting through the conference is hard enough.. then you throw in a road trip to Autzen or LA and there's more to lose than there is to gain IMO.

I think sadly, one negative of the playoff is that we will probably see less big time non-conference matchups because teams will rather try to just win the conference and beat some cupcakes to finish in the Top 4 (or 8 which will soon be the case) than risk messing that all up with an early loss.

pnwhawk25

Reaction score
HawkGA":36gb228m said:
CPHawk":36gb228m said:
taz291819":36gb228m said:

I think an interesting dynamic happens when a school has an in-state, out of conference rival. They play every year for tradition, sometimes both teams are good (Florida-Florida State) and sometimes only one team is good and some times neither is good. I don't think teams should get "credit" for scheduling those games but I also don't think they should be held up in examples of wimpy scheduling either.

That said, the NCAA needs to make strength of schedule a bigger part of determining post season play. It's great when good teams play each other, particularly in non-regular games. Bama has been doing it lately, usually with ACC teams (though recently they also did Penn State and Michigan). I would love to see them mix in some PAC-12 and some Big-12.

* when I said credit, I really just mean "street cred" or "props" as the kids might say. I'm not suggesting the games not count or anything stupid like that.

As a Florida alum I have noticed the negative effects of the BCS and future playoff that has led to weak non-conference games. I agree with your sentiment regarding increased emphasis on strength of schedule. I believe a move toward a system similar to the basketball RPI would encourage stronger non-conference competition, which would only benefit the universities/teams and fans alike.