Expectations for the 2013 season?

NinerBuff

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":3me4x8gx said:
NinerBuff":3me4x8gx said:
Ok Hawk fans... Obviously we differ on our opinions of how our teams will do, but what about...

STL, NO, ATL, CAR, WAS, DAL, NYG, GB, CHI, DET?

If both SF and SEA make the playoffs, which are the other division winners and the other wildcard?

As I said above, I think:

SF, SEA, GB, ATL, WAS, and DAL
NFC? I see Seattle, Atlanta, Green Bay, NYG as division winners with New Orleans and St. Louis as wildcards. After thinking on it I think SacHawk has a good point and with the SB hangover effect in play. ESPN is going to go into shock and Skip Bayless may have a stroke on national television. Those are my thoughts.

The Super Bowl hangover may be a bit of a misnomer, the last SB loser to not make the playoffs was the Patriots team that lost Tom Brady and had Matt Cassell (and they still won 11 games). I think 11 wins will make the playoffs, even in the NFC. Now, getting 11 wins could be pretty difficult. Now, the last SB loser to win the following year was the '72 Dolphins.

There are a few teams that I have a hard time perdicting... STL (can they move up from 3rd in the division, can Bradford become more consistent), NYG (is it good Manning or bad Manning), CAR (can Newton be more than a fantasy pt stuffer), TB (can FA spending actually pay off), and DAL (perennial losers with a great team 'on paper')
:snack:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kearly":3cht7uf2 said:
Their line won't get 52 sacks every season though.
So true, but that's not what impressed me so much about the Rams D-line. It's their ability to constantly create pressure and wreak havoc even without getting sacks. That week 17 game was terrifying. Our O-line isn't great, but they looked like high school chumps against the Rams D-line.

Kearly":3cht7uf2 said:
Sorry Roland, but thinking that body clock doesn't and hasn't had a significant impact on present and past outcomes is birther level silliness. Also, the 3% you cite is just the Seahawks, in a relatively small sample size (keep in mind too- Seattle has been a mostly terrible road team over that span, 10am or not). What Cartire showed was a chart that involved several teams in a much larger sample that had very clear results, much larger than 3%. You can't just dismiss a body of data because a very small piece of it disagreed. That would be like saying the Mariners are not a terrible offense because they've had the AL's best offense in July.

Also, you really need to stop cherry picking the stats you like and then discarding the ones you don't by labeling them outliers- especially when those stats you incorrectly label outliers agree with the larger body of evidence more than your favored stats do.
Whoa. Ok, for the first time ever, I'm going to seriously combat your opinion. I almost always agree with you on any given topic, but I'm going to attempt to justify my thoughts here, and I'm very curious to see your response. First of all, body clock is a very real thing, but it takes more than 3 hours for there to be a significant difference. I'm basing this off of my own experience. I lived in Miami for a few years and have flown back to visit friends several times from Seattle. That is a long-ass flight; the longest you can do in the continental U.S. A 3-hour difference is nothing. I've laid out my case for this before, but basically, it's NO different from the habit people have of either staying out late on a Friday night or having to wake up abnormally early for an appointment, or what have you. There isn't some mystical, magical force the Earth imparts on you when you change 3 time zones. Sure, you spend 7 hours on an airplane and you gain 3 hours flying to Miami, but so what? You land where the local time is 10pm instead of 7pm. You go to sleep a bit later because your body still feels like it's earlier, and you wake up a couple hours later, nice and rested. So what?

If you believe you will have jet lag, your body will manifest symptoms. This is a well-known medical phenomenon. The subconscious is very powerful; more so than most people realize. As I said previously, even if it works, that doesn't change the fact that it's a placebo. Argue all you want, but I've flown plenty, including a good # of times across 3 time zones, and jet lag in a 3-hour time zone change is basically nil, and CERTAINLY it's gone after a day. If you want to discuss the effects when flying across 10 or 12 time zones to Europe or whatever, that's a different story and takes days to fully adjust to. Most teams flying across the country fly on Friday, so they have two full days to get used to it. You are trying to tell me there's still a considerable difference after being in the new time zone two and more days later, and I'm flat-out saying no way.

