Expectations for the 2013 season?

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2g4gu6qt said:
NinerLifer":2g4gu6qt said:
snackdaddy":2g4gu6qt said:
Seahawks are a solid team on both sides of the ball. Good lines. Good RB. Very good CB's. QB was a pleasant surprise last season.

But there is one thing to remember. History has shown that defenses eventually find a way to slow down the latest fad when it comes to offenses. The running QB running a read option seems to be the flavor of the month. What would happen if defenses figure out ways to keep Russell Wilson, Colin Kapernick, RGIII and other running QB's in the pocket? Making them beat them with their arms and not their legs? Will they become proficient pocket passers?

Look at the final 4 teams last year. 3 of the 4 teams had QB's who are primarily pocket passers. I don't think thats a coincidence. While its nice to have a guy who can escape the pass rush, its even better to have a guy who can sit there, read defenses, make good decisions and make accurate throws. Why are the Patriots always a playoff team? It hasn't been their defense lately. Why did the Broncos all of a sudden become a superbowl contender? Why did Joe Flacco lead his team to a championship? Good pocket passers, thats why.

If defenses make Wilson stay in the pocket, can he succeed? Thats a question that remains to be seen.

This is where the Niners will also benefit by having one of the best o-lines in the league. If o-linemen can dominate the trenches then our mobile QB can continue to be mobile. Especially going up against a defense without a good pass rush. This is where not having all your pass rushers available for a game against one of the listed QB's above will surely hurt you more than normal.

Well what happened last December here in Seattle? Seattle hada not very good pash rush and they still curbstomped the ninnies! So there may be a bigger chink in the SF armor then you think.

Despite being banged up from the prior week in NE, you guys took out Vernon Davis. I obviously don't have to explain how big of an injury that was.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NinerLifer":rd6v2zfc said:
Despite being banged up from the prior week in NE, you guys took out Vernon Davis. I obviously don't have to explain how big of an injury that was.

Kaepernick hardly looked Vernon's way at all during the regular season, so at the time, it really wasn't a big injury at all. I just checked, and Kaepernick averaged 3 targets to VD per game throughout the regular season once Kaepernick became the starter; and that is much higher than reality, because the first two starts he targeted him 5 and 8 times, respectively. For the final month of the regular season, he averaged merely 2 targets per game to Davis.

This isn't a knock on Davis, because he deserves more targets than that by a long shot on a regular basis. It's a knock on Kaep.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Also, as a comparison, Tony Gonzalez was targeted 7.56 times per game in the regular season by Matt Ryan. You might point out that he's one of the greatest TEs of all time, and that's true, but the Falcons also have two very good WRs that see a ton of throws, so Gonzalez isn't targeted as much as he would be on nearly any other team in the NFL.

Axx

Reaction score
I expect Seattle to sweap the 49ers and break even with the rams.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NinerLifer":51ii3cua said:
Sports Hernia":51ii3cua said:
snackdaddy":51ii3cua said:
Seahawks are a solid team on both sides of the ball. Good lines. Good RB. Very good CB's. QB was a pleasant surprise last season.

But there is one thing to remember. History has shown that defenses eventually find a way to slow down the latest fad when it comes to offenses. The running QB running a read option seems to be the flavor of the month. What would happen if defenses figure out ways to keep Russell Wilson, Colin Kapernick, RGIII and other running QB's in the pocket? Making them beat them with their arms and not their legs? Will they become proficient pocket passers?

Look at the final 4 teams last year. 3 of the 4 teams had QB's who are primarily pocket passers. I don't think thats a coincidence. While its nice to have a guy who can escape the pass rush, its even better to have a guy who can sit there, read defenses, make good decisions and make accurate throws. Why are the Patriots always a playoff team? It hasn't been their defense lately. Why did the Broncos all of a sudden become a superbowl contender? Why did Joe Flacco lead his team to a championship? Good pocket passers, thats why.

If defenses make Wilson stay in the pocket, can he succeed? Thats a question that remains to be seen.

This is where the Niners will also benefit by having one of the best o-lines in the league. If o-linemen can dominate the trenches then our mobile QB can continue to be mobile. Especially going up against a defense without a good pass rush. This is where not having all your pass rushers available for a game against one of the listed QB's above will surely hurt you more than normal.

Well what happened last December here in Seattle? Seattle hada not very good pash rush and they still curbstomped the ninnies! So there may be a bigger chink in the SF armor then you think.

.....and Seattle was without 3 out of 4 top CB's....... I can do this for that all day long...... Excuses only get you so far!

