Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Who is our fastest DB?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:04 pm 
* NET Curmudgeon *
* NET Curmudgeon *

Serious question. I know people have raved about Earl's range, but I'm wondering how that translates to speed. Earl is also mentioned as one of the fastest guys on the team, but...

I'm wondering if he is somehow faster when running at someone toward him than when he's chasing someone. When Gore broke that run, both Earl and Sherman pursued him, and it looked to my eyes like Earl couldn't gain any ground on Gore while Sherm overtook him eventually. Last year, when Adrian Peterson broke his long run, it was Browner that chased him down, not Earl.

Am I missing something?

Post subject: Re: Who is our fastest DB?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:07 pm 
NET Rookie

You missed Earl running after Ginn on that return a few years ago, and Earl hanging right there with him. Ginn is ridiculously fast.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:16 pm 
NET Bench Warmer

1. Earl
2. Maxwell
3. Lane
4. Sherm
5. Thurmond

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:18 pm 
NET Veteran

I'd bet Lane is actually the fastest. And don't show me his 40 time as proof he's not.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:18 pm 
I'M JIMMY!

It has to be Earl Thomas. Whwn he gets a turnover and starts running, regardless of where he is, he is looking to score. The range... not just side to side. He will come up in run support to stop a run at the LOS. He misses sometimes because of it, but once Earl has his hands around their legs they are going down.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:20 pm 
I'M JIMMY!

King Dog wrote:
You missed Earl running after Ginn on that return a few years ago, and Earl hanging right there with him. Ginn is ridiculously fast.

How about the return in Buffalo after rolling on the ground? In preseason with 2 to the house. Nobody can catch Earl. Too bad he isnt a kick returner.

Oh.. and Browner is too, but he has to get those long legs going. For the long run he has closing speed.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:26 pm 
* NET Baller *

It's probably between Lane and Thomas

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:34 pm 
NET Veteran

Throwdown wrote:
It's probably between Lane and Thomas

If I were to guess I would say Lane over Thomas by a tiny bit, but it's probably so close it hardly matters.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:40 pm 
NET Starter

Lawyer Milloy mentioned Earl as being the fastest player he's even been on the field with.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:46 pm 
NET Rookie

loafoftatupu wrote:
It has to be Earl Thomas. Whwn he gets a turnover and starts running, regardless of where he is, he is looking to score. The range... not just side to side. He will come up in run support to stop a run at the LOS. He misses sometimes because of it, but once Earl has his hands around their legs they are going down.

I wonder if Thomas just understands angles better than anybody else. When I saw gores run I was super surprised...

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:48 pm 
NET Veteran

BlueTalon wrote:
Serious question. I know people have raved about Earl's range, but I'm wondering how that translates to speed. Earl is also mentioned as one of the fastest guys on the team, but...

I'm wondering if he is somehow faster when running at someone toward him than when he's chasing someone. When Gore broke that run, both Earl and Sherman pursued him, and it looked to my eyes like Earl couldn't gain any ground on Gore while Sherm overtook him eventually. Last year, when Adrian Peterson broke his long run, it was Browner that chased him down, not Earl.

Am I missing something?

Well first you've got to understand the problem of angles on that run. Earl was running forward then slightly to the side and then reversed course. Sherman was already running that way. And then Gore was also shading towards the sideline, which Sherm was already on that side and Earl was trying to get around Sherm while not tripping him up.

Earl is definitely faster. However, it looks like not by as much as I thought. IMO, Sherm has actually improved his speed since coming here.

Also, I agree with the others. Lane is uber explosive and might actually beat Earl by a hair. I'd probably have to go with a tie though. Lane only ran in the 4.4s, but he really, really flashes. His vert is what....40 some inches? Uber explosive at long speed, fast twitch, agility, all of the above. Extremely good athlete.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:51 pm 
NET Veteran

Thomas. Both the fastest and quickest guy on D (and of the quickest in the league imo).

But, wasn't Thurmond a track guy at one point?