As far as cherry-picking stats, we're talking about 40% of them being against your argument. That is getting close to half. A tiny difference with the Seahawks, a flat-out objection to your statement with the Chargers since they WON more 10am road games than they did 1pm road games over a decade-long period, and then three large ones that support your argument. 2 out of 5 don't support it, which is 40%. How is this me cherry-picking stats? Most of the teams sucked during much of this period, and I specifically said poor teams tend to amplify problems and elite teams tend to hide them. If even one starting player on offense or defense believes they'll have bad jet lag, (thereby causing it) that could be enough to swing some of those games. We can call the Seahawks and Chargers outliers instead if you want, it really doesn't matter, because the overall average difference for all 5 isn't that big. It's big for 3, nearly nonexistent for 1, and flat-out contradictory for the other. If you want to argue this, we should calculate strength of schedule for these games. Perhaps the 3 that had worse records faced twice as many winning teams on the road at 10am as they did at 1pm, for instance. That could EASILY account for a big discrepancy, since coincidentally, the 3 biggest discrepancies are all teams that largely sucked for the period in question. Certainly, I don't think either one of us is proven to be correct without knowing that data.

Now, the one thing you are right about is that drawbacks tend to hurt better teams less. The Chargers did relatively well in early games because for most of the last 10 years they've won a ton of regular season games, and did so with great offense- which generally isn't impacted much by early starts.
The Chargers had a winning season in exactly 6 of the 12 years used in the ESPN article. (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010) They had some good years for sure, but winning in only half of them is far from a dynasty powerhouse, let's just say. They won more games than they lost over the total 12-year period though, so they were a good overall team for this time frame.

You look at the teams that bucked the 10am trend over NFL history and they generally were either very good and/or had very good offenses. So Seattle is a good bet to buck the trend this year. But that doesn't mean it isn't a disadvantage that must still be overcome. (Though for what it's worth, Seattle finished 11-5 with FO's #1 offense last year, and was still miserable in 10am starts.)
Miserable at 10am starts? I did just check FO, and here's what they list. We only had two games on the road in which our total team DVOA was a negative value. Weeks 1 (@Ari) and 12. (@Mia) Our worst DVOA game was at Arizona, which was a 1pm start. The other, @Mia, was a 10am start. (-16.8% and -3.1%, respectively.) So, our worst road game per FO was @ Arizona. We had 4 10am road games, 3 1pm ones, and a 5pm one, which makes this easy to average. Our average total team DVOA for 10am starts was 18.375%, and for 1pm/5pm road starts was 20.4%. To say our 10am starts were miserable per FO is inaccurate, because the other 3 10am starts (weeks 4, 8, and 13) had DVOAs of 12.8%, 23.4%, and 40.4%, respectively.

Who knows, maybe the Seahawks are just that damn good and they got 5-0 in their 10am starts this year. I'm open to that. But let's not pretend that it isn't a significant extra disadvantage that will be a challenge to overcome. Someone else said it perfectly- in the first half of 10am starts it's like the other team is on performance enhancers because of body routine.
10am's an excuse for the weak-minded. (Not referring to you as weak-minded, I mean weak-minded teams/players.) If you have other evidence to present to support your assertion, let's see it. If all 5 of those teams on the ESPN article had followed the same trend as the worst 3, I'd be deferring to it assuming they faced approximately equal-strength opponents in 10am games as they did in 1pm games, which we have yet to establish; but that's not the case. Only 3 out of 5, or 60%, follow this trend. The other 40% do not, so you really cannot draw a correlation from that, IMO.