Hawkboi

Reaction score
Axx":37ikovpk said:

I expect Seattle to sweep both the 49ers and the Rams, but if we split I think it will be with the 49ers... Don't see us losing the first Home Game on Sunday Night Football. Especially with a crowd trying to break the sound record in a stadium..... :th2thumbs:

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Hawkboi":2t2jfv7z said:
Axx":2t2jfv7z said:

I expect Seattle to sweep both the 49ers and the Rams, but if we split I think it will be with the 49ers... Don't see us losing the first Home Game on Sunday Night Football. Especially with a crowd trying to break the sound record in a stadium..... :th2thumbs:

And on Pete Carroll's birthday!

NinerBuff

Reaction score
What Do I Expect This Year?

I expect the Niners to split the series with both the Seahawks and Rams... I think SF wins the division due to the significantly easier away schedule. I think there will also be a 'fair-well' tour for Candlestick that will come into play. I think Andrew Luck will win the MVP, mostly on being in a high-volume passing attack with a suspect defense, requiring him to pass consistently. But his team will be another year better. I think Dallas will have a breakout year and Tony Romo will actually be an MVP candidate. I think the Broncos will rely heavily on their defense and run attack with Monte Ball. I see Alex Smith getting KC to the last playoff spot, but getting ousted in the first round. I see a divisional game in SF between SEA and SF, which could be the last game ever in Candlestick, and just completely nuts...

NFC
Division Winners:
SF, GB, ATL, DAL
Wildcards:
SEA, WAS
Contenders:
STL, NO, NYG, CAR

AFC
Division Winners:
DEN, PIT, IND, NE
Wilcards:
HOU, KC
Contenders:
MIA, CIN, TEN, BAL

Wilcard Round:
SEA defeats DAL
ATL defeats WAS
IND defeats KC
NE defeats HOU

Divisional Round:
SF defeats SEA
GB defeats ATL
NE defeats DEN
IND defeats PIT

Conference Round:
SF defeats GB
NE defeats IND

Super Bowl:
SF defeats NE

Awards
MVP: Andrew Luck (runners up: Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, RGIII, Tony Romo, Colin Kaepernick)
OPOY: Aaron Rodgers
DPOY: Von Miller
OROY: Monte Ball
DROY: Dion Jordan
Super Bowl MVP: Kaepernick

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":16vw4fjn said:
kearly":16vw4fjn said:
As far as the Rams, why should we be worried about them? They are not a 10 win team. They are like Minnesota without AP. As long as Bradford is there, they will be mediocre. They remind me a lot of the John Friesz-era Seahawks. They are more of a pest than a good team, IMO.

Their defensive line is worth about six wins all by itself. If Bradford can simply not cause any more losses than he causes wins, an improved secondary and a good #1 receiver could push them into 9-10 win territory.

You might think I'm being facetious, but I'm not.

Their line won't get 52 sacks every season though. I don't see much immediate upside for them on defense, really the only area for upside left is the running game. I think Bradford is probably very near his ceiling already. It's not that he lacks the skills or development, and yet he's still below the NFL median. Yeah, his receivers weren't great, but outside of a handful of megastar WRs, it's generally the QB who makes the WR, not the other way around.

I think the WR excuse is valid, but only excuses so much because it's a double-edged sword. For that matter, I can't recall a single sub-par QB who suddenly became great because of additions at WR. WR's are enhancers, but they don't change who you are. Tom Brady took off when he got Moss/Welker and later Gronk/Hernandez, but before 2007 he was still an ultra-elite QB, even when he was throwing to a bunch of no names who couldn't catch the football.

I liked the Rams additions at RB and WR in the draft, but WRs typically take a few years to acclimate. Really the only thing about the Rams that I am in awe of is their D-line, their corners are decent too, but after that, it's an average to below average group of talent.

Fisher is a good in game decision maker, but he's never been a great talent evaluator. His teams have been very inconsistent year to year, too.

RolandDeschain":16vw4fjn said:
Dude, I just pointed out from your own Sando link that the difference in losses at 10am starts compared to 1am starts is exactly 3.0%. That is a very minor deviation. What kind of crack are you smoking?

Sorry Roland, but thinking that body clock doesn't and hasn't had a significant impact on present and past outcomes is birther level silliness. Also, the 3% you cite is just the Seahawks, in a relatively small sample size (keep in mind too- Seattle has been a mostly terrible road team over that span, 10am or not). What Cartire showed was a chart that involved several teams in a much larger sample that had very clear results, much larger than 3%. You can't just dismiss a body of data because a very small piece of it disagreed. That would be like saying the Mariners are not a terrible offense because they've had the AL's best offense in July.

