Any 2014 players that you covet for Seattle?

cover-2

Reaction score
An intriguing possible mid-round QB prospect is Cincinnati (QB) Brendon Key. I had him in one of my mock drafts last year before I found out he was returning to school for his 5th year of eligibility. At 6-3 233 lbs he has good size, he is also a fairly decent runner in the zone read option. I can't really speak on his arm talent, but if you are interested in scouting QB's this year then Key is one to keep an eye on.

Here is a quick highlight clip of him.

[youtube]j4w19_vY6r4[/youtube]

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Hageman bears watching due to his physical tools. I'm disappointed in that he shows very little ability to disengage from blockers to bring that athleticism to bear.

He's quick off the ball. He doesn't stand up too much, although his pad level could improve. But he doesn't appear to have the ability to turn those advantages into play making opportunities. If he can learn how to separate and get by blockers that he has the initial advantage on, then he will be a first round prospect.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":ruila4ty said:
Hageman bears watching due to his physical tools. I'm disappointed in that he shows very little ability to disengage from blockers to bring that athleticism to bear.

He's quick off the ball. He doesn't stand up too much, although his pad level could improve. But he doesn't appear to have the ability to turn those advantages into play making opportunities. If he can learn how to separate and get by blockers that he has the initial advantage on, then he will be a first round prospect.

This is exactly what I got from watching him, Attyla. You see the athleticism and the nimbleness for a dude so large, and then you see him just stuck there like he's in a grapple in a 90's wrestling video game. No push, no disengaging. But I try to remember that the Hawks are worried more about the physical tools in that they probably believe that DL guru Dan Quinn would be able to fix that and turn him into the dominant, 3 down player that he should be.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I rewatched his tape, and then watched Jordan Hill's tape and I came away more impressed with Hill frankly. Between the two, Hill's body of work appeared much more impressive. He looks like he's a load for OG's to handle. Even on the plays where he doesn't ultimately factor in, he's working himself free quite often. Opportunities that, if the QB has to bring the ball down or wait longer -- could be impact plays.

Hageman looks like a guy who if he's blocked, is going to stay blocked until the whistle. He doesn't appear to be able to put offensive linemen in distress with any type of counter moves. He's kind of Bruce Irvinish in that respect. I don't know if Quinn can fix that.

I'll certainly be watching that closely this year. Often times, the light comes on and refinement of one's game just allows someone to emerge from mediocre to special. That can often happen with interior linemen between their junior and senior years. So the book isn't finished with Hageman yet by any means. Certainly if he improves on that, it'll demonstrate the ability to learn and apply coaching which is essential to being a good pro once in the league.