How much will Russell's contract be?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: How much will Russell's contract be?
Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:27 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:
    Penman96 wrote:I could see 12 million / year for a second contract. He's a good quarterback and a good leader in the perfect scheme for him. Everyone's happy!

HAHAHA

You guys are joking right?

Wilson will be getting no less than $20M/year.

^^this... Joe Flacco got 20mil for his superbowl win
    dutchman063
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:27 pm
  • mikeak wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:If the Seahawks are offering 14/15 and he gets a $20M offer from the Jags or Raiders you better believe he would leave.

You realize that's like a $30M dollar difference over 6 years? If they offer $1M more... that's still $1M dollars a year.

I respect RW and I know he wants to be here, but he's not an idiot.

California has 13.3% income tax for millionaries..... Most other states will have significant income tax leaving only very few teams that would actually have to match his salary to be competitive and all others would have to be quite a bit higher

I truly believe he takes $16-$18 million compared to available $20 million on the market. Yes lots of money less, yes still a huge salary but enough make a point

Go look at Brady (yes he is already beyond rich) but he did it to keep the team together and then NE gave him the big finger and got rid of Welker but that is a different story

True that, WA State is financially advantageous for players.
    hieroglyphics
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:28 pm
  • dutchman063 wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:
    Penman96 wrote:I could see 12 million / year for a second contract. He's a good quarterback and a good leader in the perfect scheme for him. Everyone's happy!

HAHAHA

And the Ravens look nowhere near competing for anything anytime soon.
    hieroglyphics
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:29 pm
  • hieroglyphics wrote:
    dutchman063 wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:

HAHAHA

And the Ravens look nowhere near competing for anything anytime soon.

yup... and neither will seattle in a couple years if it happens
    dutchman063
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:30 pm
  • The Ravens had a lot more issues than cap space.

Retirements, older players, significant injuries, under performing running game, losing key free agents.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:31 pm
  • ^Flacco's contract is pretty small for this year - just like Harvin's wasn't very large for this year.

They cleaned house because they had a bunch of old players and decided it was a good time to rebuild

EDIT: SonicHawk beat me to the punch
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:35 pm
  • As much as I hate to bring up his name, isn't Kaep due for a new contract this year? That will be a good barometer of Russel's future worth IMO. Hate Kape if you like but he represents the same group of guys like Wilson, RGIII, Luck, Tannehill, Foles etc. And at this point Russel is head and shoulders above all of them! Foolish to think he would sign for much less than $20M at this point.
    #NEXTMANUP
    #LEAVEMARSHAWNALONE
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:39 pm
  • Evil_Shenanigans wrote:As much as I hate to bring up his name, isn't Kaep due for a new contract this year? That will be a good barometer of Russel's future worth IMO. Hate Kape if you like but he represents the same group of guys like Wilson, RGIII, Luck, Tannehill, Foles etc. And at this point Russel is head and shoulders above all of them! Foolish to think he would sign for much less than $20M at this point.

My guess is they will either franchise him in 2015 or give him an extension this off-season at a similar price. Something around ~$17M a year. I think Wilson will get more than Kaep though.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:42 pm
  • I'm thinking 15-18 million depending on what happens the next two years.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:44 pm
  • Penman96 wrote:We pay him $20 million a year we can forget about any more SuperBowls

Maybe but without him you can forget about more superbowls, and the message to other FAs, we want you to perform at an MVP level for cheap, when you deserve to get paid we do not want you. Not a good idea, You can bet the whole NFL will be watching how we handle Rw, RS, and ET.
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:44 pm
  • This is no slight on Wilson but looking at it pragmatically, I don't think our "program" needs a $20 / million QB in order to win. This team was built through roster churn, and if Pete / John are good at that we can expect to replace our +$15 million / year guys with other players and still compete. I see Russ a key component of the Seahawks, but necessarily not the star of the team.

