Expectations for the 2013 season?

Yoonhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3rrpmxpf said:
I'm a big proponent of getting rid of west coast teams playing 10am (or 1pm EST if you prefer) road games, period. Even if you ignore the team/player angle, who the hell wants to start drinking and partying 2 hours before a game starts, which means you start at 8am? Blech.

Start with coffee, quickly move onto bloody marys or screwdrivers. That's usually my gameplan.

Honestly though, I agree about the 10AM start times. Generally they suck.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm proud of you guys. Not because some of you are backing me, but because you took the time to actually read my walls of text. On most other NFL forums, more than one average-sized paragraph results in a flood of "TL,DNR" replies and people asking why I'm typing a novel, expecting them to actually read that crap.

We've got people that aren't afraid to READ around here. Cheers. :thirishdrinkers:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Personally I think the whole 10 am thing is a mental thing pure and simple because fact is it takes exactly 1 day to adjust 1 hour. If it's such a huge issue why not fly out on Thursday for a Sunday game? It would be a total non-factor as it is with a Friday flight you are at most 1 hour behind which means maybe in the 1st quarter you might be a little off. By the start of the second quarter you should be completely adjusted.

warden

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":3bui8ht7 said:
Personally I think the whole 10 am thing is a mental thing pure and simple because fact is it takes exactly 1 day to adjust 1 hour. If it's such a huge issue why not fly out on Thursday for a Sunday game? It would be a total non-factor as it is with a Friday flight you are at most 1 hour behind which means maybe in the 1st quarter you might be a little off. By the start of the second quarter you should be completely adjusted.

I think the whole 10 AM thing was because we were soft. Holmrens teams were finesse and could not really go toe to toe in a tough physical road game. The nineties we lacked talent. Chuck Knox's teams could compete on the road. Pete carroll's team will do better on the road as they gain experience. We are no longer a soft team

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
warden":1wvbzksj said:
KCHawkGirl":1wvbzksj said:

I think the whole 10 AM thing was because we were soft. Holmrens teams were finesse and could not really go toe to toe in a tough physical road game. The nineties we lacked talent. Chuck Knox's teams could compete on the road. Pete carroll's team will do better on the road as they gain experience. We are no longer a soft team
I see the merit in that. Running the ball isn't affected by weather and requires toughness and attitude and when you have that timezones and environment should be irrelevant.

Cartire

Reaction score
Well, being a guy who travels a lot, I can tell you that the 3 hour thing is not mental. Im not saying I cant function. We all can. And the change is minimal. But its not just a mental thing. The way I like to tell people about it is,

-You wake up at 6 am to get ready for work on a normal day (example, could be 8 whatever for you).
-You go to bed at 10:30

Now, when you fly to the east coast, its 10:30 there, but your not tired. Why, because its really 7:30 at home. Your body doesnt just see a clock and readjust. So chances are, you stay up, probably midnight, maybe a bit later. Sometimes you dont even want to, but you cant help it. Hotel pillows usually suck too and I always forget to bring mine with me. Now you wake up at 6 am (3am at home). Your body is dead tired, because even if you got 6 hours of sleep, your body internally still thinks its around 3 am. You hurt. You take a cold shower just to see straight. You drink the shitty as **** hotel coffee. God that coffee sucks. It sucks so so bad. But you have to drink it, because making it to the corner cafe wont happen on your current energy. By day 3, your starting to feel comfortable sleeping the correct times, you wake up with enough energy to not need the shitty coffee. Now its time to go home. Now your falling asleep during dinner time. Wife is mad at you.

And KC, flying out for a thursday game is a horrible idea. It negates necessary practices. Flying out friday is already a new trend because of the acclimatization. Pete just started that last year. They literately practice friday, then head for the planes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm

You guys can read up on the Circadian Rhythm here. You'll notice that the times of Fastest reactions speeds and Best Coordination Fall between 2:30 PM and 3:30 PM.

Tical21

Reaction score
1. I expect both Russell Wilson and the team to be fantastic. I expect neither will live up to the ridiculously high level of regular season expectations of the fanbase.

2. I expect we're going to run the ball a lot more and throw the ball a lot less than the expectations of the fanbase.

3. I expect our defense to be ridiculously good. I expect them to be much better against power running teams and produce more pass rush.

4. I expect Percy Harvin to be freakin' animal. There is no way this gets him near 100 catches, but with a few rushes and some returns, he will add a lot of points.