I hope you don't feel like I'm attacking you or being a jerk. I've got nothing but respect for you, and I still do. I just heartily disagree on this particular topic.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Cartire":331kzogm said:
Capture.jpg

The most disturbing thing about that chart is that roughly two thirds of non-primetime West coast to East coast road games happen at 10am. That makes sense, given that there are a lot more games in general that occur in the early slot compared to the later slot. The NFL needs to look into that. Why be so unbalanced? Wouldn't it be better for everyone if you had the same number of teams playing in the later slot than the early one?

Anyway, based on that chart- you'd expect about sixty to seventy percent of Seattle's east coast games to be 10am. So in a typical year, that probably means 3 ten AM games. Which sucks. We got five this year, which is ridiculous, but even 3 in a year is too many, considering that the only equivalent disadvantage for east coast teams is playing at night, and the average east coast team might get 1-2 of those a year.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm a big proponent of getting rid of west coast teams playing 10am (or 1pm EST if you prefer) road games, period. Even if you ignore the team/player angle, who the hell wants to start drinking and partying 2 hours before a game starts, which means you start at 8am? Blech.

Cartire

Reaction score
kearly":2gyli3zz said:
Cartire":2gyli3zz said:

The most disturbing thing about that chart is that roughly two thirds of non-primetime West coast to East coast road games happen at 10am. That makes sense, given that there are a lot more games in general that occur in the early slot compared to the later slot. The NFL needs to look into that. Why be so unbalanced? Wouldn't it be better for everyone if you had the same number of teams playing in the later slot than the early one?

Anyway, based on that chart- you'd expect about sixty to seventy percent of Seattle's east coast games to be 10am. So in a typical year, that probably means 3 ten AM games. Which sucks. We got five this year, which is ridiculous, but even 3 in a year is too many, considering that the only equivalent disadvantage for east coast teams is playing at night, and the average east coast team might get 1-2 of those a year.

I actually talked to Tim Ryan and PK on NFL radio about this. The afternoon games are designed to have one per station so that they can get an ad revenue boost. They said thats not going away no matter what.

Disp

Reaction score
kearly":10snw2ck said:
Cartire":10snw2ck said:

10 AM starts suck for west coast teams, but do a little math...(89 wins +185 losses)/(5 teams x 12 seasons) = average of 4.5 10 AM games per west coast team per year. So the Seahawks are playing half a game more than average.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
@IRO

I meant miserable in terms of W-L outcomes, though I'll give you credit for digging up stats. Fair points. I am stunned that the DVOA was that close- especially since the Buffalo massacre was a 1pm Pacific game. In fact, you missed a chance to really drive home the point by including the Falcons playoff game, in which I'm sure Seattle had a good DVOA score (I'm guessing it wasn't listed?). Where did you find the week by week dvoa scores, anyway?

I am not basing my arguments on anecdotes (though if I did I would agree with the idea that body clock peaks around 4pm- that's when I do my best workouts). I am basing it on facts and scientific studies that have been linked and discussed frequently here at .net. FWIW, I agree with you that it isn't a HUGE disadvantage. Maybe a few points a game kind of thing. Starting at 10am shouldn't have been what made us lose heartbreakers at Miami or Detroit, especially since those games were lost in the 4th quarter. It was a factor, though, and if it's at 1pm, who knows? I am also dead sure that the early start factored vs. Atlanta. Seattle's defense gave up 20 points in the first half and they've locked down better QBs than Ryan.

As far as cherry-picking stats, we're talking about 40% of them being against your argument.

That's how samples work. Some data goes one way, some goes the other. What matters is what the greater body of evidence determines. To not understand this, it makes you sound like Mitt Romney's 2012 campaign manager. :)

And let's be honest, it's not like the "against the argument" data really says much. Some teams (over a period of time) will probably fare better or worse depending on how they are structured, and they still had a losing record in 10am games, it was just less terrible.

We usually agree on stuff. Probably 99% of the time. But the larger body of evidence as well as scientific study is very clear on this issue. I'm guessing you wouldn't find a single NFL coach who'd say it isn't a factor. Some coaches even flew their team out a few extra days ahead and gave up practice time to overcome it (and it didn't work).

