Carpenter Benching 445 lbs

Blitzer88

Reaction score
His strength has never been the question, his ability to stay on the field is what remains to be seen.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
nsport":3qsq5ty9 said:
We've all said this a hundred times - but after a full roster rebuild, don't we have unwavering faith in our FO?

I would say since Carpenter is still here, he must be doing some things right. Enough so, that it's worth taking the time to bring him to an elite level. I think it's conjecture on what those things could be - but throw out a few of them:
- Playbook knowledge
- Thinks the right way
- Done everything that's asked / great attitude
- Workouts / Weight control / Size
- Flexibility (RT, OG)
- Practices show improvement
- Rapport with teammates

I think we all remember him being road graded in pass protection his rookie year. Is that realistic to think he should have been ready? Maybe! But the fact he's still here means something.

'Road graded' in pass protection? Really?! :???:

nategreat

Reaction score
HawkWow":3b6l50yy said:
I realized after posting that, it probably sounded arrogant and I'd likely take some heat.
No arrogance here..... more like flat on my back, facing another major surgery because of lifting heavy. I miss it, I'm medicated and I made the mistake of posting while medicated. Thanks for stepping on my neck.. ;)

Back on topic...If he makes 53, I am confident this will be Carpenter's break out year. Why? Because he won't make 53 if PC and Cable think it won't be his break out year. If he succeeds, it will be like a bonus at this point.

Haha just giving you a hard time. I agree about Carp- this could very well be his breakout year, and it's fun imagining a healthy left side of the line consisting of Okung, Carpenter, and Unger. Could potentially be the best left side in football.

HawkWow

Reaction score
nategreat":kvgvv215 said:
HawkWow":kvgvv215 said:
I realized after posting that, it probably sounded arrogant and I'd likely take some heat.
No arrogance here..... more like flat on my back, facing another major surgery because of lifting heavy. I miss it, I'm medicated and I made the mistake of posting while medicated. Thanks for stepping on my neck.. ;)

Back on topic...If he makes 53, I am confident this will be Carpenter's break out year. Why? Because he won't make 53 if PC and Cable think it won't be his break out year. If he succeeds, it will be like a bonus at this point.

Haha just giving you a hard time. I agree about Carp- this could very well be his breakout year, and it's fun imagining a healthy left side of the line consisting of Okung, Carpenter, and Unger. Could potentially be the best left side in football.

..."best left side in football". Thanks. I was thinking it, but wanted someone else to say it. ;)

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
nategreat":1a57j5xh said:
HawkWow":1a57j5xh said:

I would LOVE to see this but I remain cautiously optimistic. Okung and Unger came around eventually, so hope springs eternal.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
HawkWow":2dpu3y6x said:
Looks like 405 from my vantage.

Done that.
Nice!

But aren't those 4 fiftys on eafh side plus I see a smaller one on the right. 15#? Plus the bar..... it could be 445#... helluva lift either way.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
Atradees":2p0720sf said:
Unfortunately that's only 50% of his weight.
Sh*t, at almost 900# that should be an amazing blocker!! His nickname is now "The Monument"

nsport

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2z4s9nrt said:
'Road graded' in pass protection? Really?! :???:

Yea - they pushed him back right into the quarterback with regularity.... it was sad to watch. Maybe a better term is "unable to stop the bull rush"

Was looking for videos demonstrating it - but found this which I thought was telling:
[youtube]q3eqINjuXz0[/youtube]

sutz

Reaction score
I'm with the 'the coaches must see something in him to keep him around" crowd. I also think that it takes a couple of years, and it could be longer if injuries are involved.

One indicator of how the FO/coaches feel is that they didn't go out of their way to pick his replacement, either in FA or the '12 draft. It would seem that if they had major concerns, they would have drafted OL in the 2nd/3rd round, instead of waiting to pick up 3rd day projects like they did. Or made a move there, instead of skill position players like Harvin and Willson.

One other thing is that we may now have enough OL depth to let this situation play out a little longer. IMHO, the risk is pretty low that hanging on to Carp will be a major drag on the team. We did pretty well without him, and Cable seems to have a knack for coaching up guys to step in to cover for the inevitable injuries.

I'm in favor of letting him continue to work to get back on the field. I think he could eventually be a major asset.

nsport

Reaction score
sutz":3wiubbqg said:
I'm with the 'the coaches must see something in him to keep him around" crowd. I also think that it takes a couple of years, and it could be longer if injuries are involved.

One indicator of how the FO/coaches feel is that they didn't go out of their way to pick his replacement, either in FA or the '12 draft. It would seem that if they had major concerns, they would have drafted OL in the 2nd/3rd round, instead of waiting to pick up 3rd day projects like they did. Or made a move there, instead of skill position players like Harvin and Willson.

One other thing is that we may now have enough OL depth to let this situation play out a little longer. IMHO, the risk is pretty low that hanging on to Carp will be a major drag on the team. We did pretty well without him, and Cable seems to have a knack for coaching up guys to step in to cover for the inevitable injuries.

I'm in favor of letting him continue to work to get back on the field. I think he could eventually be a major asset.

I like the cut of your jib....

HawkWow

Reaction score
JaiSeaSea":15fefsql said:
HawkWow":15fefsql said:

Done that.
Nice!

But aren't those 4 fiftys on eafh side plus I see a smaller one on the right. 15#? Plus the bar..... it could be 445#... helluva lift either way.

Good eye...'I stand erected' (not physically but figuratively).

I sincerely hope, for his sake, that he makes the most of this opportunity. His body will start betraying him by his 35th birthday. He'll be injecting so much cortisone and eating so many pain killers that he'll be pouring milk and sugar over them for breakfast. But if he becomes all he is capable of, the pain will be worth it (thinks me). Tax will always get paid, which is fine, as long as some profit remains thereafter. I wish him well both in and out of the uniform.

445 lbs? Uh-uh...never saw that crazy weight. ; )

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
Didn't Chris Spencer bench a lot too? Hope he gets back into playing shape.

Seeker

Reaction score
Carp is going to break someone, in half this season.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
HawkWow":10jf8rd7 said:

Done that.

He's got four 45's and two 10's on each side - that's 445. It'd be cooler without the bro spot from the trainer. Based on his bar speed and reps he can do way more than 445 for his 1RM. He's not going to win any powerlifting meets given his weight but the guy is strong.

Now I'd like to see him squat. A big boy like him should be able to squat 600 pounds raw no problem.

HawkWow

Reaction score
BeMorePunk (love the name)...Wouldn't that add up to 425?

Regardless, it does not detract from your point: the guy is clearly a monster (especially if we're talking about multiple reps, as in more than 1).

I remember Steve Emtman threw around some incredible weight in his day. Brian Habib as well (Go Dawgs).

HawkWow

Reaction score
vanillasuede":2e6qwydg said:
Unfortunately, Carpenter is a bust.

Your use of the word "Unfortunately" would only hold true if you were associated with the Seahawk org., a Carpenter family member or..... a fan of the team.

Fortunately, it is too early to be calling Carpenter a bust. Log in again this time next year so we can revisit the subject. Thanks (well) in advance.

nsport

Reaction score
HawkWow":2woilftd said:
BeMorePunk (love the name)...Wouldn't that add up to 425?

Regardless, it does not detract from your point: the guy is clearly a monster (especially if we're talking about multiple reps, as in more than 1).

I remember Steve Emtman threw around some incredible weight in his day. Brian Habib as well (Go Dawgs).

Sorry - math geek protruding right now... me likes accuracy:

45 X 8 = 360
10 X 4 = 40
Bar = 45
==========
Total: 445