Johnny Manziel = Tebow 2.0, with issues

pehawk

Reaction score
To English; Manziel fell asleep at Manning's Fruity Academy. He hasn't let it slip over on Saturdays (yet).

To 83, its coming from a "natural talent" perspective. JM's genius, seriously genius, on the football field. Maybe if it comes so easy to him, he won't have to work as hard. JJ Watt didn't have to work as hard as Craig Terrell, because Watt's genius at his job.

I'm pulling for him, and that's totally personal biased.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
To pehawk - he went on an all night bender, didn't show up the next day and was booted out. Allegedly.

pehawk

Reaction score
To English (you smartass) - yeah, I know, and it made me happy. He's Jonny Football, he doesn't need to kiss the ring of Downs Syndrome haircut or Eli Koopa Troopa.

We'll see how it plays out. I think he can do it.

pehawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":eipk6j8y said:
theENGLISHseahawk":eipk6j8y said:
To pehawk - he went on an all night bender, didn't show up the next day and was booted out. Allegedly.

Congratulations on your new prince!

Sweetie, let’s not go that far.

It's just NOT your Papa's NFL anymore. Teams aren't running the WCO. Until its stopped, QB's are going to thrive on athleticism just as much as smarts. Now, maybe it's a fad like the run and shoot? We'll see.

And, in this new era of NFL QB's utilizing athleticism, Manziel maybe the most natural I've seen so far. While it may look frenetic, I'd bet to him everything's moving at a snails pace. He's genius...really...

JSeahawks

Reaction score
pehawk":2prm0rkq said:
JSeahawks":2prm0rkq said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2prm0rkq said:

Congratulations on your new prince!

Sweetie, let’s not go that far.

It's just NOT your Papa's NFL anymore. Teams aren't running the WCO. Until its stopped, QB's are going to thrive on athleticism just as much as smarts. Now, maybe it's a fad like the run and shoot? We'll see.

And, in this new era of NFL QB's utilizing athleticism, Manziel maybe the most natural I've seen so far. While it may look frenetic, I'd bet to him everything's moving at a snails pace. He's genius...really...

Hey, I love Manziel on the field. I'm just worried he has too much Leinart in him. I'd love to see him succeed though. I was just congratulating English on the royal birth today. I'm sure he's lighting up cigars and such.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Why are College players constantly compared to NFL standards? In the NFL, it is their job to go out and play. They get a paycheck and contract for it. These kids in College are students first ... They are not getting paid for this. They need a life too.
The media has invested billions into these college contracts, the kids aren't getting paid, now they want the kids to behave like if they are getting paid these billions? I say screw the media. Let the kids be kids. When they sign their professional contracts, now their bosses can tell them how to run their lives.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I received a full scholarship to college and worked my ass off every day, every semester. Saying that these kids get nothing is the most moronic thing I may have ever read. What if there wasn't college football? What would Johnny Manziel receive? So.... he would be playing in the NFL minor leagues like other former high schoolers? OH WAIT, there is no such system. They receive a FREE education (Johnny F. decided not to attend classes on campus), and saying, "Well he's 20" is just stupid. Plenty of 20 year olds are intelligent and well behaved, especially when they are on a scholarship that asks them to follow through on something. THAT IS a contract.

Do you know how much tuition, books, and housing would cost at most of these schools? I once looked into transferring to the U of Miami and tuition was around $50,000 a year. Seriously. Do those kids "Do it for free?"

Johnny is receiving massive exposure, has an entire marketing department behind him at the school (and the school has an equipment contract and television deals) that also help to boost his celebrity. Then he has trademarked things and is selling his own merchandise. NONE of that would have been possible had he not gotten a scholarship and the massive freebies from Texas A&M. He also wouldn't have been able to hit the buffet circuit and get so fat this offseason if it weren't for his publicity machine that is behind him. He's getting PLENTY out of this bargain, and he was rich to start with. Playing the game where the kid should be excused from any sense of responsibility or expectation of behavior is nutty.