I'll admit that I might be over-rating the impact slightly, but in my defense, Seattle got shafted over and over and over and over during 10am starts last year. Including the playoffs, Seattle had five gut-punch losses last season and all five of them were 10am starts. So I'll concede that this might be causing me to lose a bit of objectivity, but I do think the facts support the idea that 10am starts cost us wins.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
Cartire":3lw718mg said:
kearly":3lw718mg said:
Cartire":3lw718mg said:

I actually talked to Tim Ryan and PK on NFL radio about this. The afternoon games are designed to have one per station so that they can get an ad revenue boost. They said thats not going away no matter what.

I understand the revenue stream from advertisement will force the hand of the NFL schedule makers, but damn, the West teams have really struggle in general.

Just wondering, does anyone have a chart for the opposite... Teams that usually kickoff at 10am PT traveling west and playing at 1pm. Is the disparity similar?

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Disp":2d5atqkn said:
10 AM starts suck for west coast teams, but do a little math...(89 wins +185 losses)/(5 teams x 12 seasons) = average of 4.5 10 AM games per west coast team per year. So the Seahawks are playing half a game more than average.

4.56 to be exact. Good catch.

You'll notice though that Seattle and San Diego drew far fewer 10am games than the other three teams did. So in reality, the Seahawks have been pretty lucky on the 10am starts thing over the past 12 seasons. Interesting.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kearly":14wxe55x said:
@IRO

I meant miserable in terms of W-L outcomes, though I'll give you credit for digging up stats. Fair points. I am stunned that the DVOA was that close- especially since the Buffalo massacre was a 1pm Pacific game.

I am not basing my arguments on anecdotes (though if I did I would agree with the idea that body clock peaks around 4pm- that's when I do my best workouts). I am basing it on facts and scientific studies that have been linked and discussed frequently here at .net. FWIW, I agree with you that it isn't a HUGE disadvantage. Maybe a few points a game kind of thing. Starting at 10am shouldn't have been what made us lose heartbreakers at Miami or Detroit, especially since those games were lost in the 4th quarter. It was a factor, though, and if it's at 1pm, who knows? I am also dead sure that the early start factored vs. Atlanta. Seattle's defense gave up 20 points in the first half and they've locked down better QBs than Ryan.
I'm not saying it's not a factor, I'm saying that it's an extremely minor one and that it shouldn't even be that. Also, we started off the same way at Washington as we did at Atlanta, and that was a 1:30pm start. We gave up two freakin' TDs in the 1st quarter to 0 points for us. Not as bad as a 20-0 start, but the Falcons offense was a better one than the Redskins. I'd point to our offensive play calling differences between the 1st and 2nd halves of each of those games as being why we were able to shoot back, combined with improved defensive play later in the game.

That's how samples work. Some data goes one way, some goes the other. What matters is what the greater body of evidence determines. To not understand this, it makes you sound like Mitt Romney's 2012 campaign manager. :)
Oh, come on, man; lol. Statistical deviations vary wildly as far as how much of a percentage change is needed to be considered significant. You're basically arguing that 99% on one side and 1% on the other is the same as 60%-40%, or 51%-49%. Whatever the larger number is, wins. That's so not how it goes a huge percentage of the time. In almost any sort of statistical comparison you can think of, there are many variables that affect the outcome. For instance, as an example, let's say the 3 crap teams of those 5 had twice as many 10am opponents that had winning records as they did 1pm opponents. Despite the 60% number still being true, that could EASILY mean the 60% still loses. This is just an example, I haven't done the considerable task of checking opponent records for 12 seasons of football for 5 teams, lol; but my point stands. You can't just look at a percentage and determine anything, you have to know what variables have and have not been accounted for, and decide how important they are. Depending on what factors have been factored in/calculated for and what ones haven't, in any given set of data, 10% could easily be a larger deviation than 25%, or what have you.