He doesn't carry a load like Rodgers or Peyton, nor should he because he isn't asked to. We simply don't need a QB to do that. To remain strong across the board and continue winning we will need players to accept contracts that allow us to keep winning. Not all will do that - but I think most will. Some might take big money in Cleveland or or Dallas or Oakland, and good luck to them. Hope they enjoy the money, because they won't win bugger all.
    Penman96
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:45 pm
  • mikeak wrote:You guys must not be serious. He is a $20m / year contract

This guy agrees with me

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenha ... llion-man/

WITH THAT SAID

You can put it in the archive - Russell Wilson signs for $16-$18 million because he wants to set an example and save money for people around him. Sherman signs for $500k less than market value for the same reason but he won't take as much of a discount - more something "symbolic"

That's scary.
    5 NINERS HEAD COACHES WHO COULD KEEP THE SEAHAWKS RIVALRY ALIVE
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/12/17/ ... lry-alive/
    Follow me on Twitter:
    @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:46 pm
  • Sign him to 7 years with 70 million guaranteed. That is 70 million in his account, 10 million a year cap hit, and then make the base salary 5 million a season.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:47 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:
    Evil_Shenanigans wrote:As much as I hate to bring up his name, isn't Kaep due for a new contract this year? That will be a good barometer of Russel's future worth IMO. Hate Kape if you like but he represents the same group of guys like Wilson, RGIII, Luck, Tannehill, Foles etc. And at this point Russel is head and shoulders above all of them! Foolish to think he would sign for much less than $20M at this point.

My guess is they will either franchise him in 2015 or give him an extension this off-season at a similar price. Something around ~$17M a year. I think Wilson will get more than Kaep though.

Yeah no question he will be worth more than Kaep. Newton is also due to renew.

Kaep: 7/28/2011: Signed a four-year, $5.129 million contract. The deal contains $3.8 million guaranteed, including a $2.26 million signing bonus. 2014: $973,766, 2015: Free Agent

Newton: 7/29/2011: Signed a four-year, $22,025,498 contract. The deal is fully guaranteed, including a $14,518,544 signing bonus. 2014: $3,378,477, 2015: Free Agent

Luck:7/19/2012: Signed a four-year, $22.1 million contract. The deal is fully guaranteed, including a $14.5 million signing bonus. 2014: $2,399,818, 2015: $3,404,727, 2016: Free Agent

Griffin:7/18/2012: Signed a four-year, $21,119,098 contract. The deal is fully guaranteed, including a $13,799,344 signing bonus. 2014: $2,309,918, 2015: $3,269,877, 2016: Free Agent
    #NEXTMANUP
    #LEAVEMARSHAWNALONE
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:53 pm
  • Penman96 wrote:This is no slight on Wilson but looking at it pragmatically, I don't think our "program" needs a $20 / million QB in order to win. This team was built through roster churn, and if Pete / John are good at that we can expect to replace our +$15 million / year guys with other players and still compete. I see Russ a key component of the Seahawks, but necessarily not the star of the team.

He doesn't carry a load like Rodgers or Peyton, nor should he because he isn't asked to. We simply don't need a QB to do that. To remain strong across the board and continue winning we will need players to accept contracts that allow us to keep winning. Not all will do that - but I think most will. Some might take big money in Cleveland or or Dallas or Oakland, and good luck to them. Hope they enjoy the money, because they won't win bugger all.

How did that work for us in 2011? It did not. DO not kid yourself, you still need a stud QB to win the SB, and you are right he does not carry the load like others because they do not ask him to, but there are times he needs to and he does without him this year we do not even make the playoffs. Remember this kid was the most hit, hurried and sacked QB in the league playing behind an o-line without 3 of its starts for most of the year, without his starting TE for 5 games, without his #1 and # WR, with an inconsistent running game most of the year (Lynch only had 3 hundred yard games, and only 7 were he avg over 4 ypc) and he still had a QB rating over 100, still had over 3000 yards, and was top 10 in tds, top 5 in YPA, top 7 in QB rating, and over 500 yards rushing. So yeah he was a star and without him we would have been screwed.
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:57 pm
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:Sign him to 7 years with 70 million guaranteed. That is 70 million in his account, 10 million a year cap hit, and then make the base salary 5 million a season.