Last edited by JerHawk81 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:52 pm 
NET Practice Squad

Not saying he's the fastest, but I think Sherman's speed is very underrated. He also has a great vertical (see: INT from the 49ers game in week 2). He gets a lot of credit for being a smart player, but he's also one of the best athletes on the team.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:09 pm 
NET Rookie

Jeremy Lane. He's had some plays where it's almost cartoonish how fast he is. I believe Carroll has mentioned how he's the fastest guy on the team, as well.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:15 pm 
NET Starter

thomas is def the quickest.

Sherm may over take him after the 40 yards though.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:20 pm 
NET Veteran

BlueTalon wrote:

Am I missing something?

No offense, that play is a poor example.

Thomas was running with steam at Gore before Gore made that ridiculous and gorgeous cut pretty much forcing Thomas to make a sharp turn and locking up his hips for a moment, stalling much of his momentum.

Sherman on the other hand was already facing the way Gore was running as a product of a big hold on Vernon Davis. Sherman didn't have to make an ankle breaking cut upfield to recover so he was able to run full stride before Thomas could. Which is why they started out about the same but Sherman was able to gain more ground. Sherman has a much bigger stride than Thomas, and that was the difference. That and Thomas losing his momentum on Gores's cut.

If I had to guess.

1. Thomas 4.3
2. Lane 4.3
3. Maxwell 4.4
4. Margagos 4.4
5. Thurmond 4.4
6. Shead (220 pounds and runs 4.5)
7. Sherman 4.5
8. Tharold Simon 4.5
9. Jeron Johnson 4.5
10. Browner 4.6
11. Kam Chanchellor 4.6

40 times are just a range.

#3 taught Doubters, GREATNESS can be a product of HARD WORK.
#25 taught America, that we're ALL just CLASSLESS jerks.
#24 taught the Media, to REAP what you SOW.
#12 taught the NFL, TO BE LOUDER.

YOU WANTED THIS NOISE, AMERICA.
DON'T PLAY WITH DYNAMITE, IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE BOOM.

Last edited by Pandion Haliaetus on Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:24 pm 
NET Veteran

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:32 pm 
NET Veteran

Mtjhoyas wrote:
Jeremy Lane. He's had some plays where it's almost cartoonish how fast he is. I believe Carroll has mentioned how he's the fastest guy on the team, as well.
I agree that its probably Lane I have heard more than once he is the fastest guy on the team. Im sure Carroll said it and the other was from a player, might have heard it on the radio.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:02 pm 
NET Veteran

Bruce irvin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:14 pm 
NET Veteran

Brandon Browner still doesn't get enough mention, the guy is fast when he INT's a ball, Kam tripped him once on an INT because Browner caught him so fast.

Earl and Sherman are both fast.

I just re-watched Super Bowl XL, all our DB's are faster than the players we had then. Watching Willie Parker run 80 yards for a TD would never happen against this team.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:24 pm 
NET Veteran

NFSeahawks628 wrote:
Brandon Browner still doesn't get enough mention, the guy is fast when he INT's a ball, Kam tripped him once on an INT because Browner caught him so fast.

I just re-watched Super Bowl XL, all our DB's are faster than the players we had then. Watching Willie Parker run 80 yards for a TD would never happen against this team.
because Browner isn't that fast

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:29 pm 
* NET Curmudgeon *
* NET Curmudgeon *

Pandion Haliaetus wrote:
BlueTalon wrote:

Am I missing something?

Thomas was running with steam at Gore before Gore made that ridiculous and gorgeous cut pretty much forcing Thomas to make a sharp turn and locking up his hips for a moment, stalling much of his momentum.

Sherman on the other hand was already facing the way Gore was running as a product of a big hold on Vernon Davis. Sherman didn't have to make an ankle breaking cut upfield to recover so he was able to run full stride before Thomas could. Which is why they started out about the same but Sherman was able to gain more ground. Sherman has a much bigger stride than Thomas, and that was the difference. That and Thomas losing his momentum on Gores's cut.

