Edit: What would be the timeline for return from Achilles?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Had McCoy not been IR'd (thanks for catching my goof :p ) Thanksgiving at the earliest, and that probably goes for Michael Crabtree too since his tear happened about the same time as Anthony's. That means there is a slim chance that Crabtree could be back for the December 8 game in San Francisco. But even if he does make it back, it's doubtful he will be up to speed physically as even Terrell Suggs struggled in his early return to the Ravens.

In early February 2011 Demaryius Thomas tore his Achilles but was able to make it back for the start of the 2011 football season. Although he was back a mere 7 months after his injury and he managed to avoid the PUP list, Thomas still wasn't in "football shape." he only started 5 games that season, accumulating 32 receptions for 551 yards and 4 TDs. So if i'm a 49er fan (easy now, I'm not! :p ), I wouldn't get my hopes up.

The same goes for Anthony McCoy, and Crabtree but one has to wonder if the injury is worse for a receiver than it is for a blocking tight end. Either way the injury isn't as devastating as it once was. I found a great article about Achilles injury and recovery in the sacramento bee that goes in to the injury, albeit where it concerns Crabtree. Some great excerpts from the story:

"A decade ago, an Achilles' tendon tear was a diagnosis that made NFL team doctors shudder.It typically meant an arduous, year-long recovery, and even then, there was a one-in-three chance the patient never would play again.

"It used to be that Achilles' patients would be in a cast for six weeks after surgery, which caused the calf muscle to atrophy and led to a longer recovery. Now a patient is in a walking boot two weeks following the procedure. At six weeks - about where Crabtree is now - he might be able to put weight on the foot for the first time.

"Every tear is a little different," said Dr. Dan Solomon, an orthopedic surgeon with Marin Orthopedics and Sports Medicine in Novato, "but you try to get as aggressive as you can with the recovery."

"One of the reasons Achilles' tears can take so long to heal - indeed why the tendon rips in the first place - is blood flow is poor in that area. With someone like Crabtree or Lakers star Kobe Bryant, who tore his Achilles' in April, doctors typically use platelet-rich plasma (PRP) to speed healing. A small amount of blood taken from the patient is "spun down" in a centrifuge so the platelet cells, which help form blood clots, are isolated. They are then applied to the wound in the hope that it stimulates healing."

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/06/21/5515478/49ers-crabtree-others-can-return.html

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Is the team planning on having him return?

I know he was waived injured , cleared waivers and thus reverted to IR. Is it possible for him to be returned from IR if he wasn't placed on recallable IR or does that not even matter?

Would someone more familiar with the specific rule please advise what"s the answer to this situation.