really really you must be joking, in fact your whole proposal does not even add up right not to mention is way low for a starting QB of his caliber.
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:58 pm
  • Yeah, don't you think, with the deal we've had for his services thus far, he's more worthy of a big pay day than any first round QB drafted before him? I expect at least 17-20 million a year. I'd be shocked if it were less than that. Sure, he's got the opportunity to be a legend here, but, like anyone else, he's human and one play away from never playing again. He's also got a window of about 12 years, barring injury, to get the most money he can before he's too old to play. I have no doubt he will return whatever investment is made on him. He paid for 22 skill players to go to a camp in CA on his current salary. He is the ultimate team player, but he isn't stupid.
    aawolf
    NET Starter

Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:00 pm
  • Penman96 wrote:This is no slight on Wilson but looking at it pragmatically, I don't think our "program" needs a $20 / million QB in order to win. This team was built through roster churn, and if Pete / John are good at that we can expect to replace our +$15 million / year guys with other players and still compete. I see Russ a key component of the Seahawks, but necessarily not the star of the team.

You think this team would have won the SB if it wasn't for RW's performance? It certainly wasn't the effectiveness of our run game yesterday. His ability to complete perfect passes on 3rd down to extend drives and score points put this game away.

I feel like you're looking at stats as your main argument. RW carries this team, no question. He's worth every penny that Rodgers and especially Flacco.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:25 pm
  • A couple of things I've noted about Russell. He does not have a huge ego that needs to be fed by the media. He will be reasonable in his negotiations with John Schneider. He will seriously consider the effect of his contract on the team's ability to sign Defensive players.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:48 pm
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:A couple of things I've noted about Russell. He does not have a huge ego that needs to be fed by the media. He will be reasonable in his negotiations with John Schneider. He will seriously consider the effect of his contract on the team's ability to sign Defensive players.

Could be but they also need to improve the o-line and find a big WR
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:14 pm
  • $12M a year. RW isn't worried about all that money. Plus contributions in his name to the community, done.
    **ME LONG YOU LOVE TIME**
    Seattle_Stunna_MD
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:17 pm
  • Anthony! wrote:
    CurryStopstheRuns wrote:Sign him to 7 years with 70 million guaranteed. That is 70 million in his account, 10 million a year cap hit, and then make the base salary 5 million a season.

really really you must be joking, in fact your whole proposal does not even add up right not to mention is way low for a starting QB of his caliber.

The contract would best the next highest guaranteed money by 7 million dollars. It is about the guaranteed money, not the yearly cap number.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:21 pm
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:12 million a year + 8 million a year to the Children's Hospital courtesy of Paul Allen.

LOL I like this
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:22 pm
  • Seattle_Stunna_MD wrote:$12M a year. RW isn't worried about all that money. Plus contributions in his name to the community, done.

Maybe it is less then the Franchise tag number of 14 but then again that is 2013 number by the time we can even talk to him the franchise tag number could be much higher.
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:01 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:
    Penman96 wrote:This is no slight on Wilson but looking at it pragmatically, I don't think our "program" needs a $20 / million QB in order to win. This team was built through roster churn, and if Pete / John are good at that we can expect to replace our +$15 million / year guys with other players and still compete. I see Russ a key component of the Seahawks, but necessarily not the star of the team.

You think this team would have won the SB if it wasn't for RW's performance? It certainly wasn't the effectiveness of our run game yesterday. His ability to complete perfect passes on 3rd down to extend drives and score points put this game away.

I feel like you're looking at stats as your main argument. RW carries this team, no question. He's worth every penny that Rodgers and especially Flacco.

I think Wilson certainly contributed to the win. Honestly though, the Seahawks are lead by a great defense, with a run first offence. It's not a QB driven system. I think Wilson would be successful in any system. However, we only need what we need, and the team is more important than any one player in my opinion. I just want the team to keep winning, and I believe in PC and JS we have a couple guys who can find players to fit the program.

As mentioned in the thread already, it will be interesting to see what happens with Newton and Kaep, these are QB's for probably our two biggest rivals, and I would be overjoyed if they paid them $20 million / year. They aren't worth it. Stafford, Romo, Flacco, Cutler...all these QB's play for teams that are not contenders because these are teams that get so freaked out about holding on to a few prized resources they let the rest of the team slide. It's a losing mentality from GM's that seem to be resigned that they got lucky finding good players in the first place, and they are afraid that they can't repeat their success. That mindset is killing dynasties in the salary cap era.