CPHawk

Reaction score
SharkHawk":19txah6b said:
I received a full scholarship to college and worked my ass off every day, every semester. Saying that these kids get nothing is the most moronic thing I may have ever read. What if there wasn't college football? What would Johnny Manziel receive? So.... he would be playing in the NFL minor leagues like other former high schoolers? OH WAIT, there is no such system. They receive a FREE education (Johnny F. decided not to attend classes on campus), and saying, "Well he's 20" is just stupid. Plenty of 20 year olds are intelligent and well behaved, especially when they are on a scholarship that asks them to follow through on something. THAT IS a contract.

Do you know how much tuition, books, and housing would cost at most of these schools? I once looked into transferring to the U of Miami and tuition was around $50,000 a year. Seriously. Do those kids "Do it for free?"

Johnny is receiving massive exposure, has an entire marketing department behind him at the school (and the school has an equipment contract and television deals) that also help to boost his celebrity. Then he has trademarked things and is selling his own merchandise. NONE of that would have been possible had he not gotten a scholarship and the massive freebies from Texas A&M. He also wouldn't have been able to hit the buffet circuit and get so fat this offseason if it weren't for his publicity machine that is behind him. He's getting PLENTY out of this bargain, and he was rich to start with. Playing the game where the kid should be excused from any sense of responsibility or expectation of behavior is nutty.

If there was no football, Maziel could have gone into the family business and been know as "Johnny cockfighter." :stirthepot:

pehawk

Reaction score
This is also purely overhyped because the game's so big now. Stabler, Starbauch, Marino, Montana, Elway mayve all been identical as a Freshman, and we'd never know. There's people on this board who grade HS kids, that wasn't around 20 years ago for anyone.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I guarantee you that 90% of college QB's are insufferable pricks. You've got it right Pehawk. This kid just gets more exposure because he's actually a good QB. I know a girl who dated that dude who was on the Cowboys and was the predecessor to David Greene at Georgia. Quincy something? She said he was an awful person and "almost even a bigger douche than David was", but he got all of the free blow he wanted, and she wanted to partake, so she "dated" him for a couple of years. She talks about the QB's that came through Georgia as some kind of gods (she played volleyball and softball there, so they all took the same gimme classes). But she said they were also insufferable A-Holes. Even the backups were. To be starters they were just flat out impossible for anybody with common sense to deal with.

I've met a few guys that were "the guy" in high school and college, and you're 100% right about what was going on in the old days. There was a reason Marino dropped like a rock in the "QB draft". There is a reason John Elway had to build his own bar to drink in (he was 'unofficially' banned from every establishment in Colorado for being an absolute boorish assclown that was continually harassing servers and assaulting people... remember, assault isn't battery, battery is when you hit somebody.... assault is verbal, and he did it A LOT).

There is absolutely a sense of entitlement with athletes. It has grown more and more severe I think as times have changed and sports have replaced movies as where the "stars" reside. Just watch the ESPY's and all of the self-congratulations that goes on. It's as embarrassing as the Academy Awards or the Slammies (yeah, I said it).

Sports stars have money, fame, prestige, and attention. They love it. The days of the million dollar price tag on athletes made it much more of a "thing" for sure. I don't think anybody was a bigger jerk and clown than Babe Ruth, but he was in an era where the media left him alone. Mickey Mantle was a complete ass. Read Joe Pepitone's book. Hell, read Mickey's own biography. Read "Cobb". Read up on any of those guys. All just major league jackholes. But they were great.

I don't think we can expect many superstar athletes to handle fame as well as Russell Wilson. For every one of him, there are seemingly 100 Jim Druckenmillers in the world. Guys who think they are ten times better than they ever were and are still living on an invisible cloud of superiority. Jerramy Stevens quickly comes to mind. That guy is a real piece of work, but still thinks he's somehow important. At least I know I'm a loser.

pehawk

Reaction score
I've heard the same stories, through the same channels, girls who dated Pac-12 QB's.

