Expectations for the 2013 season?

Cartire

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":o2qc7s51 said:
Do you even know how to do basic math? Ok, on that pic you just posted, San Diego has a BETTER winning percentage at 10am than they do at 1pm. 46.9% of 10am games were wins, compared to 45.7% of 1pm games being wins. SF and Oakland are more serious outliers, but a tiny difference for the Seahawks and the Chargers winning MORE at 10am pretty much blow it right out of the water as far as "proof" goes.

SF: 28.3% at 10am, 52.6% at 1pm.
Oakland: 27.7% at 10am, 37.0% at 1pm.
Arizona: 25.8% at 10am, 32.2% at 1pm.

Notice the only 3 that had noticeable discrepancies are also teams that sucked for almost every single one of the years in question, too.

Believe what you want.

Man, ranking on my math when i Clearly said all West teams as a whole. Pretty sure I didnt say anything about just SD.

And what does a team being horrible have to do with more losses at 10am vs less losses at 1pm. Its the same team both times, right.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
my expectations for 2013 are a combination of two slogans - "WIN FOREVER" and "EARN EVERYTHING".

WIN EVERYTHING FOREVER.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If your team sucks, small problems of all kinds tend to be exacerbated. If your team is elite, small problems tend to be largely irrelevant. Ignore the correlation as you wish.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I think we run the ball a lot and lead the league in rushing. We have returning starters across the offensive line and more weapons in the backfield than ever.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
fenderbender123":r15nwi9y said:
We have returning starters across the offensive line

I'd say that's only a good thing for half of the O-line, lol. I really hope Moffitt comes back, and Carp stays healthy and playing @ guard.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":183ds843 said:
If your team sucks, small problems of all kinds tend to be exacerbated. If your team is elite, small problems tend to be largely irrelevant. Ignore the correlation as you wish.

San Francisco was arguably the most complete team in the NFL last year, out of the AFC top 4, Denver was the only team that could have edged them out of being favored in the Superbowl. Despite staying on the East Coast the whole week when they had 2 east coast road games, they were 1-2 when playing at 10 AM Pacific, their lone victory coming against the disaster that was the Jets. Flexing bailed them out of a few 10 am matchups, but by the time we can get flexed out of a 10 AM game this year, we will have already played our toughest early matchups.

The only reason that is irrelevant is because of the smaller sample size of 10 AM Pacific games they participated in. Win just one of our 10 AM defensive meltdowns vs the Lions or the Dolphins, and Seattle would have won the #2 seed (imagine the exponential increase in Packer hate!).

I don't write off those 5 future Seahawk games as an 0-5 failure, but they are concerning no matter how dominant I think our 2013 team will be. Drop a few too many and SF can cupcake their way to a division title once again by virtue of their big market must succeed scheduling (not being sarcastic here either- just look at the entitlement syndrome Packer trolls are infected with).

snackdaddy

Reaction score
Seahawks are a solid team on both sides of the ball. Good lines. Good RB. Very good CB's. QB was a pleasant surprise last season.

But there is one thing to remember. History has shown that defenses eventually find a way to slow down the latest fad when it comes to offenses. The running QB running a read option seems to be the flavor of the month. What would happen if defenses figure out ways to keep Russell Wilson, Colin Kapernick, RGIII and other running QB's in the pocket? Making them beat them with their arms and not their legs? Will they become proficient pocket passers?

Look at the final 4 teams last year. 3 of the 4 teams had QB's who are primarily pocket passers. I don't think thats a coincidence. While its nice to have a guy who can escape the pass rush, its even better to have a guy who can sit there, read defenses, make good decisions and make accurate throws. Why are the Patriots always a playoff team? It hasn't been their defense lately. Why did the Broncos all of a sudden become a superbowl contender? Why did Joe Flacco lead his team to a championship? Good pocket passers, thats why.

If defenses make Wilson stay in the pocket, can he succeed? Thats a question that remains to be seen.

Sac

Reaction score
Snackdaddy, RW is already a proficient pocket passer. The read option wasn't a main staple of our offense, it was a sparingly used change up to our base offense.

The Patriots are always in it because their division had been a joke for a decade, and because Tom Brady.

The Broncos got good because the rest of their team was actually solid in spite of Tim Tebow.

Good QBs are essential, I agree. But to say RW hasn't shown he can throw from the pocket shows how little you've actually seen him play.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
snackdaddy":1xzp1ejy said:
Look at the final 4 teams last year. 3 of the 4 teams had QB's who are primarily pocket passers. I don't think thats a coincidence. While its nice to have a guy who can escape the pass rush, its even better to have a guy who can sit there, read defenses, make good decisions and make accurate throws. Why are the Patriots always a playoff team? It hasn't been their defense lately. Why did the Broncos all of a sudden become a superbowl contender? Why did Joe Flacco lead his team to a championship? Good pocket passers, thats why.

If defenses make Wilson stay in the pocket, can he succeed? Thats a question that remains to be seen.

"Remains to be seen"? You haven't been paying attention to Wilson this past year, then. :177692:

Yes, he can escape pressure. But his pocket passer rating is near the top in the league over the entire season. How much more "seeing" would you need to be convinced the guy can get it done? SMH...