5. I expect Christine Michael to run for over 5 YPC and make some huge plays that win football games.

6. I expect Earl Thomas to hold onto a few and become the best safety in the game.

7. I expect the 10am thing to still cause us to lose a game or two we wouldn't normally.

8. I expect us to have more significant injuries than we had last season.

9. I expect our O-line to Russ better protection.

10. I expect us to be very competitive in the playoffs.

sc85sis

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":30jlpbc6 said:
seahawksTopGear":30jlpbc6 said:
Basically the coach knows that his job is riding on this game.
Give me a break. Not even close. We would have to go like 1-15 this year for Carroll to have a chance at losing his job.
Pretty sure that's a reference to Ron Rivera, not Pete.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Cartire":36qxypt9 said:

You guys can read up on the Circadian Rhythm here. You'll notice that the times of Fastest reactions speeds and Best Coordination Fall between 2:30 PM and 3:30 PM.

Then you realize that a) teams still practice after they fly out at local fields, I believe the Seahawks actually practiced in a park somewhere, and b) scientists 6 years ago reproduced jet lag just having people chillaxing in barometric chambers with the pressure set to 7,000-8,000 feet to simulate being in a plane.

You can't say there isn't a mental aspect to something. There's a mental aspect to everything.

Cartire

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2hlq6dlx said:
Cartire":2hlq6dlx said:

Then you realize that a) teams still practice after they fly out at local fields, I believe the Seahawks actually practiced in a park somewhere, and b) scientists 6 years ago reproduced jet lag just having people chillaxing in barometric chambers with the pressure set to 7,000-8,000 feet to simulate being in a plane.

You can't say there isn't a mental aspect to something. There's a mental aspect to everything.

Thats extremely arbitrary iRo. Of course theres a mental aspect to everything. But you say it as if there is zero physical attributes.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I have traveled plenty and a 3 hour isn't the issue the media or fans make it out to be physically because that can be erased just by time itself so obviously there's a large mental component going on. Or more likely your team just sucks or is league average.

Cartire

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":15nv9s80 said:
I have traveled plenty and a 3 hour isn't the issue the media or fans make it out to be physically because that can be erased just by time itself so obviously there's a large mental component going on. Or more likely your team just sucks or is league average.

And when you travel, do you have to block 300 lb men and sprint at full speed for a 3 hours span? Its one thing to feel tired because of traveling and be grumpy at work. Its another thing to have to become the peak physical condition of a greek god during that time.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I am not concerned about the road games or 10AM thing, none of it.

The 2012 Hawks played better on the road last year than they have in a long time. They actually had late leads in all of them that weren't in SF. Even that game is different if a couple passes weren't dropped. The Rams and Cards squeaked by against a very vanilla offense and the only loss RW unleashed had was an OT game against Miami.

They were able to wipe out large leads in both playoff games on the road and lost to a team known for last second heroics. They will be better on the road because they are a better team in general. Its no coincidence that the previous season that they won all 8 home games was a season they went 5-3 on the road with a throwaway game in GB. The Hawks are as close to complete as we could ask for. That is why I think the whole road thing will get put to bed this season.

I honestly feel that the Hawks will be 12-4 and win the division with no less than a two seed. I expect them to be in the NFCC game and would not be surprised to see them in the SB. They just have the chemistry, leadership and talent all around with guys that are young and full of stamina.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Cartire":17reire2 said:
KCHawkGirl":17reire2 said:

And when you travel, do you have to block 300 lb men and sprint at full speed for a 3 hours span? Its one thing to feel tired because of traveling and be grumpy at work. Its another thing to have to become the peak physical condition of a greek god during that time.
I don't but then again I am not a professional athlete which if they expect to keep being such are required to be in peak mental and physical condition. If they expect to be more than a backup/ ps or shot in the dark kind of player. Just like at my job where if I don't perform at a certain level I get fired and if I want bonus money I am required to perform at much higher levels.

Either level are hard capped expectations set by my employer, no excuses regardless of how I am feeling emotionally, mentally, or physically. So if I want those bonuses and raises I will adapt and perform at said high levels no matter the environment, situation, personal condition or whatever. If not? Then no bonus or no job simple as that. I expect no less if not far more from a professional athlete.

Cartire

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":1pkyvmd3 said:
Cartire":1pkyvmd3 said:
KCHawkGirl":1pkyvmd3 said:

I don't but then again I am not a professional athlete which if they expect to keep being such are required to be in peak mental and physical condition. If they expect to be more than a backup/ ps or shot in the dark kind of player. Just like at my job where if I don't perform at a certain level I get fired and if I want bonus money I am required to perform at much higher levels.

Either level are hard capped expectations set by my employer, no excuses regardless of how I am feeling emotionally, mentally, or physically. So if I want those bonuses and raises I will adapt and perform at said high levels no matter the environment, situation, personal condition or whatever. If not? Then no bonus or no job simple as that. I expect no less if not far more from a professional athlete.

I guess I look at it like they are already at the peak of being a professional athlete. And so is their competition. Therefor, once you reach the peak, any outside force can be the deciding factor.