And Shark, no offense, but I find it pretty alarming you're hanging out with SEC types. Even if by default and via 3rd person.

You're a MWC/WAC guy, and specifically a Utah man (although it is VERY SEC to marry the only sister in Utah). You guys play and watch football for honor, not money or loose women. I want to hear what John Beck's like, not Eric Zier, Shark.

Kay?

XOXO

Jimmer Fredette

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I don't know why people like to use words like "entitled" when it comes to Athletes. These guys work hard, have developed skills and offer a product, that is consumed by millions of people every Saturday. This product generates billions for colleges and more billions in profits for networks like ESPN, Fox, ...etc.
Why shouldn't they feel part of it? Why shouldn't they get rewarded for it? What's wrong with that?
I'm one of those, who actually believe that these players should be paid serious money. Giving them "scholarships" to me, is exploitation. Go tell the shareholders of Apple Computer or Walmart, that they don't deserve the millions in profit they make, as people purchase their product.
This is really getting ridiculous.
Joe
There is absolutely a sense of entitlement with athletes. It has grown more and more severe I think as times have changed and sports have replaced movies as where the "stars" reside. Just watch the ESPY's and all of the self-congratulations that goes on. It's as embarrassing as the Academy Awards or the Slammies (yeah, I said it).

NYCoug

Reaction score
pehawk":350ibkq9 said:
There's people on this board who grade HS kids, that wasn't around 20 years ago for anyone.

Ummm... I'm pretty sure that's illegal in all 50 states, you sick bastard. Leave it to pe to take it there.

pehawk

Reaction score
Not illegal for me outside of 150 yards.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I just want to point out how sick that last damning statement from pe was. Gotta love it.

Not as sick as Manziel's game though. I get the concerns about him slowly morphing into Ryan Leaf 2.0, (comes fully equipped with locker room "Knock It Off" Meltdown Mode. Batteries not included) but the dude's a magician on the field. He's got that Russell Wilson 6th sense for the game that very few have ever had and very few will ever have. He's got it. What he doesn't have that the Russell Wilson's and ironically Eli and Peyton Manning's of the world have is that legendary work ethic. Doesn't mean he can't be good. Joe Namath, despite the overrated stats and penchant for partying, is still a Super Bowl champ. Jamarcus Russell, despite the miserable stats and avid love of partying and all things codeine, was an NFL starting Quarterback. Somewhere in the middle lies Johnny Manziel, with a touch of Russell Wilson and Doug Flutie sprinkled in for good measure.

It's gonna be fun to see which road he travels. It could either be really awesome or a cautionary tale for a younger generation.

pehawk

Reaction score
NYCoug":2in10f3n said:
I just want to point out how sick that last damning statement from pe was. Gotta love it.

Not as sick as Manziel's game though. I get the concerns about him slowly morphing into Ryan Leaf 2.0, (comes fully equipped with locker room "Knock It Off" Meltdown Mode. Batteries not included) but the dude's a magician on the field. He's got that Russell Wilson 6th sense for the game that very few have ever had and very few will ever have. He's got it. What he doesn't have that the Russell Wilson's and ironically Eli and Peyton Manning's of the world have is that legendary work ethic. Doesn't mean he can't be good. Joe Namath, despite the overrated stats and penchant for partying, is still a Super Bowl champ. Jamarcus Russell, despite the miserable stats and avid love of partying and all things codeine, was an NFL starting Quarterback. Somewhere in the middle lies Johnny Manziel, with a touch of Russell Wilson and Doug Flutie sprinkled in for good measure.

It's gonna be fun to see which road he travels. It could either be really awesome or a cautionary tale for a younger generation.

I really dont appreciate the fact you take what I'm trying to say and make it coherent and sensical, for once.

Great post. You must've only under grad'd at WSU.