Chris Harper - WR (Kansas State)

gmor

Reaction score
Frozenropers":3b6k5tk4 said:
Unfortunately, if Swope has already had 4 or 5 concussions in college he won't last in the NFL. He may be a good talent, but so was Jahvid Best. Seattle wasn't the only team to pass on Swope.

Harper will be good and brings a physicality to our WR corps that we don't currently have.

Swope duplicated guys we already had. Harper added depth to other areas.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1gwaa6zo said:
godawg":1gwaa6zo said:
With Kris Durham and others, this FO has not distinguished itself in choosing receivers, and perhaps Kearly has a better eye for this than John Schneider.

Nevertheless, I see this pick as a branding pick, a statement. The Seahawks are all about punishing, smash mouth football. Not only will our defense beat the crap out of you and our running backs run over and through you, but even our wide receivers will be doling out the pain. Anquan Boldin wears his defenders out. I hope Harper is even close to that.

Assinine statement. UNder PC and JS they've drafted 2 WR's (not counting 2013 draft)- Tate (round 2) Durham (Round 4) Tate, would be considered a hit, IMO. He's shown to be a impactful playmaker. Durham wasn't nearly physical enough and was discarded.

In terms of hits on WR. (Players who've started and contributed significantly) JS has the following:

Mike WIlliams (2010 hit), Tate (hit), Baldwin (hit), Meawhile Kearse also contributed to the team as a UNFA in a limited role.

Misses- Durham (4th round miss) and Lockette who was undrafted (so that really doesn't count) . I think it's silly to say try to say that JS has done a bad job picking up WR talent.

I'd also add, that Seattle really does seem to consider draft capital and salary cap capital to be two halves of the whole.

They added Rice and Miller using UFA cap money. They added Harvin using both draft and cap capital. And they used considerable capital on Tate as well.

I don't think it unreasonable to think that Seattle has opted to go a different route in terms of building their WR corps than using more high first round picks on WRs. And it makes total sense really. You simply can't maintain a balanced roster if you over commit all of your roster capital on one position.

Seattle has already paid an enormous price for the WR corps they have. They aren't in a position to use high draft picks on it at least until Rice's contract is reduced.

Also, it's probably worth mentioning, that while Rice is being paid mega dollars this year and next, I think it's safe to assume that he's not going to command but a minor fraction of his current salary even on the open market. We presume that we'll have to let Rice go because he'll be too expensive. But his future salary hit is likely to be far less than half of what we're paying him now. And he'll still be this side of 30 in terms of age. I could easily see Seattle being in a position to actually resign Sidney for a 3-4M/yr deal once this one expires.

Age, statistical decline and injury history are going to be against him when he tries to get a new deal. Rice leaving isn't a predetermined fate.

kearly

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":7mcu2b8t said:
I smell BACK-PEDAL. You went from hating him to now "pete will make this pick work".

Clearly Pete didn't think Harrisons tape was better than Harpers. That is why Harper was picked in the 4th. I can't stress enough, PC and JS do this for a living, nobody on this message board does.

Not really. Harper is my least favorite pick in the draft for Seattle, and it's not even close. I just have faith in our coaching staff. I hated the KJ Wright pick too and they got more out of him than I thought possible.

kearly

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1m3c35n5 said:
The listing of those particular measurables does not sound like BMW to me. Mark Harrison would have perhaps been more like a BMW. I think they're looking for guys that excel in YAC. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall that as the memorable part of BMW's game. I always thought we would see much more out of Harper at K-State. The thought of him getting on the same page with RW and getting him the ball in space.... :th2thumbs:

If you want a YAC WR, that's not Harper. He separates about as well as BMW did (not very well) and is almost always tackled immediately after the catch.

I think you bring up a great point though regarding his lower body strength and how that might help him combat press coverage. Press Coverage will probably be widespread across the league in a few years so targeting receivers that can beat it makes sense.

Harper's tape against Baylor is just awful, it's actually even worse as I watched it today for the 3rd time. Almost every play he has major negatives. I had forgotten is how fumble prone he was in that Baylor game. This is why I say I trust Pete, because T-Sizzle is right- Pete is 100 times smarter than I am- so there's no way Pete would miss these obvious flaws. He has a plan in mind. If that plan doesn't work he just drafted a lousy receiver, but given his track record it probably will.

Oh and Sizzle, I don't really give a shit that we didn't draft the receivers I wanted. Honestly. My expectation going in was that we might not draft a receiver at all. I was very surprised when Seattle pulled the trigger on a WR in round 4. John Schneider said after the Harvin trade that Seattle wasn't looking at WRs all that seriously before the trade was made, so I had pretty much resigned myself to not getting guys like Swope, Bailey, Woods, Smith, Harrison, et al. The last few days before the draft I was just hoping we might get someone like Terrell Sinkfield in the 6th round.

