Irvin to OLBer

DavidSeven

Reaction score
oasis":gsg2hf3d said:
My concern is that while Irvin is getting OLB reps in training camp, I assume Malcolm Smith is running with the second team.

So then what happens in games 1-4, when Smith is lacking reps with the 1st-team defense?

Smith started three games last season when Hill was injured and played pretty damn well. I don't see how this situation would be any different. This is also being described as a competition between the two, so I'm sure both will get reps with the 1st-team during training camp and pre-season.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
hawker84":3g2podpq said:
I love it, i don't see him as a legit DE, too small... in order to succeed there, he'd really need to develope solid moves other than the bull and speed rush.. I love the move... How is his coverage skills though?

This makes NO sense. So you saying Chris Clemmons is "too small"? The 2, as of last year, were seperated by a mere 5 pounds. Totally ridiculous.

Even now this is what is listed on the official site:

91 Clemons, Chris DE 6-3, 254, 31, 10 Georgia
51 Irvin, Bruce DE 6-3, 248, 25, 2 West Virginia

NFL_Football2013

Reaction score
Do you think carrol made a mistake? even trying him at D-Line, considering his smaller size. Seems like a wasted season.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":dty8sfao said:
DavidSeven":dty8sfao said:
I don't think the move has as much to do with Bruce's strengths and weaknesses as it does our increased depth on defense. Last year, we were thin at DE. This year, we've loaded up with the additions of Avril and Bennett. Bruce has too much unique talent to keep him off the field, so Pete's going to find a way to get these guys looks. Theoretically, with Bruce at OLB, we could have a package that features Clemons, Avril, Bennett and Bruce on the field at the same time. Can you imagine being an opposing QB or O-lineman in that situation? Also, OP's quote points out that he'll still get looks at the DE position in obvious passing situations, so he still retains his role from his rookie season. Looks like we're training him to be an even more versatile weapon on D.
:13:

I see it as putting him in a "Von Miller" Type role. Where he can play upright on early down and also put his hand in the dirt on passing situations. I don't really see this as news, It was assumed for 2 months now.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
NFL_Football2013":1ue5etkj said:
Do you think carrol made a mistake? even trying him at D-Line, considering his smaller size. Seems like a wasted season.

How is 9.5 (including playoffs) sacks a wasted season, with a year refining his pass-rushing skills?

pehawk

Reaction score
The people saying "see, told ya he cant play DE" are making me laugh. This regime is ALWAYS thinking a season or two ahead. Carpenter played RT his first year, even though the Seahawks specifically worked him out and always planned for him to play guard. He was only at RT in year one to get him on the field. Get the best talent on the field, regardless of position. You were probably the same people saying "Pete doesn't understand QB's or passing attacks" in season one and two.

Maybe some of you are just too acustom to Holmgren who did the opposite; fill positions regardless of the talent. (Seneca, Leonard Weaver, etc).

IMO, Irvin has always been thought of as a Clay Mathews, Von Miller type weapon defensively. They simply didn't have the depth to do that last year.

Knuckleheads....

TCS

Reaction score
Physically, I think Irvin can play both positions. His football acumen IMO, is what I would question while playing OLB. It would help if they are only going to blitz him from the OLB spot, but opposing QB's aren't stupid, nor are their coordinators. I'm sure if this were the case, only blitzing Irvin from the OLB spot, opposing teams would quickly learn to call an audible to attack Irvin either in coverage or with misdirection plays to challenge mental awareness. With that said, Irvin could very well be good in coverage, I just don't know.

Anyone ever seen him in coverage? Because I can't remember ever seeing him (As a Hawk) cover anyone. College?

Go Hawks!

tcs

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1dsxj8l9 said:
I see it as putting him in a "Von Miller" Type role. Where he can play upright on early down and also put his hand in the dirt on passing situations. I don't really see this as news, It was assumed for 2 months now.

I'll check with you before posting anything next time.

pehawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":qqq2in0k said:
jlwaters1":qqq2in0k said:

I'll check with you before posting anything next time.

Wait, you haven't been already? It's clearly listed within the Seahawks.net doctrine.

NFL_Football2013

Reaction score
jlwaters1":15sak2eg said:
NFL_Football2013":15sak2eg said:

How is 9.5 (including playoffs) sacks a wasted season, with a year refining his pass-rushing skills?

its a wasted season, he wasnt learning to be a stand up player, how to play linebacker, how to blitz as a linebacker, how to cover zone/man. Being on the Dline was teaching him to play a different style of pass rushing and not learning how to cover.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
NFL_Football2013":3ghi3icx said:
jlwaters1":3ghi3icx said:
NFL_Football2013":3ghi3icx said:

its a wasted season, he wasnt learning to be a stand up player, how to play linebacker, how to blitz as a linebacker, how to cover zone/man. Being on the Dline was teaching him to play a different style of pass rushing and not learning how to cover.