That's exactly what I'd like to see the Seahawks NOT do. I'd more like a program that consistently wins, while at the same churning the roster and getting less expensive, chippy players with something to prove.
    Penman96
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:02 pm
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:A couple of things I've noted about Russell. He does not have a huge ego that needs to be fed by the media. He will be reasonable in his negotiations with John Schneider. He will seriously consider the effect of his contract on the team's ability to sign Defensive players.

This is why I think he will sign for 15-18 million even though he could get 20-25 million easily IF he was all about the money. I just don't think he is.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:09 pm
  • MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    Bigpumpkin wrote:A couple of things I've noted about Russell. He does not have a huge ego that needs to be fed by the media. He will be reasonable in his negotiations with John Schneider. He will seriously consider the effect of his contract on the team's ability to sign Defensive players.

This is why I think he will sign for 15-18 million even though he could get 20-25 million easily IF he was all about the money. I just don't think he is.

We agree 100% :th2thumbs:
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:14 pm
  • Penman96 wrote:We pay him $20 million a year we can forget about any more SuperBowls

This. He's smart and I'm sure he wants to get paid, but if he wants to be competitive, this statement is soooo true.

Look at what Flacco's contract did to the Ravens.

Peyton Manning makes more than our ENTIRE starting defensive unit.

Yes, I know it's market value for QBs but with the quality of QBs coming out of college going up and up, and there are more and more starters coming out every year that are successful earlier, it will start to drive the market down. Probably not in time to help us with Wilson, but it's a fact around the league.

The problem is that crappy teams with bad QBs drive the market. If you don't pay yours, someone will.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:22 pm
  • Hawks46 wrote:
    Penman96 wrote:We pay him $20 million a year we can forget about any more SuperBowls

This. He's smart and I'm sure he wants to get paid, but if he wants to be competitive, this statement is soooo true.

Look at what Flacco's contract did to the Ravens.

Peyton Manning makes more than our ENTIRE starting defensive unit.

Yes, I know it's market value for QBs but with the quality of QBs coming out of college going up and up, and there are more and more starters coming out every year that are successful earlier, it will start to drive the market down. Probably not in time to help us with Wilson, but it's a fact around the league.

The problem is that crappy teams with bad QBs drive the market. If you don't pay yours, someone will.

Peyton Manning got $20M/year and look who was in the SB with us?

Calling Flacco's contract the reason the Ravens were bad this year is ignoring so so so so many different things.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:25 pm
  • I'd say 18-20, but he'll structure it so the cap hit isn't that high. But let's wait on this, a lot can change before that time
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:27 pm
  • Wilson deserves a big payday, he just won the freaking Super Bowl...Seattle's first...

He should get 16-20 mil a year. If he doesn't, then he isn't as smart as we think he is. If he takes more than that...then yeah, that will hurt us.

You also have to understand that the Niners are going to be a year ahead of us with their roster churn (Kaep's contract)(plus already having an older team). Our contract situation isn't much different than theirs.

Keeping Thomas and Wilson around for the next 8 years will keep us relevant for the playoffs, the rest of the roster will have some turnover, but those are the two guys we can build the rest of the team around.
    Timmahawk
    NET Starter

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:27 pm
  • MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    Bigpumpkin wrote:A couple of things I've noted about Russell. He does not have a huge ego that needs to be fed by the media. He will be reasonable in his negotiations with John Schneider. He will seriously consider the effect of his contract on the team's ability to sign Defensive players.

You're also delusional (don't worry, we all are a bit in this one).

I agree wholeheartedly that he would take less $$$ to play with us than any other team, but it can't be ridiculously less. I'd say at max he'll take $1M less than he would somewhere else. We're all working under a cap so other teams can't offer too much more than us.

He has his family and financial legacy to think about that trumps his wants as a professional football player. None of us think he's stupid, why would we expect him to be stupid when it comes to his contract?

This team can survive a lot of different free agents leaving, but not the QB.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:33 pm
  • First off, there is a ton of pressure from other players to negotiate fair value contracts. Wilson giving the Hawks a smoking deal well below market value deal would be screwing all his peers. Not gonna happen. May be structured favorably, but he is gonna get paid.