That plus, in the case of Ryan Swope specifically, I knew he was off the table the instant the Harvin trade happened. Swope can play outside, but he's best in the slot and Harvin would obviously have that position locked down long term. Swope's draft grade is very different if you only need him as an outside WR.

Thread Killer

Reaction score
Harper seems like he could develop into a pretty good Anquan Boldin type WR to me. I thought it was a great pick.

BTW, Swoope still hasn't even been cleared to workout yet. Couldn't even make Fitzgerald's mini-camp with the rest of the offensive playmakers.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Thread Killer":uw8ztqz0 said:
Harper seems like he could develop into a pretty good Anquan Boldin type WR to me. I thought it was a great pick.

BTW, Swoope still hasn't even been cleared to workout yet. Couldn't even make Fitzgerald's mini-camp with the rest of the offensive playmakers.
:les:

cover-2

Reaction score
kearly":1ea1eqcn said:
TeamoftheCentury":1ea1eqcn said:
The listing of those particular measurables does not sound like BMW to me. Mark Harrison would have perhaps been more like a BMW. I think they're looking for guys that excel in YAC. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall that as the memorable part of BMW's game. I always thought we would see much more out of Harper at K-State. The thought of him getting on the same page with RW and getting him the ball in space.... :th2thumbs:

If you want a YAC WR, that's not Harper. He separates about as well as BMW did (not very well) and is almost always tackled immediately after the catch.

I think you bring up a great point though regarding his lower body strength and how that might help him combat press coverage. Press Coverage will probably be widespread across the league in a few years so targeting receivers that can beat it makes sense.

Harper's tape against Baylor is just awful, it's actually even worse as I watched it today for the 3rd time. Almost every play he has major negatives. I had forgotten is how fumble prone he was in that Baylor game. This is why I say I trust Pete, because T-Sizzle is right- Pete is 100 times smarter than I am- so there's no way Pete would miss these obvious flaws. He has a plan in mind. If that plan doesn't work he just drafted a lousy receiver, but given his track record it probably will.

Oh and Sizzle, I don't really give a shit that we didn't draft the receivers I wanted. Honestly. My expectation going in was that we might not draft a receiver at all. I was very surprised when Seattle pulled the trigger on a WR in round 4. John Schneider said after the Harvin trade that Seattle wasn't looking at WRs all that seriously before the trade was made, so I had pretty much resigned myself to not getting guys like Swope, Bailey, Woods, Smith, Harrison, et al. The last few days before the draft I was just hoping we might get someone like Terrell Sinkfield in the 6th round.

That plus, in the case of Ryan Swope specifically, I knew he was off the table the instant the Harvin trade happened. Swope can play outside, but he's best in the slot and Harvin would obviously have that position locked down long term. Swope's draft grade is very different if you only need him as an outside WR.

You seem to have an overly critical evaluation of scouting one or two games of his on youtube. I watched 4 or 5 of his games last year and he showed an ability to get yards after contact. While he is not a burner, he will break tackles to get some extra yards.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Three pages of a thread where we are talking about the uncertainty of a draft pick that most of us have never actually seen play and have only seen a few minutes of highlights. The coaching staff and FO undoubtedly have watched more than on game of his and have seen him practice as both coaches and observers.

What there is to like is his size and physicality, but RAC doesn't appear to be his strong suit. He tested well with SPARQ results and appears to have solid understanding of the game having been a QB. He has been quite quiet so far in OTA situations but he's a rookie and may project better with pads on. For sure he's different than most of the other WRs the team has here now. I truly hope his hands turn out to be better than shown on his highlite films. He seems to almost be a WR in TE frame with WR speed and mobility.

Like several others here I was a bit surprised by the pick but have learned the FO is looking for special attributes in players and clearly he's got size combined with speed. There were quite few other WRs I thought the team might have chosen over Harper but I remain curious as to how they plan to use him.

Subzero717

Reaction score
gmor":2j6t1mnm said:
Frozenropers":2j6t1mnm said:
Unfortunately, if Swope has already had 4 or 5 concussions in college he won't last in the NFL. He may be a good talent, but so was Jahvid Best. Seattle wasn't the only team to pass on Swope.

Harper will be good and brings a physicality to our WR corps that we don't currently have.

Swope duplicated guys we already had. Harper added depth to other areas.

This is my line of thinking on why we took Harper. Nevermind Swope. I was aware of his health issues already.

drrew

Reaction score
And Swope's career is essentially over.....just placed on the reserve/retired list by the Cardinals.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Swope can't clear their medical b/c of his numerous concussions.

What a shame b/c he is a talented WR who may never make it to the NFL as a result.