And let's be honest, it's not like the "against the argument" data really says much. Some teams (over a period of time) will probably fare better or worse depending on how they are structured, and they still had a losing record in 10am games, it was just less terrible.
It would say a lot more, either in favor of you or in favor of me, if we knew the strength of schedule of 10am vs. 1pm starts for all the opponents in that set of data.

We usually agree on stuff. Probably 99% of the time. But even if I wanted to agree with you, reading you make a case on this feels like seeing someone who made up their mind already and is on the hunt for any supporting evidence while conveniently dismissing or failing to mention inconveniences.
That kind of hurts, haha. I've been involved with two really big discussions about time zone travel/jet lag on here since I've been a member, and one of those times, I linked legitimate evidence backing my assertion. Did you know that some scientists suspect that the major cause of jet lag isn't even caused by crossing time zones, but by being in an environment where the air pressure is much higher than you're used to? It causes oxygen deprivation, or hypoxemia, leading to lethargy among other things. http://www.healthytravelblog.com/2012/0 ... -sickness/

The larger body of evidence as well as scientific study is very clear on this issue.
Hardly. Even WebMD says simply setting your watch to the new time zone beforehand (at the airport/when you board the plane, etc.) can really help with jet lag, and they flat-out say this is a psychological effect. http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/ex ... ies?page=2

I'm guessing you wouldn't find a single NFL coach who'd say it isn't a factor. Some coaches even flew their team out a few extra days ahead and gave up practice time to overcome it (and it didn't work).
Check any source you can find, they all say that at most, it takes a day per time zone crossed to fully acclimate. Some teams have tried travelling east a WEEK early and still lost; that's evidence for my assertion, not yours. :)

I'll admit that I might be over-rating the impact slightly, but in my defense, Seattle got shafted over and over and over and over during 10am starts last year. Pretty much all of our gut-punch losses happened in the 10am slot. So I'll concede that this might be causing me to lose a bit of objectivity, but I do think the facts support the idea that 10am starts cost us wins.
I'd say a much larger factor I was spreading out our defensive coverage in a big way at the end of the 4th quarter in most of the games you mentioned.

If I had billions of dollars, I would pay some scientists to test this whole thing. Fill a plane with a couple hundred people and fly them to Miami from Seattle, test for jet lag on them, then load another group up and fly them in big circles and land in some spot in the same state, or in another nearby state in the same time zone but with them having believed they were flown to some spot on the east coast and tested for jet lag, so they're under the guise that they traveled to the east coast but didn't. Then, take a 3rd group and fly them in circles for the same duration it takes to go to Miami, and TELL them you're flying in circles ahead of time so they know, and just land where the 2nd test group did, in a nearby state or elsewhere in the same state and test for jet lag. I would bet a lot that the first two groups both have similar amounts of jet lag, but that the 3rd one largely doesn't.

A

Anonymous

Let us pray,

God,

Hi, this is HH82. I know we don't talk much, but I need a favor:

Could you please visit Kearly, and all the others that are confused, and give them a little "mind zap" or something for me? They just can't get past the fact that NFL games kick off in the local time zone where everyone playing the game happens to be standing at the time. They keep looking at that pacific coast version of the schedule that has them barely finishing breakfast, groggy, hung-over, and thinking that everybody east of them feels the same way. We need to fix this.

You know and I know, that all the games they are saying start at 10:00am really start at either noon or 1:00pm. We know that all the guys playing in those games have been sleeping in that time zone twice before the games actually starts, so there is no "body clock" problem. We are only talking a few hours too. I know that you made the human body the most productive at midday after breakfast when that food has reached the small intestine, but apparently they are looking past all that medical stuff and are citing statistics made up entirely of mediocre teams. They just don't realize that these games were lost because they were simply away games. Those losses occurred while travelling teams were in hostile territory, in snow and rain and frigid temperatures they were not used to, and with thousands of fans screaming while the their quarterback is trying to audible to them. Yes God, you and I both know that 3 hours of awake time means nothing when you consider all of that.