Also, who on a team is more important than the quarterback? If you want one amazing player, you want it to be the guy taking snaps. I would dump Earl and Sherman in a heartbeat if it was between keeping them or Wilson. Nothing sucks more than suffering through years or even decades of drafting and disposing of lousy quarterbacks IMO. Shoot, or worse, having a guy like Dalton that is just good enough to keep, but just bad enough to make you wonder.
    Kakaww
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:48 pm
  • You folks really tickle me.

I just said in another string.

Peyton Manning got $17.6 million last season for LOSING in the same SuperB owl Russell Wilson JUST WON!

So he should take less money than someone he just out played? Get a grip. And if we win another next season? Then we're really up against it. His agent will say,,,,,,"I can get you A-Rod money if you go somewhere else. And I will guarantee you if that happens and he can get $25 million a year with 4-5 years of it guaranteed,,,,he's gone even if its Cleveland and he'd be stupid not to. He can move back to Seattle after 4-5 years and enjoy the rest of his life here.

He should get fair money for his value, home discount or no. It could very well be his last chance to make big money to last him a lifetime. I'm not going to ask he give it back to us just because of just because.

Tell you what,,,next time you're up for a job review tell the boss you don't need that extra money so why doesn't he just keep it and help someone else on the work team your working with.

And will everyone stop talking about how much money Paul Allen has. His worth has no effect on players salarys. Salary cap is salary cap.

Now I do think Paul Allen spends money on lots of people to be going to colleges watching players upcoming and seeing some that aren't on college radar. That's one of the ways Gonzaga finds silver rated players, they have a great scouting network. they have to do that because a gold player is visable to all teams and trust me almost to a man if a player has a choice between Gonzaga and say Duke, they will take Duke every time because Duke can do more for the player nationally. Mark Few would agree with me. that's why they have such a great scouting team in place.

Same with Seattle. To keep this going at this level Pete is probably going to have to find more blue chip players that other teams ignore like he did to make this team.

On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:07 pm
  • Exactly Radish. The most important part is that Pete and John continue to emphasize the culture and bring in guys that fit. We'll watch some great players leave to get paid what they are able to get. We might see Richard Sherman get a huge contract somewhere else. You can't blame them for being paid. You can't play football forever, you have to make your money now.

Wilson is by far the most important piece. You have to keep him. He's the exact QB for this system. He's focused, he can hand the ball off a million times in a row then be intelligent and accurate with his throw when he's asked. He's mobile so you don't have the best pass blocking line in the world (another way to save cash).

The biggest worries for me are coaches leaving. Tom Cable? Devastating but is going to happen. Ken Norton Jr? Wow, what a job. Quinn deserves a HC job just like Gus Bradley.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:29 pm
  • OK this is a little over the top, but let's say for example next time I have a job review and I get a choice to make between;

$15 million a year, for about 8 years, plus huge local endorsements
    Live here where I'm loved and comfortable
    Have a job I love where my boss is awesome
    I'm on a "team" where my objective is usually achieved, where I'm a celebrated leader in the media
    I get multiple rings from winning the biggest championship in sports
    I'm a household name and HOF'er, and can make endorsements and run charities for the rest of my life when I retire

and;

$20 million a year, for 4 or 5 years, plus few local endorsements
    Live in Cleveland where I have start over
    Have an unstable job I don't know if I'll like, and I'm a goat in the media for not winning and costing too much
    I'm on a "team" where I'm not winning and getting hammered
    I win nothing ever again and retire in relative anonymity...

I'll just stay here :-)
    Penman96
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:29 pm
  • Penman96 wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:
    Penman96 wrote:This is no slight on Wilson but looking at it pragmatically, I don't think our "program" needs a $20 / million QB in order to win. This team was built through roster churn, and if Pete / John are good at that we can expect to replace our +$15 million / year guys with other players and still compete. I see Russ a key component of the Seahawks, but necessarily not the star of the team.

