Let's Talk Mariners

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Some good points tikal, but only Iwakuma and the King are bringing anything in return. Morse, morales and ibanez would be salary dumps with maybe a low level prospect.

If you feel the team needs to rebuild through the farm, and at this point your top prospects are already in the majors, Iwakuma or Hernandez are the only chips that will reestablish that.

However, I'm on the other end, this teams salary is very low, and with four guys coming off the books (including Bay and Morales) its another good summer to go after top free agents. Not the Josh Hamiltons of the world but the Michale Cuddyers (two FAs from last year in different parts of the salary landscape, but with MC clearly outplaying JH). Those mid tier buys can really help stabalize this club competitively. We tried to spent 130 mill last year but are only spending 80. Would love to see 3-5 mid tier FAs come in

m0ng0

Reaction score
I am with you Tical, things are starting to click with a few of these guys, the rotation is starting to solidify, Wilhelmson is starting to find his groove again and the kids are starting to hit. Even Smoak is up to .255

Until Seattle starts WINNING consistently and making the playoffs they just cannot compete for the masher type free agents. We need to find solid gap hitters with speed and thats how you win at Safeco playing more of an aggressive national league style, a small ball approach if you will. These types of free agents do not demand the premium that a Fielder or Hamilton get. Power is going to have to be home grown until they develop a culture of winning and until that happens you plug in guys like Bay, Morse and Ibanez whom IMO have all performed better then expected.

The outfield has been the real tragedy of this season, Guit can't stay healthy, Saunders has been a huge disappointment, when you have Ibanez and Bay as your every day corner outfielders and a converted second basemen playing center you got problems!

I still think they will make .500 this year and that to me is a step in the right direction and reason to feel positive about what is happening here.

I don't think anyone is getting traded and I don't really think they should, like Si said you don't get prospects with Morse or Ibanez and I think they are more valuable on the team then off.

I suppose the next step is the young pitching, when do we see them start them?

I like what I am seeing 8)

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I have some issues with Wedge and his strategy. He likes to send big slow guys to steal and they get injured. Playing the " hot bat" vs statistics. Pulling pitchers at the wrong time.

Z has done a mediocre job, he seems to have issues with talent evaluation IMO and likes to draft players that tend to be more major league ready , but with less upside. I would be ok with keeping them or cutting them loose. I don't see that we are that attractive of a landing spot and could we realistically find better.

Before the trade deadline I would be ok with moving anyone given the right offer. We have some major league average players but no stellar position players. The best players we have are our 1-2 pitchers and I would try to keep those.

This is and has been a bad team. Trying to build around Ackerly, Monterero and Smoak is a flop. We need to spin the wheel again and see what we can get. The younger guys mostly pitchers are 1-2 years away. We can build around the average or better position players we have Zunino, Miller ( I hope) Franklin and Seager.

It hurts but that's they way I see it. Keep adding the missing parts and improve, band aids not work we went down that road already, and the best free agents don't want to come to a losing team and organization.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
Uncle Si":byy7m9l7 said:
Some good points tikal, but only Iwakuma and the King are bringing anything in return. Morse, morales and ibanez would be salary dumps with maybe a low level prospect.

If you feel the team needs to rebuild through the farm, and at this point your top prospects are already in the majors, Iwakuma or Hernandez are the only chips that will reestablish that.

However, I'm on the other end, this teams salary is very low, and with four guys coming off the books (including Bay and Morales) its another good summer to go after top free agents. Not the Josh Hamiltons of the world but the Michale Cuddyers (two FAs from last year in different parts of the salary landscape, but with MC clearly outplaying JH). Those mid tier buys can really help stabalize this club competitively. We tried to spent 130 mill last year but are only spending 80. Would love to see 3-5 mid tier FAs come in

Your spot on. I agree we need to play for free agents next year. And let ours 1year guys finish off contracts and add 3-5, dare I say players like the A's sign. I was hoping we would have landed Seth smith, before he chose the A's.

KK84

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1uf7wvbu said:
Raul sure has been fun to watch. Wonder how long he can keep it up.