Also, you really need to stop cherry picking the stats you like and then discarding the ones you don't by labeling them outliers- especially when those stats you incorrectly label outliers agree with the larger body of evidence more than your favored stats do. An outlier is a stat that is a standard deviation or two away from the norm, and generally disagrees with the overall data consensus, or at least stands out like a sore thumb. The recent 49ers (in Sando's chart) are not an outlier. They were a better at 1pm games than Oakland and Arizona, but their 10am record was pretty close. It's not a massive gulf in difference, especially since a 19 game 1pm sample is hardly rock solid.

Now, the one thing you are right about is that drawbacks tend to hurt better teams less. The Chargers did relatively well in early games because for most of the last 10 years they've won a ton of regular season games, and did so with great offense- which generally isn't impacted much by early starts. You look at the teams that bucked the 10am trend over NFL history and they generally were either very good and/or had very good offenses. So Seattle is a good bet to buck the trend this year. But that doesn't mean it isn't a disadvantage that must still be overcome. (And remember, Seattle finished 11-5 with FO's #1 offense last year, and was still miserable in 10am starts.)

Who knows, maybe the Seahawks are just that damn good and they got 5-0 in their 10am starts this year. I'm open to that. But let's not pretend that it isn't a significant extra disadvantage that will be a challenge to overcome. Someone else said it perfectly- in the first half of 10am starts it's like the other team is on performance enhancers because of body routine.

Cartire

Reaction score
NinerBuff":28uam6c3 said:

I didnt quote the whole thing cause its too long, but just wanted to make sure this was replied to you.

Your a 9er fan, so I give you a pass on the SF prediction. BUT 2 TEAMS FROM THE NFC EAST?!?!?!

Son, Crack is for people who dont have a reason to live anymore. And rich people who dont care.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NinerBuff":1l3o33q1 said:

I expect the Niners to split the series with both the Seahawks and Rams... I think SF wins the division due to the significantly easier away schedule. I think there will also be a 'fair-well' tour for Candlestick that will come into play. I think Andrew Luck will win the MVP, mostly on being in a high-volume passing attack with a suspect defense, requiring him to pass consistently. But his team will be another year better. I think Dallas will have a breakout year and Tony Romo will actually be an MVP candidate. I think the Broncos will rely heavily on their defense and run attack with Monte Ball. I see Alex Smith getting KC to the last playoff spot, but getting ousted in the first round. I see a divisional game in SF between SEA and SF, which could be the last game ever in Candlestick, and just completely nuts...

NFC
Division Winners:
SF, GB, ATL, DAL
Wildcards:
SEA, WAS
Contenders:
STL, NO, NYG, CAR

AFC
Division Winners:
DEN, PIT, IND, NE
Wilcards:
HOU, KC
Contenders:
MIA, CIN, TEN, BAL

Wilcard Round:
SEA defeats DAL
ATL defeats WAS
IND defeats KC
NE defeats HOU

Divisional Round:
SF defeats SEA
GB defeats ATL
NE defeats DEN
IND defeats PIT

Conference Round:
SF defeats GB
NE defeats IND

Super Bowl:
SF defeats NE

Awards
MVP: Andrew Luck (runners up: Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, RGIII, Tony Romo, Colin Kaepernick)
OPOY: Aaron Rodgers
DPOY: Von Miller
OROY: Monte Ball
DROY: Dion Jordan
Super Bowl MVP: Kaepernick
I will ignore the 49ers winning the Superbowl part that's to be expected from you but Dallas as the NFC East division champions? Are you insane or just trying to get a laugh? Also Kansas City isn't making the playoffs unless James Baldwin somehow becomes a legitimate #2 WR. Which isn't likely.

Largent80

Reaction score
Every year I look at the schedule and say damn that is tough.
Here is the deal, it is tough every year regardless of competition within the division.

The Seahawks need to take that next step and get it done on the road.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
Cartire":2kwlb14o said:
NinerBuff":2kwlb14o said:

I didnt quote the whole thing cause its too long, but just wanted to make sure this was replied to you.

Your a 9er fan, so I give you a pass on the SF prediction. BUT 2 TEAMS FROM THE NFC EAST?!?!?!

Son, Crack is for people who dont have a reason to live anymore. And rich people who dont care.