I think Wilson certainly contributed to the win. Honestly though, the Seahawks are lead by a great defense, with a run first offence. It's not a QB driven system. I think Wilson would be successful in any system. However, we only need what we need, and the team is more important than any one player in my opinion. I just want the team to keep winning, and I believe in PC and JS we have a couple guys who can find players to fit the program.

As mentioned in the thread already, it will be interesting to see what happens with Newton and Kaep, these are QB's for probably our two biggest rivals, and I would be overjoyed if they paid them $20 million / year. They aren't worth it. Stafford, Romo, Flacco, Cutler...all these QB's play for teams that are not contenders because these are teams that get so freaked out about holding on to a few prized resources they let the rest of the team slide. It's a losing mentality from GM's that seem to be resigned that they got lucky finding good players in the first place, and they are afraid that they can't repeat their success. That mindset is killing dynasties in the salary cap era.

That's exactly what I'd like to see the Seahawks NOT do. I'd more like a program that consistently wins, while at the same churning the roster and getting less expensive, chippy players with something to prove.

Glad your not GM, you want to win you need a stud QB and for that you need to pay them and while you can say all you want its the systems, the defense etc, we do not win the SB without RW period.
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:31 pm
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:

We agree 100% :th2thumbs:

I actually think 15-18 is right, maybe even 14 but we will see.
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:35 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:Exactly Radish. The most important part is that Pete and John continue to emphasize the culture and bring in guys that fit. We'll watch some great players leave to get paid what they are able to get. We might see Richard Sherman get a huge contract somewhere else. You can't blame them for being paid. You can't play football forever, you have to make your money now.

Wilson is by far the most important piece. You have to keep him. He's the exact QB for this system. He's focused, he can hand the ball off a million times in a row then be intelligent and accurate with his throw when he's asked. He's mobile so you don't have the best pass blocking line in the world (another way to save cash).

The biggest worries for me are coaches leaving. Tom Cable? Devastating but is going to happen. Ken Norton Jr? Wow, what a job. Quinn deserves a HC job just like Gus Bradley.

add in he can light it up for 300+ when needed as well.
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:39 pm
  • Penman96 wrote:OK this is a little over the top, but let's say for example next time I have a job review and I get a choice to make between;

I'm on a "team" where my objective is usually achieved, where I'm a celebrated leader in the media
    I'm a household name and HOF'er, and can make endorsements and run charities for the rest of my life when I retire

and;

Have an unstable job I don't know if I'll like, and I'm a goat in the media for not winning and costing too much

I didn't know Cleveland would be the only team to want to sign RW. I think there are about half the teams in the league that would drop their starting QB for RW (maybe more) and at a cost equal to Joe Flacco? HAHAHA!

He doesn't have to live in Cleveland.
    He wouldn't have a more unstable job than here in Seattle.
    What makes you think they would continue to lose with RW as starting QB?
    He's already a Super Bowl champion, won't ever be anonymous.

He could also:
    Join a team that is maybe a QB away from a championship.
    Get paid millions of dollars every year more than your ridiculous idea of what to pay a SB winning QB
    Get the same endorsements (plenty of national ones) and depending on the market might even be more notable.
    He could turn an average franchise into a great franchise by being their leader.

RW isn't an idiot. Stop trying to suggest as much.

Let's not forget he could sign with a team that won't marginalize his stats by being a 'run-first' team.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:40 pm
  • And please remember endorsements is money the player takes with him anywhere Wilson could leave and Levi would continue paying him a million a year for wearing their jeans. Frankly I like the way his wife looks in those jeans. lol

And lets please not use our personal thinking to say what another person would do. Sure I'd stay here in the Northwest if I could but I'm thinkin Richard Sherman as much as I love him will say "Show me the money" and I can't truly blame him.

Other teams fanbase hating him? Bullroar, as soon as he puts on their uniform he's their newest bestest friend.

Years ago our local Hockey club took on a guy named Gale Holden. He had gone as far in school as he could in BC and was studying to be an attorney so came to Spokane to attend Gonzaga and play for the Spokane Flyers. His nickname was knobby because he was always instigating never still. If the team was being slow and sloppy he'd start hitting guys all over the ice and he was a little guy.

We had hated him all those years he played in Nelson but the minute he became a Spokane Flyer we loved him. All those things we hated about him as another teams player we loved as our teams player.