Please God, for the love of you, do the Vulcan mind-meld on them and show them the light. But hey, they are really cool folks that have only gone a little astray, so no fire and brimstone, ok? Appreciate it bro!

Amen

Oh, and by the way, thanks a lot for Scarlette Johannson! Nice Work!

snackdaddy

Reaction score
NinerLifer":2gz07j3r said:
snackdaddy":2gz07j3r said:
Seahawks are a solid team on both sides of the ball. Good lines. Good RB. Very good CB's. QB was a pleasant surprise last season.

But there is one thing to remember. History has shown that defenses eventually find a way to slow down the latest fad when it comes to offenses. The running QB running a read option seems to be the flavor of the month. What would happen if defenses figure out ways to keep Russell Wilson, Colin Kapernick, RGIII and other running QB's in the pocket? Making them beat them with their arms and not their legs? Will they become proficient pocket passers?

Look at the final 4 teams last year. 3 of the 4 teams had QB's who are primarily pocket passers. I don't think thats a coincidence. While its nice to have a guy who can escape the pass rush, its even better to have a guy who can sit there, read defenses, make good decisions and make accurate throws. Why are the Patriots always a playoff team? It hasn't been their defense lately. Why did the Broncos all of a sudden become a superbowl contender? Why did Joe Flacco lead his team to a championship? Good pocket passers, thats why.

If defenses make Wilson stay in the pocket, can he succeed? Thats a question that remains to be seen.

This is where the Niners will also benefit by having one of the best o-lines in the league. If o-linemen can dominate the trenches then our mobile QB can continue to be mobile. Especially going up against a defense without a good pass rush. This is where not having all your pass rushers available for a game against one of the listed QB's above will surely hurt you more than normal.

Can't argue that the 49ers have a very good line. But remember, the NFC west has some very good pass rushers. Your niners are good. The Rams are very good too. And the Seahawks will benefit with the addition of Avril. Don't over look the Seahawks pass rush. Plus, they have a couple very good corners that could cause coverage sacks.

The NFC west is going to be tough. The 3rd best team, the Rams led the league is sacks last year and could be even better this year. The Cardinals defense isn't a slouch either. Their problem, and maybe the Rams too, is the offense. They can't match the 49ers or Seahawks offense. Rams look a little better on offense on paper, but they're still not on par with the 49ers and Seahawks.

Johnny

Reaction score
to be honest I don't have any expectations for the 2013 season reason being, I've never seen the Hawks have this good of a team coming into a new season. The shy is the limit with this team.

snackdaddy

Reaction score
kearly":3g2c75zj said:
RolandDeschain":3g2c75zj said:
kearly":3g2c75zj said:
As far as the Rams, why should we be worried about them? They are not a 10 win team. They are like Minnesota without AP. As long as Bradford is there, they will be mediocre. They remind me a lot of the John Friesz-era Seahawks. They are more of a pest than a good team, IMO.

Their defensive line is worth about six wins all by itself. If Bradford can simply not cause any more losses than he causes wins, an improved secondary and a good #1 receiver could push them into 9-10 win territory.

You might think I'm being facetious, but I'm not.

Their line won't get 52 sacks every season though. I don't see much immediate upside for them on defense, really the only area for upside left is the running game. I think Bradford is probably very near his ceiling already. It's not that he lacks the skills or development, and yet he's still below the NFL median. Yeah, his receivers weren't great, but outside of a handful of megastar WRs, it's generally the QB who makes the WR, not the other way around.

I think the WR excuse is valid, but only excuses so much because it's a double-edged sword. For that matter, I can't recall a single sub-par QB who suddenly became great because of additions at WR. WR's are enhancers, but they don't change who you are. Tom Brady took off when he got Moss/Welker and later Gronk/Hernandez, but before 2007 he was still an ultra-elite QB, even when he was throwing to a bunch of no names who couldn't catch the football.