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":hrnxpqrt said:
Snackdaddy, RW is already a proficient pocket passer. The read option wasn't a main staple of our offense, it was a sparingly used change up to our base offense.

The Patriots are always in it because their division had been a joke for a decade, and because Tom Brady.

The Broncos got good because the rest of their team was actually solid in spite of Tim Tebow.

Good QBs are essential, I agree. But to say RW hasn't shown he can throw from the pocket shows how little you've actually seen him play.

Sorry , Sac, should have read your post first, and just let you state the obvious.

snackdaddy

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2a57zhnl said:

You could be right. But me, I want to see more than one season. He won't be catching teams by surprise. He repeats what he did last season, then I'll be a believer. For now, its wait and see. I've seen a lot of sophomore slumps over the years in several sports.

He has one thing in his favor. He has a good running game and good protection. And a good defense. He won't have to do it all by himself like Drew Brees in New Orleans tried last season.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3auznzjl said:
fenderbender123":3auznzjl said:
We have returning starters across the offensive line

I'd say that's only a good thing for half of the O-line, lol. I really hope Moffitt comes back, and Carp stays healthy and playing @ guard.

I hear ya, our line is far from perfect but I think they do a good job at run blocking.

Sac

Reaction score
Don't be a cliche' machine, dude. There are myriad (hi Zeb!) reasons to believe he won't slump.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
snackdaddy":3q2a58db said:
SacHawk2.0":3q2a58db said:

You could be right. But me, I want to see more than one season. He won't be catching teams by surprise. He repeats what he did last season, then I'll be a believer. For now, its wait and see. I've seen a lot of sophomore slumps over the years in several sports.

He has one thing in his favor. He has a good running game and good protection. And a good defense. He won't have to do it all by himself like Drew Brees in New Orleans tried last season.

As often as the Hawks ran the read-option, people still think its the teams bread and butter - its not.

Several posts over the last couple weeks have addressed the sophomore slump idea, and it's largely a myth. With Luck, RG3, Wilson, and Kaep, it'll cease being spoken of altogether.

One thing in his favor... and you list three? He has a great running game around him, agreed, and good run-blocking for it. The defense was solid until the last minute of a few unmentionable games.

But good protection? I'd say it was adequate most of the time, but his ability to scramble out of pressure extended many plays that would have got any other QB leveled. With RW, it's the whole package. His college tape looks just the same as his preseason work and entire season last year. If there's a breakdown, it won't be Wilson.

seahawkswin1

Reaction score
One thing about the read option that people forget. New England's best runs came out of the same formation, except they didn't have the threat of a running quaterack. Tom Brady would line up in the shotgun and hand it off. With Brady back there the defensive end can just crash down and help on the running back. With Wilson if the D-end starts crashing down Wilson will run. So early in the game The D-end will stay at home and Wilson will continue to feed the Beast. After Beastmode is tearing them a new one, the d-end will eventually crash and Wilson will burn him. The beauty of it is either way it creates a numbers advantage for the offense. Reguarless of whether or not Wilson hands it off or keeps it :twisted:

chris98251

Reaction score
Well Fran Tarkenton was always thought of as a scrambler, he threw a lot from the pocket as well, when you have a mobile QB you are having to account for him every play taking away the defenses versatility and setting up a advantage. Read option roll outs, moving pockets whatever you want to throw out there, defense still has to wait , wait, wait till Russell commits to where he is going.

chris98251

Reaction score
Oh one more expectation, when we sack Kaepernick I hope the person that does it kisses his own bicep in the back field, not over Kaep that would get a penalty.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":2sa76ujk said:
Oh one more expectation, when we sack Kaepernick I hope the person that does it kisses his own bicep in the back field, not over Kaep that would get a penalty.
Avril, Bennett, Clemens, Irvin and my boyfriend have far more class than this, unlike Krapperdink...just sayin' .

NinerLifer

Reaction score
snackdaddy":rt35es8j said:
Seahawks are a solid team on both sides of the ball. Good lines. Good RB. Very good CB's. QB was a pleasant surprise last season.

But there is one thing to remember. History has shown that defenses eventually find a way to slow down the latest fad when it comes to offenses. The running QB running a read option seems to be the flavor of the month. What would happen if defenses figure out ways to keep Russell Wilson, Colin Kapernick, RGIII and other running QB's in the pocket? Making them beat them with their arms and not their legs? Will they become proficient pocket passers?

This is where the Niners will also benefit by having one of the best o-lines in the league. If o-linemen can dominate the trenches then our mobile QB can continue to be mobile. Especially going up against a defense without a good pass rush. This is where not having all your pass rushers available for a game against one of the listed QB's above will surely hurt you more than normal.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NinerLifer":2q3hioeo said:
snackdaddy":2q3hioeo said:

This is where the Niners will also benefit by having one of the best o-lines in the league. If o-linemen can dominate the trenches then our mobile QB can continue to be mobile. Especially going up against a defense without a good pass rush. This is where not having all your pass rushers available for a game against one of the listed QB's above will surely hurt you more than normal.

Well what happened last December here in Seattle? Seattle hada not very good pash rush and they still curbstomped the ninnies! So there may be a bigger chink in the SF armor then you think.