Star Wars - The Old Republic - NDA Lifted!

Brahn

Reaction score
SWTOR was a fantastic game. I played it with a hardcore guild ranked #1 in the US. I really wish I would of played it under different circumstances as I feel I would probably still be playing it. To any who love Star Wars and enjoy MMORPGs this is a terrific game to play.

CANHawk

Reaction score
TravTex":67b8wp5b said:
Jeeeeeebus.

I just now realized that I'd been eyeballing this thread for damn near TWO YEARS, thinking, "I'm gonna get around to that."

Seriously, I was just thinking, "Wonder if that came out, yet." <-- How badly I need to surrender my nerd card, and an example of how busy it's been.

Yeah, but since you waiter, you get to play for free. Who's the dummy now..?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
CANHawk":2l3g54o6 said:
TravTex":2l3g54o6 said:
Jeeeeeebus.

I just now realized that I'd been eyeballing this thread for damn near TWO YEARS, thinking, "I'm gonna get around to that."

Seriously, I was just thinking, "Wonder if that came out, yet." <-- How badly I need to surrender my nerd card, and an example of how busy it's been.

Yeah, but since you waiter, you get to play for free. Who's the dummy now..?

Trav, you waiter?

CANHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2pbvjxnb said:
KitsapHawk":2pbvjxnb said:
cant believe this turns roland on.

Name an MMO with a more enjoyable leveling experience.

*crickets*

mmmm..... oh I'm leveling... oh, oh, oh.... I'm leveling, I'm leveling, I'm leveling.... oh, oh, oh....OH MY GOD I'M LEVELING! I'M LEVELING!! MAY THE FORCE BE WITH MEEEEEEEEE!!

Galen96

Reaction score
CANHawk":2ftebgqy said:
RolandDeschain":2ftebgqy said:
KitsapHawk":2ftebgqy said:
cant believe this turns roland on.

Name an MMO with a more enjoyable leveling experience.

*crickets*

mmmm..... oh I'm leveling... oh, oh, oh.... I'm leveling, I'm leveling, I'm leveling.... oh, oh, oh....OH MY GOD I'M LEVELING! I'M LEVELING!! MAY THE FORCE BE WITH MEEEEEEEEE!!

Winner of thread!

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
CANHawk":3hjrhd0t said:

Make fun all you want; have you actually leveled a character to 50 in SWTOR? Tons of class-specific dialogue with awesome dark side choices, fully voiced for you and your character. Great story. Leveling is actually enjoyable in SWTOR, unlike pretty much every other MMO ever made by anyone, ever.

Snohomie

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":5cymqjf2 said:
CANHawk":5cymqjf2 said:

Make fun all you want; have you actually leveled a character to 50 in SWTOR? Tons of class-specific dialogue with awesome dark side choices, fully voiced for you and your character. Great story. Leveling is actually enjoyable in SWTOR, unlike pretty much every other MMO ever made by anyone, ever.

That's kind of like being proud that the 2009 Seahawks had one of the best punters in the game. Leveling is not the point of a good MMO.

BTW - TERA was 100x more enjoyable. If you're going to make everyone do the exact same thing, at least make the combat engaging.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If you want to discuss engaging combat, a melee class in Age of Conan and any class in Asheron's Call reign supreme, IMO.

Snohomie

Reaction score
I never understood why AoC's combat didn't become more widespread.

My list of enjoyable leveling experiences goes something like this:

Asheron's Call (combat was ahead of its time, but I spent so much time exploring because you could run away from a LOT of trouble if you wandered into the wrong area... and fighting Olthoi (sp) in the caverns.

TERA (themepark linear world, but the combat is great)

DAoC (another ahead-of-its-time deal, mostly because it found a good solo/group balance back at a time when EQ was the dominant game and you couldn't solo past level 8 or so)

SWTOR would've been great, IMO, 6 years earlier. For an MMO vet like me, I kept saying "I've done this before, it just has a very nice coat of paint"

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Snohomie":2yx7t2fr said:
I never understood why AoC's combat didn't become more widespread.
Same. The whole positioning-yourself-to-always-land-combos-on-the-unshielded-side thing had great potential. It was fun, and VERY easy to see who was stupid and who wasn't.

My list of enjoyable leveling experiences goes something like this:

Asheron's Call (combat was ahead of its time, but I spent so much time exploring because you could run away from a LOT of trouble if you wandered into the wrong area... and fighting Olthoi (sp) in the caverns.
Oh, the memories. Olthoi is the correct spelling. Best mob type ever invented in gaming; were you playing when the Olthoi Queen event happened?

SWTOR would've been great, IMO, 6 years earlier. For an MMO vet like me, I kept saying "I've done this before, it just has a very nice coat of paint"
It's too WoW-like in combat and end game "content", I agree; but like WoW, and most MMOs in general, the biggest failing is that it's based on freaking gear. Everything comes down to improving your stupid stats. Dumbest crap ever, I hate it. In WoW, you couldn't even stop playing for four months or you wouldn't be competitive in PvP anymore because of gear.

We need MMOs to head in the direction of Asheron's Call; gear basically doesn't matter, and you do things in the game for enjoyment, not because you need "teh aw3s0m3 purpz" simply to have a chance at PvP or PvE.

KK84

Reaction score
WOW's popularity ruined MMOs. It attracted companies like Activision and EA which only led to crappy products and horrible customer service. Good thing the consoles are stepping up their game. Oh wait………

Galen96

Reaction score
I still contend that Archeage is bringing Ultima to the modern age. If you haven't read up on it yet, I suggest taking a look... This is what I've been waiting for for quite a few years now.

Snohomie

Reaction score
Roland - I agree with everything and yeah, I remember the Olthoi Queen event. So awesome. AC's special in-game events were as well done as any in the MMO genre.

Favorite experience, in any game, was taking down the White Rabbit for the first time in Frostfell's history. That motha was one nasty bugger. Killed half the server a couple times.

Galen - I have been a huge AA fan for years too. After what Trion did with Defiance, though, I'm a little worried they'll eff it up bigtime. We need AA to save the genre.

(I'm also a big fan of Camelot Unchained. Different type of MMO, but after 13 years I am really bored of killing mobs, especially with tab targeting. Nobody did RvR better than DAoC, and the devs seem get the demand for a world that we "live" (for me it's mostly die) in, rather than a place we travel through and leave)

CANHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3hklklta said:
CANHawk":3hklklta said:

Oh I totally agree with you. I'm actually really digging the story line of this game. I'm blown away by the sheer massiveness of all the dialogue options across all the different character classes, worlds plus the light/dark decisions and their ramifications. It's really an amazing game. I really enjoy the fact it lets me bang my padawan, even if there's no graphic video of it like (M)ass Effect. Plus I have TWO lightsabers that go "wroom, wroom". How fricken cool is THAT!?

I just couldn't resist taking the piss because... well... you just sounded like such a huge nerd fanboy when talking about the "leveling experience". ;)