Super SEC on the way?

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So the past few days have been chock full of talk surrounding reports that Oklahoma and Texas are planning to jump from the Big 12 to the SEC. All sorts of fallout scenarios have been bandied about as a result. The next couple weeks may get very interesting.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The Super SEC will just become a regular college football. Big programs that can compete with NIL will all be in their own NFL-style conference with their own TV/streaming rights separate from the NCAA.

chris98251

Reaction score
Over the next couple years I get the feeling that College Football and sports are going to change so much we won't recognise them, ten years schools will be folding due to lack of funds and badly managed resources.

ivotuk

Reaction score
'Bama head coach: "My QB just signed for an ungodly amount of money!

Translation: "Come play at Alabama if you want to make big money!"

sdog1981

Reaction score
ivotuk":2i5kqbef said:
'Bama head coach: "My QB just signed for an ungodly amount of money!

Translation: "Come play at Alabama if you want to make big money!"

Every team is doing that now. It will get to a point that a team will just tell a recruit "A starting WR at this program can expect to make X amount of dollars in NIL deals."

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I think it's a matter of time before schools stick two fingers up to the NCAA and give up the pretense of academics and just become a proper junior development league for the NFL.

Now that geography is out the window, if Ohio St or Clemson left to join the SEC, the games a bogey.

I wonder what happens with the remaining Big 12 schools. There's already chatter that USC is unhappy in the PAC 12 and its tv deal but rumors Nebraska wants to join the PAC 12.

Wouldn't shock me if the top PAC 12 and Big 10 teams either merged to form a super conference or formed their own conference in order to compete with the SEC. Like a Big 10 West coast and East coast division. Top half PAC 12- Oregon, Washington, USC, UCLA, maybe Stanford. Some of the remaining top Big 12 teams, maybe BYU and Notre Dame join an east division if they were willing. Big 10 East coast sheds the likes of Rugters. (You could adapt this for basketball for the Arizona schools etc).

Conference championship becomes the Rose bowl in this new super conference.

I imagine the smaller schools would find their level financially such as Oregon St and Washington St and the apple cup/civil war still would be a part of any non conference schedule game.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
One wild speculative rumor is that Kansas & Iowa State will join the Big 10, Oklahoma State & Texas Tech will join the Pac 12, West Virginia will join the ACC, and the remaining 3 schools (TCU, Baylor, Kansas State) will join the AAC. And with the Big 12 dissolved, the AAC will be elevated to take their place as a Power 5 Conference.

sdog1981

Reaction score
SeatownJay":enqjrxdp said:
One wild speculative rumor is that Kansas & Iowa State will join the Big 10, Oklahoma State & Texas Tech will join the Pac 12, West Virginia will join the ACC, and the remaining 3 schools (TCU, Baylor, Kansas State) will join the AAC. And with the Big 12 dissolved, the AAC will be elevated to take their place as a Power 5 Conference.

At this point, nothing seems crazy or way off base. I can see all of that happening or any combination of teams moving confrences.

Latest posts