I liked the Rams additions at RB and WR in the draft, but WRs typically take a few years to acclimate. Really the only thing about the Rams that I am in awe of is their D-line, their corners are decent too, but after that, it's an average to below average group of talent.

Fisher is a good in game decision maker, but he's never been a great talent evaluator. His teams have been very inconsistent year to year, too.

The Rams are the biggest question mark to me. Sam Bradford has been mediocre. He has all the tools to be a top 10 QB, but he hasn't made that transition from being a great college QB to the NFL. But with the added talent at the skill positions, and consecutive years in the same system with the same OC for the first time in his young career, will a light go on for him? Its possible.

They have a very young team with a lot of potential talent. But at this moment, thats all it is. Potential. How long will they take to reach their ceiling? How high is their ceiling? We know the 49ers and Hawks are going to be good. We know the Cardinals have likely improved, but they're not likely to be good. We don't know how good, or not so good the Rams will be yet. Too many unknowns to get a handle on them.

As far as Fisher, he's a quality coach who's always like his teams to have attitude. He usually has good defenses and good run games. But his teams usually aren't very good at passing. They went 13-3 a few years ago with a below average passing team. The drafts so far have graded out favorably. Michael Brockers looks like the real deal at DT. Janoris Jenkins and Chris Givens are playmakers. Tavon Austin could be much better than Danny Amendola was. Alec Ogletree could turn out to be a defensive rookie of the year candidate. And Fisher's not the only one evaluating talent. GM Les Snead has been given a lot of credit in that area. Plus, the future looks bright for their team with more draft picks coming next season from the RGIII trade with the Redskins.

Hawks and 49ers may not have to worry about them challenging them for NFC west supremacy this season. But things will get interesting beginning next year.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Maybe for your team given we draft as well as the Rams if not better and no matter how Bradford turns out Wilson was better in college and certainly better in the NFL.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":3hlgfamo said:
Maybe for your team given we draft as well as the Rams if not better and no matter how Bradford turns out Wilson was better in college and certainly better in the NFL.

From an 'impartial' point of view, I will agree with most of what you said, except that Bradford had a much better college career. Obviously he didn't have to build 2 different college programs up, but Bradford was the Heisman winner and was the consensus #1 pick even with his injury.

Now, the NFL career piece is pretty obvious. Wilson has eclipsed Bradford in any significant stat in just his one year.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
NinerBuff":3h65v3vq said:
KCHawkGirl":3h65v3vq said:

From an 'impartial' point of view, I will agree with most of what you said, except that Bradford had a much better college career. Obviously he didn't have to build 2 different college programs up, but Bradford was the Heisman winner and was the consensus #1 pick even with his injury.

Now, the NFL career piece is pretty obvious. Wilson has eclipsed Bradford in any significant stat in just his one year.

I don't remember Bradford being the consensus #1 pick so much as a majority agreed that the Rams ought to take a QB. I also remember the reports making it sound like the Rams had to convince themselves Bradford was the guy. *shrug* Minor quibble, I suppose.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
NinerBuff":2ocaf4pp said:
KCHawkGirl":2ocaf4pp said:

I don't remember Bradford being the consensus #1 pick so much as a majority agreed that the Rams ought to take a QB. I also remember the reports making it sound like the Rams had to convince themselves Bradford was the guy. *shrug* Minor quibble, I suppose.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":eiu7lche said:
NinerBuff":eiu7lche said:
KCHawkGirl":eiu7lche said:

Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy were the other guys that were rumored. But Bradford was pretty much the consensus (because they needed a QB)

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":34duuxld said:
kearly":34duuxld said:
@IRO

I meant miserable in terms of W-L outcomes, though I'll give you credit for digging up stats. Fair points. I am stunned that the DVOA was that close- especially since the Buffalo massacre was a 1pm Pacific game.