So moving wouldn't be so bad.

On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:50 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:
    Penman96 wrote:OK this is a little over the top, but let's say for example next time I have a job review and I get a choice to make between;

and;

I didn't know Cleveland would be the only team to want to sign RW. I think there are about half the teams in the league that would drop their starting QB for RW (maybe more) and at a cost equal to Joe Flacco? HAHAHA!

He doesn't have to live in Cleveland.
    He wouldn't have a more unstable job than here in Seattle.
    What makes you think they would continue to lose with RW as starting QB?
    He's already a Super Bowl champion, won't ever be anonymous.

He could also:
    Join a team that is maybe a QB away from a championship.
    Get paid millions of dollars every year more than your ridiculous idea of what to pay a SB winning QB
    Get the same endorsements (plenty of national ones) and depending on the market might even be more notable.
    He could turn an average franchise into a great franchise by being their leader.

RW isn't an idiot. Stop trying to suggest as much.

Let's not forget he could sign with a team that won't marginalize his stats by being a 'run-first' team.

Except this team allready IS built for a championship. Im not saying he should be paid peanuts but its really up to him what he wants his legacy to be. Ya sure he can take a few more million but I think his best chance to win multiple superbowls would be right here as long as John and Pete are here. Just by winning one superbowl he is on the cusp of a legend in Seattle and one of the best seattle athletes of all time. Getting another 1-2 would put him as godlike status in Seattle. I hope he realizes how good he has it in Seattle with this defense we have assembled.

Along with that all I hear is how great this franchise is with Pete, how they treat the players amazing. How they go above and beyond other organizations. How this is like a family and YOU KNOW the fans in Seattle are unlike any other fans in the entire country. We had tons of people line up after a LOSS last year to greet the team. That parade is going to be INSANE wednesday

Then of course his charity work that he is heavily involved in as well

Having said all that....I wont be upset with whatever he gets paid because I love the man. He brought home that Trophy and I think he is one of the best QBs in the entire league and he is STILL underrated it should be criminal. Wilson will ALWAYS be my favorite seahawk QB and I dont think anyone else will ever pass him up.
    Last edited by WilsonMVP on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:53 pm
  • He will never ever take 20 a year. He will take a surprisingly large pay cut. Haven't any of you ever read twitter? He often makes posts of how little money really means to him. I'd say 10-12 possible even lower but it will be a very long (decade?) contract I think.
    theascension
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:57 pm
  • WilsonMVP wrote:
    Except this team allready IS built for a championship. Im not saying he should be paid peanuts but its really up to him what he wants his legacy to be. Ya sure he can take a few more million but I think his best chance to win multiple superbowls would be right here as long as John and Pete are here. Just by winning one superbowl he is on the cusp of a legend in Seattle and one of the best seattle athletes of all time. Getting another 1-2 would put him as godlike status in Seattle. I hope he realizes how good he has it in Seattle with this defense we have assembled.

Along with that all I hear is how great this franchise is with Pete, how they treat the players amazing. How they go above and beyond other organizations. How this is like a family and YOU KNOW the fans in Seattle are unlike any other fans in the entire country. We had tons of people line up after a LOSS last year to greet the team. That parade is going to be INSANE wednesday

Having said all that....I wont be upset with whatever he gets paid because I love the man. He brought home that Trophy and I think he is one of the best QBs in the entire league and he is STILL underrated it should be criminal. Wilson will ALWAYS be my favorite seahawk QB and I dont think anyone else will ever pass him up.

All this is wonderful 'rah rah' that's not based in reality. He can do charity work anywhere in the country. He can still be a great person who helps teams win championships and get paid what he deserves.

The fact is, Seattle is going to pay him what he's worth because he deserves it and you can't let him go.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:57 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:
    hieroglyphics wrote:The question is, say Russell takes $13 million/year, saving the team money to spend on keeping defensive players, Seattle keeps winning, adding another SB or two, surely Wilson does better in endorsements each year winning more Superbowls than an extra $4 million/year in his contract. He could get Manning/Brady type endorsements, becoming a major public face for the NFL, in fact, he could be THE face of the NFL over the next several years with continued, sustained success. Manning made $12 million in endorsements last year, Brady made $7 million. Tony Romo makes $18 million a year in salary but takes home barely anything in endorsements, because he NEVER wins.