I hope he has his career year and then retires as a mariner. Unless someone is desperate enough for a playoff push to give us a good prospect for him.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Tical21":3de5d5kr said:
I'm gonna call my shot right now. I'm sold. This is the group that is going to make it happen (players). Not all of them, mind you, but most of them. After this season, we're going to make the playoffs at least five of the next ten years. Remember this month, and this season. This will be the one we look back on like we do the 2002 Seahawks. Nick Franklin will continue to be the catalyst. Seager will continue to be the rock. Ackley will be a perennial .300 hitter. Zunino is going to be Dan Wilson with a little more pop during his prime. They are still a speedster and a stud middle of the order bat short, but they'll get them. Felix is going to lead a phenomenal young staff for years to come. And there will be hardware.
The Mariners sure are good at making fools out of anyone who believes in them. If it comes true I'll get one of the crackheads at the park to give you a ********.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
Brad miller can play SS just as good as Ryan. Miller and Franklin have great range.

chris98251

Reaction score
Now that the Kids are on the filed I give them two years to make some noise, if you have been patient to this point you have to let them season, picthers are going to find the holes in their game and exploit that coming around and seeing them agaon and they will have to tighten things up. People will bitch that they are flops till that is corrected, why I say two years. In that time a couple more prospects could make it up in pitching and maybe anopther position player or two giving you a young core that learns to play together.

Trading guys just as they begin a major league talent level adjustment is what usually bites us in the ass as they become stars or anchors on other teams rosters. Yeah we suck, but the straw is getting smaller all the time now that we have got younger and hungrier. Versus the exhaust pipe we were using the last 9 years.

The biggest fear I would have as a fan is if Lincoln and company will keep Z around or blow shit up again only to have a new GM trade away the youth for ageing vets to appease the fan base, bring in a few names to gain gate revenue and once again short term hope only to become celler dwellers again for another 10 years.

CPHawk

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":1ikqpowt said:
That's it I'm getting a Seager jersey I hope we hold on too him.

He's as good as gone. Pick a one year wonder at pitcher, and expect him to be traded for said pitcher. The following will happen, Seager will be a solid 300 hitter avg 20-30 hr a year, and the pitcher will stink up Safeco for 3 years.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
CPHawk":2gagdjfb said:
425HawkSpark":2gagdjfb said:

He's as good as gone. Pick a one year wonder at pitcher, and expect him to be traded for said pitcher. The following will happen, Seager will be a solid 300 hitter avg 20-30 hr a year, and the pitcher will stink up Safeco for 3 years.
With the talent of pitching I would say replace with aging vet and you got it right. Sad but true.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
CPHawk":1f77cwys said:
425HawkSpark":1f77cwys said:

There is absolutely no reason to trade Seager. He won't be arbitration eligible until 2015 and for our inability to sign FA batters he will be paid dearly for his services. Our ownership has never had a problem with re-signing players who have shined in our system.

m0ng0

Reaction score
4 of 6 from the Rangers and Reds on the road? I will take that! No way we trade Seager, he is IMO the nucleus of the rebuild, we have young promising arms down on the farm and offense is what we need.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
We keep the young players that are proving themselves and trade off the ones that fail. Seager is part of the core..Smoak is playing better and we don't have a minor leaguer as good as he is , so he stays. Ackerly does not have the arm for the outfield and seems lost. I would be willing to let him go as well as any vets we have that are up at the end of the season. Montero I would see what we could get but inclined to keep him as a DH unless we get a good offer.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Geez at this rate Smoak might actually see light at the end of my doghouse before the end of the year. It won't be pitch black anyways.

Great game Smoak!

Atradees

Reaction score
If we can solidify the pitching rotation well be ok.

We had a handfull of bad performances this year 3-5.

Beat some great teams this year!

Hawker

Reaction score
Seem to be playing a LOT more consistent ball here right into the all-star break. Teams usually fall apart or get hot immediately after the break, so here is to hoping for the latter. A .500 season is still a flickering hope (we've been playing .500 ball for about a month now), we just need to go on a tear and get back into mediocrity.