I'm not saying it's not a factor, I'm saying that it's an extremely minor one and that it shouldn't even be that. Also, we started off the same way at Washington as we did at Atlanta, and that was a 1:30pm start. We gave up two freakin' TDs in the 1st quarter to 0 points for us. Not as bad as a 20-0 start, but the Falcons offense was a better one than the Redskins. I'd point to our offensive play calling differences between the 1st and 2nd halves of each of those games as being why we were able to shoot back, combined with improved defensive play later in the game.

Oh, come on, man; lol. Statistical deviations vary wildly as far as how much of a percentage change is needed to be considered significant. You're basically arguing that 99% on one side and 1% on the other is the same as 60%-40%, or 51%-49%. Whatever the larger number is, wins. That's so not how it goes a huge percentage of the time. In almost any sort of statistical comparison you can think of, there are many variables that affect the outcome. For instance, as an example, let's say the 3 crap teams of those 5 had twice as many 10am opponents that had winning records as they did 1pm opponents. Despite the 60% number still being true, that could EASILY mean the 60% still loses. This is just an example, I haven't done the considerable task of checking opponent records for 12 seasons of football for 5 teams, lol; but my point stands. You can't just look at a percentage and determine anything, you have to know what variables have and have not been accounted for, and decide how important they are. Depending on what factors have been factored in/calculated for and what ones haven't, in any given set of data, 10% could easily be a larger deviation than 25%, or what have you.

It would say a lot more, either in favor of you or in favor of me, if we knew the strength of schedule of 10am vs. 1pm starts for all the opponents in that set of data.

We usually agree on stuff. Probably 99% of the time. But even if I wanted to agree with you, reading you make a case on this feels like seeing someone who made up their mind already and is on the hunt for any supporting evidence while conveniently dismissing or failing to mention inconveniences.
That kind of hurts, haha. I've been involved with two really big discussions about time zone travel/jet lag on here since I've been a member, and one of those times, I linked legitimate evidence backing my assertion. Did you know that some scientists suspect that the major cause of jet lag isn't even caused by crossing time zones, but by being in an environment where the air pressure is much higher than you're used to? It causes oxygen deprivation, or hypoxemia, leading to lethargy among other things. http://www.healthytravelblog.com/2012/0 ... -sickness/

The larger body of evidence as well as scientific study is very clear on this issue.
Hardly. Even WebMD says simply setting your watch to the new time zone beforehand (at the airport/when you board the plane, etc.) can really help with jet lag, and they flat-out say this is a psychological effect. http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/ex ... ies?page=2

I'm guessing you wouldn't find a single NFL coach who'd say it isn't a factor. Some coaches even flew their team out a few extra days ahead and gave up practice time to overcome it (and it didn't work).
Check any source you can find, they all say that at most, it takes a day per time zone crossed to fully acclimate. Some teams have tried travelling east a WEEK early and still lost; that's evidence for my assertion, not yours. :)

I'll admit that I might be over-rating the impact slightly, but in my defense, Seattle got shafted over and over and over and over during 10am starts last year. Pretty much all of our gut-punch losses happened in the 10am slot. So I'll concede that this might be causing me to lose a bit of objectivity, but I do think the facts support the idea that 10am starts cost us wins.
I'd say a much larger factor I was spreading out our defensive coverage in a big way at the end of the 4th quarter in most of the games you mentioned.

If I had billions of dollars, I would pay some scientists to test this whole thing. Fill a plane with a couple hundred people and fly them to Miami from Seattle, test for jet lag on them, then load another group up and fly them in big circles and land in some spot in the same state, or in another nearby state in the same time zone but with them having believed they were flown to some spot on the east coast and tested for jet lag, so they're under the guise that they traveled to the east coast but didn't. Then, take a 3rd group and fly them in circles for the same duration it takes to go to Miami, and TELL them you're flying in circles ahead of time so they know, and just land where the 2nd test group did, in a nearby state or elsewhere in the same state and test for jet lag. I would bet a lot that the first two groups both have similar amounts of jet lag, but that the 3rd one largely doesn't.

ITT Roland Owns.