What I'm happy about is while Sherman and Wilson will get their pay day, they are smart enough to realize their image and in turn, endorsement deals, benefit from being on a successful team. Maybe each one makes $3 million more in endorsement deals than they would in their contract solely on being with a successful team.

You take the money when it's available to you. Sherman and Wilson both understand they could have a career ending injury tomorrow and all that hopeful endorsement money is gone.

..... Shermans already explained how to manage your money... UNderstand they could have career ending injury tomorrow so after the XX millions in money they get for the promised portion.. Man they will be so hard off.. I might have to give them to shirt off my back

This is why I root for this sport to the extent I can without being disgusted by most of the greedy ass americans in this game. Cuz after the season, these people mean nothing to me.

THey make millions to play an entertainment game.. no.. not a sport.. its an entertainment industry. So frankly, they can take their millions of dollars and go play for whoever they want. I don't honestly respect any of them.. period..

As a normal working joe they may be cool people, but the fad the world has with overpaying for some the dumbest jobs in the world, is beyond me
    Teqneek
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:58 pm
  • My point (over the top, like I said) is Wilson would stay here for less short term money to be on a winner. I'm not suggesting Wilson is stupid, I'm suggesting he's smart. I'm suggesting he's not mercenary.

Brady makes about $13 million / year, he could probably make $10 million a year more. Do you think he's stupid? It happens with winning teams, and it will happen in Seattle given we have a SuperBowl win and seem have become a marquee destination.

Teams who are paying QB's $20 million / year are sacrificing too much money on a single player, and I hope we don't pay anyone that much. However, I think we will find a point where Russ can stay here, without taking so much of the cap it starts handicapping our team.

All will become clear in a year and a few months...
    Penman96
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:58 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:
    WilsonMVP wrote:

All this is wonderful 'rah rah' that's not based in reality. He can do charity work anywhere in the country. He can still be a great person who helps teams win championships and get paid what he deserves.

The fact is, Seattle is going to pay him what he's worth because he deserves it and you can't let him go.

What he deserves... this again why this whole subject is disgusting and laughable.... deserves? He DESERVES 20 million dollars? Really? WTF
    Teqneek
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:01 pm
  • theascension wrote:He will never ever take 20 a year. He will take a surprisingly large pay cut. Haven't any of you ever read twitter? He often makes posts of how little money really means to him. I'd say 10-12 possible even lower but it will be a very long (decade?) contract I think.

You're out of your mind.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:07 pm
  • Penman96 wrote:My point (over the top, like I said) is Wilson would stay here for less short term money to be on a winner. I'm not suggesting Wilson is stupid, I'm suggesting he's smart. I'm suggesting he's not mercenary.

Brady makes about $13 million / year, he could probably make $10 million a year more. Do you think he's stupid? It happens with winning teams, and it will happen in Seattle given we have a SuperBowl win and seem have become a marquee destination.

Teams who are paying QB's $20 million / year are sacrificing too much money on a single player, and I hope we don't pay anyone that much. However, I think we will find a point where Russ can stay here, without taking so much of the cap it starts handicapping our team.

All will become clear in a year and a few months...

His entire deal is basically guaranteed plus $30M signing bonus. Tom Brady took less money to have it all guaranteed. At his age that's a genius move. He's literally guaranteed a $10M paycheck until he's 40 years old

Peyton Manning gets paid 19.2M

$13M a year would literally be equal to the salaries of Sam Bradford. YOU ARE GOING TO PAY RUSSELL WILSON IN 2015 WHAT SAM BRADFORD IS BEING PAID IN 2013?

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:08 pm
  • Teqneek wrote:
    What he deserves... this again why this whole subject is disgusting and laughable.... deserves? He DESERVES 20 million dollars? Really? WTF

Yes, he probably deserves more. He has the #1 selling jersey in the NFL, he led his team to the Super Bowl and won --- The reason why he deserves $20M and we don't should be obvious to you.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:36 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information