Not offended at all. But it wasn't the only play I mentioned. I'm not saying ET isn't fast, it's just that occasionally (rarely) I notice him being a tad slow compared to someone else, given my expectation of him being (one of the) fastest guy(s) on the team.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:30 pm 
NET Veteran

BlueTalon wrote:
Pandion Haliaetus wrote:
BlueTalon wrote:

Am I missing something?

Not offended at all. But it wasn't the only play I mentioned. I'm not saying ET isn't fast, it's just that occasionally (rarely) I notice him being a tad slow compared to someone else, given my expectation of him being (one of the) fastest guy(s) on the team.

We play the most single high safety of all the teams in the league. That should tell you how fast and how much ridiculous range he has

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:37 pm 
NET Veteran

Part of what makes Sherman great in recovery is his long legs which give him a big stride. He isn't faster than most WRs over sustained time but he has a quick gallop that can cover a lot of space.

Thomas is much faster but his stride is also smaller which takes him longer to get up to full speed. But it also helps as well as his shorter legs makes him more adept to make fluid cuts and take better angles. Its why is range is amazing but he isn't superman... he can't flip his body with his momentum going foward and burst into full stride just like that. However, if it was anyone else in Thomas's shoes on that Gore run they most likely take a tumble on Gore's cut back. Thomas actually made a nice move to get back into it. A bigger player would have likely been taken out of the play, altogether.

In comparison, its why Sherm and typically the LoB has trouble against small burners at WR. Their overall length plus great coaching will always allow them to compete but they aren't able to consistently match the cuts in their footwork when a smaller WR accelerates and decellerates on a dime then hits the NOS button.

Same thing Browner, he's not typically fast but his long legs can cover a lot of ground, so for instance in 2012 vs the Vikings when Adrian Peterson dialed it down thinking he was in for the score, Browner was able to catch up and make the tackle. He definately looked insanely fast but it was optical illusion of Peterson slowing up and Browner pushing his max speed in full stride.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:42 pm 
NET Veteran

Also, any team would be smart to hire Titus Young, just for a week during any Play-Off match-up against the Seahawks.

Not sure if he's eligible though... I think got the 1 year ban.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:11 am 
NET Practice Squad

Pandion Haliaetus wrote:
Part of what makes Sherman great in recovery is his long legs which give him a big stride. He isn't faster than most WRs over sustained time but he has a quick gallop that can cover a lot of space.

Thomas is much faster but his stride is also smaller which takes him longer to get up to full speed.

I feel like you have that backwards. It seems like players with shorter strides are able to accelerate more quickly. It's one of the reasons why RW can be so hard to bring down in the backfield but someone like Kaepernick is so dangerous once he gets up to full speed in the open field. Or look at Usain Bolt. Not a great initial drive/acceleration phase but blows everyone away at around 60m once he gets up to full speed.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:22 am 
* NET Baller *

Axx wrote:
Bruce irvin

But... Nah... You know what? Do you, boo boo

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:28 am 
NET Veteran

Agree on short having burst and top end speed quicker, Sherm takes a bit to get going but once he gets there can sustain it longer since he uses less energy to stride then Earl with two one stride may equalling two to three of Earls. But Earl can cut on dime without losing speed where Sherman may have to collect himself and shorten it up and restart.

Kind of like a Small Block Versus Big Block.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
.Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:56 am 
NET Veteran

Actually Bruce Irvin is probably about #3 behind Earl and Lane in the speed department.
Faster & quicker than Kam & Browner. Right there with Sherman and WTIII. I don't know Maxwell's speed, so can't say.
Our linebackers as a group are ridiculously fast, (except KJ) and Irvin is an athletic freak.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:11 am 
* NET Nobody *

Definitely Jeremy Lane. In the blocked field goal last year that Sherman ran back, towards the end zone Jeremy Lane comes out of nowhere. I'm sure he can run in the 4.3 range.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:33 am 
NET Veteran

Kelly jennings

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:07 am 
NET Starter

Mtjhoyas wrote:

I was going to say Lane or Thomas. I know it isn't Sherman, Chancellor, or Browner.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:15 am 
NET Veteran

Earl is fast, but it's in that 20-30 yard range that he's light speed. I think in terms of topping out (over say 100m), he's maybe slower than both Browner and Sherman, but very rarely does someone need to run that distance at top speed in football - that 51 yard run is the only run longer than 40 yards against us this year, for example

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:06 am 
NET Veteran

Wenhawk wrote:
Mtjhoyas wrote:
I agree that its probably Lane I have heard more than once he is the fastest guy on the team. Im sure Carroll said it and the other was from a player, might have heard it on the radio.