I realize that 2 teams from the NFC East seems pretty illogical, but the NFL usually cycles in 2 or 3 teams per conference into the playoffs each year. Thinking that Dallas can do anything in the playoffs is laughable, but they have a pretty legit lineup, top to bottom. They've been perennial underachievers, but I think the trend ends this year and they break into the playoffs.

KCHawkGirl":2kwlb14o said:
I will ignore the 49ers winning the Superbowl part that's to be expected from you but Dallas as the NFC East division champions? Are you insane or just trying to get a laugh? Also Kansas City isn't making the playoffs unless James Baldwin somehow becomes a legitimate #2 WR. Which isn't likely.

I think that Denver is pretty under overrated and the AFC is pretty weak in general. They had 6 pro-bowlers last year, and all they needed was a QB that didn't turn the ball over...enter Alex Smith. Now, will they do anything substantial in the playoffs, no. But KCs offense (Charles, Bowe, Baldwin, Moeaki, McCluster) with Andy Reid is enough to beat the Raiders and Chargers 2x. So they need about 4 or 5 more wins throughout the rest of their schedule.

In general, I've made predictions for the past 5 or 6 seasons, usually going with consensus picks, and there's always a team that comes from mediocrity to make the playoffs. I see Dallas and KC being those teams this year... I could also see MIA or STL making the last wildcard spot... The problem for STL is they're stuck looking up at two juggernauts.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
Ok Hawk fans... Obviously we differ on our opinions of how our teams will do, but what about...

STL, NO, ATL, CAR, WAS, DAL, NYG, GB, CHI, DET?

If both SF and SEA make the playoffs, which are the other division winners and the other wildcard?

As I said above, I think:

SF, SEA, GB, ATL, WAS, and DAL

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NinerBuff":3562d98r said:
Cartire":3562d98r said:
NinerBuff":3562d98r said:

I realize that 2 teams from the NFC East seems pretty illogical, but the NFL usually cycles in 2 or 3 teams per conference into the playoffs each year. Thinking that Dallas can do anything in the playoffs is laughable, but they have a pretty legit lineup, top to bottom. They've been perennial underachievers, but I think the trend ends this year and they break into the playoffs.

KCHawkGirl":3562d98r said:

I think that Denver is pretty under overrated and the AFC is pretty weak in general. They had 6 pro-bowlers last year, and all they needed was a QB that didn't turn the ball over...enter Alex Smith. Now, will they do anything substantial in the playoffs, no. But KCs offense (Charles, Bowe, Baldwin, Moeaki, McCluster) with Andy Reid is enough to beat the Raiders and Chargers 2x. So they need about 4 or 5 more wins throughout the rest of their schedule.

In general, I've made predictions for the past 5 or 6 seasons, usually going with consensus picks, and there's always a team that comes from mediocrity to make the playoffs. I see Dallas and KC being those teams this year... I could also see MIA or STL making the last wildcard spot... The problem for STL is they're stuck looking up at two juggernauts.
I wouldn't bank on 2 wins vs. the Chargers, fact is nobody has a good read on how bad or good they will be. Denver isn't overrated that is a solid team throughout. I do see them dropping to 12-4 but their schedule is so easy that 14-2 isn't unlikely. Kansas City if everything goes right wins 10 games but are more likely to land anywhere between 7-9 wins. McCluster can't hang on to a ball and the offense can't just be Charles, and Bowe is their only legit WR as of now. But they do have the makings of an elite OL and if Smith gets the protection you may be right but so much has to go right.

Dallas no, as long as Romo and Jerruh are there it's 8-8 city. Romo is like Cutler he implodes whenever it's important and just can't seem to put it all together despite putting up gaudy statistics.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":okf70uej said:
Seattle wins the division, Rams get the wild card.
If that happens the Bay Area may just sink into the ocean. (It might given the Superbowl hangover effect).

Sac

Reaction score
It's not just the hangover. Two years in a row they've gone deep in the post season with an aging roster. That's about to catch up to them.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NinerBuff":21je5dxt said:
Ok Hawk fans... Obviously we differ on our opinions of how our teams will do, but what about...

STL, NO, ATL, CAR, WAS, DAL, NYG, GB, CHI, DET?

If both SF and SEA make the playoffs, which are the other division winners and the other wildcard?

As I said above, I think:

SF, SEA, GB, ATL, WAS, and DAL
NFC? I see Seattle, Atlanta, Green Bay, NYG as division winners with New Orleans and St. Louis as wildcards. After thinking on it I think SacHawk has a good point and with the SB hangover effect in play. ESPN is going to go into shock and Skip Bayless may have a stroke on national television. Those are my thoughts.