He won't be asked to cover much. In addition to that the guy was originally a safety. Im sure he has some understanding of it.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I think it is a great idea. Remember Irvin in community college played safety(!). He has excellent speed and seems to have good awareness. Putting him with a quick DE (Bennett , Clem, Cliff A. Etc ) overloading one side will cause fits.

There have been quit a few few DE/LB over the year. The Raiders had one years ago that caused us fits Tony Cline I think was his name. lawrence taylor was a DL man in College and only played his last college years as a LB. he could be a better Von Miller...it will be fun to find out at least !

NFL_Football2013

Reaction score
He won't be asked to cover much. In addition to that the guy was originally a safety. Im sure he has some understanding of it.[/quote]

so now that other teams know that he wont be covering much, wont they just adjust protection because they know he is coming, in a 3-4 look it gives you an advantage of surprise of who the 4th rusher will be.

Covering as an OLB is different than covering as a Safety. The time he doenst rush and has to cover Jimmy graham, vernon davis etc...... then what, i dont think his community college coverage skills will suffice.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
NFL_Football2013":ofdmdlh2 said:
He won't be asked to cover much. In addition to that the guy was originally a safety. Im sure he has some understanding of it.

so now that other teams know that he wont be covering much, wont they just adjust protection because they know he is coming, in a 3-4 look it gives you an advantage of surprise of who the 4th rusher will be.[/quote]

I think your overthinking things. Most 3-4 OLB's rush the majority of the time. So it's not that big of a deal. I recall a interview with PC during OTA's talking about Irvin and dropping coverage and he made it sound as if Irvin was picking up that part of the game quickly.

I'm certainly excited to see how it all shakes out this preseason. The LBer's and DL should really be interesting to watch this preseason-- How will Toomer, Bradford, Morgan fit into things? What roles will the rookie DT's claim by the end of training camp?

NFL_Football2013

Reaction score
Happypuppy":3khj96tf said:
I think it is a great idea. Remember Irvin in community college played safety(!). He has excellent speed and seems to have good awareness. Putting him with a quick DE (Bennett , Clem, Cliff A. Etc ) overloading one side will cause fits.

There have been quit a few few DE/LB over the year. The Raisers had one years ago that caused us fits Tony Cline I think was his name. lawrence taylor was a DL man in College and only played his last college years as a LB. he could be a better Von Miller...it will be fun to find out at least !

if he could be a better von miller, why not start him out as an LB to begin with?
and really tony cline......thats the best example we can hope for?

hawker84

Reaction score
jlwaters1":e5td337v said:
hawker84":e5td337v said:
I love it, i don't see him as a legit DE, too small... in order to succeed there, he'd really need to develope solid moves other than the bull and speed rush.. I love the move... How is his coverage skills though?

This makes NO sense. So you saying Chris Clemmons is "too small"? The 2, as of last year, were seperated by a mere 5 pounds. Totally ridiculous.

Even now this is what is listed on the official site:

91 Clemons, Chris DE 6-3, 254, 31, 10 Georgia
51 Irvin, Bruce DE 6-3, 248, 25, 2 West Virginia

you obviously didn't bother to read the rest of my post.. i'll paraphrase.. In order for him to further succeed at DE at his size , he'd need to adapt more moves than just the speed and bull rush, Clemons has a variety of moves he uses, thus enjoyed more success at the position at his current weight..

NFL_Football2013

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2u97cscr said:
NFL_Football2013":2u97cscr said:

so now that other teams know that he wont be covering much, wont they just adjust protection because they know he is coming, in a 3-4 look it gives you an advantage of surprise of who the 4th rusher will be.

I think your overthinking things. Most 3-4 OLB's rush the majority of the time. So it's not that big of a deal. I recall a interview with PC during OTA's talking about Irvin and dropping coverage and he made it sound as if Irvin was picking up that part of the game quickly.

I'm certainly excited to see how it all shakes out this preseason. The LBer's and DL should really be interesting to watch this preseason-- How will Toomer, Bradford, Morgan fit into things? What roles will the rookie DT's claim by the end of training camp?[/quote]

you have to be able to set the edge as an OLB against the run as well, 3-4 olbs cant just pin their ears back and rush, you would get exposed. and you have to mix up who rushes and who doesnt.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
NFL_Football2013":2z6ajjhl said:

Covering as an OLB is different than covering as a Safety. The time he doenst rush and has to cover Jimmy graham, vernon davis etc...... then what, i dont think his community college coverage skills will suffice.

If the opposing team has to keep one extra man in to block, that's one less person who's going across the middle.

And while I don't think Seattle is going to ask to him to cover Graham or Davis (or even Jared Cook), I bet he has the speed to keep up with those guys at the very least.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I say, "why not"? The signings of Avril and Bennett gives us the flexibility to do some creative things.

My biggest concern with Irvin at the Sam is teams running the ball right at him.

NFL_Football2013

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3cg0rcwc said:
I say, "why not"? The signings of Avril and Bennett gives us the flexibility to do some creative things.

My biggest concern with Irvin at the Sam is teams running the ball right at him.

...this
they ran at him as a DE, if they run at him as an OLB, he wont be able to set the edge and bye bye