I also think Lane is the fastest DB on the team.
Here is an article from last year that talks about Lane and his speed.
http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Jeremy-Lane-steps-in-and-plays-well/d3b498b4-9023-45d9-9de2-5a9bc43b69de/

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:18 am 
NET Veteran

Sure looked like Sherman is faster the thomas to me, it takes about 5 strides to get up to full speed, Thomas had plenty of time to kick in the turbo's and catch gore, Sherman clearly was in another gear at the end.. I'd say Earls the quickest, but Sherman may have better top end speed. I think it's between Lane and Thurmond though .

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:31 am 
NET Veteran

Browner caught AP from behind on what was sure to be a touchdown, that's a pretty tough task.

Still, Earl and Lane show AMAZING in game speed. Their combine numbers don't reflect just how fast these two are on Sundays/Mondays/Thursdays.

Go Hawks.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:36 am 
NET Veteran

NFSeahawks628 wrote:

Oh god...who was that awful 3rd string DB who was in there on that play which allowed Parker to score? I hate that guy.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:39 am 
NET Veteran

Sturm wrote:
NFSeahawks628 wrote:

Oh god...who was that awful 3rd string DB who was in there on that play which allowed Parker to score? I hate that guy.

Etric Pruitt. :pukeface:

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:28 am 
NET Veteran

SouthSoundHawk wrote:
Browner caught AP from behind on what was sure to be a touchdown, that's a pretty tough task.

Still, Earl and Lane show AMAZING in game speed. Their combine numbers don't reflect just how fast these two are on Sundays/Mondays/Thursdays.

Yea, Browner has deceptive speed, you wouldn't think it for a big man but its there.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:52 am 
NET Veteran

I have heard PC say it was Lane

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:49 am 
NET Bench Warmer

NFSeahawks628 wrote:

I didn't look it up... But wasn't
Willie Parker one of the fastest running backs in the NFL at that
Time? may also be a track guy too?

But he look awfully fast on that
80 yard run.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:44 pm 
NET Veteran

Speed can be kind of odd to calculate, as you have different kinds.

Thomas and Lane are not only high top end speed, but quick and have great acceleration.

Sherman is noted as one of the best in the league with his make up speed. He doesn't have elite burst or acceleration from a standstill, which is why he ran a 4.5, but once he gets going, he gets there fast. An example is that pass deflection in last year's playoffs against Roddy White. White was open by 7 yards and once that ball was in the air, Sherm caught him and knocked it down. And Ryan didn't underthrow that ball either.

Browner is the same way. He ran a 4.6, but he was also clocked faster than that in college. He's fast, but doesn't get going right away which is why quicker WRs can hurt him, but also why he catches AP in 40 yards when AP runs a legit 4.4 forty. Then look at his INT's....he usually gets to the house if he just has to outrun people.

Thurmond is a legit low 4.4 guy. He's fast and quick.

I think I read somewhere that Maxwell is 4.4 as well, but a higher 4.4

I think Chancellor clocked at a 4.5 or 4.6. He seems to play about that speed but usually doesn't have a problem hanging with TE's with inline speed. He doesn't change direction really quickly though.

Irvin runs a legit 4.4 forty and he changes direction FAST. He's probably honestly faster than Chancellor, Sherman and maybe Maxwell. He's also got amazing burst from a standstill.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:00 pm 
NET Veteran

If i remember correctly from one of the countless videos and tweets was something like.
Rickardo locket.
Jeremy lane,
Percy harvin
Earl Thomas,

I thought i heard somewhere that in a foot race at practice locket out ran everyone.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]